Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-24-2024, 12:40 PM   #1

Front tire wore out very prematurely. What's the cause??

My KPX has 2,500 miles now, and my front tire has about had it, but my back is still very good. I don't usually gauge my tires before a ride, but I always check them and make sure they seem hard. My tires never leaked on the KPX, and every time I did gauge them the had about 32. A little while back, I purposely aired them down to 27, because I wanted to improve the ride on gravel, but one day, I went to my cousin's in South Parkersburg, about 40 miles away, and went RT 21 most of the way. The bike did find, but when I got there a guy was on the sidewalk, and I could tell he wasn't quite right, but I didn't think too much about it. After a couple hours I left, and the same guy was just sitting on a lawn mower that wasn't even running. I still didn't think anything about it, well I got probably about 8 miles from Ripley, and went through a really sharp low speed turn, and it felt really weird, but just in that curve. I stopped for gas in Ripley, and I noticed my front tire was almost flat looking. I pumped it up, and sped home expecting it to go flat quickly, well it's not gotten low since that, and that's been weeks ago. It was low when I got the bike, but never leaked down after. I have came to the conclusion that either the strange guy, let my air out, or maybe the valve core didn't seat properly, when I aired the tires down a little, but is seated now. The pattern of wear on the front is a lot like the rear knobby from the Hawk, each clear is shaped like a ramp, or a wedge. I adjusted my preload in the rear, but never did anything about front preload, and I wonder if that may be the cause. Any opinions?