Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2015, 02:24 PM   #1

Oh No V Raptor 250 - needs more power

Please can someone advise or help me with my V Raptor 250. I purchased the bike second hand with 700 miles on clock, starts, runs stops. But!!! it is as slow as a Kymco 125 I owned 2 years ago. It has a 223cc engine, but 55 mph and that it. I have changed the front sprocket and 57mph. Skyteam website states 75mph (unrestricted) - But why would you restrict a 223cc bike in the UK? I was not expecting 250 Ninja performance, but something that could maintain 60-65 in a dual carriageway, to stay away from the HGV's. Someone has recommended a Honda CBF 250 engine, but this is an expensive option. Other than the performance, all is good, sorted dodgy electrical connectors, stripped power coated frame and swing arm before it rusts. Love the look of the bike, just need the 223cc engine to give a little more. Any advice tuning tips or advice would be gratefully appreciated. Many Thanks

Old 08-27-2015, 02:31 PM   #2

There's something not right with your engine. Mine can easily get to 55mph and still has more to give. Keep in mind that's according to its own speedometer though!

Apparently first you'd have to go through the "standard" procedure - air filter, carburetor, spark plug, exhaust. Once all these are OK, you can start thinking about "modifications".

Old 08-27-2015, 02:44 PM   #3

yeah I'm thinking somethings wrong because my shinray supermoto with a cg200 will cruise at 60, and can pull a draft from a car to about 68mph....

wonder if the PO ever changed the oil? rings might be shot from running on shipping oil? I would start with a compression test on the engine.... then check the other stuff mentioned...

Old 08-28-2015, 12:03 AM   #4

Welcome!

You can even pick up a little power with a simple valve adjustment.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-01-2015, 10:30 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to thedoc62
i am starting to believe you have 2 choices when you own this bike (got my preowned one in July, aged 2 years, 4700 kms and maybe missing some regular manteinance procedures), given that you bought it cause you liked its appearance and substance
either you fall in love with it just the way it is and since it's not an expensive/top of the notch quality item...........you just do regular/basic manteinance procedures and enjoy it as it is
or.................you fall into the perverse and potentially endless spiral of tuning/modifying/pumping/customizing/personalizing/experimenting and accept all related issues and expenses
how are all owners in here gonna end up ?
LOL
i am still undecided about this
about the friend looking for more power, seems to me too his top speed is a bit too slow.........my raptor can go faster than that but it starts vibrating like a pneumatic hammer from wheels to handlebar
i'd consider (after a careful check of basic problems) new carb and cone air filter, new exhaust and maybe a new CDI box, together with different ration in front and rear chain sprockets
and if that's not enough yet..............feel free to work on big bore kits together with different cams
at that time, though, you might be as well considering already a different bike

Old 01-01-2016, 07:24 AM   #6

taking away all of the "anti-pollution" stuff and cutting away catalyzer from exhaust made a heck of a difference in handling and power...........bike got more reactive to revving and gained top speed too
yeah I do know it's not legal and regular as well..............but............who the heck cares.............and am not yet done with "tuning" !

Old 01-01-2016, 09:16 AM   #7

My V-Raptor is stock completely.

There are several reasons. The german TUEV Inspectors would not let it pass their inspections. That includes a measurement of the exhaust fumes. For any change they´d demand certificates for each and everything.....and then some more.

The Raptor is not my only Motorcycle... and it cruises well at 50mph (80Km/h)
Braking in is not done with, after 600mls (~1000Km )

With Raptor 1.0 there was a increase of Performance at about 9000 Km. Though that was not really substantial. But noticeable nevertheless.

Both Raptors (1.0/2.0) reach a bit more than 60mph or even 65 (100 to 105 Km/h) which is exactly what is stated in the registration documents.

However.... the little engine revs like mad, doing that. German federal roads have a speedlimit of 100Km/H (60mph) so cruising along with 50mph/80 Km/h is just fine.
On small and curvy backroads and on rural singlelanes it´s more than enough.

If i want to ride a faster Motorcycle...i ride one. No need to tune for higher topspeed.

German Autobahns which are fabled for having no Speedlimits at all (Partly a fairytale.. because most parts are limited) are a no-go for the V-Raptor. It is possible... but no fun at all...so i do not ride there.

Anyway i don´t ride them with any Motorcycle. (Boredom...your name is Autobahn !)

As the doc says....it´s up to you if you want to make your Raptor a project-bike. Keep us informed about progress and fails.
It will be interesting, that´s for shure.

Happy New Year

Panic Pete

Liberte Egalite Fraternite !

Last edited by Panic-Pete; 01-01-2016 at 05:30 PM.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:04 AM   #8

Choke settings?

On my TR250 with the same settings if the choke isn't off there's a limiter that stops it like a brick wall.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:32 AM   #9

choke

not sure what you mean by choke settings
when it's cold outside (and it really hasn't been like that yet on this crazy "tropical" european season) I use first step of choke when starting in the morning but after 5 seconds it starts coughing so I reduce chocke to its second step..............and take it off completely after the first minute of riding
i am obviously talking about my "modified" bike with cone air filter (no more airbox) and "decatalyzed" exhaust
hope I did not misunderstand your question