Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2010, 05:55 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
This looks like the cover I need eh? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chain...#ht_2391wt_939

Good price...
I went and had a look at mine Jim, and it looks identical.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-28-2010, 11:35 PM   #62

Awesome thank you I know you say it's not necessary but I'd hate to wrap my shoe lace around the sprocket or something. $14 Canadian shipped, hard to beat.

I went over after snowboarding today and tidy'd up the wires some more.... Zip ties everywhere It looks good now. The only place that remains untied is from the steering forward, as I still have to hook the headlight up and I need to put on the body panels to do it. I connected that plug to the front brake switch wires, and we fixed up the ignition switch I also took a punch and hammer and knocked out that thin sheet metal "grill" on the front bumper. I'm thinking a thinner tube across, or a hook or hoop would make a great place to hook the tow strap you sent me home with too. I also mounted the rear brake master cylinder and tinkered with that thumb throttle grommet business... I'm going to need to get a proper throttle cable, there's too much play in that cable. If you want it to go with that twist grip throttle you can have it. I also put the new headlight I ordered into the headlight fairing, it doesn't fit quite the same as the old one, they most have changed something... I made it work though.

So I need to order/acquire/get/buy still... (I may forget some stuff)
a throttle cable--- ordered
clutch lever -- sort of sorted out
grips --- bought and installed
gas line -- bought
in line gas switch
fuel filter -- bought
air filter --- bought
jets -- bought
tubes -- installed

I'm not sure the length of a stock throttle cable, but I found this one on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Throt...ht_4674wt_1010 I bet it will do the trick, and it even comes with the piece I need to go on the thumb throttle end! $6, good deal. I'd check with gio but they no longer list parts on the site, I suppose I could give them a call and see if they could throw one in with the carbs.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:12 AM   #63

That tow hook is a smart idea. We should do that to all of our machines. I put a hook on the back of my daughter's quad for towing jr. dragsters, and it has come in handy a few times on the trails. I welded a triangle where that reflector bracket is behind the seat. I have several more of the triangles if you'd like.

Thanks for the offer of the throttle cable; it will be useful for my project.

Don't forget about Gnarly Parts when it comes to levers and grips (I'd be happy to go on a road trip there this week with you if you'd like). You can buy the Uni, fuel line, jets (get a 110 and a 25), valve and fuel filter from Clearbrook, just make sure to get the US made filter. Would you like sample jets to bring into Clearbrook?

I ordered the tubes from Fountain Tire, and Luke says they're $7.50 and $8.25 a piece (or something close to that). You'll have all four for a little more than $30, and he agreed to install them and be captured on video for the benefit of the forum. He's an awesome guy without a machine to ride, so I like to bring him along whenever we can.

That cable looks right, although you're welcome to the cable from the mini atv if it's not too short.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-29-2010, 03:36 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
That tow hook is a smart idea. We should do that to all of our machines. I put a hook on the back of my daughter's quad for towing jr. dragsters, and it has come in handy a few times on the trails. I welded a triangle where that reflector bracket is behind the seat. I have several more of the triangles if you'd like.

Thanks for the offer of the throttle cable; it will be useful for my project.

Don't forget about Gnarly Parts when it comes to levers and grips (I'd be happy to go on a road trip there this week with you if you'd like). You can buy the Uni, fuel line, jets (get a 110 and a 25), valve and fuel filter from Clearbrook, just make sure to get the US made filter. Would you like sample jets to bring into Clearbrook?

I ordered the tubes from Fountain Tire, and Luke says they're $7.50 and $8.25 a piece (or something close to that). You'll have all four for a little more than $30, and he agreed to install them and be captured on video for the benefit of the forum. He's an awesome guy without a machine to ride, so I like to bring him along whenever we can.

That cable looks right, although you're welcome to the cable from the mini atv if it's not too short.
I've seen some grips on ebay for about $5, I don't think I can match that locally, but I'll have to check around I suppose. I should be able to take the jets I get with the "mikuni" carb in with me right, I think they aren't shipping it until the other comes in stock though so no rush on that.

So for the tubes, I suppose just pull the wheels off and bring them over whenever you guys are ready on that? And $40 cash for Luke should work, I don't know if there's extra fee's/levies etc on those?

Are the atv tires a lot harder to get on and off then the motorcycle tires?

If the mini atv cable is long enough I could use it, though this one on ebay is pretty darn cheap and comes with the piece I need on the end anyways...

Old 12-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #65

You're right, you can take the Mikuni jets out of your new carb if you prefer. I'm just offering the opportunity to buy them in advance.

Yes, if you could bring the wheels over when we have the tubes, Luke will install the tubes. $40.00 sounds like it would cover it, but I'll let you know if I learn differently.

Yes, atv tires are more of a chore, but Luke can do 'em with his eyes closed.

You're right, the throttle cable you found is a good deal, and there's no way the one I have is 46".

Old 12-29-2010, 01:41 PM   #66

Also I'm not sure what he wants for the trouble of coming over and installing them, just let me know Thanks.

I'm never in too big of a hurry to get a project done, as you can tell by my Honda's and my GMC I'll wait on the jets until the carb arrives I don't know when it will even ship.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #67

Beer is the answer.

It's often the answer.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:39 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I put a hook on the back of my daughter's quad for towing jr. dragsters, and it has come in handy a few times on the trails. I welded a triangle where that reflector bracket is behind the seat. I have several more of the triangles if you'd like.
I'll have to have a look at yours, I'm going to want a hook on the back too.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:52 AM   #69

congrats on the build and getting it running, im kind of in the same boat as you. stripped my quad down to bare frame cept for the motor and repainted, cleaned the wirring, and replacing random stuff..

could you post a link to the throttle cable you ordered ? mine is shot and i have yet to find the proper one anywhere. i sent you a pm before findingt his thread so figured id ask here for future people to find. so forget about that pm..

btw rockymountain has some nice levers, im considering swapping out to a new lever setup, figured out if you go this route. get a lever set that has "hot start", its like a choke lever built into it.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #70

I'm going the cheap route, whatever lever I can get the cheapest is going on it.

The choke cable I got is ebay number 130403105861 I don't know if it's the same as the stock one or not, I didn't have a stock one.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #71

the cable has the correct ends on the exposed wire, and the adjuster is in the right place, but it does not have the bent peice of metal that turns the cable down to the carb..

is that going to be a problem when the cable turns to go to the cap on the carb ? i was looking at that very cable but kept turning away from it cuz it was missing that right angle bend on the carb end of the cable.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:51 PM   #72

I don't know, like I said I don't have a stock cable to compare to it... Whenever it arrives I'll try it out and let you know if it works.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #73

thanks man, i was throwing that last question about it working with out that bend out for any one who might know.

btw before its all back together, if you have yet to do this then you should.. stand the quad up on the rear wheels and rear grab bar, and drill a hole in the skid plate so you can get a socket on that drain plug.. just me the only way to get to it is with a wrench and from the rear just under the swing arm. you only get 1/8 turns each turn before you have to pull the wrench off and move it to get another 1/8 turn on it..

Old 01-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #74

That's a good idea, I'll probably just drain it through the side screen one though. I'll have a look and see how accessible both options are. Thanks.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #75

the side screen port does not completely drain my engine, there is always a decent amount left that comes out when i pull the drain plug. but either way, if you ever think you are going to need to access the drain plug. id drill it out now before it becomes a "chore" to drill it once its up and running.