Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2012, 02:18 AM   #91

The Canadian border guards are really cool about bringing stuff across, and not even charging me duty. The US border guards are always making sure that I'm not leaving anything in the States, and I'm not going there to work. The key is to be 100% honest every time.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-23-2012, 02:34 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
The Canadian border guards are really cool about bringing stuff across, and not even charging me duty. The US border guards are always making sure that I'm not leaving anything in the States, and I'm not going there to work. The key is to be 100% honest every time.
Not many people know this, but Idaho shares a small border with British Columbia. I don't want to spend the money for a U.S. passport, and Idaho hasn't implemented an enhanced driver's license (EDL). :roll: Therefore, I am thinking about spending the $55 to get a U.S. Passport card. What documents must you present to cross the border, Weld?

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #93

Just my passport; no other documentation is required.

The Idaho border crossings are just South of Creston, BC. That's beautiful country, but don't cross in the dead of winter. The Salmo-Creston pass is frequently closed for avalanche control. The option, if travelling to Vancouver, is to head straight North and use the #1, which is the Trans Canada highway.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #94

Many years ago, while I was living in Pennsylvania, I made quite a few trips to Ontario. I would ride 4 hours north to Buffalo, New York, and cross the Rainbow Bridge into Niagara Falls, Ontario. Needless to say, back in those days, the border crossing was a very simple process. Does one need a passport card to enter Banff National Park? I imagine one does. :roll:

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #95

I remember how easy/low stress the crossing used to be. I've not been to Canada for years, a situation I would like to remedy this summer. I want to take the Gold Wing to Banff.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
I remember how easy/low stress the crossing used to be. I've not been to Canada for years, a situation I would like to remedy this summer. I want to take the Gold Wing to Banff.
Fortunately, you can get an Enhanced Driver's License (EDL) in Washington State. Idaho hasn't implemented the EDLs. :roll:

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #97

I think it was 1994 the one and only time I crossed into Ontario. Never had a passport. Will have to get one as I plan to go the Netherlands with my Dad soon.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #98

I forget in which thread you asked for this information, Weld. :roll: However, I measured the speedometer end of my Zong's speedometer cable this afternoon. The cable diameter is approximately 8mm. The male thread on the speedometer itself is approximately 12mm in diameter. The square cable extends from the speedometer cable for approximately 23 mm.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Banff is beautiful though very touristy . I'm going to run the Icefield Parkway this summer on my bike, very much looking forward to it!

Old 03-24-2012, 01:43 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
I forget in which thread you asked for this information, Weld. :roll: However, I measured the speedometer end of my Zong's speedometer cable this afternoon. The cable diameter is approximately 8mm. The male thread on the speedometer itself is approximately 12mm in diameter. The square cable extends from the speedometer cable for approximately 23 mm.

Spud
Excellent information! If the TW meets my expectations, I'll buy the speedometer I found on eBay.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:46 AM   #101

Quote:
Many years ago, while I was living in Pennsylvania, I made quite a few trips to Ontario. I would ride 4 hours north to Buffalo, New York, and cross the Rainbow Bridge into Niagara Falls, Ontario. Needless to say, back in those days, the border crossing was a very simple process. Does one need a passport card to enter Banff National Park? I imagine one does. :roll:

Spud
Banff is not near a border crossing, and you don't require any documentation to travel anywhere, once you're in Canada. Since Banff is a national park, there is a fee to use it, but not to drive through it. It is a stunning place.

Niagara Falls is another one of my favourite places.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:56 AM   #102

I got the new TW tank today! Thanks Spud.

I learned the hard way that the border guards don't want to hear that you're bringing a gift across the border; it must have a declared value. In the future, if we China Riders send things to each other, we should include a note with a value that we can agree on. That value determines the amount of duty that will be paid. The nice officer I dealt with let me go without paying anything.

The Zong tank is exactly the same length, and it's nicer looking than the TW tank. The mounting hole is too small, so I'm deciding if I want to drill it out or modify the mount. The Zong tank lacks the mounting holes for the side panels, so I'm going to need to sort that out as well. In any case, it's a really nice tank.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:14 AM   #103

Quote:
I got the new TW tank today! Thanks Spud.

I learned the hard way that the border guards don't want to hear that you're bringing a gift across the border; it must have a declared value. In the future, if we China Riders send things to each other, we should include a note with a value that we can agree on. That value determines the amount of duty that will be paid. The nice officer I dealt with let me go without paying anything.

The Zong tank is exactly the same length, and it's nicer looking than the TW tank. The mounting hole is too small, so I'm deciding if I want to drill it out or modify the mount. The Zong tank lacks the mounting holes for the side panels, so I'm going to need to sort that out as well. In any case, it's a really nice tank.
You're welcome! I'm glad the Zongshen fuel tank is the correct length, Brother Weld. I hope you are successful getting a key copied for the locking lid on the fuel tank.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-24-2012, 02:17 AM   #104

Quote:
Quote:

Spud
Banff is not near a border crossing, and you don't require any documentation to travel anywhere, once you're in Canada. Since Banff is a national park, there is a fee to use it, but not to drive through it. It is a stunning place.

Niagara Falls is another one of my favourite places.
Ah hah! So we Yankee Devils can sneak across the border at Banff National Park, without a passport, and travel freely inside Canada! :twisted:

Spud :P

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-24-2012, 02:57 AM   #105

I ordered a resistor kit on eBay today, and it will make my flasher work with my LED signals. I'll hopefull be riding my bike before then, so I'll mount two incandescent lights temporarily.

I also bought some narrow tab terminals at SMI Industrial Electronics in Langley, BC. They're for the very unusual connector on the Acerbis headlight. While there, I picked up a couple of batteries for my cheap digital speedometer. Now, if I could only find the calibration instructions...