Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2021, 09:05 AM   #106

One of the downsides of moving to a rural area is the lack of availability of vaccine appointments. Every pharmacy claims to have both single and 2 dose varieties available but no appoints at all for March.

I'm old enough to remember how getting the polio and small pox vaccines was done and it was a hell of a lot more efficient than this. It was also a 'blow off school day'.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 03-07-2021, 09:38 AM   #107

I still don’t personally know a single person who has had the beer disease ,and we are way behind on getting shots up here ,I think they are currently doing 80yrs and up and have only done the long term care homes .I don’t know how much of a change getting the shot will do for us ,I suspect we will be in a state of perpetual Halloween for a long time to come .

Old 03-07-2021, 11:54 AM   #108

Still waiting.....and everyone around me is getting shots. My nephew just got his shots. I guess being a paper-pushing state worker makes him essential. Really getting tired of this.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 03-07-2021, 01:38 PM   #109

One of the step daughter's husband got it. The step daughter never did. I babysit their one year old every Wednesday. Another grandson has been doing the remote schooling twice a week at my home and was over when we found out about the husband. Since I might have been exposed through the one year old, the other grandson and I quarantined for two weeks at my house. Neither of us got it. It wasn't bad having him over for that time. He's eleven and we bonded over Wandavision and other Disney+ features.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 03-07-2021, 03:06 PM   #110

Wife’s Uncle and aunt got it. Easy for him, tough for her. My older, 86 year old uncle got it and died. 5 peeps at church got it. I think they all survived. I haven’t been going for a year due to them not really doing well with the rules... I finally got both shots, as school teachers in Oregon were able to get them. We have had in class school since Jan 4. No outbreaks in our school but our high school has had a few. What I find amazing is, because of me and the students wearing masks and all the cleaning we've avoided the normal winter flu stuff too! It’s been a positive through all this.
1975 Corvette
2017 Chevy Bolt

“Throttle twisting geek” -LFN

Old 03-07-2021, 04:40 PM   #111

I've had it twice, the wife has had it once. Over half of our extended family has had it but so far only my brother-in-law has died from it.

Vaccines are slowly becoming available here. My youngest daughter is the only family member to get it so far as she is an RN that has direct contact with Covid patients.

Last edited by montanaoffroader; 03-08-2021 at 02:39 PM.

Old 03-10-2021, 03:53 PM   #112

Finally scheduled for my first shot tomorrow morning!

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 03-11-2021, 12:33 AM   #113

I was never diagnosed, but I did get my shot today. I don't know anyone that had it so far so I guess my circle of friends and acquaintances have been lucky. I'm "lucky" enough to be in the earlier qualifiers due to my cancer. Good news is even though I was stage 4 kidney cancer for the past 2 years, I'm still doing pretty good. Didn't get to ride my china bike last year due to my condition, but I'm doing pretty good currently and plan on getting out there plenty this year! F Cancer!!!

Old 03-11-2021, 06:22 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGriz View Post
I was never diagnosed, but I did get my shot today. I don't know anyone that had it so far so I guess my circle of friends and acquaintances have been lucky. I'm "lucky" enough to be in the earlier qualifiers due to my cancer. Good news is even though I was stage 4 kidney cancer for the past 2 years, I'm still doing pretty good. Didn't get to ride my china bike last year due to my condition, but I'm doing pretty good currently and plan on getting out there plenty this year! F Cancer!!!
Good for you Griz! BTW, as I said previously, best avatar ever....

Many of my friends I see nightly have cancer of one stage/form or another. Myself and one other have "so far", beat it. Just over five year for me and the numbers are still awesome. The stage four folks are doing what they're supposed to with treatments and lifestyle, and they're markers have come way down, so they're starting to live more normally again......which includes having an occasional beer with their friends in front of a hot wood stove at our local store. Sometimes it's the simple things. Keep up the good fight, Griz!

BTW......Got my Covid shot this morning. I was lucky enough to get the "one and done" J&J vaccine.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 03-11-2021, 10:29 PM   #115

I caught it the day after Christmas without traveling to L.A. to see family. Coincidentally, my younger sister in L.A. got it from an elderly neighbor who my sister usually helps out with driving. My sister had an outpatient surgery and the neighbor wanted to return all the favors (the neighbor recovered, no problem). Well, my sister got a ride AND COVID! Then, Christmas day, unknowingly, infected my 82 year old parents, one of our sisters (there are 4 of us), and my other sister's (the only one of us who didn't catch it) son, my nephew. We all got over it within 2 weeks or sooner. I was mad because I was so hoping to have made it for the first dose of Moderna they offered staff at the prison, which ended up being January 29. Man, that shot knocked me down like I had COVID for the day the next day, a Saturday. I got my second dose a couple weeks ago, and that had no side effects for me (in spite of everyone mentioning the second dose is worse). BTW, I never did infect anyone around me in my family or my wife's friend who came over for Christmas dinner here in AZ. Having recent COVID and both doses of Moderna, I think I am ready to use some stimulus money to fly to Wuhan, strip down naked and run through a wet market eating boiled bats...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-12-2021, 04:13 AM   #116

I think you actually have to eat them bats raw. Boiled kills the Covid . Also, I feel soooo relieved that I have the shots. Gives a new lease on life, especially since we’ve had kids in school since Jan 4th. Was just waiting for the day one of the little rascals infected me...
1975 Corvette
2017 Chevy Bolt

“Throttle twisting geek” -LFN

Old 03-12-2021, 08:18 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I think I am ready to use some stimulus money to fly to Wuhan, strip down naked and run through a wet market eating boiled bats...
Just make sure you put your clothes back on before you visit the Forbidden City. They are a little sensitive about that place.

Old 03-12-2021, 10:36 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landsvw View Post
I think you actually have to eat them bats raw. Boiled kills the Covid . Also, I feel soooo relieved that I have the shots. Gives a new lease on life, especially since we’ve had kids in school since Jan 4th. Was just waiting for the day one of the little rascals infected me...
Raw?? No thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
Just make sure you put your clothes back on before you visit the Forbidden City. They are a little sensitive about that place.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-13-2021, 07:19 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Person View Post
Are you old enough to remember that smallpox killed people for roughly 500 years before a commercial vaccine was distributed over the course of 20 years?

Old enough to remember that the polio vaccine took over 13 years of development to become publicly available?

Human memory is a funny thing.

Also its not 1977 anymore. Theres almost 9 billion people on earth. Which is the real problem.
I can answer 'Yes' to all those questions.

I was 21 and married in 1977, so I guess that makes me a Boomer.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 03-13-2021, 12:59 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
I was 21 and married in 1977, ....
I graduated high school that year......and barely remember much of it.

BTW, our general consensus from the Brain Trust (my old buddies. Average age is 74) is this.

Pfiser recipients:
First shot - no noticeable symptoms or side effects.
Second shot - no noticeable symptoms or side effects.

Moderna (or as they say "Modelo") recipients:
First shot - no noticeable symptoms or side effects.
Second shot - Slightly tired and sluggish for a day or so.

Johnson and Johnson (I'm the only person I know who has had this in my circles.)
First and only shot:
Felt fine until evening, then started to feel a little ooky.
Next day. Felt like hammered horse s--t. Achy, mentally detached, super burnt.....but was still able to go and do so I wasn't "down". Slept in a coma last night.
Today. Woke up fine.

Again, this was just our experiences. Your results may vary.

2009 Q Link XP 200