Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2016, 10:55 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
Old wisdom (older guy will tell u similar tricks in US if ask... ) NEVER dies. Another trick common from there IS "temp fuel tank" (as showroom ...) : plastic (PET) bottle + tube ...
Please explain.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-17-2016, 12:12 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrax View Post
Being this is my first China bike I can only compare it to the slew of Japanese bikes I've owned over the past 50 years. There are some very cheap components on this bike like the foot pegs, switches, shift lever, etc. All these are easy to replace and inexpensive to replace if they fail. The core of the bike, engine,frame suspension seem good so far.
The Hawk reminds me very much of my Hondas I owned in the 60's. I loved my Honda CA110 and CS90. Both were solid reliable and economical street bikes that I abused off road in the Loess Hills of Western Iowa as a kid. Bent levers and broken bits were just part of the ride.
You're correct. In general, the switchgear is cheap, and the bikes are heavy. However, the Chinese engines are reliable and well manufactured.

Some manufacturers, such as Zongshen and Qingqi, manufacture bikes with better quality control, and a higher standard for fit and finish. Nevertheless, most Chinese bikes represent a good value for the money spent.

You are now an official China Rider.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-17-2016, 01:07 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranberg View Post
I did a search on advrider.com about coil on plug, and it seams that the BMW boxer owners have a lot of problems with them.
I will have to read up on that, do you know if they come from the factory with them? If not, and people upgrade to C.O.P.s it might be how it was originally designed to sparks 2 or more plugs? If they do come with Coil on Plugs they might just be a weak source on the bike ?

But I found this mod being done to several other Single Cylinder Thumper bikes (Harley, Suzuki, other Kawi's, Honda, etc.) with great success and no problems posted for years (first mod I found like this was posted way back in 06 or so ), no one ever posted doing it to a KLR so I spent the little $ to try it... had little room to do the mod but was able to do it NO problem

Going to get a few more full tanks of gas run through it to get a better report on mpg... the numbers will be a little off now as I did a few other things to my bike that will effect those numbers one way or the other, but probably for the better (bigger '17t' front sprocket, new wheel bearings, thermo-bob 2, a new free flowing exhaust, different pilot jets, etc.)

Bike was getting around 48 to 50 mpg when I bought it (according to the guy I bought it from, the original owner got 48 to 50 mpg, the guy I bought it from never ran a tank through himself), but it went up to 50 to 53 constantly after I did the adjustments, cleaned the fuel/carburetor/engine and did some Denso upgrades (Iridium 5730 "Racing" Spark Plug and a Denso Coil on Plug). I'm thinking I should get 53 to just shy of 60 mpg with my new wheel bearings, bigger front sprocket, T-Bob, exhaust, and a proper tune

Anyways, before I get to distracted and write a novel... thanks for posting up that others have had issues with these kinds of mods. I'm used to the simplicity of the single cylinder, single spark designed bikes, and not those exotic Euro designs

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 02-17-2016, 04:16 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Please explain.
http://www.motorfans.com.cn/bbs/view...=108220&page=7 #139

Old 02-20-2016, 05:02 PM   #95

OK I've run through the gamut of gearing and my general impressions are:

Stock 15T/50T-really low gearing, not practical for any type of touring, off road only, difficult to maintain speed over 50mph

17T/50T-I think this would make a great combo for off road touring, 55mph is easily achievable and cruising at 50 is no problem.

17R/45T-This combo is the best for highway cruising. Bike will top out at 65mph on the flat and sits right in the sweet spot for comfort and power at 55mph. It will easlily cruise at 60 but the engine seems a tad bit strained. Hills require a downshift but that's OK since 55 isn't a problem in 4th. The only downside is first requires a little throttle and clutch feathering to get going. This so far is the best touring setup

15T/45T-stay tuned, haven't tested yet

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 02-20-2016, 07:31 PM   #96

15/45 answers another question I didn't even ask, but now have an answer to!

17/45 sounds like it will be the best commuting gearing for me.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Last edited by culcune; 02-21-2016 at 12:12 AM.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:56 PM   #97

Great data points. I can 2nd your 15/50 and 17/50 results.

Are you planning on changing out the knobbys since you're aiming for more of a touring setup?

Old 02-20-2016, 09:24 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
Great data points. I can 2nd your 15/50 and 17/50 results.

Are you planning on changing out the knobbys since you're aiming for more of a touring setup?
I'll burn through the stock knobs before I replace. I actually kind of like them, they squirm a bit, but nothing to bad. I'm a big fan of the Shinko 244, they hook up really well in the dirt and good on the tarmac as well. I prefer 50/50 dual sport tires over 80/20 tires simply for the added confidence off road. That's despite the fact I ride mostly 80/20.

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 02-21-2016, 08:58 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
I will have to read up on that, do you know if they come from the factory with them? If not, and people upgrade to C.O.P.s it might be how it was originally designed to sparks 2 or more plugs? If they do come with Coil on Plugs they might just be a weak source on the bike ?

The BMW boxers come from the factory with Coil on Plugs.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:44 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrax View Post
OK I've run through the gamut of gearing and my general impressions are:

Stock 15T/50T-really low gearing, not practical for any type of touring, off road only, difficult to maintain speed over 50mph

17T/50T-I think this would make a great combo for off road touring, 55mph is easily achievable and cruising at 50 is no problem.

17R/45T-This combo is the best for highway cruising. Bike will top out at 65mph on the flat and sits right in the sweet spot for comfort and power at 55mph. It will easlily cruise at 60 but the engine seems a tad bit strained. Hills require a downshift but that's OK since 55 isn't a problem in 4th. The only downside is first requires a little throttle and clutch feathering to get going. This so far is the best touring setup

15T/45T-stay tuned, haven't tested yet
is that by speedometer or by gps?

I plan to commute on mine a certain amount but most of the roads (even the two lane zero shoulder roads) are 55mph with people going 60-65. would be safest if I was traveling 65

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250

Old 02-22-2016, 11:14 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
is that by speedometer or by gps?

I plan to commute on mine a certain amount but most of the roads (even the two lane zero shoulder roads) are 55mph with people going 60-65. would be safest if I was traveling 65
Thats off the GPS. My speedo has a tendency to wander a bit from reality. Though it's capable of doing 65 I think 60 is better with 55 being about ideal with the 17/45.
I'm still running the stock carb. I have a Mikuni with 115 main/30 pilot jets sitting in a box waiting to put on. The general consensus is richening the intake up improves drivability, so maybe 65 will be a possibility. Will probably throw the new carb on next weekend.

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 02-26-2016, 02:35 PM   #102

Hey Wolftrax where would be the best place to buy the 17T/45T sprockets for the Hawk?

2015 Haosen Hawk
1989 Kawasaki EX500
1991 Suzuki DR350

Old 02-27-2016, 02:18 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post

I saw the bottle, and the small hole poked in the bottom for air flow. I also saw what looked to be a nearly perfect spark plug. What I don't understand is what the bottle is for. Is it slowing the rate of fuel into the carb bowl? How would that affect the jet size?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-27-2016, 03:07 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulesmann View Post
Hey Wolftrax where would be the best place to buy the 17T/45T sprockets for the Hawk?
I found a rear one here:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-rear-sprocket

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-27-2016, 05:23 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulesmann View Post
Ebay, sorry I don't remember exactly what vendor

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid