Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2011, 09:59 PM   #1

Chinese Tires

I took my bike for a ride on the road, and after 15 mins of driving i stopped and noticed an 8 inch crack going along my rear tire sidewall. Luckily, I was a quarter mile from home when I noticed the crack. By the time I got home, the tire had practically fallen off.

TL;DR
What is your experience with the stock Chinese tires? I'm contemplating replacing the front tire before it ends up leaving me on the road.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:04 PM   #2

That's unusual. To be honest I have found the typical Chinese tire to be pretty good. Maybe your's was exposed to ozone (like an electric motor) or stored out in the sun before it was origianlly mounted or a prior owner ran it flat? I don't know but I'm glad you're OK.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:42 PM   #3

Glad to hear you made it home in one piece.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-17-2011, 11:55 PM   #4

Thanks. Me too :P

Old 06-18-2011, 01:13 AM   #5

I didn't have any problems with my stock tires. New tires are not that expensive. Find a set that suits your riding needs. Replace the tubes too.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:43 AM   #6

I am also glad to hear you make it home safely, Karl! I have had good experience with several Chinese tires. I am currently running my second, Cheng Shin, Surge I, front tire on my Honda XR650L motorcycle. I have also had good success running several Cheng Shin, C858, front tires on my Zongshen 200GY-2 motorcycle. I also received good service from a Chinese, Kingstone rear tire on my Zong. However, I did hear one report of a Korean, Shinko 700, rear tire shedding it's tread.

Nevertheless, I don't trust Chinese inner tubes. I agree with Allen (Katoranger). I encourage you to switch to Japanese inner tubes as soon as you can.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-18-2011, 07:03 AM   #7

I have cheng shin barracudas stock. The front is horrible. The back just sucks when you are leaned hard at low speeds it will want to slowly slide out.

2 flats in the rear in 5000km both were nails. but there is alot of those around here..

Good mileage for the wear.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:14 AM   #8

Re: Chinese Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl
I took my bike for a ride on the road, and after 15 mins of driving i stopped and noticed an 8 inch crack going along my rear tire sidewall. Luckily, I was a quarter mile from home when I noticed the crack. By the time I got home, the tire had practically fallen off.

TL;DR
What is your experience with the stock Chinese tires? I'm contemplating replacing the front tire before it ends up leaving me on the road.
What is the age and number of miles on the tire? Was it properly inflated?

Old 06-19-2011, 12:55 AM   #9

Re: Chinese Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl

TL;DR
Not sure what bike or year of bike you have....but never forget....with these Chinese bikes....odds are, the bike is YEARS OLD "new" when you get it.
Just sitting in storage...with the lousy Chinese rubber....will cause harm.
It's like the RV tire syndrome. You rarely drive it, but after a couple years, the sidewalls are cracked.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350