Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2011, 08:08 AM   #16

+1 on spare cdi unit.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #17

Bought a new CDI for my bike and 130 miles later.... my bike stops working! The same thing happened as when it broke down last time. I was riding for ten seconds and the bike shut off. Tried to start it again and nothing. I think the CDI broke again, so I called up Zongshen America and they suggested I order a new Stator as well as a new CDI. Could a bad stator ruin the CDI? Any suggestions before I order the parts?

Old 08-26-2011, 04:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithtra
Bought a new CDI for my bike and 130 miles later.... my bike stops working! The same thing happened as when it broke down last time. I was riding for ten seconds and the bike shut off. Tried to start it again and nothing. I think the CDI broke again, so I called up Zongshen America and they suggested I order a new Stator as well as a new CDI. Could a bad stator ruin the CDI? Any suggestions before I order the parts?
I have read reports a bad CDI unit can ruin a stator, but not the other way around. I also needed to replace my stator after I replaced my CDI unit, so I am not surprised by your problem.

The new stator and pickup coil are not expensive, and the job is not difficult to perform. I suggest you also order a gasket for the left crankcase cover; you will probably tear the stock gasket when your remove the cover. If you haven't already done so, I also suggest you perform the left crankase cover modification while you have the cover removed.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #19

Thanks Spud! So maybe the first CDI that went bad ruined my stator and since it was never changed it ruined my new CDI. I'll ask about the ignition coil when I order the new parts. What is the left crankase cover modification and why should I do it?

Old 08-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithtra
Thanks Spud! So maybe the first CDI that went bad ruined my stator and since it was never changed it ruined my new CDI. I'll ask about the ignition coil when I order the new parts. What is the left crankase cover modification and why should I do it?
I doubt your new CDI unit was ruined by the stator. I think it's a good possibility the stator was the problem from the beginning. When you order a new stator, the pickup coil is included with it.

The left crankcase cover modification is detailed at the following thread.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=7559

Sectioning the left crankcase cover greatly facilitates maintenance for the drive chain and countershaft sprocket.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-28-2011, 08:21 PM   #21

ok thanks for the suggestion spud!