Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #1

Technology

I'm a bit of a technology buff. I like new and cool products. Sometimes it's hard to know what's coming out unless you're looking for it.

I thought I'd post on here and see what you all see, hear and think about the new products coming out. Could be anything you've seen which you think is a good idea from home products to something for your bike, car or the newest TV's.

I'm also a home theater nerd, so I'm always willing to put my .02c forward for anyone thinking of doing an upgrade or whatever in your home, when you may not be up to speed on the latest and greatest.

To start with, I thought I'd share with you what I think is a pretty cool 'toy' gizmo coming out. The Apple iPad. What a neat little product this seems to be. I've posted some links.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/

Old 03-23-2010, 09:27 PM   #2

I'm too cheap to keep up to date with new gadgets and gizmos :P

My tv is an old 60" Sony rear projection, that I got as part of a deal when I sold a bike one time. Not sure how old it is, probably 90's ish... But it seems to work... Definitely not high def though.

I got a tv tuner card for my computer, but I should have gotten an HD one, the recorded and live tv on the computer is a little fuzzy (I used it to record the Heat game on the weekend), but it does the job.

Apple makes some nice gadgets, I just don't like the premium price tags that get attached to them. (I did say I was cheap, right?)

Old 03-23-2010, 09:51 PM   #3

Well my newest gizmo on the way is a very small video camera that i plan to mount on my rc airplane to get some aerial vids, would probaly work on a helmet too, and like you jim i'm cheap too and Hobbyking is the cheapest stuff i can find around.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...isk_Micro_SD__

And for those of you looking for cheap AA rechargables this is also your ticket

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10456&Product_Name=Turni gy_AA_LSD_2200mah_Low_Self_Discharge_(ready_to_use )

I've bought about 20 of them and they work great, right out of the box they would run my digital camera and i didn't even charge them yet.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:17 PM   #4

Re: Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
To start with, I thought I'd share with you what I think is a pretty cool 'toy' gizmo coming out. The Apple iPad. What a neat little product this seems to be. I've posted some links.

Sorry but I don't get it. It's a big iPod touch (or iPhone) with an even bigger price tag. Like the iPhone you can't install software that isn't approved by Apple.

Would you buy a Drill if you were only allowed to use Black & Decker approved bits?

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 03-24-2010, 04:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
Well my newest gizmo on the way is a very small video camera that i plan to mount on my rc airplane to get some aerial vids, would probaly work on a helmet too, and like you jim i'm cheap too and Hobbyking is the cheapest stuff i can find around.

What a cool little cam for $25 bucks! When you get it, I'm interested to know the quality of the video it kicks out. Do share!

Old 03-24-2010, 04:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite
Quote:

Sorry but I don't get it. It's a big iPod touch (or iPhone) with an even bigger price tag. Like the iPhone you can't install software that isn't approved by Apple.

Would you buy a Drill if you were only allowed to use Black & Decker approved bits?
Well, I see this product in more the web book mini laptop market that has been picking up speed with the Intel Atom chips etc. A small basic computer for web and email so popular with the young crowd. It's $100 more than an entry level Atom processor based machine. I personally don't like surfing and email on my BB Storm (Similar to iPHone). It's too small and a bit clunky, and I think the extra size will allow this to expand the use more than a 4.3" screen.

While I agree to an extent about Apple software, the sheer mass of people now developing software and apps for iX products, makes it attractive.

While the need for Apple approval takes away the 'shareware' or 'open source' aspect out of their platform, it also ensures the software you get should work as advertised without any driver or running related problems.

Apple does a good job protecting their brand and their identity, and you have to think the innovation of their designs takes a good deal of R&D money, which amounts to the higher cost. It's not like they just copy a design with a few changes and flood the market with the same stuff with thier brand on it. (See HP).

I just love the UI on Apple's stuff, it is very intuitive to use and is just plain cool enough to show all your friends.

Just my thoughts on Apple.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev

What a cool little cam for $25 bucks! When you get it, I'm interested to know the quality of the video it kicks out. Do share!
It should be here next week, but if you look at the reviews on that product in that link you'll see some youtube links, i watched a few, having the prop in line with the camera view kinda kills the shot though.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite
That's right, you buy a motor and make a drill, several PCs (including a netbook) here running OSx.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:34 PM   #9

Not a fan of Apple OS.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Not a fan of Apple OS.
How come?

Old 03-27-2010, 02:45 AM   #11

Well, I haven't really used Mac OS since school, but during that time, the computers seemed (comparable to windows) to be very unstable and crashed a lot. Now, Apple to me, is more of a marketing gimmick then anything, you pay more for a computer that can do less, but is marketed like it is superior. It's sort of like Harley ownership to me, and Windows is more like my kawasaki, it cost less and is just as versatile (actually, more versatile). Just my opinion though, if someone likes Mac, good for them, I just won't be buying one anytime soon. Windows XP and Windows 7 are really good operating systems. Windows supports a wider variety of hardware and software, and has cheaper peripherals available. (I skipped Vista so I can't comment on it)

Old 03-27-2010, 03:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Well, I haven't really used Mac OS since school, but during that time, the computers seemed (comparable to windows) to be very unstable and crashed a lot. Now, Apple to me, is more of a marketing gimmick then anything, you pay more for a computer that can do less, but is marketed like it is superior. It's sort of like Harley ownership to me, and Windows is more like my kawasaki, it cost less and is just as versatile (actually, more versatile). Just my opinion though, if someone likes Mac, good for them, I just won't be buying one anytime soon. Windows XP and Windows 7 are really good operating systems. Windows supports a wider variety of hardware and software, and has cheaper peripherals available. (I skipped Vista so I can't comment on it)
Well I would have said the cheapness and varied uses of the PC over Apple would have likely been caused by sheer number of units in operation. That is probably still the case.

Apple does very good things with graphics and pictures. My dad's iBook will convert video files and process photoshop extremely fast. It has a real slick UI. I *hate* windows based trackpads, I find them totally clunky and hard to use, but pick up an Apple and it just works super well.

With that said, when I bought my laptop two years ago, I had the choice of going with an Apple, but chose a Windows based Toshiba because I felt I was getting more computer for my needs for less money. Plus I'm way more familliar with the Windows quirks than that of Apple. I can't say I regret my decision. With all of Vista's negative press it's worked fine for me. The only issue I had was I couldn't get it to talk to my old XP based desktop, which is now obsolete anyhow.

I appreciate Apple's design and ingenuity in some of the things they do, but I'm also not a Microsoft basher either.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Computers here run 24/7 and I see no unstable or crashing (even with my hacks, and a lone W7 computer) here. I made the switch to Mac (or OSx) after I realized almost every kid that fancies himself/herself a hacker is writing exploits/viruses for Micro$oft operating systems. I also find that not having to run virus protection programs OF ANY KIND allows me to do more with less, as the running of those programs costs more, in CPU cycles, then the running of the operating system. I do agree that buying Mac hardware is more expensive, and I do question the value (hence my hacks), but I find the older Mac hardware (pre 2005) almost bulletproof, dated, but bulletproof, and own several of those. You are right, hardware support is limited, but some of those folks making that hardware, should not be making hardware anyway, and are only "in the business" for a quick buck. My main internet "box", that I use every day for surfing the web and H264 video, was born in November of 1999, 10+ years old. Where is your 10 year old windoze box?

Old 03-27-2010, 03:59 PM   #14

I have an over 10 year old laptop with XP on it... It's not the greatest though. Apple may have gotten more stable, but I was talking about my years of experience with them in the past, with the older Macs.

I have never had issues with viruses on my windows computers... I am running an anti virus program now, but it is free from Microsoft, in the past I didn't bother. There is more viruses for windows probably, because windows is more popular, it has a bigger audience to target with viruses, I don't think it's because they're inferior.

How many different games can your apple play? What more do you get to do because you are on a mac then on a windows? Mac is probably fine, it just isn't for me, if they were on par price wise, I may look at them. I like the laptop hunter commercials windows did.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #15

I switched over to Mac about a year ago. It was expensive, but since I have a windows machine at work, I have a weekly reminder just why I made the switch, and i certainly don't regret it.
I'm not a computer guy, so I want a machine that's going to work without doing anything quirky, or retarded. If I had a dollar for everytime I either needed to restart my windows machine, or heard a tech/IT guy say 'they sometimes do that, just live with it', I'd be rich (well maybe not)
I don't have any of these problems with the Mac.

Quote:
Well, I haven't really used Mac OS since school, but during that time, the computers seemed (comparable to windows) to be very unstable and crashed a lot. Now, Apple to me, is more of a marketing gimmick then anything, you pay more for a computer that can do less, but is marketed like it is superior. It's sort of like Harley ownership to me, and Windows is more like my kawasaki, it cost less and is just as versatile (actually, more versatile).
That's the first time I've ever heard of a Mac referred to as being unstable.
As much as I hate to say it, to me, the Mac is like a Honda Accord. It's an appliance, and it does what it does very well, without issue. The Windows machine is like a Geo Metro. It does the same job, just not as well, but it's cheap buy in, although you'll always be working on it.