Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2010, 10:19 PM   #61

Is there room to hang it opposite the muffler, under the seat? That might allow you to use the stock airbox, unless it is in the way of the electric start.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-17-2010, 08:42 AM   #62

Not sure about opposite the muffler. I already have the pod filter and don't plan to ride in water or mud. Having to clean up after the ride is not my idea of fun.

That and I think putting the battery in the frame will protect it more. Pretty much the same as Doc has.

I have the 90 for mudding.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:40 AM   #63

For now, you do. Once you ride the CT70 with a 125, I see another 125 engine in your future for your 90.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-17-2010, 09:50 AM   #64

The 90 does just fine for the putzing in the woods I do. Surpisingly it still runs after all the abuse its been given.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:42 AM   #65

The battery (A Q/DR200SE battery at any rate) will fit in a modified airbox and no cradle fabrication was needed in my case. Now that i've done it, I can walk you through the process and if you have a Dremel with a cut off wheel and 20 minutes you're good to go.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:02 PM   #66

I have a battery that I think is good. Plan to try and use it. Otherwise I will have to buy one.

Good news. I think the sprocket arrived today. I can maybe get the drive portion in place.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
I have a battery that I think is good. Plan to try and use it. Otherwise I will have to buy one.

Good news. I think the sprocket arrived today. I can maybe get the drive portion in place.
Good news!

If you need to buy a battery I'd recommend one for a 2009 Suzuki DR200SE/Q. It just happens to be a perfect fit. I also recommend a gel cell as they have a little more power and have no vent hose and are supposed to be more vibration resistant.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:55 AM   #68

Kato's airbox might be different, due to the later model year. That doesn't mean it won't work as a battery box, but it might not fit the same as the '83.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:03 AM   #69

I haven't really got that far along yet so I don't know if my airbox is different. The sprocket from hooper did come yesterday so now I am just waiting on the cdi and exhaust gasket.

Picked up some paint for the exhaust. Hoping that I can actually work on it this weekend for a couple hours. I believe I will save the wiring for last.

Doc, I don't plan to make mine pretty. It wouldn't fit in around here then.

I am going to try and remove the paint from the tank and plastics. Someone did a poor job.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:08 AM   #70

Kato, please post a comparison photo of the Hooper solution vs. the original 520 sprocket. I'd like to understand the difference.

We've removed plenty of paint from bike plastic. It's easy on a gas tank, since the gas permeates the tank and bubbles the paint very quickly. Ususally a pressure washer will remove most of it.

For side panels and fenders, we use a combination of laquer thinner and wet sanding (for stubborn spots). It's a lot of work.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:16 PM   #71

Here is the sprocket. It is just a 520 sprocket that fits the lifan splines. This is the one that Doc used.
http://www.hooperimports.com/product...id=CSS520-Vert

As for the plastic. The tank is peeling. I can sand and fusion the fenders and sidecovers. Just a quick spray to something that resembles the Honda orange/red. I didn't see a fusion color that looked close last night.

Not going to bother with painting the tank. It will just peel off again.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #72

You can sand and decal the tank. My repalcement tank was already smooth and shiny so it required no work at all. Here's what I have coming to replace my stock faded tank decals:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Chevy smallblock red engine paint available from the autoparts store is a good match for my color honda. My friend painted his Honda 250cc ATV with a Rustoleum paint made for plastics and it was 100% perfect match for his. You may want to look into that. Honda has several reds.... :evil:

Old 11-18-2010, 08:52 PM   #73

Well, the good news is that I fixed the lights in my shed. The bad is that the GA humidity has taken its toll on my engine. Seems that lack of use and sitting on the shed floor for the past year and half have rusted the rings to the cylinder wall. I could not kick it over. Fill the cylinder with PB blaster and will let it soak.

I did put the new sprocket and chain on. Appears to be lined up. Was concerned that it was off when I first put the sprocket on. Believe that I will need some rear wheel bearings.

Took some pics on my phone. Need to upload them yet.

Going to have to use the xr intake like everyone else. Contemplating using the stock airbox now since the carb is identical to the stock xr carb. Would need a new stock air filter then too. Not sure where I am going to put the battery.

This is going to be a little longer yet.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:19 PM   #74

Possible battery. Need to check to see if its still good.

The reservoir for the rear shock just clears the starter.

New chain

Maybe tomorrow night I can do some more. Will take the Canon out there so that I can get some better pics.

I am sure the engine will free up with some time. I have freed others.

Going to mount up the bars and controls from my lifan. Hook up the clutch cable. Clean up the exhaust and paint it. I may sand some of the frame and touch it up.

Wife is having one of those women things parties tomorrow night. Good excuse for me to hide. :wink:

Old 11-18-2010, 11:46 PM   #75

What's humidity? :wink:

I'm bummed that the motor is not turning. Hopefully it will free up easily with no damage to the cylinder or rings.

I'd highly recommend the battery. Stock air filters for these bikes are a little pricey, and the Uni is cheap. This will free up the airbox for the battery and the electric start will be a major blessing down the road. Yesterday when I stalled in that tumbleweed forest I would not have been able to use the kickstarter and I was grateful for The Button. Ditto last weekend when I stalled in the creek. Plus if you sell it someday the electric start will attract buyers.

JMHO.