Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2012, 02:42 AM   #1

CBR 125

Well since I've gotten rid of my Kawasaki, and can't trust my CL farther than I can throw it... Combined with me replacing my Sunfire with a gas guzzling Jimmy (more on that later)... I'm considering getting a CBR125 again...

The prices on these bikes hasn't appeared to change since last time I had one! They're still around $2000-$2500... They're all basically new. I am planning on looking at one tomorrow that has 12K kms on it though, it has more miles then most, and he's asking $1600. If it's any good I'll see if he'll go down a bit.

I wonder if any of the knowledgeable people here know if the CBR125 shares an engine with another Honda bike (dirtbike?). How many km's would you figure you'd get out of these before needing work assuming proper maintenance and no one in a thousand catastrophic failures...?

The Jimmy I got is a 4 door, v6. I mainly wanted it for the roof rack and trailer hitch. The idea for it is to take a bunch of us to the mountains in the winter for skiing and snowboarding, and bringing our gear. And in the summer, to put kayaks up on the roof and bicycles in the hitch.

I think a gas sipping CBR 125 would be good to counteract the Jimmy. I can ride the bike on the decent days, a 30km round trip commute, and my occasional longer trips around 160km round trip, 2 - 4 times a month.

About the Jimmy... I have some pics to share.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:54 AM   #2

So the pics...

I bought the 95 Jimmy for $500 from a friend of the family.

My fourth day driving to work, someone pulled out when they couldn't see just as I was going by. I tried to avoid her, but my front right corner hit her car just in front of her front drivers tire. I had turned hard left and braked, I guess I would've got her right in the drivers door if I hadn't. She had a bump on her head, but otherwise was fine. I was fine. They took her to the hospital, but they got her coffee out of her car for her first (she was pulling out of a Tim Hortons driveway). As far as I know she's ok, she submitted her claim to the insurance company. The police, and insurance company agreed it was 100% her fault.

For that they wrote off the Jimmy. She was driving a 2012 Toyota, I think they'll probably fix it.

Filed under stuff happens. It's just a hunk of metal. I'm ok, and I'm pretty certain she's ok. People make mistakes.

With the money from the insurance company I replaced the 95 Jimmy with a 99 Jimmy. It's had a lot of maintenance, they took it to the shop for everything and kept the receipts. It has a just about brand new set of tires on the stock wheels, and a brand new set of snow tires on steel wheels. It has auto 4x4. Fully loaded like the other one, but a bit updated. Needs a few things. New drivers mirror (power heated). The drivers door power lock doesn't work. The power mirror switch. The ac isn't cold (the other one wasn't either). But with the 2 sets of good tires it was a pretty good deal I think. I think it cost me about $100 less then I got from insurance after taxes.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #3

Jim, I'm glad you're ok.

The benefit to the '99 is that it used R134a from the factory, so recharging the a/c will be easy. I recommend that you replace the o-rings first, but that's not a terrible job.

Does this one have a receiver? I have a bike carrier for a Class III receiver that carries four bikes; you're welcome to use it any time.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #4

Glad everyone is OK.

I like the way it worked out for you with the newer better Jimmy.

What's the maximum safe cruising speed of a 125? Is it water or aircooled? $ or 2 valve?

We don't have those south of the border.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #5

I don't know what the r134a means but it sounds like the refrigerant?
There is a noise in the dash occasionally, google indicates it could be an air pocket trapped in the coolant / heater core. I'm not sure. If I apply pressure to the gas pedal it stops, if I ease off it, it returns. It isn't always there.

Yes it does have a hitch, and it is much nicer looking then the one on the 95. I appreciate the offer for the bike rack, but I just picked up a 4 bike, rack from Costco for $70.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Glad everyone is OK.

I like the way it worked out for you with the newer better Jimmy.

What's the maximum safe cruising speed of a 125? Is it water or aircooled? $ or 2 valve?

We don't have those south of the border.
Yes it worked out pretty well, I know bumps to the head can be bad, but I have no way of getting in touch with the other driver. She made her insurance claims a few days later though so I can only assume she must be ok. It was a bump,hopefully it goes away for her quickly.

I had a CBR125 in 09, and it would do 130km/h on the freeway, and that was uphill. I'm a little heavier then I was then, but working on remedying that... It is liquid cooled. From wikipedia, " It is powered by a liquid-cooled four-stroke, two-valve SOHC, single cylinder 124.7 cc engine with a claimed power rating of 10 kW (13 hp).".

Old 07-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #7

Sounds like a good bike. Over 70 MPG I bet. 8)

Old 07-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #8

I've heard up too 100mpg, probably depends on the rider.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #9

My 175 gets 75 so I can believbe that.

These little bikes do better at lower speed rather than full throttle going faster, up wind or uphill.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
I don't know what the r134a means but it sounds like the refrigerant?
There is a noise in the dash occasionally, google indicates it could be an air pocket trapped in the coolant / heater core. I'm not sure. If I apply pressure to the gas pedal it stops, if I ease off it, it returns. It isn't always there.

Yes it does have a hitch, and it is much nicer looking then the one on the 95. I appreciate the offer for the bike rack, but I just picked up a 4 bike, rack from Costco for $70.
That's interesting about the air pocket theory. I'm not sure how to remedy that, aside from trying to purge the air by running the engine without the rad cap on. That's a messy procedure.

Yes, R134a is the refrigerant that comes in new cars today. R12 was outlawed in the late 90's. You can choose to buy R134a or you can try Duracool, which often goes on sale at KMS.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-06-2012, 02:11 AM   #11

Right on. The a/c is on the list, but really, it's at the bottom, I've never really cared before if a/c worked.

We got a new set of shocks for it.

I looked at a CBR 125 today in Abby. It has 6K km's, and he's asking $2100. Well, it turns out it has been down while moving. Nothing serious, but the mufflers dented/scratched, the front brake lever bent, 2 fairings up front cracked / scratched, the headlight is scratched. Etc. Frame and forks and stuff are fine, but still with the damage it's way too much money. The seller insists it hasn't been down. He says he bought it like that and the guy he bought it from told him it hadn't been down. Well he may have fallen for that story but not me. And either way, the damage is there, it doesn't really matter where it came from. I'm going to be looking at one tomorrow after work with 12K km's on it, for $1600. We'll see what kind of condition it is in, if it's not bad I'll see if I can get it for $1400 or $1500. Otherwise I'm looking at a few others for around $1800 with low mileage.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:51 AM   #12

I'm sorry to hear of your collision, Jim. 8O I'm glad everyone is well.

I remember reading your previous reports concerning your CBR125R; it seemed like a very nice motorcycle. I remember visiting a very active, informative, CBR125R forum in Canada. I hope you have luck finding a good bike at a good price; please keep us updated!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-07-2012, 03:32 AM   #13

I went and looked at a cbr125 today for $1600. Turns out it too has been down with cracked fairings and a dented tank. I passed.

I looked at another, it is a 2008, with 3700km's, and in like new condition. It's black. I bought it for $1750. Should be reliable and cheap to run.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:08 AM   #14

That's great, Jim! Please post photos.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #15

Awesome Jim!

Since this is a bike commonly ridden by low time riders it does not surprise me many have been damaged.

Black is an awesome color for that bike. Can't wait for pics. :P

What's the plan for the old Honda?