Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2011, 10:42 PM   #1

New Zongshen

Hi all, just been given my dad's 2007 Zongshen (it's been sat in the garage and never moved for 2 years)! Anyway got it started eventually,changed the plug oil etc and it's running like a dream!

It's great getting around town and ive stopped using the car now lol!

Anyway what mods do people do to these little bikes? Getting itchy fingers now and need to do something to it! Ive been through all spuds stickies but don't know what to do first ideas?

Old 08-17-2011, 11:28 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum!

Great bike!

Spud's notes won't directly help you. While you both have Zongs, they are different species. His is Yamaha based, yours is Honda based.

There are many other threads refering to improving Hondoids (as we call them here). You'll want to look into changing the sprockets, rejetting the carb, and fitting an aftermarket exhaust. :wink:

Old 08-17-2011, 11:49 PM   #3

Wow, just learned something new , i just presumed ye had the same bike (the oil change in his sticky was identical to mine).

Are there any similar pages for the Honda clones?

Cheers

Old 08-18-2011, 01:23 AM   #4

NUTS. :?

I accidently lied to you. Didn't look at the pics close enough. Sorry but you DO have the same bike as Spud, just different bodywork than I'm used to seeing.

I'm tired, long day. Glad you were not a patient! :roll:

You have been blessed with the premier Chinabike.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:24 AM   #5

Welcome Rob!

My good friend Doc, I respectfully disagree with you; I think this bike is a Yamaha clone, like Spud's. Honda clones don't have replaceable oil filters on the right side.

Many happy miles Rob.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-18-2011, 02:15 AM   #6

Thanks guys, so the yamaha clone is the best one then yipee! Must say I'm glad I found this site it's brilliant, masses of knowledge!

I'm in Australia so we might have different bodywork here, no place for parts here either :(
Does anyone know if you can deactivate or get rid of the engine cut off on the stand? I have an intermitant problem with it.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:46 AM   #7

Welcome to these forums, and welcome to The Cult of The Zong, Rob! Indeed, you own the same bike as I, a Zongshen 200GY-2, which is a clone of the Yamaha, TW200 motorcycle. Thank you for posting the photos of your motorcycle!

Your bike looks great; I really like the color scheme! You are also fortunate to have the dual sport tires mounted on your Zong. These tires are unavailable for sale in the U.S.A. Can you get replacement, dual sport tires for your bike in Australia?

Besides the color scheme, I notice another difference between your bike, and the bikes imported into the United States of America. You have the silver, Chinese muffler on your bike. Is this muffler heavy, or lightweight? Also, do you need to repack this muffler?

Since you have read the Zong Sticky, you know you can make many useful modifications to your bike. As a first modification, I suggest you trim the frame to allow easy access to your air filter.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=6690

I also suggest you trim the left side plastic on your bike to allow easier access to the fuel petcock.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=7950

In addition, I encourage you to plan on performing the left crankcase cover modification to allow easier inspection, and replacement of your countershaft sprocket.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=7559

Without sectioning the left crankcase cover, it is difficult to know how many teeth you have on your current countershaft sprocket. However, if your bike is geared too high, you will want to install a smaller countershaft sprocket. Therefore, I encourage you to read the threads in the Zong Sticky regarding sprocket information for your 200GY-2.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=7565

You will also want to learn how to jet your carburetor for the best operation at your elevation.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=9165

You might also want to convert your BA20D headlight to a brighter, H4 headlight.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=8773

Finally, if you ride off road, you might want to install a TW200 skid plate on your bike.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=8993

Once again, welcome to The Cult of The Zong! Resistance was futile; you have been assimilated! 8)

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-18-2011, 03:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Zong
...I'm in Australia so we might have different bodywork here, no place for parts here either :(
Does anyone know if you can deactivate or get rid of the engine cut off on the stand? I have an intermitant problem with it.
Your bodywork is the same; only the colors are different, Rob. Am I correct in assuming Zongshen Australia is no longer in business? Your engine is a faithful copy of a Yamaha engine; therefore, you are fortunate you can employ Yamaha, TW200 parts for your engine. You should quickly acquire a spare CDI unit for you bike. Unfortunately, you cannot use a Yamaha CDI unit. :( However, I believe you can use a CDI unit designed for the Lifan, 150cc pit bikes, if you make a wiring adapter.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...wtopic&t=11397

If you ride off road, you might also want to acquire spare bodywork for your bike. Otherwise, you can repair the ABS using a variety of different methods, including welding the plastic.

I don't see a kick stand safety switch on my Zongshen wiring diagram. However, you might be able to bypass the switch by shorting the two wires leading to it.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #9

welcome to the australian zongstars, the inofficial chinarider zongshen 200 faction, membership 3 (you and me, plus spud as honorary lifetime member - if he wants to ).

as far as conversions go, i d mention my three faves for functionality:

drill 3 holes in airbox, rejet carbie, lower needle one notch (richer)
OR
get a proper mikuni slide carbie. there s a guy in SA who sells them, they are around 300 $ from memory.

header pipe from moto bike pipe shop + cheapo racing exhaust from chinese bike shop near you

aftermarket clarke tank

sound, speed, range: these three i enjoy most every time i ride. u can do heaps for the looks of the bike.

IMHO the chinese attempt at getting the honda red right, hmm, well, it failed. the green model was the worst of all, though. black and orange work. but thats IMHO only.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zingshoen
welcome to the australian zongstars, the inofficial chinarider zongshen 200 faction, membership 3 (you and me, plus spud as honorary lifetime member - if he wants to )...
I am very gratified to accept honorary, lifetime membership in the Australian ZongStars. Thank you, Zingshoen. I accept this honor in addition to my duties as the founder, and self-appointed President of The Cult of The Zong. Resistance is futile; you will be assimilated. 8)

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-18-2011, 03:37 PM   #11

Wow! Seriously nice score on a really sharp Zong!
I hear if you keep watering them, they turn into a Honda XR 650 L!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 08-18-2011, 05:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ
Wow! Seriously nice score on a really sharp Zong!
I hear if you keep watering them, they turn into a Honda XR 650 L!
That would be quite the trick, wouldn't it! The Zong is a great little bike, and I have had a lot of fun riding mine.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-18-2011, 05:56 PM   #13

I'm watering my CB175 expecting a CBX.
:roll:
Will post pics. :wink:

Old 08-18-2011, 07:37 PM   #14

If you give them high test they will sprout new cylinders.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:39 PM   #15

Spud I'm going to look into tires for you, I'm lucky tho for spares etc... My brother bought one at the same time and fell off it on the beach a few days after he got it and has no desire to ride it! It has been up for sale once but no one wanted it so it's sat in the other garage and has 10km on it lol!

</td></tr>