Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #1

regulators, wires, sprockets, and shocks

#1 I welded the front of some generic double a-arm 110cc quad to the back of a Kazuma Baby Falcon 110cc quad. I had to put the two motors I had together to make one. Now when I start the bike up the rectifier/regulator is burning up...plastic underside is melting and cracking.

There are no obvious shorts. Would this just be a bad R/R?

#2 There's a red wire in the battery compartment that if I hook it up to the posative terminal it burns up the stator...it's like runnign voltage straight through the coils.

What is this wire?

#3 I have a 36t 420 sprocket on this bike. It's geared too high, I think. I would like to find a 40t sprocket.

Where can I get one?

#4 The shocks all suck. No damping at all and the rear spring rate is way too low. No adjustability.

What are good options?

Old 04-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #2

Wow! 8O

Did you weld control arms to the rear to create independant rear suspension? If so, we're gonna need pics. How did you reconcile the axle?

Since you used parts from two different engines, are you using the complete matched system from one atv? If not, are you certain that the two CDI's are identical in every way? I'm wondering if one system uses an AC CDI and the other uses a DC CDI. That might explain the burning rectifier.

Not sure on the extra red wire; is there a remote start device on the ATV, or an alarm? If so, I'd lose 'em.

We'd need specs on the rear sprocket before we can guide you. Also, most of the shocks suck; please provide specs on those as well.

And lotsa pics!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #3

Not so interesting as that...the complexity would far exceed the practicality. Exceed it very, very far lol. I just welded the front of one to the back of another to make one standard chassis. I can understand how that wording is tricky but I can't think of another way to put it.

The stators looked identical...only the one in the motor originally was crispy (from that stupid wire). And they were both setup with 12v DC starters. The lights may have been run off something else, but that wouldn't make sense.

I don't know what specs to provide on the sprockets or shocks. The sprocket is 420 and I don't know the the bolt center....I can probably find it out, though.

The shocks are all 13" eye to eye.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #4

That makes much more sense. Thanks for clarifying your frame repair.

I'm specifically curious about the CDI, not the starter. CDI's are available as AC or DC, and I wonder if that's where your problem originates. It would be best to have the complete electrical system from one atv installed, rather than mixing the two systems. Are the CDI's identical in every way?

13" eye to eye is a good start; what is the bolt diameter for the shocks? I presume 10mm, but you never know. Do they have piggyback reservoirs? Could the frame accomodate piggyback reservoirs?

The bolt center, bolt diameter and number of mounting holes all help. If a suitable rear sprocket can't be found, we could certainly point you to an alternate front sprocket, but we'd need those specs as well.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-28-2011, 05:44 PM   #5

One bike didn't come with any wiring, but they did have the same stator...everything else is from the same bike. Only the stator swapped over.

All the bolt holes are 10mm and the fronts are piggyback, and the rear could accomidate one.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:02 AM   #6

These look like decent boingers: http://cgi.ebay.ca/1970S-HONDA-CT70-...item5643c72635 You'd have to contact the seller to find out what the eye diameter is; he clearly doesn't know what he's selling.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:07 AM   #7

It would appear that 12mm eyes are more common, just from the bit of eBay perusing I did. Perhaps you'd care to drill out the mounting holes.

Still puzzled about your rectifier issue. Have you tried more than one rectifier?

Old 04-29-2011, 12:25 AM   #8

I don't know if I could bring myself to do such a dramatic alteration as drilling out the shock mounting tabs haha.

A Katana 750 shock bolts in the back and has 12mm eyes...so I guess that's what they're set up for. I thought they were 10 but they are not.

I haven't tried another R/R. I only had the one. I've been thinking about trying to wiring in a heavier R/R from one of my GS750's, but I haven't dug deep enough to find out the differences yet.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:56 AM   #9

That's pretty slick! The long wheelbase looks great. 8) I really like the steel checkerplate; I have some around my shop, and I might do the same thing in the future.

I wonder if part of the wiring harness is contacting the frame. That might account for the rectifier and red wire trouble. Do you have a primary fuse? is the second red wire fused?

Old 04-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #10

When I get a chance I'll tear the wiring harness apart and see. There's got to be a short. I just saw a label on the new wiring stubs that says this system is 12v, too...so it should all be the same.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:23 AM   #11

And I need to get a new pic or two up...I've got more of the body work on and some wires wrapped up and I've gotten rid of the left hand controls. Also got her complete with electrical tape hand grips!

Old 04-29-2011, 10:49 AM   #12

A couple of really crappy videos of us just making sure the frame won't break apart at the slightest hit.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #13

You may want to check the wiring coming from the engine, it sounds like there are wires crossed for the harness plug. This can cause the reg./rec. to burn up.
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 04-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #14

Pulled the ignition apart. The red wire goes from the battery area to the regulator/rectifier and the ignition switch.

If I plug in the R/R, it shorts out the stator and things get real hot real fast.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:46 AM   #15

WOW
And to think I thought my china-blaster was an involved project, it hasnt got anything on this.

Take the time to check the wiring to make sure its all correct and I think you'll get it figured out then.
Just because its all made in china doesnt mean it's "plug & play".(I found that out the hard way)

Even though I had used all china atv/bike parts I still had to do major mods to the wiring harness for it all to work.I even had to switch wires around in the stator plugs to match up to the wire harness.Having a modified wiring diagram helped a lot and the use of a meter and time is all it takes.