Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2011, 09:51 PM   #1

Location: Wheeling, WV native currently living In Natchitoches, LA
Send a message via AIM to BrianW
No spark, other possibilities?

Today I took the Lifan for a ride. I only made it about 4 miles before it stalled and was acting like I was out of gas. I coasted down a hill to a nearby house and asked the people if they had any gas to ell. They had a 2 gallon can and the bike took both gallons. I kicked it over a few times with no luck and tried pop starting it down another nearby hill.
After that, I checked the spark plug and I was getting no spark. So I hitched a ride to a nearby auto parts store and got a new spark plug. After installation, I still have no spark.

Also, the fuse underneath my seat is removed but I have both of the end of the wire stuck together to bypass where the fuse should be. The store did not have a replacement fuse. I do not even know what this fuse is for.

Anyway, my question for you is, where should I start troubleshooting? Maybe the coil or something else?

Old 04-11-2011, 12:22 AM   #2

CDI is my guess.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-11-2011, 12:37 AM   #3

The fuse is the 'master' fuse. It runs everything.

With these CB's such failures are usually the CDI. Cheap and plentifull on eBay.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:56 AM   #4

I recommend that you get a replacement fuse in there right away. You should protect the circuit; if the fuse blew, it might have been for a reason.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-11-2011, 02:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I recommend that you get a replacement fuse in there right away. You should protect the circuit; if the fuse blew, it might have been for a reason.
X2; get a new fuse as soon as possible.

I also think you have a bad CDI unit, and I encourage you to buy a new one as quickly as you can. If the CDI unit fixes the problem, I suggest you get a second, spare, CDI unit as well. The spare CDI unit greatly facilitates the troubleshooting of electrical problems. In addition, if you CDI unit fails, you can plug in the spare, and go riding, instead of waiting for a new one to arrive.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-11-2011, 05:33 AM   #6

This is the same problem i am having at the moment. I was going to ask for advice. I also have weak spark and it won't start. Looking through different post i think as people have suggested here, it could be CDI unit that's the problem.

Well i am looking for one and will see if that will fix the problem.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:26 AM   #7

Alot of times a failed CDI will bulge out.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin
This is the same problem i am having at the moment. I was going to ask for advice. I also have weak spark and it won't start. Looking through different post i think as people have suggested here, it could be CDI unit that's the problem.

Well i am looking for one and will see if that will fix the problem.
Indeed, it does sound as if your CDI unit is suspect. I always encourage everyone to purchase a spare CDI unit. The spare CDI unit greatly facilitates electrical troubleshooting for your motorcycle. Also, when the CDI unit fails, you have a spare on hand, and you can go riding instead of waiting for one to arrive at your door.

If you have problems acquiring a Zongshen CDI unit, please let us know. We will try to help you acquire one. Also, the CDI unit for the Lifan, 150cc, pit bikes appears it might work for the Zong if you construct a new plug to change the wire inputs to the connectors.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...wtopic&t=11397

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #9

Location: Wheeling, WV native currently living In Natchitoches, LA
Send a message via AIM to BrianW
I forgot to mention that after putting fuel in the tank it still would not start. After sitting for about half an hour, however, it started up and I rode it about a mile before it died for good.

Checked the CDI, it did not have a bulge. I will try to locate a replacement at a local shop tomorrow.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #10

That's what it sounds like. They can bulge but the ones that have failed on my looked normal.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
I forgot to mention that after putting fuel in the tank it still would not start. After sitting for about half an hour, however, it started up and I rode it about a mile before it died for good.

Checked the CDI, it did not have a bulge. I will try to locate a replacement at a local shop tomorrow.
If a bulge is evident, it merely lends evidence to support the theory the CDI unit is bad. If the bulge is absent, it doesn't prove the CDI unit is good. The easiest, least expensive way to tell if the CDI unit is bad, is to replace it, and see if the problems disappear.

The Chinese CDI units are so inexpensive (and suspect), everyone should keep a spare handy. The CDI units for my Honda, XR650L are also known to fail; therefore, every XR650L owner is encouraged to get a spare CDI unit for this reason. :roll: However, the Honda, CDI units cost $110, and the Lifan CDI units cost $10. The Zongshen, CDI units cost about $30.

Brian, you bike exhibits the classic symptoms of a failing CDI unit. I suggest you don't ride you bike anywhere without a spare CDI unit, or you are likely to be waiting by the roadside for assistance.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-11-2011, 04:52 PM   #12

here are some ideas for alternative CDIs

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...wtopic&t=11075

Old 04-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Alaskan
here are some ideas for alternative CDIs

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...wtopic&t=11075
Thanks for the tip, WA. I have discovered my XR650L employs a DC, CDI unit, and the Honda, XR dirt bikes employ an AC, CDI unit. Therefore, I must bite the bullet, and get a spare, XR650L CDI unit. :roll:

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #14

Since the main subjects here is CDI's and I don't want to hijack this thread by no means, but can anyone tell me if the cdi's have been reliable on the Qlinks? Any links to alternative CDI's for the Qlinks? I'm thinking maybe I should have a Spare? Thoughts anyone? Thanks.
2009 Qlink XF200 Supermoto
1982 Honda CM200 Bobber - SOLD
2003 JEEP Liberty SPORT = 3" Lift
2002 Chevy Trailblazer LTZ - Family Cruiser

Old 04-11-2011, 05:46 PM   #15

I thonk I have th most Q experiance here. Between myself, Roger and Remi we have over 12,000 (or so) Q miles. No CDI issues but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

Speedo cables, one fork seal were the only things we ever had to fix.