Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2022, 12:57 PM   #1

Question Carb newbie - nibbi pe30 questions

Hi Everyone!

So I’ve scoured the forum. Tons of great stuff! I used forums to teach myself so much it isn’t even funny…

Haven been able to find a concise answer to the following RE initial jetting of the PE30… please give me your input.

I live in SE Florida… zero elevation… never gets cold…

Where should I start with the jetting? Whatever the consensus is here I am going to start with.

MODS are exhaust and I have the NIBBI pod filter.

Where should I start with the following at zero elevation:

MAIN JET -
PILOT JET -
NEEDLE POSITION -
AIR / FUEL KNOB -
IDLE KNOB -

You help is appreciated. Want to get the carb on tonight.

Thanks,
Jon

Old 05-09-2022, 01:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCalYen View Post
Hi Everyone!

So I’ve scoured the forum. Tons of great stuff! I used forums to teach myself so much it isn’t even funny…

Haven been able to find a concise answer to the following RE initial jetting of the PE30… please give me your input.

I live in SE Florida… zero elevation… never gets cold…

Where should I start with the jetting? Whatever the consensus is here I am going to start with.

MODS are exhaust and I have the NIBBI pod filter.

Where should I start with the following at zero elevation:

MAIN JET -
PILOT JET -
NEEDLE POSITION -
AIR / FUEL KNOB -
IDLE KNOB -

You help is appreciated. Want to get the carb on tonight.

Thanks,
Jon
Me in southern Louisiana at 15ft elevation, I started with my Nibbi PE30 on my Templar 250 with a 130mm main, 50 pilot, center (3rd click) needle position, and mixture screw 2 full turns out. That was actually my base set to start with, and after trying it out, I ran exceptionally with no issues. I don't have exhaust or airbox mods at all and am not too sure how much change modifications can induce on jetting, but it still worked amazingly for me. I am actually fairly new to it all myself and took in as much knowledge as I could from the forums and youtube videos. One main thing I did accumulate is that it's always better to start off more rich than lean, so a higher baseline is recommended.

Still new to it all myself so this is just my knowledge and experience on it, most of these guys on here definitely know more, but I felt like I should share! Hope you figure it out, brother.

Old 05-09-2022, 05:46 PM   #3

Thanks man… good to know. Appreciated….

Old 05-10-2022, 02:23 PM   #4

My own personal recommendation. Use a smaller carb unless you plan to go full cam, ported head, high compression, exhaust. Even then, the PE30 is a touch on the too big side. With a 70mm cylinder added it really starts to come into its own, but the PE28 as a whole is just a much better match to these engines.

Want proof of that. I have a PE28 with every mod named above and my jetting is actually smaller than the above persons with a PE30. I run a 38 pilot and a 135 main jet. He doesn't make more power than I do. His engine can't pull enough vacuum on the PE30 to draw sufficient fuel, so the jets all have to be bigger in size to compensate. This also makes the carburetor more sensitive to changes in altitude density, which means it will need to be adjusted more often to compensate for changes in climate and weather.

I ran a PE30 for a while, so I am very familiar with the benefits and shortcomings. I actually got so tired of the carbs tempermental nature that I swapped back to a PZ30 carburetor until I got my PE28FL. The PE28, out of all the carburetors I have tried, is the best one of the bunch in my opinion. This is out of VM26, PZ30B, VM30, PE30, PWK30 and PWK32. I literally have a small box filled with carburetors from all of my experimenting.

Want to know a fun truth. The PZ30 and VM26 clone are actually more than sufficient enough to support upwards of 20hp, which is more than most of these engines will ever make even with most of the upgrades.

Old 05-10-2022, 06:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
My own personal recommendation. Use a smaller carb unless you plan to go full cam, ported head, high compression, exhaust. Even then, the PE30 is a touch on the too big side. With a 70mm cylinder added it really starts to come into its own, but the PE28 as a whole is just a much better match to these engines.

Want proof of that. I have a PE28 with every mod named above and my jetting is actually smaller than the above persons with a PE30. I run a 38 pilot and a 135 main jet. He doesn't make more power than I do. His engine can't pull enough vacuum on the PE30 to draw sufficient fuel, so the jets all have to be bigger in size to compensate. This also makes the carburetor more sensitive to changes in altitude density, which means it will need to be adjusted more often to compensate for changes in climate and weather.

I ran a PE30 for a while, so I am very familiar with the benefits and shortcomings. I actually got so tired of the carbs tempermental nature that I swapped back to a PZ30 carburetor until I got my PE28FL. The PE28, out of all the carburetors I have tried, is the best one of the bunch in my opinion. This is out of VM26, PZ30B, VM30, PE30, PWK30 and PWK32. I literally have a small box filled with carburetors from all of my experimenting.

Want to know a fun truth. The PZ30 and VM26 clone are actually more than sufficient enough to support upwards of 20hp, which is more than most of these engines will ever make even with most of the upgrades.
What engines? The run o the mill Hawk 230cc?
Our Templars have a 72mm bore so I’m really curious to see some of y’all modding madmen get into it lol
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350 “Trigger”

Old 05-10-2022, 10:20 PM   #6

Quote:

Good to know… so I’m going to return the PE30 and order the PE28…

In warm zero elevation Florida where do you recommend I start with the jets, air/fuel, idle and neddle settings?

Old 05-12-2022, 12:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okierider View Post
What engines? The run o the mill Hawk 230cc?
Considering the guy who asked the question has a Hawk... I would think it would be obvious.

Old 05-12-2022, 07:10 PM   #8

Quote:

what inlet manifold do you use for the PE28? I ended up using a CRF230 for the PE30 I had for a while.
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 05-12-2022, 07:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_in_az View Post
what inlet manifold do you use for the PE28? I ended up using a CRF230 for the PE30 I had for a while.
Pe28FL is flanged the same as stock so I use the stock manifold

Old 05-14-2022, 03:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Pe28FL is flanged the same as stock so I use the stock manifold
And I bet being flanged like the OE carb, you don't have fitment issues with the angle or length of the manifold, causing the carb to be too close to the frame.

I'm thinking of moving the PE28 on my ZS190 over to my hawk, and putting a PWK28 onto the ZS190. The PE30 works, but damn is it moody with any change in air temp or humidity.

Interesting in selling your PWK28, Dan?

Old 05-14-2022, 03:34 PM   #11

Crying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard_Cain View Post
And I bet being flanged like the OE carb, you don't have fitment issues with the angle or length of the manifold, causing the carb to be too close to the frame.

I'm thinking of moving the PE28 on my ZS190 over to my hawk, and putting a PWK28 onto the ZS190. The PE30 works, but damn is it moody with any change in air temp or humidity.

Interesting in selling your PWK28, Dan?
Only real issue with the flanged one is the throttle cable and fuel tank are still wanting to be friends. Other than that it fits amazingly.

As for selling the carbs I have, nah, I like to hang on to things. You never know what other bad ideas I may have

Old 05-25-2022, 03:23 PM   #12

Hi guys…

Thanks for your help. I ended up using a 130/50 with the needle in the middle and it ran fin as far as I can tell.

Thanks for everyone’s input!

Old 05-27-2022, 03:45 PM   #13

A lot of this info can be found on tbr7.com/upgrades/fuel-system
including a chart with a good idea of where to start with your jetting depending on elevation, mods, and carb type.