Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2015, 10:43 AM   #1

Rear suspension questions and concerns.. zong powered atv

Ok guys I am new here and just purchased a pretty well abused zong atv. It was a great price but the more I dig in the more issues and concerns I find... today I'm focusing in the rear suspension.. when I first looked at atv I thought the rear suspension was locked up in the compressed state.. no down travel and at first I couldn't get any movement out of it from pusing in it.. ( I'm 6'1" and 220lbs).. seller took both hands and really pushed on it and it did move.. but I can't imagine the spring rate as it was an almost instant rebound. Upon getting it home and inspection the rear suspension I noticed the shock was mounted to the bottom of the swing arm and the mount was ever so slightly appeared to be pulling away from swing arm.... my question is after looking at a lot of other atv I haven't seen another with the shock mount on the bottom of the swingarm... did who ever assemble mine put the swingarm upside down? I'm thinking that would raise the rear to be level with the front and possibly have better geometry to get better travel... the atv is in my buddies garage now so I don't have pics other than the classified pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00R0R_heuazzlH1CR_600x450.jpg (38.7 KB, 79 views)

Old 11-20-2015, 11:37 AM   #2

It sure looks low in the rear end to me.

Even if you manage to flip the swingarm and end up with better geometry, expect the rear shock to be a pogo stick. One option is used Yamaha Blaster shocks, which may require some tweaking of the mounts to install. Blaster stuff is usually cheap on eBay.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-20-2015, 12:35 PM   #3

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that... crappy pic but the bottom of the rear shock mounts on the bottom of the swing.. can barely see in pic... as it sits there is no droop when lifting the rear either... just lifts the tires off the ground....

Old 11-20-2015, 11:51 PM   #4

Give it a try, and please take lots of pics.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-21-2015, 12:40 PM   #5

shock mount

Hello... I know pics would help... but I think all shocks mount to the swingarm.. at the rear of it.. in between the gear and the rotor.. and to the top of the frame.. maybe yours is the wrong one... or seized.. how long is it.. maybe some one has this model and can check the length required

Old 11-21-2015, 12:43 PM   #6

shock

you should have something like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg USED 150 CC ATV (6).jpg (96.4 KB, 84 views)

Old 11-21-2015, 10:07 PM   #7

Going to try and flip the swing arm once weather improves. 18f here today... replaced carb and called it a day... need to take swingarm off regardless to reweld shock bracket so I'll try flipping it and see what happens when I reinstall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151121_214339.jpg (98.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 20151121_214329.jpg (95.8 KB, 83 views)

Old 11-21-2015, 10:12 PM   #8

Don't know why that last top pic flipped.. that is the top of the swingarm. . And yes I know it should mount to the swingarm... but below the swingarm is what I'm questioning.... that quad looks sweet...

Old 11-22-2015, 12:00 AM   #9

Wooboy that chain needs a complete 48hr soak in the appropriate lubricant. Then clean it and soak it again. LOL

/

Old 11-22-2015, 12:05 AM   #10

I tried to flip your photo for you. Hope this works.

/

Old 11-22-2015, 12:06 AM   #11

Like posted above I bet that shock is just seized up.

/

Old 11-22-2015, 03:19 PM   #12

Yeah the whole atv needs soaked.. lol.. previous owner had it sitting outside for what appears to be years... maybe I'm wrong but that small hole in the swingarm just behind the shock appears to be a drainage hole.... but on the top? One more thing to possibly point me towards the swingarm being upside down.. also have a pic of the top of the shock which to me looks like it's possibly bent from being at the wrong angle.. not a good pic... fluorescent lights in garage don't like to work well in 18f temps... hard to see in photo.. I'll try to get better pics when it warms back up later this week..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151121_214314.jpg (91.5 KB, 83 views)

Old 11-23-2015, 08:14 PM   #13

swingarm

take a look at my pic.. the shock is mounted low.. at the bottom of the swingarm... google to find your swingarm for sale on the net or ebay.. or some one who sells that brand.. and compare... it is probadly right... as you have it..

Old 11-24-2015, 06:22 AM   #14

Unfortunately I have no clue as to what brand this is...was hoping someone here would know..... but so far nothing..... I will take shock off first and see what state that's in. . Thanks for your info...

Old 11-25-2015, 07:08 AM   #15

Well after removal of the shock it is definitely bent. Still have yet to pull swingarm off but with the shock being bent I can see it limiting down travel but ride height shouldn't be effected..... time for a shock replacement...lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151124_214254.jpg (92.9 KB, 67 views)