Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #61

Keith's ALL the way!!

I won a 3m monster decal kit for the 250 yesterday. I started fome frame work ont he old girl, I guy off ALL the unused tabs on teh rear subframe and ground it all smooth., then put a coat of black tremclad over the ground areas.

I intend on doing the same thing with the rest of the frame, and then installing a few needed clips and tabs to hold my hydraulic clutch line away from the heat sources surrounding it.

Then, the bike is coming apart 100%, being sandblaster and primered with a rust inhibiting primer. then ALL the black frame, is being painted lime green (to match the monster energy kit), and being put together with stainless hardware (in non load bearing applications) and chromed hardware (in load bearing applications)

I am going to install a mini battery kill switch, a decent start/kill switch from a CRF 150, and a few other mods (like mounting the back fender to the frame, and not the seat. Wing nuts to remove teh seat on teh trail to diagnost electrical issues, a steel bodied fuel filter with reusable filter, blue synthetic fuel lines, adapter to move the air fitting on the rear shoc to a more accessable location, new back tire (Kenda Millville 90/100 16) and a new set of back brake pads (they are at 1/2 now, I don't want to ruin a rotor)

I also DEPSERATLY need a carb. I got the mixture richened up as FAR as I can adjust it, and I am still running WAY lean. After 5 minutes of WIDE open riding, the exhaust pipe is glowing. I Don't think there is junk in the stock carb, but I am going to check it out. I want a true Mukuni 30MM anyways, something a little less finicky and a little more reliable.

This will all be taking place VERY shortly...like over the next couple of weeks.

I had the bike up on Kijiji for a while, to see what kind of interest it might bring. I know the economy is tough, but I am not going to let the bike go for pennies on teh dollar, or for whatever junk people have in their garages. TV's, pocket bikes that won't run, 4 wheelers that have no engines, 3/4 bald tires for my car...I think I am going to keep it, and run it.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #62

Keith's is enjoyable, but their IPA isn't nearly hoppy enough. The dark and the amber are pretty good, and even the white is decent. If you want a really good IPA, the best I've had are from Oregon. It seems that every brewery offers one, and they'll make you pucker.

You've got the engine dialed in to where you like it, so why not keep it? The 30mm Mikuni I've bought (several times) is only $40.00 including shipping, so that will solve your carb issue. On Son of Weldangrind's pushrod 230, I found that it likes a 115 main and a 30 slow jet, using a stock Honda air box and a China wide open muffler. I expect your bike to have similar needs, since it's also around 230cc.

I'm a big believer in SS hardware. I even swap the carb bowl screws to SS socket head cap screws.

Do you do the painting yourself?

I never thought of a CRF150 start switch; that's an excellent idea for a project we're about to start.

I use snowmobile fuel line (the blue stuff), because it remains flexible in cold weather. It's also cheap, like me.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #63

Where did you get your cab at for $40? I have been doing some looking but I can only come up with about $65 for a cheap one.

I have painted before, but I HATE doing bodywork and painting. I don't know why, but I HATE it. I am pretty damn good at it, but I HATE it!! lol I got the guns and all teh gear, so I am goign to lay out a REALLY nice, couple of even coats of green. Make it last.

I just thought of something else I want to do...and that's load the inside of the frame with fluid film once it's painted. Keep any rust from forming inside the frame I might as well, I will have the bike apart and hanging from a forklift to paint it, so what's another $40 and an hour of my time?

The worst part is goign to be keeping all the bolts bagged up and labelled as to what they are for...and having the bolt store go through them and get me proper stainless replacements without mixing anythign up.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:22 PM   #64

Fluid Film is the good stuff! I use it on all kinds of stuff, including my garage door hardware.

Here's the carb: Carburetor Carb ATV Dirt Bike Quad Honda MIKUNI 30mm

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #65

Thanks Weld. I am going to be ordering one tonight when I return from gettting my taxes done. God I love overpaying all year to get a big cheque this time of year.

Well, I got all the primer bought, and my paint. I decided on a flourescent green rustoleum paint.

http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=105

The green color of course. A good layer of grey primer and then 3 or 4 coats of this should give me the results I want. The grey primer should dull down the color a little.

Tonight, I jamed on another gio 250 carb with a "drilled" out main jet. The guy I got it from said it was similar to a 145 main jet with a 30 pilot. WOW! This thing comes to LIFE now!!! On gravel, forget about more than 1/2 throttle.

I think I am picking up a 2007 pushrod 250 gio this weekend coming (a week tomorrow) I think the guy ordered an OHC piston for it, which has a bigger bore than the pushrod. He thinks it's a 125 engine in it, but I think otherwise.

It comes with 2 or 3 motors, a pile of 125 gio parts, a bunch of yamoto parts (similar to gio, if not identical) and a good frame, suspension and plastics.....$250.

That thing will be getting the cases split, new crank bearings, rod bearing, all gaskets and seals, hot stator, bored out cylinder, plained head, hot ignition and a custom air box....like a custom fiberglass airbox. I am working on something for my 250, so it's WAY wasier to change the filter and you don't have to take teh clamp off the carb EVERY time...what a PITA to get at!!

What do you guys think of a CR 125 or CR 250 engine in a gio 250? Sleeper or what?!

Old 04-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #66

Ok, new development. The new carb with it's pilot, and the mixture screw opened way up...it's still running lean. I took it for a 5 minute run at WOT, and the exhaust pipe was glowing red....not as badly as teh first time I noticed teh lean condition, but enough to make me notice.

It still pops when you let off the fuel, but again, not nearly as badly.

Gooberment took me for some $$, so the paint and sandblast is the only thing in the budget until work opens up....carb will have to wait.

Can I drill the main jet out anymore with a precision drill bit and press?

Old 04-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #67

Can I drill the main jet out anymore with a precision drill bit and press?

I suppose so. My buddy's motorcycle shop has a special tool kit for just that purpose. May be cheaper to buy a new jet or bring jet to a local shop than to buy the drill bit kit though.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:26 AM   #68

I drill main jets all the time. Last night, I drilled out a main jet for Midlifekrisis. I started with a 100 and drilled it out to about 114. You need a numbered drill bit set that goes as low as 60. I use a small manual drill made by Fiskars for that purpose; they also make scissors and garden tools.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:29 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyexponent
What do you guys think of a CR 125 or CR 250 engine in a gio 250? Sleeper or what?!
Two strokes are too peaky for my liking in the woods; I love four strokes for bush bikes. Two strokes are awesome for racing, but I don't do silly stuff like that at my age.

That green you picked should look really cool! 8)

Old 05-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #70

If she jumped her timing and retarded the cam timing 2 teeth, would that cause her to run hot?

When I found out my cam tensioner let go and I parked it, it had jumped two teeth on me. I fixed it, turned my idile down a 1/4 turn and all is well now. It seems to work a little better, but I need to re-lash my valves sometime this weekend.

I have been testiculars to teh wall with work. I just finished up working on a 2007 International Workstar for my boss. We owned it, but we sold it and we agreed to get the truck through safety inspection by fixing whatever it needed. $25 an hour to wrench is just FINE with me!

Old 05-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
Two strokes are too peaky for my liking in the woods; I love four strokes for bush bikes. Two strokes are awesome for racing, but I don't do silly stuff like that at my age.

That green you picked should look really cool! 8)
I can just imagine Vicki on a 125cc two stroke hornet. He has trouble moderating the throttle on a 4 stroke....I think she would climb a tree with a two stroke lol.

We will know how that green will look in 2 weeks time. I am waiting for my buddy to finish his annual fishing trip to Mooseland, and we willdrag my bike into his shop, strip it down...sandblast it, paint it, re assemble and I will have his professional decal installer put the monster decals on my black plastics. This should be a one of a kind bike all around when I finish.

I would LOVE to get a better rear shock, any ideas what might be a bolt on deal for this thing? I THINK I have a set of front forks off a CR85 for free, but don't hold me to that.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #72

Quote:

I also DEPSERATLY need a carb.

I had the bike up on Kijiji for a while, to see what kind of interest it might bring. I know the economy is tough, but I am not going to let the bike go for pennies on teh dollar, or for whatever junk people have in their garages. TV's, pocket bikes that won't run, 4 wheelers that have no engines, 3/4 bald tires for my car...I think I am going to keep it, and run it.
hahahaha Hi have mine up there too over here in PEI and i got trade messages for ipod touch, rc cars, ps3, trucks with no back window, a civic with no engine, cell phones,, all kinds of junk,,, old 3wheelers needing work. It needs work and ill take 600 for it as it sits,, thats what i have into it,,, its got the PZ30 carb on it if that catches your interest... I wanna sell the hole bike tho.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:09 AM   #73

Quote:
If she jumped her timing and retarded the cam timing 2 teeth, would that cause her to run hot?

When I found out my cam tensioner let go and I parked it, it had jumped two teeth on me. I fixed it, turned my idile down a 1/4 turn and all is well now. It seems to work a little better, but I need to re-lash my valves sometime this weekend.

I have been testiculars to teh wall with work. I just finished up working on a 2007 International Workstar for my boss. We owned it, but we sold it and we agreed to get the truck through safety inspection by fixing whatever it needed. $25 an hour to wrench is just FINE with me!
For sure! Retarded timing generates heat, so it's a good thing you found it.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #74

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=ccc8030b71

Last tow pictures on the album. the decal kit came in finally, and I got it installed. I need to hit it with the heat gun a little to detail it, but it looks like a whole other bike!

On another note...that green paint isn't available at ANY local Canadian Tire anymore.....I am thinking either silver, or alunimum paint color for the frame now. Either way, I am dusting the engine with a jet black gloss VHT high temperature paint. Make the whole thing look like it came off the showroom floor....although it's not far from it the way it sits now!![/img]

Old 05-06-2012, 02:12 AM   #75

That looks amazing! Please share a link to where you got the decals from; I'd like to get some for a buddy of mine.