Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2016, 11:25 PM   #46

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayman77 View Post
Placed my order today aluminum will keep you guys posted it will be well worth it for even 2 more hp do you guys have any suggestions on air breather modds
Nice! I'm looking at one of these also! Please keep me/us posted on how the fitment is. I bet the new exhaust will really open up the power for the bike. I have about 90 miles on mine and it seems like it is getting broke in nicely. I have had MANY people ask me about my bike and what it is, it is quite the head turner! I'm just ready to ditch the muffler that's choking our bikes.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:59 PM   #47

Grin it is here

OK now we are slammed at work and it is over 100° so it might be a couple days but if this gives me 2 hp it will be so worth it I hope it gives 3 I want to get close to 20 hp range if this gets me close I will start looking at a better carb

Old 07-06-2016, 01:07 AM   #48

Quote:
OK now we are slammed at work and it is over 100° so it might be a couple days but if this gives me 2 hp it will be so worth it I hope it gives 3 I want to get close to 20 hp range if this gets me close I will start looking at a better carb
Yes!!! Video tutorial of the install maybe?

Old 07-08-2016, 06:22 PM   #49

it should work

Drill out flang holes are right size just don't match up right

Heat wrap might as well (black)

Maybe a small bent or two

Thought about removing the guard mounts from stock pipe but I like the way it looks naked

It is also about a 6 pound weight loss
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160708_180700.jpg (97.8 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg 20160708_180705.jpg (96.5 KB, 196 views)

Old 07-08-2016, 07:50 PM   #50

Thanks for the pics!! Is the pipe far enough away from the air box? It looks like the bracket on the muffler doesn't quite match up. It almost looks like it would if the pipe was a tiny bit shorter. Could you cut the pipe to get it to line up?

2016 CSC TT250

Old 07-08-2016, 08:13 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjester View Post
Thanks for the pics!! Is the pipe far enough away from the air box? It looks like the bracket on the muffler doesn't quite match up. It almost looks like it would if the pipe was a tiny bit shorter. Could you cut the pipe to get it to line up?
All I have done is stick it up there I have not tried to bolt down it is really close dont think there will be a lot of problems

Old 07-08-2016, 08:23 PM   #52

Thumbs Up

Quote:
All I have done is stick it up there I have not tried to bolt down it is really close dont think there will be a lot of problems
yep, that chrome looks great (as does the color).

that's quite the airbox.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 07-08-2016, 08:38 PM   #53

Oh No yours is bigger than mine

Jayman77...for $123. yours is bigger than mine . Stock Bashan opening is literally the size of a dime. This ought to flow some CFM's. This is looking better and better, damn you sir...

I saw where 2lz picked one up too. If that guy approves it, it's the real deal.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 07-08-2016, 08:40 PM   #54

You can have Cheez with a crow bar or Andrew with a bracket.

Old 07-09-2016, 04:38 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post

Jayman77...for $123. yours is bigger than mine . Stock Bashan opening is literally the size of a dime. This ought to flow some CFM's. This is looking better and better, damn you sir...

I saw where 2lz picked one up too. If that guy approves it, it's the real deal.
I know I am ting to get it done I am just slammed everyday at work but I am off Sunday sucks that my wrap has not arived yet I might go out and try to just buy some and send it back if it don't show up today

Atlest 4x air flow and about 6 pounds less weight in about a hour or to of tinkering

Old 07-09-2016, 10:11 AM   #56

That looks great! Oh man....now I can't wait for the exhaust to arrive. Jayman, let us know how you clear the airbox or if it's a problem.
I took Mrs 2LZ TT out for about 40 more break-in miles yesterday. This thing is choked up with that cat inline. My neighbor was on Q, we ran them together flat out for a about 100 yards and Q pulled away consistently. I need to fix this......

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-09-2016, 01:23 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
For those of us looking to upgrade our TT250 exhaust, let's discuss this little device for a second.

What many call an EGR, I believe is actually an air pump valve. Instead of taking unburnt gasses back through the air cleaner from the exhaust port like an EGR (which would make no sense to toss frying hot gasses on a rubber hose), I believe (at least here in CA), it actually opens and lets fresh, filtered air (O2) IN to the exhaust port and tosses that fresh oxygen on your cat to super heat it under heavy loads. Picture a blow dryer on a charcoal briquette. This little device, to the best of my knowledge, does nothing to hamper power. It's strictly there to help the cat burn excess HC's and CO under heavy throttle, up hills and under load.

That said....when you change your exhaust to a more free breathing unit, without a cat in the way....that little device will be tossing that extra fresh oxygen under load on to your brand new muffler packing, super heating it and shortening it's lifespan.

If you are looking to upgrade your exhaust and delete the cat, I would suggest to either remove the entire assembly and plate off the port at the head....or what we do here in CA. Put a BB in the small vac line to stop the diaphragm from opening....plus stick a large object inside the larger rubber hose that comes from the head. That way, it's no long functioning...but it LOOKS like it's there.
It's the pulse air injection valve and has no relation to EGR nor does it in any way do what EGR does. It's not there for the cat either, but it can take some of the load off the cat and make it more efficient. Pretty sure it does nothing at heavy throttle and I've never heard of it overheating an exhaust system. It's called secondary air injection and it's there to introduce air into the exhaust to burn off any hydrocarbons (unburnt fuel) that made it past combustion in the cylinder. Most cars/trucks accomplish this with a pump, the smog pump, but on bikes it's done with pulse air injection, some cars also use pulse air instead of a pump. After the exhaust stroke there's a small pulse of vacuum created in the exhaust and this vacuum sucks a little bit of air through the pulse air valve. With an aftermarket exhaust some bikes will crackle or rumble on deceleration, blocking the valve supposedly cures that. I haven't had the problem with any of my bikes so I haven't messed with any PAI valves. The system doesn't hamper performance at all other than maybe a bit of turbulence in the exhaust port due to the hole, but disabling the system won't change that unless the hole is welded and blended to eliminate it's existence. Some people think that allowing air to enter reduces the vacuum in the exhaust reducing the positive effects of valve overlap where a vacuum helps the incoming charge fill the cylinder. The theory has validity until one considers that the time it takes for the pulse air to happen will likely be after the exhaust valve has closed. As far as I know the pulse air doesn't function at heavy throttle anyway, it has a vacuum hose and I'm pretty sure that's there to control when the valve should let air in, at times of high vacuum/low load. I watched a dyno run of a Hyabusa with and without the PAI and it didn't change anything. I believe on that bike the computer controls the valve and it's been said that it shuts off under load. A shot of chain lube did add almost 5HP taking it to 197HP at the wheel, don't ignore your chains people.

EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) allows exhaust to enter the intake during cruise operation to reduce the effective compression of the engine lowering cylinder temp. to lower NOX emissions. It shuts off under heavy load so it's not a power robber, but some people think that any emissions device robs power.

Cats also don't rob power if they're not restrictive, but everyone automatically assumes they are restrictive. BTW, I haven't noticed it mentioned but the cat on the TT isn't in the head pipe like the Hawk, it's in the muffler and visible through the outlet. It looks like the outlet could be cut open pretty easily to gain access to the innards of the muffler. Since it has the beauty cap the welding afterwards wouldn't have to be pretty. I suspect that just eliminating the puny outlet and enlarging it to the size of the hole in the cap would add a nice deeper sound and reduce restriction without doing anything else. One could enlarge the hole in the cap pretty easily if wanted to go even further. Efficient and quiet mufflers on a single are challenging. I've made a few mufflers/exhaust systems and the generator on my MH has been the most challenging one so far, but I finally nailed it. Using different lengths of rectangular tubing for the outlet did the trick, my theory at the time was to break up the frequencies and having differing size pipes apparently did it. I used rectangular instead of round to also break up the port noise frequencies, if I'd had two different diameter or shaped tubes Ida used them. That almost 40 year old clunker is quieter than my friends' much newer ones in their fancy rigs.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:15 PM   #58

OK I put it on

Sort of

I have it run all the way to the back and have looked at multiple ways to mount it but I wanted to test it out before I did any real modification to bike os I hooked it in and ran a stainless steel zip tie through two different fastners

It has a lot more get up and go a LOT more and it sounds good

It ran hot very hot not the bike but the muffler itself

It melted a small part of my lisence plate mount just with blow out is this normal

It also made some of the heat wrap I put on it smoke some

have never used heat wrap before and was worried so I removed it

I don't think a hot exshaust would make the engine run hotter but I will be ordering a new lisence plate mount and finding a more permanent mounting position for the exshaust to blow out just a nother learning experience for me

But you won't belive how it opened up the power it is a very different bike

Old 07-09-2016, 08:20 PM   #59

Not sure if the bolt got hot or if it just fell off have heard report of one coming off
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160709_201919.jpg (95.2 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg 20160709_201907.jpg (94.3 KB, 180 views)

Old 07-09-2016, 08:25 PM   #60

Doh! stupid me

I will just clean up the melted plastic perform a cosmetic surgery and learn from this dumb mistake I hope you guys learn from it as well I will be looking for a suitable mount in the morning

Last edited by Jayman77; 07-09-2016 at 09:10 PM.