Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2022, 11:12 AM   #1

HELP PLEASE! Xpect start button blows fuse

My 2020 Lifan X-Pect keeps blowing a fuse when I try to use the start button. I can kick start and it runs fine . I can also jump the relay terminals and the starter works fine, however the starter button blows the fuse, one of two under the seat (second one in from the edge of the fuse box). I have read about wiring issues at the neck of the bike and I did observe a slight rubbing on a wire, so I taped it as there was no copper showing, just the wire coating. It all started when I applied dielectric grease to some connections in an attempt to protect from moisture. Could it have blown the IAT sensor? I do get the IAT error flash on the MIL? IDK I'm glad it has a kick start. Thanks for any help guys, love this forum.

Old 03-27-2022, 11:30 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by K W View Post
My 2020 Lifan X-Pect keeps blowing a fuse when I try to use the start button. I can kick start and it runs fine . I can also jump the relay terminals and the starter works fine, however the starter button blows the fuse, one of two under the seat (second one in from the edge of the fuse box). I have read about wiring issues at the neck of the bike and I did observe a slight rubbing on a wire, so I taped it as there was no copper showing, just the wire coating. It all started when I applied dielectric grease to some connections in an attempt to protect from moisture. Could it have blown the IAT sensor? I do get the IAT error flash on the MIL? IDK I'm glad it has a kick start. Thanks for any help guys, love this forum.
Even if it didn't have a kickstart, you could push start it, esp. if you have a hill to coast down.

I'm thinking you shorted out a hot and a ground when you applied the grease. Go back in there and clean it all off, and look for any place, such as solder points, where the grease bridges two points.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 03-27-2022, 01:05 PM   #3

There is a 4 way plug from the start switch and kill switch that will be routed through the headlamp area and the control wire for the start relay goes from there to a 2 way plug near the starting relay which must be close to the starter. The other side of the relay goes to ground through the clutch switch so you will need to trace out that wire from the plugs, The color of the conductor seems to be marked IY/R

Old 03-27-2022, 01:35 PM   #4

Ok thanks guys, I'll get to checking I suspect it may be a connector by the starter relay. That is where I applied dielectric grease. I have cleaned the grease out of the connector. If it did short there, could it prevent starting even after cleaning? It still blows the fuse and I do get the IAT fault. If I disconnect that connector by the relay, the start button does nothing and of course doesn't blow the fuse. Could I have compromised the relay which has the IAT sensor attached with two wires? I don't understand why the IAT sensor is on the start relay but it is.

Old 03-27-2022, 02:11 PM   #5

As someone who has been through the wiring issues with the xpect, i’m going to second the other two posts above.

When you think about it, it can only be in the wiring that they are talking about. If you can jump the relay and it works, no blown fuse, then somethings blowing the fuse in the circuit that engages the relay. Follow those wires. Look for shorts from rubbing, but also look for any short that you might have caused by leaving a wiring boot open or something like that.

Old 03-27-2022, 02:40 PM   #6

If the fuse does not blow when you disconnect the plug at the starter relay when you push the start button then the fault lies between the other side of the plug to the starter relay or perhaps even the starter relay itself. If you have jump started from the relay terminal to the starter you are bypassing the relay coil which could be the problem. Check the wiring between the plug to the relay and if that is OK probably the relay coil is bad.

Old 03-27-2022, 03:28 PM   #7

Ok thanks, I do suspect it is the relay, however I have tried numerous relays from Amazon and none work or it does the same thing so that leads me back to the wiring, so I am going in circles. I need to check for a short to ground from the wiring. Does that sound right?

Old 03-27-2022, 04:44 PM   #8

If you unplug the 2 way plug to the relay and the fuse does not blow when you push the starter then check the wiring from the plug to the relay. If you have tried another relay and the fuse blows that is strange cause the other side of the coil is ground. so either you have a problem with the wire to the relay or the relay itself. Now you said with the 2 way plug unplugged the fuse never blew yet when you try another relay the fuse blows which means that the fault lies between the 2 way plug and the relay. You could have an intermittent fault between the starter button and the 2 way plug so perhaps you should unplug the 2 way plug turn the key on and then move the handle bars back and forth and then see if the fuse blows after moving the harness back and forth for a while and if the fuse is still OK check between the 2 way plug and the relay.

Old 03-27-2022, 06:01 PM   #9

I'd say the starter solenoid/relay is faulty. unplug it and see if the fuse blows when pressing the button again.

Old 03-27-2022, 07:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by K W View Post
It all started when I applied dielectric grease to some connections in an attempt to protect from moisture. Could it have blown the IAT sensor?
Dielectric grease is an insulator and does not conduct electricity. It only "insulates the connection you have and prevents it from being corroded."

Old 03-27-2022, 07:26 PM   #11

What sort of start relay from Amazon did you get, check it to see if one of the coil connections is grounded. If that is the case if the coil connections are reversed it would blow a fuse. All indications are that the relay coil has shorted turns.

Old 03-29-2022, 10:58 AM   #12

Temporary delay guys, sorry. I have tried several relays from Amazon I believe all Honda compatible, the dealership I purchased from Powersportsmaxcom, wants $27.99 for a relay for the 163 fml2 or the engine in the Xpect. That is the Lifan engine # I believe, Xpect having EFI. Anyway, they don't accept returns as I get with Amazon prime unlimited returns.

Old 03-29-2022, 11:04 AM   #13

P. S. I thought dielectric grease was an insulator, but even the parts guy from American Lifan said it would conduct electricity. So that made me second guess myself.

Old 03-29-2022, 11:58 AM   #14

Dielectric means insulator so I am sure that is not the problem. If the fuse does not blow when the 2 way plug to the start relay is unplugged and the start button is pushed the problem lies with the relay. Put a multimeter on the Ohm scale and try to measure the value of the relay coil which I should guess to be higher than 15 ohms, below 0.8 ohms will blow the 15 amp fuse. Insulation does not conduct electricity. Now if you used a graphite grease you would probably conduct electricity.

Old 03-29-2022, 02:19 PM   #15

I have just checked out my X-pect, and the resistance of the starter solonoid is 3.5 ohms. I also see 2 of the same 2 way plugs beneath the saddle are you sure you did not get them mixed up when you filled them with grease or perhaps caused the 2 male pins to get bent and when you push them together they short circuit

Tags
fuse, iat, starter circuit relay, xpect