Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2012, 11:21 PM   #121

Wonderful work Weld. I respect your craftsmanship, and thrift! 8)

Good work helping, Brother Spud. :wink:

Old 03-25-2012, 11:53 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
I noticed on the pic of the engine that the carb has what looks more like a enricher plunger than a choke lever, does the TW use a CV type carb?
It has what I'd call an enricher plunger, and it doesn't have a conventional choke door. It's a round slide though, without a CV-style diaphragm. It has the dual throttle cable setup that Spud mentioned.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-26-2012, 12:08 AM   #123

I made a little progress today. I started the fabrication process on the tail light / license plate frame, using a scrap piece of stainless I had. Sucksqueezebangblow dropped by and whipped up a temporary dash out of sheet metal, but I haven't drilled it out or painted it yet.

I mounted the stainless frame to two nuts that I presume were originally used for the rear fender, but I don't have one. As far as I can tell, I don't need one.

I'm happy enough with how it works with the bodywork.

I found a small 12 volt 5 amp gel cell battery in the scrap pile, and it was holding a charge. I tried it in the bike, and it's powerful enough to start the engine. That saves me a few bucks for now.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-26-2012, 12:25 AM   #124

The two holes in the frame were designed to support the rear fender. You're correct; you don't need the fender. Your tail light looks great!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-26-2012, 12:49 AM   #125

Thanks! I haven't finished it yet; I still need to weld a piece to the bottom to support the license plate. I think it'll work ok.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #126

It is coming together. Great use of leftover parts.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
It is coming together. Great use of leftover parts.
Thanks! You're a good inspiration for recycling parts. I thought you might appreciate the scrap pile battery.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #128

I was going through batteries the other day trying to find a good one for the lawnmower.

My tractor just received a new hood and will be getting a power upgrade soon. Have a 13hp kohler with electric start on the way. FREE just needs a carb repair. Will be able to charge a battery for lights and the winch.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:31 AM   #129

I have read on several forums that you can rejuvenate the faded plastics with a heat gun. I guess you heat up a spot (making sure you don't melt it!)
and then use a cleaner and buff it. If you do a search on google you may find more info. I know I saw it on ADV.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #130

I already learned how to melt plastic with a heat gun. I was trying to remove some shoddy decals, and I over did it. :(

I might use Krylon Fusion and paint the plastics a different colour, somewhere down the road. Thanks for the tip, though.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #131

Well thats why I warned about it. (Been there done that) On my 78 DT175E I just repainted the plastics, has held up fine for the last year both onroad (daily rider 40 miles round trip) and some off road. Only issues has been the wear on the sidepanels when in mud off road the riding boot rub when I am up on the pegs, (90% of the time offroad) Other than that I have been very happy and the bike looks great.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:46 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloud
Well thats why I warned about it. (Been there done that) On my 78 DT175E I just repainted the plastics, has held up fine for the last year both onroad (daily rider 40 miles round trip) and some off road. Only issues has been the wear on the sidepanels when in mud off road the riding boot rub when I am up on the pegs, (90% of the time offroad) Other than that I have been very happy and the bike looks great.
Please show us pics in the Other Stuff forum.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:33 AM   #133

I tried to take care of some of the details that are low-impact. I've finished soldering the rear LED signals, the brake and tail light, the headlight and the battery extension leads. The bike will start on the 12v 4.5a battery, but it struggles.

I mounted the rear LED signals and I drilled out the mounting holes on the front incandescent signals and mounted them as well. I began the process of drilling the holes in the sheetmetal dash for the ignition switch and the inidcator lights.

The indicator lights are puzzling me. The turn indicator only works in one direction, which is exactly what I expected; since it's a diode, it will only allow current to pass in one direction. I can correct that by adding a second LED, and grounding both of them. That will give me a left and right indicator, which is fine with me.

What puzzles me is that the neutral light flashes when the left signal is on, but not when the engine is in neutral. on top of that, the neutral light comes on when the bike is in any gear, but not in neutral (sort of a reverse neutral light). I tried a diode in every configuration I could think of, and I could not get the neutral light to stop flashing when the left signal is on. Odd. I'll look at it again tomorrow.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:42 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
...What puzzles me is that the neutral light flashes when the left signal is on, but not when the engine is in neutral. on top of that, the neutral light comes on when the bike is in any gear, but not in neutral (sort of a reverse neutral light). I tried a diode in every configuration I could think of, and I could not get the neutral light to stop flashing when the left signal is on. Odd. I'll look at it again tomorrow.
That's weird. :? The neutral sending unit is located down by the countershaft sprocket, under the left crankcase cover. Did you remove the left crankcase cover when you trimmed the hole in it? I'm just wondering if you inspected the countershaft sprocket, and had a chance to examine the neutral sending unit. :?:

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-30-2012, 01:55 AM   #135

I looked at the harness while the cover was off, but that's it. It's completing the circuit based on gear selector position, so that tells me the sender is intact. I wonder if it's just because I'm using an LED.

I'll be pulling the cover back off when my new sprockets arrive, so I'll have another look then. I'll also check with a test light and a meter to see if the same behaviour exists.