Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2016, 10:29 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
The sound is coming from inside the engine behind the front sprocket. I have the rear wheel up off the ground and I spin it by hand. I spin the tire forward and clanks (two at a time). Spin in reverse no clanking. The front sprocket bolts are tight. I dont feel the clanking when I ride the bike. The chain is new as is the sprocket and there both fine and the chain is not jumping.. Thanks for trying to help. I think this bike was made with all defective parts.
What I would do next is warm the engine right up, and then carefully drain out the oil. Then run the hot oil through a coffee filter, and see how much metallic slivers and what ever else metallic is in there. If there is quite a bit of metal shavings in the oil, pull the clutch cover off and see if it is the clutch or starter making the noise. Starter has an over-running clutch, it could be that.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
What I would do next is warm the engine right up, and then carefully drain out the oil. Then run the hot oil through a coffee filter, and see how much metallic slivers and what ever else metallic is in there. If there is quite a bit of metal shavings in the oil, pull the clutch cover off and see if it is the clutch or starter making the noise.
Ive changed the oil three times. Once before I started the bike for the first time. There where no slivers at all. The screen was clean. The next time was at 25 miles and the oil had very little of the sparkles in it and a clean screen. The last time was at 125 miles and the oil and screen were clean. The clanking had been here the whole time. Thought it was the cheep chain. The engine seems to run great other then this clacking? I can almost feel but can clearly hear the clanking directly behind the front sprocket. Thanks for the reply.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:11 PM   #108

Anyone else hear this clank in there engines?

Old 10-02-2016, 12:31 PM   #109

Quote:
Ive changed the oil three times. Once before I started the bike for the first time. There where no slivers at all. The screen was clean. The next time was at 25 miles and the oil had very little of the sparkles in it and a clean screen. The last time was at 125 miles and the oil and screen were clean. The clanking had been here the whole time. Thought it was the cheep chain. The engine seems to run great other then this clacking? I can almost feel but can clearly hear the clanking directly behind the front sprocket. Thanks for the reply.
Well, it's a relief to learn that there are virtually no metal filings in the oil. So what's left? Clutch, starter, alternater rotor, drive gears between the crankshaft and the clutch. If it was an engine problem, I would expect metal in the oil.

Old 10-02-2016, 01:37 PM   #110

Quote:
Well, it's a relief to learn that there are virtually no metal filings in the oil. So what's left? Clutch, starter, alternater rotor, drive gears between the crankshaft and the clutch. If it was an engine problem, I would expect metal in the oil.
The good thing about this mess is the bike runs really well clanks and all. Iam trying to go slow remembering my washer repaired wheel and only having 222 miles on it but it seems like it could push 70 MPH. Iam looking for a exploded engine view so I could get an idea what is in the engine right behind the sprocket. I am trying to find out if this is normal or is my engine about explode? The fun never ends LOL!

Old 10-02-2016, 01:55 PM   #111

Quote:
The good thing about this mess is the bike runs really well thumps and all. Iam trying to go slow remembering my washer repaired wheel and only having 222 miles on it but it seems like it could push 70 MPH. Iam looking for a exploded engine view so I could get an idea what is in the engine right behind the sprocket. I am trying to find out if this is normal or is my engine about explode? The fun never ends LOL!
Behind the countershaft sprocket is the clutch. Or at least that's how it used to be. Never the less, the transmission is behind the clutch. Going into the transmission is a major job, so I would check the clutch, the starter drive, and the alternator rotor, which is all located behind the left sidecover, before I got too exited. Is this the overhead cam engine?

Old 10-02-2016, 02:09 PM   #112

Quote:
Behind the countershaft sprocket is the clutch. Or at least that's how it used to be. Never the less, the transmission is behind the clutch. Going into the transmission is a major job, so I would check the clutch, the starter drive, and the alternator rotor, which is all located behind the left sidecover, before I got too exited. Is this the overhead cam engine?
The sprocket Iam talking about is the front one the drive chain for the rear wheel goes around. The chain is straight and there is no binding or chain jumping. The sprocket and sprocket bolts are tight. The sprocket moves smoothly through its circle with no sign's of jerky movement. This is a push rod OHV engine. Thanks for taking the time to offer advice.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:19 PM   #113

Quote:
The sprocket Iam talking about is the front one the drive chain for the rear wheel goes around. The chain is straight and there is no binding or chain jumping. The sprocket and sprocket bolts are tight. The sprocket moves smoothly through its circle with no sign's of jerky movement. This is a push rod OHV engine. Thanks for taking the time to offer advice.
The front one is the countershaft sprocket. You checked everything outside the clutch cover, so the problem is inside the clutch cover. Under the clutch cover is the clutch, the starter gear train, the alternator rotor, and the gears that transmit the power from the engine crankshaft to the clutch. I'm hoping the clunking is coming from one of these, because if it's not, it's a big job to split the cases to find the problem.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:10 PM   #114

Quote:
The front one is the countershaft sprocket. You checked everything outside the clutch cover, so the problem is inside the clutch cover. Under the clutch cover is the clutch, the starter gear train, the alternator rotor, and the gears that transmit the power from the engine crankshaft to the clutch. I'm hoping the clunking is coming from one of these, because if it's not, it's a big job to split the cases to find the problem.
Got it. Thats the next step. Thanks again.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:16 PM   #115

Ill have to find a gasket kit for my engine. I think I can find it on Taobao.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:18 PM   #116

Quote:
Got it. Thats the next step. Thanks again.
You're welcome. You've had much more than your share of bad luck with this motorcycle.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:24 PM   #117

as a heads up, the clutch is under the cover on the right side on these bikes. stator coil is under left side and you would have to split the cases to get to the trans itself. does it clank when its running?

Old 10-02-2016, 08:17 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
as a heads up, the clutch is under the cover on the right side on these bikes. stator coil is under left side and you would have to split the cases to get to the trans itself. does it clank when its running?
Ill check and post back. Thanks for asking.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:49 PM   #119

Quote:
Ill check and post back. Thanks for asking.
The clutch actuating LEVER is on the right side of the engine. I'm not talking about the handlebar lever here, this is the lever that the clutch cable pulls on to dis-engage the clutch. Traditionally, the right side of the engine is called the timing side, and the left side is called the drive side. The drive comes from the crankshaft on the drive, or left side. Then comes either a chain drive from the engine to the clutch, or a train of gears. The Hawk uses gears. so, while it is not impossible to drive the clutch if it was on the right, or timing side, I've never heard of it being done this way. I would like to see a photograph of a right hand mounted clutch on a Hawk. Then I will cheerfully admit I'm wrong ~ But I don't think so!

Old 10-02-2016, 10:14 PM   #120

I don't have a pic,but the wet clutch is inside the right engine cover, and the flywheel with stator is under the left cover on the chain side.The over run clutch for the starter drive is on the chain side,just above and forward of the output shaft.