Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2015, 02:07 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDSRIDER View Post
Both of those bikes also state they are not carb approved and not for sale in CA NJ PA. Leads me to belive theat you would have a hard time in NY too. Doubt they have the plates on them either and I doubt almost any china bikes have that unless they are sold through a us dealer like CSC.
If you look hard enough (on the swingarm), both of those bikes have the required metal plates.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:11 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSR_Sprocket View Post
Hey Sicario - did you ever get your Hawk registered in NY?

When I spoke with Don at APSC (well, mostly listening to his sales pitch), he told me that the Hawk had gone through EPA certification (though he claimed that he was involved, I took that with a grain of salt). Still, I was Jones-ing to get another bike after some cretins stole my 2005 DR-Z400 off my front porch in the middle of September. So on Monday, October 19th, I put $1,399 on my Mastercard and started rubbing my hands in anticipation. And reading forum posts here where the best and brightest butts who have ever straddled a Chinese saddle are happy to help each other out. Especially Weld and Spud (-:

My Hawk arrived that Friday, October 23rd. The documentation (MCO, BCO, ODS) arrived on October 29th. That afternoon I spent about 45 minutes on the phone with Foremost getting insurance. They didn't list Haosen as a manufacturer and the Foremost rep didn't have access to a VIN decoder. She (the rep) was very diligent, though, and started reading me a list of Chinese motorcycle manufacturers. When she mentioned, "Chongqing", I recalled reading that name on this site and we called it a winner. After the insurance cards arrived in my email inbox, I downloaded the required DMV forms and typed in the information (rather than hand-write it, because at times even I cannot read my own writing). This may have been part of the key to my success, though.

The morning of October 30th I took the APSC documents, DMV forms, and my insurance cards down to the DMV office in Troy NY. I was nothing but POLITE to the people behind the counter. I've witnessed too many people being turned away more for their attitude than for the technicalities. In short, I had absolutely no problems getting the Hawk registered and plated. The next day I rode it to a local bike dealer (Ronnie's in Guilderland) and paid my $6 for a mandatory state inspection sticker. The title arrived in the mail last week. The make is listed as HAOSE.

That success seems to have been a coin toss, though. The same day that I registered the Hawk at DMV I also attempted to register a 2002 Honda XR100R that I'd bought last July so my GF could learn to ride in a place without cars, curbs, and pedestrians. NY law requires dirt bikes be registered and insured - even if you are only going to ride it on your own property. Alas, the Previous Owner (PO) had never registered the XR, so all I had was a HAND WRITTEN bill of sale. Unlike the Hawk docs, that wasn't good enough for the people behind the DMV counter that day. For my troubles in trying to be "legal" about off-road riding, all I got for the Honda was two more blank DMV forms and a short lecture about how I needed to have the PO to fill them out before coming back. I was still polite, but I still haven't contacted the PO. Probably never will. I may give it a try at another DMV office. Or I might just sell the bike and buy my GF a scooter with airbags.

I'm hoping that this post, in some way or another, helps out Sicario or anyone else needing to brave the arbitrary landscape of a New York State governement office:

If at first you don't succeed, try another office (and use the knowledge you gained from previous visits). Or try the same office on a different day and claim that you gave it your best shot and really just want to do the right thing.

Or something like that.

Cheers,

Sprocket Man
Wow! I am stunned. Excellent work pulling it off. Let us know how it holds up over time. Meaning, how long will it last. Might last forever. Hope it does.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:00 PM   #48

Today I went to the dmv in Monticello NY and had no issues registering the bike as an ATV. She called up her boss and gave him the vin number and everything checked out.

The bikes were purchased from Motobuys

Old 12-02-2015, 08:59 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntech25 View Post
Today I went to the dmv in Monticello NY and had no issues registering the bike as an ATV. She called up her boss and gave him the vin number and everything checked out.

The bikes were purchased from Motobuys
I think the problem people are having is registering them for road use.

2014 Hawk 250
Firehawk minibike
Previous bikes~
1995 Yamaha YZ125
1998 Yamaha YZ250
1981 Yamaha YZ465
1987 Honda TRX 250R X2 one stock one modified
2002 Buell Blast
2001 Buell X1 Lightning
2000 Kawasaki ZR7

Old 12-03-2015, 09:19 AM   #50

Ahh then I must be confused and now my heart is broken lol. I thought if I got it registered and got insurance for it that I wild be able to ride it on my local streets here. There is barely any cars driving around my area but I still wanted the bike to be legal and not worry about the 50

Old 12-07-2015, 10:19 AM   #51

Just went back to the dmw and they won't register it as a endurno/bike and it's staying as an ATV.

Really sucks that the website would claim its street legal in New York and then you get the bike and the dmw won't register it ;(.

I emailed Motobuys.com and see what they say. I'm sure the ad will change and say not street legal in NY hah

I miss my Suzuki 600 gsxr lol. No issues with that bad boy

Old 12-07-2015, 02:05 PM   #52

Quote:
Just went back to the dmw and they won't register it as a endurno/bike and it's staying as an ATV.

Really sucks that the website would claim its street legal in New York and then you get the bike and the dmw won't register it ;(.

I emailed Motobuys.com and see what they say. I'm sure the ad will change and say not street legal in NY hah

I'm sorry to hear of your problems with the DMV in New York. Thanks for posting your experience; it will warn others.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-07-2015, 02:49 PM   #53

Am sorry to say the only solution is the big government one.....US certification should mean that none of the states can not over ride it and must register all with the certifications. Also means the land of fruits and nuts is still out of step with the rest of us.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:28 AM   #54

Hawk street legal status

Quote:

I registered my hawk in hudson NY early October without a single hiccup. I provided all necessary documents including insurance from geico. lady looked everything over and said it was cool. she even let me write the mileage in where the dealer was supposed to have written the mileage when sold. With respect registering an enduro as an ATV just doesnt make sense to me? idk if you meant would save $50? again with respect that was a terrible idea especially in NY. all you had to do was follow thru as an enduro and if they had a problem you go to another dmv, if they had a problem you go to another one until its registered. I think anyone having trouble doesnt have proper documents or is saying something fishy because this bike was very very easy to register. otherwise mail order registration from VT DMV

Old 12-23-2015, 10:50 AM   #55

Thanks for sharing your experience, Rainmaker.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-03-2016, 07:25 AM   #56

Hi.
I'm new to the forum and was looking at the Hawk 250. I spoke to a notary here in Pa. They said that Pa. has issues with some Chinese Bikes and to get the first 3 VIN characters. Does anyone know what they are? Or has anyone on this site registered one of these in Pa.?
Look forward to replies.
thanks
Dean

Old 01-03-2016, 07:45 AM   #57

Welcome; we are glad you joined us.

I'm sure someone will soon reply with the first 3 VIN characters. If the PRP (People's Republik of Pennsylvania) won't register the Hawk, I'm sure they will register the CSC TT250.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15700
http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15357

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-03-2016, 01:09 PM   #58

Like Spud stated--they will not register the Hawk in Pa, or at least I am 99.9% sure, based on what has transpired in a short amount of time as evidenced by this thread.

The most similar one in price would be to find a Bashan branded one (a lot of the importers change the names, so it is difficult to figure out which Chinese brand it is as opposed to which name the importer/distributor is using).

These guys are a good example-- http://www.motobuys.com/sportbikes.html

When you look at their page, going left to right on the first row, the first two bikes, I am quite sure, are Bashan or Dongfang (which I believe are also legal), while the last two are Hawks. You can see that the site changed the name on all of them. When you look at the second row, the first bike is a Bashan. The names (i.e. Lancer or Vento) are the same for two completely different manufacturer's bikes, but that is what this company decided to name them.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-03-2016, 11:51 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Hi.
I'm new to the forum and was looking at the Hawk 250. I spoke to a notary here in Pa. They said that Pa. has issues with some Chinese Bikes and to get the first 3 VIN characters. Does anyone know what they are? Or has anyone on this site registered one of these in Pa.?
Look forward to replies.
thanks
Dean
Hi Dean,

It's L0W - that's zero, not "O."

The manufacturer is officially Chongqing Haosen Motorcycle Co.,Ltd.

Their model number for the Hawk 250 is the HS250Y-A:

http://www.haosenmotor.com/Products/.../HS250Y-A.aspx

I doubt you'll be able to find any official VIN cross reference that will link the above identifier. I certainly wasn't able to find one. The EPA documentation references the US importer, Ricky Power Sports, LLC and is off-road only, as pointed out elsewhere in this thread.

Here in Texas, they had no idea what it was, but all you have to do is pass a safety inspection, and they verify the VIN at the same time. They ended up titling mine as "RPS." My insurance called it "Other" and they wouldn't offer comprehensive, which I didn't care about anyway. Neither one was able to cross reference the actual manufacturer.

As an escapee from PA myself I can't say I miss the bureaucracy of the Commonwealth, with state stores and the inability to buy beer in a supermarket coming immediately to mind. I think you're making a good choice to do the homework up front before pulling the trigger on the purchase.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:24 AM   #60

Hawk 250

Thanks guys. Really good information from all of you. I will check out some of the other bikes mentioned..

Dean