Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Video and Pics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2010, 08:25 PM   #91

Here is today's adventure….

Coventry an area of Cleveland Heights.

Then Lakeview Cemetery.

Garfield's Tomb

Dam

Here is a map….University Circle is on one side of the cemetery and Coventry on the other. You can see the Dam were it is in the Cemetery and also the Garfield Tomb.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...39911&t=h&z=15

Old 09-21-2010, 08:59 PM   #92

Euclid and Mayfield, University Circle

Mayfield and Lee, area in Cleveland Heights.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #93

Well the weather forecast was pretty spot on for today, it is cloudy and in the 60’s, not bad for riding if not for the twenty mile per hour wind gusts. I road up to the Square today and figured I would take some photos and share them.

This is the other end of Coventry Rd, were it intersects Shaker Blvd were there is a Rapid Station, that is what RTA calls the trains, Rapids.

These are the building between Coventry and the Square.

Shaker Blvd East leads to Shaker Square, the Rapids run center-line on Shaker Blvd and Van Aken Blvd, they converge at the Square.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #94

Well at about 5:30 the sun came out…so I got back on the bike. Most of the last postings were pictures from the Heights. So I went down the hill to get some shots of University Circle, but only some of it because it would take forever to cover all of it.

In this is some new construction and also some recent construction. Its a world renowned medical center. Two major players in that are University Hospital and the Cleveland Clinic Foundation. They are both networks and have facilities all over the region.

University Hospital is on the campus of Case Western Reserve University. Here are some shots of it and the campus.

The Clinic has its own campus and its huge with three hotels. Through it all is Euclid Ave and the BRT which connects the area with downtown.

I hope its nice weather tomorrow, I really want to go for another ride…

Here is a housing development just west of the Clinic on Euclid.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:52 PM   #95

wow that is a very pretty town, have not seen any town that nice before.

btw love the color of the xp, if i got one it would be that color, but i think i would black out the white to and get some bronze rims for it.. but yours looks very good.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #96

The XP is available in black or white also. I have a black one, but the white looks really good in person.

You know they are based out of Texas....

Old 09-27-2010, 10:45 PM   #97

Yeah the white bikes are also nice....

Austin is very nice, much nicer then Cleveland ....do you spend time on the river?

I think about removing all the decals, also getting a solid black seat with no seams and adding the carrier to the back. But it looks good stock as it is, I want to head over to HMF and ask for a price on a performance exhaust...I really want one that looks near identical just without the restricted flow.

I will bring in the dimension and photos they already make one for the Honda Ruckus that looks very similar. I want it to look the same and have the same mounting points.

The current muffler is very quite which is good as the engine is wearing in, I can hear the valves and get a benchmark for the interval for adjusting them. Once I switch out the can, it will likely drown out the engine sounds?

I am not rushing to modify the bike....I have that luxury to look forward to and the results of that.

I still would like to hear somebody tell me just how the rpm change with a 16 tooth sprocket. Specifically that is....the bike hits 50mph at 5500rpm with a 15" what would it be then with a 16"?

I think that when the valves are ready to be adjusted again then that will include a new performance muffler and a 125 main and 35 slow jet and a 16" sprocket and maybe a chain tension-er? I am hoping that would be at 5000km and not sooner. That interval is related to the quality of metal isn't it? If it becomes too tappy happy to soon, I may not bother.

I am also wondering if the slight wapping sound I am hearing is from the secondary exhaust burning device that is on the bike. It is reed valve that redirects exhaust off the engine back to induction. It is vacuum controlled off the carb. I am not that keen on hot exhaust going back to the engine, it is to burn up hydrocarbons as in a secondary burn. But its heated and the device makes noise, wap wap wap and it also ugly on the side of the engine.

I listen to the valves, not obsessively, I like to hear them but not too loud, other noises distract me. Particularly if I know they are sending hot gases into the engine that wants cool clean air not hot dirty exhaust gas. That gas can go in the window of the car behind me that is to close? LOL

I am bad for the environment...I want to remove the devices... I feel conflicted.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:24 AM   #98

I'd like to $hitcan the emissions crap but don't want to mess with a bike that runs perfectly.

As far as the gearing goes I regeared my XF as it was street only, and have thought long and hard about the XP but have decided NOT to because the gearing is spot on for the off road use I use the bike for. A 6th gear would be heaven, though.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:36 AM   #99

it sounds like you have an EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve. Exhaust gas can't be burned again; it's introduced into the intake so that the air / fuel mixture can be diluted and use less fuel. The by-product of that desing is that a more aggressive timing curve is required, much like running high octane fuel in a low compression engine. As RPM increases, vacuum drops and the valve won't open. It's only designed to work at part throttle, where vacuum is the highest. It works great in theory.

However...

Oil loss past the rings is a natural part of internal combustion. That oil ends up in the exhaust and causes the EGR to become clogged. It will likely become stuck open at some point in the future, and the bike will run like poo at WOT.

If you delete it, you might find that you need to run premium fuel to thwart detonation, but that's a minor cost. Just make sure that you don't stay on the throttle if you detect the slightest hint of detonation. For the unfamiliar, detonation is that awful sound of rocks in a coffee can when you crack the throttle in a gear that's too high for the speed you're travelling.

I can try to solve your gear ratio vs. RPM question if you tell us the rear sprocket tooth count as well as the front.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-28-2010, 11:24 AM   #100

That's what it looks like to me too.

I'd like to delete it, and upgrade the exhaust and rejet, but like I say it's hard to monkey with a bike that runs perfectly.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:53 AM   #101

I think there is some confusion on what is burning and what is igniting, exhaust gas is not flammable but it can be burned. Passing exhaust off the engine back into to engine will expose it to combustion again and the results would be less compounds that are regulated in exhaust gas. Those gases cannot be ignited but they can be burned up.

The fuel set leaner to match the diluted air in the air to fuel mixture, that makes sense. Adding that exhaust to the mix would not increase combustion for sure, the opposite actually.

If that device fails the have to replace it for five years.

428 chain and sprockets 15 / 48 tooth maybe I have to check it may be 45?
I want it about 2.85 so 16/45 will do that, I just have to see what my rear sprocket is. Either way 45/48 adding a tooth to the front will improve it for street riding.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:14 PM   #102

I’ve been looking into the EGR exhaust gas re-circulator. It actually lowers combustion temp by sending non-flammable exhaust gas back into the combustion chamber. It adds about 6-10% of the air component in the Air/fuel mix, it dilutes it. That keeps the combustion temperature down and in turn reduces the production of Nitrous Oxide formation that occurs over 2500 degrees.

Its actually integral and removing it would require some consideration. I thought its presence would heat the engine…now that I think about it that’s silly exhaust gas is under the combustion temp and in this case it is actually lowers the combustion temperature.

Then there is the CDI and its timing being set with consideration to the EGR being present. Removing the egr device will up the combustion temperatures and that would require consideration to the fuel enrichment and maybe the timing?

Old 09-29-2010, 06:37 PM   #103

My bike has 15/48, so I need a 45 rear or a 16 inch front to get from 3.20 to 3.00, if I change both then 16/45 will get 2.81.

I think a 16" front and a performance exhaust, main jet from 122.5 up to 125 and slow jet from 32 to 35.

I will not take off the EGR, now that I know how it works. Thank Weldngrind for giving the device an actual name.

I do not think I will get into any trouble doing this….is there potential problems for me doing a performance exhaust and increasing the jets?

Old 09-30-2010, 07:56 PM   #104

I took some pictures of the EGR so people can see what it is.

I think mine is noisy, I can tell when its open and when it trying to close, it makes a wapping sound.

That little device gave me a headache, that being trying to figure out what it is and what it is supposed to be doing. I am nearly positive it is not an EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) simply because its components (parts) could not handle the exhaust temperatures. I also checked it while ridding today and it does not heat up it would if it was sending exhaust back into the air box.

It could be what is called a PAIR and actually does send air into the engine directly. It’s an emissions device that’s for sure. However it is not likely to be an EGR.

Notice how none committed I am now….google it if you want to know what it does.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:09 PM   #105

It was a really good day today low seventies and sunny.

I took the bike to the Harbor here are some photos…

Then I went over to Euclid and took some pictures the CSU campus. They are building it up adding housing, they are looking to attract students.