Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2017, 07:28 PM   #661

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshBash2022 View Post
Okay so I live in Oklahoma and it should be easy to plate the hawk but if the shark 250 is better I might get that. So what you tell me to get is probably what I will end up getting. Im 15 Idk much about anything mechanically. Never rode a dirt bike or anything. So whichever one you think will be the best starter bike. http://www.saferwholesale.com/Hawk-3...awk3enduro.htm
https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/snd/6082405752.html
If you are about to get a China bike or any motorcycle, I would say you are about to become mechanically inclined. Also, considering your age, I would rather see you purchase a cheaper dirt bike and become acquainted with the ways of a 2 wheeler before you purchase and take one out on the hard surface with traffic. It's SERIOUS business riding on the street. Perhaps your different than i as a 15 y.o.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 05-05-2017, 08:15 PM   #662

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
One thing I notice right away about the Shark is the rear drum brake vs. the Hawk's rear disc brakes. The Shark also has a 19 front and 17 rear with more street oriented tires vs. the Hawk 21/18 combo with more off-road oriented tires. The Shark has a balance shaft engine, Hawk does not. The Shark also has an adjustable preload rear shock as well.

Honestly, it's kind of a toss up depending on what you want out of the bike. Both are good in their own right for different reasons.
Since they are all but the same bike in a diffrent flavor...
Buy both and build a bells & whisles model from them...
then put whats left togeather & sell it..

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 05-05-2017, 08:56 PM   #663

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
If you are about to get a China bike or any motorcycle, I would say you are about to become mechanically inclined. Also, considering your age, I would rather see you purchase a cheaper dirt bike and become acquainted with the ways of a 2 wheeler before you purchase and take one out on the hard surface with traffic. It's SERIOUS business riding on the street. Perhaps your different than i as a 15 y.o.
I agree with this, so I would lean towards the hawk as it would be more fit to practice in your yard or something to get the feel for shifting. Also the fact that basically this whole forum knows anything you need to know to fix, mod and outfit the hawk. The shark is newer and hasn't had the test of time so to say. Mods are around so when you do get the license to ride in the street you can rather easily. I would definitely check local dmv to make sure it can be plated. That is my opinion, you could get the shark and practice on it but I think the hawk would make things heck of a lot easier.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:53 PM   #664

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshBash2022 View Post
Okay so I live in Oklahoma and it should be easy to plate the hawk but if the shark 250 is better I might get that. So what you tell me to get is probably what I will end up getting. Im 15 Idk much about anything mechanically. Never rode a dirt bike or anything. So whichever one you think will be the best starter bike. http://www.saferwholesale.com/Hawk-3...awk3enduro.htm
https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/snd/6082405752.html
15? Can you even get a drivers liscence at that age? So. For off pavement riding, a 21 inch front wheel is an advantage. And plenty of different tire tread designs available in that size also. An 18 inch rear is an advantage off road (or on) for the many different tread designs available in both 4.00 X 18 or 100 (mm) 90 X18 sizes. On the other hand, not knowing much about mechanics is a little scary, because you are going to have to wrench your new bike, which ever one you choose. Or, you could look at it as a learning, real world, experience...ARH

Old 05-05-2017, 11:06 PM   #665

Ash, from what you described in your pm i think you will be a good canidate for becoming a responsible rider. You are making all the right noises when considering to become a RESPONSIBLE rider. I like the fact that as you say you will have guidance in the process. I am also in a small town and also a volunteer fire fighter. I have seen what bad decisions can do to motorcyclists. You will ,or already may have experienced alcoholic drinks before and believe me, it doesn't mix with operating a bike. It makes a person more bold and will give you a feeling of invincibility on the bike. This is when things can go south quick. What I call "doing something stupid " ( Superman syndrome). I have said that when riding, you better be 100% on point because its your ass on the line!
Now that I got off the lecture, to me , a bashan bike is a no brainer simply becasue it is 49 state legal. I believe it also has the lifan 229cc counterbalanced engine. I also have that mill in my little blaze bike and it is very smooth and responsive. I have put over 6000 real miles on it over it's first year and it has never given me a lick of trouble. It still pops off every time and surprising enough It sounds like a Honda engine costing thousands of dollars more. I suggest that you learn all you can about these bikes and their differences and narrow down and compare it to what purpose you want , more street, smaller front wheel, more off road, larger front wheel (21in). Even the brozz bike with the smaller wheel is capable of many off road adventures so in that regard not too big a deal. Let your parent know what you think and why and they will be proud to support your decision. Remember when you get it, pictures are a prerequisite
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 05-06-2017, 11:32 PM   #666

Has anyone looked into a proformace no rev limiter cdi for the hawk yet . I'm not sure if the bike has a ac or dc cdi on it . If any has more info I would appreciate the feedback

Old 05-07-2017, 02:18 AM   #667

Quote:
Originally Posted by enforcer89 View Post
Has anyone looked into a proformace no rev limiter cdi for the hawk yet . I'm not sure if the bike has a ac or dc cdi on it . If any has more info I would appreciate the feedback
The thing is just because it can rev higher dosn't mean
it will make more HP... infact the power will drop off..
i think if you looked at a HP/torgue graph you will find
the rev limiter is already set higher than where max power is made..

Add a cam / carb / pipe / port job and things could change....

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

Old 05-07-2017, 04:45 AM   #668

Port job and a larger throttle body and intake would almost be necessary to see any high rev power, and then you will still be limited to the cam profile. All of that work can shift the power a bit, but the cam is usually the factor in major powerband changes at some point.

I would love to get a second head to port though. An honest 20hp with a nice flat power curve would be awesome.

Old 05-07-2017, 05:21 AM   #669

The motor already makes more HP than the bike can use on anything
apart from smooth flat straight ground...

the bike is what it is.... just make it run as good as it can ...& be happy..

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

Old 05-07-2017, 05:23 AM   #670

Lisa Loeb "Stay". It's a real song that reminds me of camshafts and mods that you shouldn't do.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:39 AM   #671

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
The motor already makes more HP than the bike can use on anything
apart from smooth flat straight ground...

the bike is what it is.... just make it run as good as it can ...& be happy..

I am the wrong person to tell "be happy"

I don't do things because they are practical. I don't do things, or not do them, for any matter of reason or sensibility. To quote Heath Ledger from The Dark Knight, "I just do...things"

You say "Just make it as good as you can," but to me, porting the head, that qualifies under that exact statement.. 20hp and a good broad torque curve is only good for flat straight ground? Well, ok, kind of where mine will spend a large portion of its time. Besides, if 20hp is more power than it's capable of handling, there are ways to change that. It's only 6 more hp than the RPS Hawk is rated at (14.1hp) and not exactly a HUGE leap in power. probably only 2-3hp more than this engine with basic mods and a good carb setup already likely achieves. We aren't talking a "hog the ports wider" port job here, just a smoothing of transitions, port matching, and other basic flow tricks that maintain velocity - that helps maintain the power curve.

Reminds me of people in the Goldwing world when someone put twin 40mm IDF's (with 35mm venturies) on their 1000 engine. "Loss of low end and mid range," "Throttles are too big," and so on. The bike made 9 more whp and 7lb-ft almost across the board at the rear wheel. From 2500rpm to redline it was no less than 6.1hp and 5lb-ft. Don't sound impressive does it? Until you consider it's a shaft drive bike at least.

There are things other people think, or say...
"well, this bike was never meant to do x, y, z" True, but that doesn't mean it's not possible to make it do so. Obviously, there will be limits, but I am not looking at motocross or extreme stunts.

"Well, at that point why not simply buy a Honda/Suzuki/Husqvarna/etc" True. I could... But, I didn't. I like a challenge and an adventure.

Plus, even if I do all of this and the bike falls apart. Oh well. I can get another one, put all those parts on that one, and ride it til that one falls apart. Or sell said parts and recover what I can.

You might think it's stupid, silly, or pointless. That's your opinion. I disagree with it.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:10 PM   #672

Hawk mods I've done . Vm26 carb 115 jet / 17t/45t sprockets / airbox mods /exhaust mod . My bike feels like I'm hitting a rev limiter in 5th gear . Shouldn't it be able to go 70-75 reving high in 5th gear ?

Old 05-07-2017, 01:59 PM   #673

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
The thing is just because it can rev higher dosn't mean
it will make more HP... infact the power will drop off..
i think if you looked at a HP/torgue graph you will find
the rev limiter is already set higher than where max power is made..

Add a cam / carb / pipe / port job and things could change....

Yes, torque peak is at about 5000 rpm. Peak power is at +/- 7500 rpm. Rev limiter is at around 8500....ARH

Old 05-07-2017, 02:03 PM   #674

Quote:
Originally Posted by enforcer89 View Post
Hawk mods I've done . Vm26 carb 115 jet / 17t/45t sprockets / airbox mods /exhaust mod . My bike feels like I'm hitting a rev limiter in 5th gear . Shouldn't it be able to go 70-75 reving high in 5th gear ?
Try a 43 tooth rear sprocket. When you hit the rev limiter, you are almost 1000 rpm above horsepower peak...ARH

Old 05-07-2017, 07:51 PM   #675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
Try a 43 tooth rear sprocket. When you hit the rev limiter, you are almost 1000 rpm above horsepower peak...ARH
That's what I'm running 17-43 and it hits 75 mph @ around 8200 rpm.