Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #1

oil indicator detached!

Hello, and straight to the point because is the first time to see this. The oil indicator, the small glass to measure the oil level, was detached, any idea how to reattach it? I was on way home from work and as you realize I was full of oil the 1 shoe and trousers, any way the bike is zongshen sierra 200gy.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:50 PM   #2

Part #23. Might need the gasket for the engine cover.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...7776#sch304764

Old 07-27-2011, 12:46 AM   #3

Re: oil indicator detached!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo99rge
Hello, and straight to the point because is the first time to see this. The oil indicator, the small glass to measure the oil level, was detached, any idea how to reattach it? I was on way home from work and as you realize I was full of oil the 1 shoe and trousers, any way the bike is zongshen sierra 200gy.
If you press in on the oil sight glass of your Zongshen, Sierra 200GY-2 (or Yamaha, TW200), you can loosen it enough to cause a leak. :( I had this same problem with my Zong after I cleaned some dirt from the oil sight glass with a paper towel. :roll:

I fixed the problem in the following manner.

1. Drain the engine oil.
2. Remove the oil filter cover, and oil filter.
3. Remove the kick starter.
4. Loosen all bolts on the right crankcase cover.
5. Carefully remove the right crankcase cover, being careful not to damage the crankcase cover gasket.
6. Push the oil sight glass back into the right crankcase cover.
7. Re-install the right crankcase cover.
8. Re-install the kick starter.
9. Re-install the oil filter, and oil filter cover.
10. Add one quart of motor oil.

You might want to purchase a spare gasket for the right crankcase cover before you fix this problem, just in case you damage the gasket when you remove the crankcase cover.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-27-2011, 03:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:
If you press in on the oil sight glass of your Zongshen, Sierra 200GY-2 (or Yamaha, TW200), you can loosen it enough to cause a leak. :( I had this same problem with my Zong after I cleaned some dirt from the oil sight glass with a paper towel. :roll:

I fixed the problem in the following manner.

1. Drain the engine oil.
2. Remove the oil filter cover, and oil filter.
3. Remove the kick starter.
4. Loosen all bolts on the right crankcase cover.
5. Carefully remove the right crankcase cover, being careful not to damage the crankcase cover gasket.
6. Push the oil sight glass back into the right crankcase cover.
7. Re-install the right crankcase cover.
8. Re-install the kick starter.
9. Re-install the oil filter, and oil filter cover.
10. Add one quart of motor oil.

You might want to purchase a spare gasket for the right crankcase cover before you fix this problem, just in case you damage the gasket when you remove the crankcase cover.

Spud
I did not touch at all, 2 hours before i saw it i was for an oil change, but nobody touch i was present at all time, anyway im thinking to glue it with some loctite, just in case it will movie again, i was thinking to do the same Spud. When i repair it until Saturday i will info you.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:27 PM   #5

Aluminum.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #6

Quote:
I did not touch at all, 2 hours before i saw it i was for an oil change, but nobody touch i was present at all time, anyway im thinking to glue it with some loctite, just in case it will movie again, i was thinking to do the same Spud. When i repair it until Saturday i will info you.
I believe you, George. Sometimes the oil sight window will get a little dirty, so I would clean mine with a paper towel. After cleaning it several times, I pushed it in far enough to create a small leak. This is the reason I needed to push my oil sight window back into position.

If your oil sight window shook loose from vibration, you might want to buy a replacement part from Yamaha, as Katoranger suggested. The oil sight window is held in place by a thick, rubber grommet, and it should not shake loose. :roll: I would not recommend you glue the oil sight window in place. As long as no one pushes on the oil sight window, it is secured very tightly by the rubber grommet. I would not use loctite, glue, wires, or any other method to alter the factory design. This part was designed by Yamaha, and it works very well. I fear you risk contaminating the engine oil, or getting foreign material inside the engine if you alter this design. 8O

If you bought this motorcycle used, the previous owner probably pushed in the oil sight window a little bit while cleaning it, as I did. If that's the case, the rubber grommet is undoubtedly in good shape, and you just need to push it back into the hole in the crankcase cover. If you are the original owner, and no one pushed on the oil sight window, I suggest you buy a replacement part from Yamaha; it only cost $14.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #7

I agree, especially since a failure of this part could be catastrophic. The motor could lose its oil and sieze, ruining it and cauing a crash. Also it could spill on the rear tire, also perhaps causing a crash.

I'd ground the bike until it's repaired.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
I agree, especially since a failure of this part could be catastrophic. The motor could lose its oil and sieze, ruining it and cauing a crash. Also it could spill on the rear tire, also perhaps causing a crash.

I'd ground the bike until it's repaired.
Absolutely! You need to repair this item before you ride again, George. Fortunately, this repair is very simple, and it doesn't require much time. I was very careful removing the crankcase cover, so I didn't damage my crankcase cover gasket. I reused the same gasket, and I don't have any oil leaks.

If you want to guarantee the repair before you begin, you should order a spare gasket, and a spare oil sight window. However, I think you will probably be fine if you reuse both items currently on your motorcycle.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #9

So far so good I had removed the cover as from Spud's instructions, it feels a bit loose the glass, but did not have time to check it further it was getting dark, but here is the weird part, there is no gasket!
Yes I buy the motorcycle as a second hand where, the transmission disks was replaced last year, anyway I will order a new glass and a made gasket to finish with this.
Also I saw a lot of metal trimss on the oil filter does anyone knows from where it might be? On that side as much I could see nothing was damaged.
I will post photos just to make a quick review for everyone might experience the same problem.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #10

Quote:
So far so good I had removed the cover as from Spud's instructions, it feels a bit loose the glass, but did not have time to check it further it was getting dark, but here is the weird part, there is no gasket!
Yes I buy the motorcycle as a second hand where, the transmission disks was replaced last year, anyway I will order a new glass and a made gasket to finish with this.
Also I saw a lot of metal trimss on the oil filter does anyone knows from where it might be? On that side as much I could see nothing was damaged.
I will post photos just to make a quick review for everyone might experience the same problem.
The oil sight glass is surrounded by a rubber grommet, which makes a tight fit in the oil inspection hole. The gasket for the left crankcase cover might be glued to the crankcase, and didn't separate when you removed the crankcase cover. I'm sure you have a gasket, or you would definitely have an oil leak from the crankcase cover. If the gasket is glued to the crankcase, don't tamper with it; just leave it in place, and reattach the crankcase cover when the job is completed. If the oil sight glass makes a tight fit in the crankcase cover, you don't need to order any new parts.

The metal bits and crud on the oil filter are normal. However, you should be cleaning your oil filter every time you change your engine oil. The Zong/Yamaha oil filter is reusable. Just clean it with WD40, or another solvent, and remove all the crud. Then replace the clean oil filter, and fill you bike with 1 quart of good motor oil.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-28-2011, 04:27 AM   #11

Yes probably was glued on, anyway i have order for a new gasket just in case need it.
of course i will clean the oil filter, but there their is no special way to mount it as Mr. Spud did with yamaha's filter as i remember from the review. i will check the manual again just in case

Old 07-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Yes probably was glued on, anyway i have order for a new gasket just in case need it.
of course i will clean the oil filter, but there their is no special way to mount it as Mr. Spud did with yamaha's filter as i remember from the review. i will check the manual again just in case
You are wise to order a spare gasket, George. The gaskets are not expensive, and it is good to have one handy in case you need it. Your Zongshen 200GY-2 uses the same oil filter as the Yamaha TW200 motorcycle, and one installs the oil filter in the same manner.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #13

First things first, almost a complete success except a small leak where is located on the bottom second screw from aft side, until tomorrow i will re-check how much is leaking.
My mechanic finally did not order for a extra gasket because he believes the gasket was not damaged and i agree, today i shaw it on the main body. We also add some glue to the glass just in case it will not move again.
anyway here are the photos as promised

right cover before mount it

By geo99rge at 2011-07-28

with oil filter

main body side with red is the point leakage

And a panoramic view

thank for your help and if anything changes i will inform you.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:59 AM   #14

Thank you for posting the photos, George! The gasket might be damaged where you have the small oil leak. If the oil leaks too much you might have to remove the right crankcase cover, and either replace the gasket, or smear some RTV silicone on the gasket around the affected area.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #15

Everything is ok now, put so glue to be sure. The gasket was stocked on mainbody after all.