Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2017, 07:55 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsride View Post
ARH, no offense intended but, when you post things like this the movie "worlds fastest Indian" comes to mind. Where he was in his shed casting his own pistons out of scrap, filling cracks in his tires with shoe polish, and dropping nitro pills in the gas tank for some extra KICK. Guys like you are a fading breed and I appreciate you bestowing your knowledge upon us. Cutting grooves in the brake shoes is genius. A cool trick that I may try. Brake shoes for these things are cheap so If I mess some up I'm not out much. Did you go all the way to the metal backing of the shoe?
Burt Munro was a lot more scientific than most people realize. Yes, he cast his pistons from scrap auto pistons. But not just any pistons. A certain percentage of Ford to Chevy pistons went in that brew. Ford pistons had a higher percentage of silicate, which made them more resistant to detonation. Chevvy pistons were more malleable, easier to machine. And more "flexible" (Less brittle) ARH

Last edited by Ariel Red Hunter; 02-07-2017 at 07:57 AM. Reason: addition

Old 02-07-2017, 11:10 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
I cut the grooves about half the thickness of the lining. I've used a small rat-tailed file to cut grooves too. One every inch. If you do this, make sure you cut the groove to screw the water OUT, not into the back of the drum. Do I have to tell you how I found that out? I also ground away a little notch in the backing plate, on the bottom edge to get the water out faster. You will still have to drag the brake to dry it off, but for a lot less distance. It doesn't clear as fast as a disc brake, but almost. ARH
Thanks so much for the info, but I'm afraid I'm scratching my head on the cuts to screw the water out. Looking at the face of the shoe, should it be diagonal cuts? I may be over thinking this? And notching the backing plate is a great idea. Another mod to ad to the list. LOVE IT. And I'm one that actually likes a drum brake. I've had them on a many a bike, narry a problem for me or my riding. As far as Burt. I never knew about him (I guess because of my age) until the movie came out, then I soaked up everything I could read about him. Then I realized that I was RIGHT THERE in Christchurch fixing a broke jet and I could have went and seen the bike. But then, I didn't know anything about he Munro Special. So see Hollywood IS good for SOME things.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:28 AM   #93

Quote:
Thanks so much for the info, but I'm afraid I'm scratching my head on the cuts to screw the water out. Looking at the face of the shoe, should it be diagonal cuts? I may be over thinking this? And notching the backing plate is a great idea. Another mod to ad to the list. LOVE IT. And I'm one that actually likes a drum brake. I've had them on a many a bike, narry a problem for me or my riding. As far as Burt. I never knew about him (I guess because of my age) until the movie came out, then I soaked up everything I could read about him. Then I realized that I was RIGHT THERE in Christchurch fixing a broke jet and I could have went and seen the bike. But then, I didn't know anything about he Munro Special. So see Hollywood IS good for SOME things.
If you want to screw the water out, you have to have diagonal cuts, don't you? If you think of the brake shoes being stationary and the drum rotating you've got it. Just hold your right hand palm down. That is the brake shoe. Now slide your left hand over your right the SAME WAY THE WHEEL TURNS, and you've got it! Seated on the bike, upper left to lower right of the shoe.

Burt Munro was a prime example of indomitable will overcoming problems in life. If you remember the two guys at Bonneville who helped him, one of them was Rollie Fingers. Rollie Fingers is the guy in that famous photograph of him running a Vincent Black Shadow at 150 miles an hour in 1950 wearing only a pair of swim trunks, laying prone on the bike, flat, with his legs straight out behind him. Talk about Balls!

Last edited by Ariel Red Hunter; 02-08-2017 at 08:33 AM. Reason: addition

Old 02-08-2017, 09:48 AM   #94

Assist to arh

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 02-08-2017, 01:48 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Hey BlackBike, thanx for posting that famous photograph! I had forgotten he wore slippers as well as swim trunks. OK, everyone, now you know why Rollie Fingers was famous.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:10 PM   #96

Error alert! Error alert!!

My apologies to all! First I got that riders name wrong. The rider of that Black Shadow in his swim trunks. It was Rollie (Roland) Free. Rollie Fingers was a baseball pitcher for the Athletics. And Rollie Free's record was 160.78 MPH! Not 150 MPH. My apologies to Rollie Free's decendents. We need to remember people who do things like this. People who adapt and overcome. Sincerely, ARH

Old 02-08-2017, 04:41 PM   #97

the older you are the more mistakes that are allowed!
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 02-08-2017, 06:51 PM   #98

Quote:
It's not just the Munro Special. It is THE WORLDS FASTEST INDIAN. Yes, I had an Indian. A 1938 (the year I was born) 80 inch Chief, brought up to Bonneville specs. Would it stroll? Oh my, yes!

Old 02-08-2017, 06:59 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcosby View Post
the older you are the more mistakes that are allowed!
Nathaniel G Herreschoff said "If you make no mistakes, you are not making enough progress. If you make too many mistakes - you are out of a job." At IH when I worked there, the chief engineer gave me a few "Atta boys" over something I came up with, then he added "Remember this: One 'Aw-Shit" wipes out dozens of "Atta boys".

Old 02-08-2017, 11:59 PM   #100

Quote:
It's not just the Munro Special. It is THE WORLDS FASTEST INDIAN. Yes, I had an Indian. A 1938 (the year I was born) 80 inch Chief, brought up to Bonneville specs. Would it stroll? Oh my, yes!
If yer ever over here ...
you can see the real bike it's on
display down in Otago...

Another guy yer should read about is Kim Newcombe...
built his own bike powered with a outboard motor engine
was leading the 500GP road race world title but had a crash &
died before the final round..

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 02-09-2017, 08:29 AM   #101

I say we starts a go fund me page to send ARH to NZ. 😀

Old 02-09-2017, 12:05 PM   #102

More off topic stuff.

Arh...I would say that hot salt surface called for slipper protection (good lord !)

Yes the aw shit will wipe out those atta-boys .especially now where the atta-boys are few and far between (self centered narcissistic selfie culture)

I gave a young lady (dispatcher) on the phone an atta boy ( jokingly of course) and she flat out told me "I'm a girl" . Oooooo,keyyyy.....?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 02-09-2017, 04:08 PM   #103

Quote:
Arh...I would say that hot salt surface called for slipper protection (good lord !)

Yes the aw shit will wipe out those atta-boys .especially now where the atta-boys are few and far between (self centered narcissistic selfie culture)

I gave a young lady (dispatcher) on the phone an atta boy ( jokingly of course) and she flat out told me "I'm a girl" . Oooooo,keyyyy.....?
Do you guys think he could have got a 3 or 4 more mph if he had shaved his back and legs?

Old 02-09-2017, 05:25 PM   #104

Quote:
Do you guys think he could have got a 3 or 4 more mph if he had shaved his back and legs?
Your the sage tinker-er , I wouldn't put it past you racers to give it a go

Old 02-09-2017, 06:51 PM   #105

Quote:
Your the sage tinker-er , I wouldn't put it past you racers to give it a go
Yeah, but I was only 12 years old when he made this run. Nobody would have listened to a 12 year old in those days. But I remember thinking it when I first saw that picture (Speed Graphic pic by Bob DeOlivio) in Cycle magazine in 1950. Yeah, it cost me a whole weeks pay pushing a lawnmower in our 2 acre back yard to buy that mag. Then I had to hide it, because my father hated motorcycles. We were a two Packard family at that time, and my dad was an immigrint from the Netherlands, and became well off by being clever plus working his butt off. He started from nothing. His first job was shucking clams in Hoboken, NJ. He took that job because everyone on the shucking crew, and on the clam boat spoke Dutch. But he worked very hard to learn English, and after two years he was fluent.