Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #31

Location: Wheeling, WV native currently living In Natchitoches, LA
Send a message via AIM to BrianW
Well, the new coil has the bike starting now, but it will not stay running. I thought it was flooded, but after letting it sit for at least 24 hours, it still doesn't want to idle. After the initial start up, it will bog down until it eventually stalls. Then will not start at all.

WaG, is the continuity test you mentioned suggested on a brand new coil? Or was that meant for my old coil? As of now I am using an unused coil from a 125cc engine.

What are your suggestions on the possibility of the stator dying?

Old 04-13-2011, 09:56 PM   #32

I was actually recommending that you check for continuity of the plug wire. You can check the impedance level of the old coil as well.

The stator is last on my list of suspicions.

It sounds like the carb needs a little tweaking. What position is the air / fuel screw in now? If you're not sure, gently turn the screw all the way in while counting the turns (so you can put it back if necessary). Back it out 1.5 turns and see if there is an improvement.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #33

No luck with the carb. I'm still open for suggestions. Considering the way it died, I'm inclined to believe it is electrical. Maybe the regulator? I just can't figure it out.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:44 PM   #34

Maybe you got a bad CDI unit. :?: Your engine still exhibits the symptoms of a bad CDI unit. :roll:

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-17-2011, 02:40 AM   #35

That's certainly possible Spud, but what's the likelihood of two in a row?

Brian, you said you're getting spark, so to me that rules out the CDI, regulator, coil and stator. How are you checking for spark?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-17-2011, 02:45 PM   #36

I am taking the plug out of the cylinder, placing it in the boot, setting it on the frame of the bike and pushing over the kickstarter. I am unfamiliar with any other way to test for it.
There is a spark, however, it is just unusually small.

Can someone provide a link to the CDI unit I need. I searched on eBay, but found too many to choose from.

Got fuel, got compression, got spark, air box is completely off. What am I missing, it's gotta be something simple I'm overlooking!

Old 04-17-2011, 03:34 PM   #37

Going back to the beginning, had your Lifan sat for long before you rode it? If so, perhaps you have a clogged jet(s). I'm not considering the CDI to be a prime suspect at this time, although it's possible.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #38

It sat from about October til last week, but I started it periodically. It never missed a beat.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #39

Now I can't remember; please save me from reviewing the entire thread. Have you drained out the old fuel and refilled with fresh stuff? Have you cleaned out the carb? Both items are easy and cheap.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Now I can't remember; please save me from reviewing the entire thread. Have you drained out the old fuel and refilled with fresh stuff? Have you cleaned out the carb? Both items are easy and cheap.
I have not drained out the old fuel, never thought of that. I have cleaned out the carb, however. It didn't really need it, though.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #41

once you rule out fuel you may check the compression. i have seen it to where low compression will let one start but dies after warming up. also wouldnt start with electricstart but would only kick start. the compression problem ended up being a bad valve. if not fuel probably cdi or stator.
hope this helps.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #42

If you haven't done so, I also encourage you to check your valve lash. Tight valves reduce compression, and make starting difficult. However, any compression problems you might have are not related to the weak spark problem you are reporting. :roll:

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-19-2011, 10:06 AM   #43

I will perform a valve adjustment tomorrow evening with my dad. He is far more mechanically inclined than I will ever be. Also, I have yet to perform a valve adjustment, Although I have been meaning to. Thanks for the incentive, the adjustment is far overdue.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:20 AM   #44

I hope that fixes it for you. Please post some photos of the procedure.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:57 AM   #45

Almost had the adjustment done when I accidentally dropped a rod into the engine. Gotta take the whole top end off now. Oh my, the learning process... :roll: