Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-14-2015, 01:18 AM   #1

Hehe V-Retro V-Raptors Across Australia

Reproduced from my intro thread -
Ok, where do you start? - Right here looks good I suppose!
I have just bought 2 Skyteam V-Retro 250's (223 to be precise) for an idiotic ride across Australia (16Sep 27Sep 2015) to commemorate my wife's 50th birthday. This surprised me somewhat because last year I bought her a funeral plot as a present and she still hasn't used that yet.
We live in South East Queensland Australia and are relatively close to some great weekend riding areas. Both my wife and I commute to work by bike, her on a Yamaha Majesty 400 scooter and me on a CTX700. On the weekend she rides a Triumph Speedmaster while mine is a Triumph Thruxton. The shed also contains a number of XR250's, KLE500, Ducati Monster 900 as well as some old school SR500's and a TT500 - yep we love our bikes.
Back to the V-Retro's, sometimes called V-Raptors. The bikes were bought sight unseen from Scooters and Buggies in Western Australia, price was $1995AUD registered ride away which equates to $1556USD or 1017GBP which (to me) is a bargain price. Bikes are new and have been delivered still in their boxes as I requested.
The ride is quite simple, we fly to Perth West Australia, assemble the bikes, load them up and then off we go on our 5500km "relocation" ride through the middle of Australia- what could possibly go wrong?
I'll let this sink in for a while and I'll be back to explain a little bit more shortly. Any V-Retro owners in Aussie please let me know - you may have "life saving" info.
And now for the update:
The bikes are still in their crates in West Oz and there is a pile of stuff in the spare bedroom waiting to be packed into the travel bags before we fly out. The pile includes DID VX2 chains, larger front sprockets, Loctite, hand guards, tools, Loctite, tubes, spokes, Loctite, topbox, 12v/USB power sockets, Loctite, wheel weights etc. We have a pair of Pirelli MT43's with the bikes thanks to the ChinaRider forum advice and a 10 litre fuel container as I'm unsure of how far we can go on the standard 10L fuel tanks. If we time the fuel stops correctly our max distance between stops will be 360kms. The longest day is the first day and is planned for 800km (500Mi) before the overnight camp. I have promised my wife 10 days of fun filled riding - well it will be fun when we stop - the rest will be an endurance.
Attached SHOULD be a map of the route and the other pic is either the 'endurance' or the 'fun' pic. I cant remember which.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015 China Ride.jpg (16.7 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1394A[1].jpg (50.6 KB, 217 views)