Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2015, 06:15 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
A happy wife is a very good thing.

That is some major damage to your WR250F. Did either the valve spring, or the valve stem break, allowing the valve to drop?
Not entirely sure, I did have it apart a while ago because it was smoking so I replaced the valve seals and rings. I am thinking that I may have not installed the valve spring retainers correctly and one dropped, so it very well could be my fault. Live and learn I guess lol

Old 05-28-2015, 06:21 PM   #47

It's impossible to know for sure. Those little engines rev very high. I know the engine in my Honda CRF250X will rev to 12,000 rpms.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-28-2015, 06:26 PM   #48

These will rev to 13,500 but when it let go I was crusing between trails on the forest service road, well below the RPM limit. It could have been worse, earlier in the day we were down in the bottom of a nasty trail, slick clay like mud, roots, ruts etc. if it would have let go down there I probably would have left it behind

Old 05-28-2015, 09:44 PM   #49

I'm glad you got the bike home. Even if you don't repair it, you still have a lot of good parts to use, sell, et cetera.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-28-2015, 11:00 PM   #50

I have a 2006 yz450f in the garage I bought with a dropped valve ,I waited and waited and finally found a good used head,valves,cams etc for $350 ,brand new cylinder kit is only $20.00 more than just replacing the piston so about $280 my cost( my cylinder was fine ,but not worth it for $20.00) point is if you look and are lucky you might find another serviceable head on the cheap .

Old 05-29-2015, 12:59 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce's View Post
I have a 2006 yz450f in the garage I bought with a dropped valve ,I waited and waited and finally found a good used head,valves,cams etc for $350 ,brand new cylinder kit is only $20.00 more than just replacing the piston so about $280 my cost( my cylinder was fine ,but not worth it for $20.00) point is if you look and are lucky you might find another serviceable head on the cheap .
I don't have any plans to get rid of it, just parked it in the garage and will keep my eyes open for the parts I need, hopefully at a good price.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:01 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboy4ca View Post
I have also been doing a bit of single track riding at Tamihi and Vedder, LOVE IT, however on my last outing this happened....
You have too many valves in there; I think dirt bikes are only supposed to have two valves. I spotted the problem right away, because I'm technical like that.

Sorry to hear about the dropped valve. Have you read anything about swapping to stainless valves? Perhaps they're stronger. I bet there's a forum discussion about that somewhere.

Good score on the two-smoke! It's nicely equipped, and you'll love that wide ratio trans. You're not likely to drop a valve in it, either.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-29-2015, 02:02 AM   #53

Quote:
I don't have any plans to get rid of it, just parked it in the garage and will keep my eyes open for the parts I need, hopefully at a good price.
Even with our sucky dollar, it pays to shop south of the border. Try some of the major online stores, and see if you can score gaskets, etc that way.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-29-2015, 09:40 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
You have too many valves in there; I think dirt bikes are only supposed to have two valves. I spotted the problem right away, because I'm technical like that.
Yeah, I thought I was looking at an Audi 1.8T cylinder head.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 05-29-2015, 12:14 PM   #55

Quote:

Sorry to hear about the dropped valve. Have you read anything about swapping to stainless valves? Perhaps they're stronger. I bet there's a forum discussion about that somewhere.

Good score on the two-smoke! It's nicely equipped, and you'll love that wide ratio trans. You're not likely to drop a valve in it, either.
When I rebuild the head I will be switching over the stainless steel valves, they are a recommended upgrade.

Quote:
Even with our sucky dollar, it pays to shop south of the border. Try some of the major online stores, and see if you can score gaskets, etc that way.
I had to replace the stator in this bike a couple months ago and there are no aftermarket options for my year so I need OEM. Even with our crappy dollar I saved about $85 ordering it from Partzilla.

If the '93 works out I will take my time rebuilding the '02 and do it right. I am also thinking of looking into possibly converting it to a 2-stroke if possible. We will see, not getting rid of it but not in a rush to fix it either.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:17 PM   #56

Does it not have titanium valves like mine did ?

Old 05-29-2015, 05:34 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce's View Post
Does it not have titanium valves like mine did ?
Yes it did, my piston thought they were tasty

Old 05-29-2015, 05:45 PM   #58

I might have a few for you ,I don't remember which one was eaten by my piston but the rest were serviceable .Besides ,they are only about $600.00 if you bend over nicely .

Old 05-30-2015, 01:10 AM   #59

Quote:
Even with our crappy dollar I saved about $85 ordering it from Partzilla.
Tell me about it! I just bought gas across the border tonight, and paid $0.92 per litre after conversion.

Do you have stuff shipped to Sumas?

Old 05-31-2015, 12:02 AM   #60

Quote:
Tell me about it! I just bought gas across the border tonight, and paid $0.92 per litre after conversion.

Do you have stuff shipped to Sumas?
No I had it shipped to my door because I still haven't got around to getting a passport, even though I have been saying for years that I should.