Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #1

xp200 removal front fairings for performance?

I googled but did not find any reference to anyone talking about this, at least with the terms I was using. Has anyone removed the wind scoop front fairings that bolt onto the fuel tank on either side of the front forms and if so has it increased either fuel economy or speed?

I was looking at that yesterday with a friend and it seemed to me that the plastic side bits just act like a wind scoop, and my theory is that it will slow the bike down because the wind resistance is greater. This also means that the engine has to work harder to achieve the same speeds which means fuel economy savings may be realized by removing these.

So has anyone done it? What were the results?

I am probably going to do this today, I have riding pants so the mud/water protection that they offer will be offset by the fact that my pants will keep my legs clean and dry. BTW if you need them cycle gear has BiLT rain pants for $15 right now, although you may be able to find something cheaper online elsewhere (I went to one of their physical stores so I could have them before my MSF class cause it is supposed to rain tomorrow and sunday). I have a 36 inch waist and had to get a XXL to get the fit that I was happy with, mostly my thighs are larger than average too many sports as a kid, but the XXL is snug without being too loose or too tight around my waist and I wont rip the pants when worn over jeans. They end up being a bit long but the elastic ankle bands prevents them from dragging and they are not so baggy around my ankles they will get caught in the chain or melt on the exhaust.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #2

From my perspective, it doesn't seem that removing them would make too much of a difference. Up until 50 or 55 mph or so wind resistance is pretty negligible, and you probably don't go too far past that anyways.

Then again, I don't really know what the fairing looks like or how big it is

Old 06-03-2011, 05:07 PM   #3

There are 3 screws and one of them is a pain to get to without unbolting and raising the fuel tank.

I looked at it closer and what I wonder is if it is supposed to channel air down and over the engine. Being air cooled that may be important. By removing them the air will more freely go across the sides of the tank instead of mostly down over the engine.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #4

I don't think any harm or overheating would come from removing them... I also don't think you would notice any difference in power or economy. If your cruising 65 mph (gps speed) on an XF or XP200 your doing very well, on my Konker supermoto 65 was pretty much redline and the bike was light enough that it got blown around on the highway a lot in traffic.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:37 PM   #5

I get blown around too, although its manageable.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #6

I think they are just to look nice. Leave them on or remove them per your preference.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:38 PM   #7

I've taken the fake shrouds off of my XF before and didn't notice and kind of performance gains from this. Honda tried this same idea on the Xr650l and in theory it is supposed to help direct additional airflow help cool the bike. key words: "supposed to" look more in the direction of caburetor and exhaust mods to maybe even a cam for any performance gains for the Q's

Old 06-04-2011, 01:30 AM   #8

I removed the fuel tank shroud when I installed a Clarke fuel tank on my Zongshen 200GY-2.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=8609
http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=8911

I have not noticed any overheating problems with my motorcycle. I don't think air scoops are necessary on a 200cc motorcycle.

Incidentally, it has been been documented the air scoops on the Honda XR650L are very effective at reducing engine temperatures. However, the engine in the Honda, 650cc thumper generates a lot more heat than a 200cc engine. Also, the air scoops of the Honda XR650L are very well designed, and much more effective than the cosmetic air scoops attached to our Chinese motorcycles.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-04-2011, 04:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Incidentally, it has been been documented the air scoops on the Honda XR650L are very effective at reducing engine temperatures. However, the engine in the Honda, 650cc thumper generates a lot more heat than a 200cc engine. Also, the air scoops of the Honda XR650L are very well designed, and much more effective than the cosmetic air scoops attached to our Chinese motorcycles.
Well the fuel tank is what is shaped in a downward slope, the scoops only catch the air, which then has very little room to go anywhere so it will mostly go down. Hmm if I go fast enough will this generate lift and allow me to fly?

Old 06-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter
I may be running mine hotter than average though. Put the stock exhaust back on to test the performance gains and melted the right rear turn signal, not just a little, it was gone. I now have new led replacement ones. It took about 30 miles to melt it to the point it was not only mostly gone in drips on the road but completely non-functional. I do not know when it really melted, only when I noticed it...
If your engine is running that hot, you are most likely jetted very lean in your carburetor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter
...Hmm if I go fast enough will this generate lift and allow me to fly?
No.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894