Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2014, 10:35 AM   #76

I think I saw that 'bike' in the pits at Bonneville last year. If not, I saw a few 'bikes' very similar.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmprestine View Post
A few years ago I started making some motor-bicycles. Around here the laws are very liberal for them, basically anything that has pedals is fine, all you need is a something that looks like a bike and an engine. I have always been fond of the old makes and their simplicity. I like the board track racers and this guy makes some of the best around. Check out his web and flickr page, especially the flickr page as the photos are awesome.

http://www.sportsmanflyer.com/bikes.html

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sportsmanflyer/

Walmart, Harbor Frieght, and Ebay really make this to easy and cheap. A word of warning - DO NOT look into it if you are week and have project issues like me! Its a sickness I tell people.

I have made a few and I am currently working on one and could start a thread on it or just on the engine part. The quality of these engines is pretty amazing for the price. And when you remove the governor and put a good carb on them they really rip.

I remember when I was about 7 and bought a Rupp mini bike at a garage sale for $15. Didn't run but I took care of that. Never had a Dad so Mom was pretty proud and that really started it all for me.

Matt
I always wanted a Rupp, ever since I read Mini Bike Hero in 1977.

Please start a thread on the whole project, not just the engine.

A gentleman on this forum did something similar, except he used a Zong engine: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=13621

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-02-2014, 01:27 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
I think I saw that 'bike' in the pits at Bonneville last year. If not, I saw a few 'bikes' very similar.
Yep. Here's one of the bikes we saw at Bonneville:

Name:  DSC06472.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  93.9 KB

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-10-2014, 01:47 AM   #79

Well, the signal light flasher mod lasted almost one whole day.

The cheap Napa flasher I was using couldn't stand up to the vibration, so I substituted the flasher from the Roketa for now. It works great. Is suspect that I could find a heavy duty flasher at Napa, but I'll just find one online instead.

This is the Roketa flasher that I installed under Lifanda's seat.

Name:  IMG-20140809-00253.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  94.4 KB

Old 08-11-2014, 01:06 AM   #80

I failed to properly report that six (!) spokes broke while Son of Weldangrind was riding to Bonneville last year, so I dealt with that this year. I had custom stainless spokes manufactured at Buchanan's, and I believe the cost to be totally worth it. If anybody wants to order SS spokes from Buchanan's for an identical wheel, they now have the details on file. Send me a PM if you want the info.

When the spokes originally broke, the wheel looked like something from a clown car; the rim looked taco'd. I was shocked to learn that the rim is unharmed! The rim that looked so bad last year is back on Lifanda.

The problem is with the tire, since the broken spoke incident. When Bro-in-Law and I went riding last week, the front wheel had a wicked hop in it, despite considerable effort to balance the tire. Today, I pulled the tire back off the rim, removed the rim lock, covered the spokes with two wraps of Gorilla tape and put the tire back on. I spent about an hour inflating the tire up to 40psi, spinning the rim on the truing stand, identifying the bulged area, deflating the tire, adjusting it and repeating. The tire still has a slight wobble and hop to it, but it's much better.

I deflated the tire to 26psi and went for a victory cruise tonight. It's livable. I'll wait until this tire has a few more miles on it before I replace it.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:09 AM   #81

I really don't like the spark arrestor insert that's in the muffler I bought. I think I'll replace it with an insert that is like the one from my old '96 XR250R, since it's much less restrictive. I tried the '96 in my muffler tonight, and it was noticeably less restrictive. I'll need to rejet, but that's easy.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:57 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
...but I'll just find one online instead...
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/121404217004
===
REAL cost in Guangzhou bike mart
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=38700497132

Last edited by humanbeing; 08-11-2014 at 09:12 AM.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:10 PM   #83

Question Exhaust work question, what kind of steel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Made a little more progress on the weekend. I wanted a free-flowing muffler that the USFS guys would approve of, and I wanted a cleanable spark arrestor. I found a 2001 XR250R muffler for a fair price on eBay, so I bent some tube and welded it together. The muffler came with a quiet core insert, but I also have a wide open insert on my '96 XR250R, so we'll see which one sounds better.

I also cut the heat shield mounting bungs off of the head pipe and re-welded them to accept a different heat shield that I had laying around. The original heat shield is really large, and I wanted something smaller. If I get motivated enough, I might build a custom shield out of stainless.

After I was satisfied with the fit, I painted the exhaust system with semi-gloss black heat paint. I also made some progress in fabricating a headlight mount. No pics for that yet.
Setting the bar high again! Really nice work Weldandgrind. It seems like I am going to be doing the same thing.

What type of steel pipe did you use for the mid-pipe area, or use typically for exhausts? Is this something found in a local pipe yard, or can onlinemetals.com satisfy for this small project? (Driving to town from the sticks costs me $32 so online is my first choice.)

Thanks!!
Jim

2007 Shineray Speedee 150, 1P57QMJ: Needs: starter rewired, exhaust connected, cleaned up, ignition switch simplified, new seat and lights, new front and back racks.

There's no such thing as a free puppy or motorcycle. I think I have caught the fever from y'all.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:42 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
Thanks! I'll order one soon.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:44 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankme View Post
Setting the bar high again! Really nice work Weldandgrind. It seems like I am going to be doing the same thing.

What type of steel pipe did you use for the mid-pipe area, or use typically for exhausts? Is this something found in a local pipe yard, or can onlinemetals.com satisfy for this small project? (Driving to town from the sticks costs me $32 so online is my first choice.)

Thanks!!
Jim
Thanks. I can't recall what I used, but I doubt that I would have used DOM, because it's not necessary for this task. Probably just mild steel tubing, and I was more focused on the size than the material.

The mandrels I have with my tubing roller don't match the specific size I was bending, so it creased the tube a bit. It still flows.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:26 PM   #86

Hmm, what is DOM?

Thanks!
Jim

2007 Shineray Speedee 150, 1P57QMJ: Needs: starter rewired, exhaust connected, cleaned up, ignition switch simplified, new seat and lights, new front and back racks.

There's no such thing as a free puppy or motorcycle. I think I have caught the fever from y'all.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:44 PM   #87

Ah, Drawn Over Mandrel.

Ok so this 4130 is what I am looking at: here Is this what I'm looking for? or is the A513 kind of stuff closer?

This OD matches the exhaust pipe's diameter. And what I think I'm measuring as thickness on it as well. So, pull the trigger or use something else? I only have square tube laying around and 4" pipe as well, nothing smaller.

Thanks!
Jim

Last edited by tankme; 08-11-2014 at 03:37 PM. Reason: typos, and another question-of course

Old 08-12-2014, 05:31 PM   #88

I'm not that fussy. If the tube matches the pipe, I burn it in.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:45 PM   #89

Gotcha, I did order some mild tube as the local yard doesn't carry thin stuff. Also good to know you can weld it while it's on the bike.

I'll be lucky if my finished exhaust looks half as good!
Thanks!
Jim

Old 08-13-2014, 05:13 PM   #90

I only spot weld on the bike. Finish welding is on the bench.