http://rideapart.com/articles/kawasa...eight-adv-bike

2010 Sachs Madass 125
2015 CSC Cyclone RX-3
2016 CSC TT 250

Old 11-13-2016, 07:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiggyd View Post
jiggly D,
This seems too good to be true! But I hope it is!

Thanks for sharing.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:31 PM   #3

I absolutely love this bike! At a quick glance it almost looks like a KLR that was put on a quick diet, lol .

I would be very interested in getting one of these, I'm guessing though that it will be priced about the same as the 650 Versys, at least here in Canada.

I've nearly pulled the trigger on the 650 Versys a few times, dunno why, but I just like the looks of the bike.

Anxiously awaiting some road test reports and pricing

Old 11-22-2016, 08:42 PM   #4

and this....."the Honda, and the BMW 310GS all coming soon."

of course, price will determine the interest, but this is the kinda bike I was talking about in the other thread. Looking forward to seeing more!

Old 11-23-2016, 12:23 AM   #5

We all knew something was bound to happen with the rest of the manufacturers. Here's more.

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/20...-versys-x-300/

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/ne...iled-at-eicma/
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Last edited by BlackBike; 11-23-2016 at 01:10 AM.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:25 AM   #6

I've got to stay strong.

Rx4
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 11-23-2016, 09:58 AM   #7

Cool. Just a atter of time until everyone has one. I wonder what the bottom line is going to be and where most of the parts are made?

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 11-23-2016, 02:34 PM   #8

Another "me too"

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...strom-250.html

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...y-preview.html

Agreed. Everyone will have a similar model out shortly. We may have Millennials and Baby Boomers to thank for this (at least for the North American markets)

Millennials tends to be more practical, utilitarian and take less financial risk. And frankly, they have a ton of student loan debt with less opportunity in the job market than most other generations have seen in quite some time so less disposable income. These smaller, practical, do-it-all, types of bikes at lower price points are more appealing to this generation.

Baby Boomers (otherwise known as old farts) are getting to the point where they don't want the size, weight, and expense of the larger liter plus bikes.

I'm sure manufactures have had these smaller ADV style bikes in the R&D cycle for a while now. It's taken the right market conditions and a company like Zongshen to establish the niche for the major OEM's to finally decide the market is profitable enough to produce this style/size of bike.

Rojo

Old 11-23-2016, 03:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojo_grande View Post
Another "me too"

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...strom-250.html

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...y-preview.html

Agreed. Everyone will have a similar model out shortly. We may have Millennials and Baby Boomers to thank for this (at least for the North American markets)

Millennials tends to be more practical, utilitarian and take less financial risk. And frankly, they have a ton of student loan debt with less opportunity in the job market than most other generations have seen in quite some time so less disposable income. These smaller, practical, do-it-all, types of bikes at lower price points are more appealing to this generation.

Baby Boomers (otherwise known as old farts) are getting to the point where they don't want the size, weight, and expense of the larger liter plus bikes.

I'm sure manufactures have had these smaller ADV style bikes in the R&D cycle for a while now. It's taken the right market conditions and a company like Zongshen to establish the niche for the major OEM's to finally decide the market is profitable enough to produce this style/size of bike.

Rojo
All good points, rojo. Let us old farts also not forget that we all started and rode 175's, 350's and smaller bikes most of our lives and many have never made the transition to super-cruiser for street only. Anything remotely "dual purpose" I never felt totally comfortable with over 400cc years ago at the peak of my riding ability. It's nice that the market is swinging back to this market for multiple reasons. The bikes are just so dang useful and manageable! I never could see the use of an 1100cc dirt bike but that's just me.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 11-23-2016, 08:28 PM   #10

1100cc dirt bike but that's just me..... this is a good remark.

Manuf. Tried all they could to market these liter+ bikes but most public say why do i want to risk my $16k bike and wreck it out in the sticks. I would be very paranoid if I had so much scratch it with a mesquite branch if I paid that kind of money.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:18 PM   #11

Odd that bike makers are spending a lot of development money on sub-500cc machines, especially with gas prices so low in the States. I guess the smaller engines still save you a lot of money on insurance.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
Odd that bike makers are spending a lot of development money on sub-500cc machines, especially with gas prices so low in the States. I guess the smaller engines still save you a lot of money on insurance.
Kinda related, pretty good read

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/prem...w/#more-124890

Old 12-13-2016, 09:27 AM   #13

As a Ninja 300 owner I was interested to see they've done this, and put some effort into the design too, by the look of it.

I'm curious how the engine is tuned. Peak torque is around 9k on my bike, and it really gets going around 10.5; that's not necessarily great for a do-it-all bike. I noticed the header config is very different so I'm guessing they're doing everything they can to make it more drivable lower down...which brings me to my other point.

I got a fuel controller on mine because I hated the engine's response below 6k. Typical EFI bike; lean as hell and a flat spot before going very rich at 7k. It's a bit of a pogo stick in stop/go.

It runs really nicely now, but the throttle still has a very abrupt transition from open to closed.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullybiker View Post
As a Ninja 300 owner I was interested to see they've done this, and put some effort into the design too, by the look of it.

I'm curious how the engine is tuned. Peak torque is around 9k on my bike, and it really gets going around 10.5; that's not necessarily great for a do-it-all bike. I noticed the header config is very different so I'm guessing they're doing everything they can to make it more drivable lower down...which brings me to my other point.

I got a fuel controller on mine because I hated the engine's response below 6k. Typical EFI bike; lean as hell and a flat spot before going very rich at 7k. It's a bit of a pogo stick in stop/go.

It runs really nicely now, but the throttle still has a very abrupt transition from open to closed.
I also wonder if they'll do anything to the cam timing?

That's the one and only gripe I have about my RX3. It's basically flat until you hit 5k. I've helped it a bit with a new muffler and dumping the cat, but it's still lacking for a "pseudo-trail bike". It needs some useable mid-range. Other than that, LOVE the bike.

I'll be curious to see how the Kawasaki turns out with trail power.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 12-15-2016, 11:47 PM   #15

Looking at the photos on this page I noticed they've gone for a much longer downpipe with a noticeable bend in it, also 500 rpm has disappeared off the redline, and they're quoting HP at 34, which is less than the Ninja, (35-39 stock, depends whom you ask...)

All of that suggests a pretty hefty re-tune for more torque lower down, I'd be really interested to ride this bike and see how it compares.

Gearing will be interesting. The 300 is geared shorter than the winner's circle at a midget convention.