Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2007, 07:43 PM   #1

Just picked up my Lifan LF-200GY5!!

Bought it from http://www.atvdiscounter.com/ but off ebay when they had a sale, $1099 shipped. Had it shipped to my local motorcycle shop www.shoremotorsports.com and Jon did a great job with the prep. Took them about 3.5 hrs to assemble and do all the neccessary prep like loc-tite on the screws, Royal Purple oil change, adjustments, etc, so it was $255 for labor and supplies, not too bad. Overall the bike looks and runs as I expected for the amount of money I spent. I was shocked that it actually has a digital transmission gear indicator!

So i drove it home and it rode just about how i had imagined it would, comfortable cruising speed is 55mph with a max of 60mph on the flat (speedometer is accurate, tested against my wifes car). How does this compare to you other guys? NOTE: I am 6'6" 430 lbs so I'm guessing a lighter rider would go a bit faster. I don't plan on riding it again until the weather warms up, by then I should be at least 100 lbs to 150 lbs lighter (having gastric bypass surgery next week).

The 20 mile trip home was pleasant though COLD (30's today).

Some things of note:

(1) The bike has a rear drum brake, it was built in July 2007, I was expecting discs all around, but it seems to stop OK even with my weight.

(2) I'm getting a noticeable burning rubber smell, any ideas where I should look?

(3) The handlebars wont seem to tighten fully, I had Jon tighten them more but he didnt want to go much further for fear of stripping them. When I exit the bike I put my weight on the bars and they move down pretty easily. Ideas?

(4) The bike seems to idle around 3k rpm, is this OK? seems a bit high.

Thanks for any input you have!

-Adam

Old 12-29-2007, 12:13 AM   #2

Burnt rubber smell could be the rubber flap in front of the rear wheel... it can get pushed up the wrong direction.. and then rubs the tire.

The speed is bout right... first thing to change is the rear gearing.. call EJ Cycles.. and they can fix you up with whatever you need... I went from the stock 54t rear to a 45t... kept the 17t front sprocket... also got the UNI pod filter.. and 3 jets in case I needed them.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net/
330-274-0098

The handlebars should be tight... If needed you could get longer bolts and run thru the place they screw into now.. and use a nut on the bottom to secure it.. then it will be sandwitched between... and you can really tighten it without worry of stripping the original threads.

I had trouble with the battery box comming loose.. if yours hangs on the left side youshould put some nut on the back side.. double nutting it... so it cant vibrate loose... I can get pics if you need them.

Idle should not be at 3K.. but are you sure its that high?? if you dont have a tach.. and are only judging by sound.. it may sound high to you of you are used to a car idle... it shoudl idle about 1500RPM Here is a video of mine at idle.. and reving a bit.

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u...ent=Roketa.flv

Have fun with it.. I have really enjoyed my China bike... have about 2K on it now... Just finished a 200 mile run last weekend...

Take care.

Ken

Old 12-29-2007, 10:06 AM   #3

thanks for the reply!

mine definitely idles alot higher than yours, i do have a tach and its showing 3k, guess i'll have to adjust that.

with the new sproket how much did it raise your top speed?

thanks!

Old 12-29-2007, 03:10 PM   #4

Your GY-5 already has the correct rear sprocket, and battery safe and sound under the seat. No need to change it out. If you are that heavy, you should feel lucky to get 55 mph out of it. That's abotu all it's gonna give you. BTW, idle should be down around 1500. Idle screw is on the right side of the carb. Screw it CCW to lower the idle. Welcome to China Riders!!!!!
2006 Roketa RSX200E MODS: YZ250F Muffler, Airbox delete with K/N style filter, Main Jet reamed 2 sizes over, Yamaha R1 Rear clicker shock on custom scissor linkage making 8 3/4in. of rear wheel travel!!! Battery relocated under seat.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2003
Your GY-5 already has the correct rear sprocket, and battery safe and sound under the seat. No need to change it out. If you are that heavy, you should feel lucky to get 55 mph out of it. That's abotu all it's gonna give you. BTW, idle should be down around 1500. Idle screw is on the right side of the carb. Screw it CCW to lower the idle. Welcome to China Riders!!!!!
I would still check the sprocket... if it has a 54t then you can improve it. The Lifan's are different than my Roketa...so itmay already have a 45t on it or a smaller front sprocket.

Good that the battery is under the seat... much better place for it.. Not sure I agree with the 55 MPH max speed.. I weigh 220, and have never had problems getting 60 out of mine. even with the old sprocket... now with the new one 65 to 70 is no problem... My Roketa has the OHC engine.. not sure how much difference that would make.

Glad you enjoy your bike... keep us posted on how it goes.

Ken

Old 12-31-2007, 04:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kens97sto171
Quote:
Originally Posted by red2003
I would still check the sprocket... if it has a 54t then you can improve it. The Lifan's are different than my Roketa...so itmay already have a 45t on it or a smaller front sprocket.

Good that the battery is under the seat... much better place for it.. Not sure I agree with the 55 MPH max speed.. I weigh 220, and have never had problems getting 60 out of mine. even with the old sprocket... now with the new one 65 to 70 is no problem... My Roketa has the OHC engine.. not sure how much difference that would make.

Glad you enjoy your bike... keep us posted on how it goes.

Ken
Like I said, no need to change out the sprockets. The Lifan GY-5 has 17/45 sprockets, trust me on this one. My Roketa will do 70, but at over 400 lbs he's 100 lbs over the max weight capacity of the bike. 55 mph is good for a 16 hp engine towing around that weight.
2006 Roketa RSX200E MODS: YZ250F Muffler, Airbox delete with K/N style filter, Main Jet reamed 2 sizes over, Yamaha R1 Rear clicker shock on custom scissor linkage making 8 3/4in. of rear wheel travel!!! Battery relocated under seat.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:12 PM   #7

Sorry.. I misread the weight.. as 230lbs.. Yea.. he is doing fine with the speed. I was only suggesting he check the sprockets since since it takes 2 min to do it.

Have a Happy New Year and ride safe...

Ken

Old 01-01-2008, 02:14 AM   #8

If he really weighs over 400lbs I don't think he should change the gearing for more higher end as the bike might have a horrible time going up hills.
2005 TANK Trail 200
2009 Lifan LY110GY-3 (2)

Old 01-04-2008, 09:07 PM   #9

One of your 1st mods should be a handlebar riser kit. I'm 6'3" and it made a huge difference on how the bike feels. Search my name and you should find a link.

WELCOME!

Old 01-04-2008, 09:46 PM   #10

I recommend new hand grips, the original ones are too hard

Old 01-05-2008, 11:09 AM   #11

savage where did you get your risers?

Old 01-05-2008, 06:48 PM   #12

Search my name to be sure but I believe it was atvrider.com and the company might have been Tusk.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:31 AM   #13

thanks savage i'll try it.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:34 AM   #14

We've gotten off topic but here ya go. Combine these 2 for a nice mod for standing up riding the trails.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...r=asc&start=15

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...482&highlight=