Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2009, 03:18 PM   #1

What's a good ATV for kids

After the blast I've had with my V4sw and the constant nagging from my kids for rides I think I'm going to get one for them. But I'm a total noob in this area heh. I have a 14yr daughter, 11 yr old son and a 4yr old who runs around with a dirt bike helmet on his head all day lol.

In any event I am confused about what size/brand to get them. I like the vbikes, but I don't know if 110cc is a little much for their age group, or if a 50cc is going to be too small. Anyone have kids that ride want to help me get a clue?

Old 04-15-2009, 03:50 PM   #2

Re: What's a good ATV for kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danthalis
In any event I am confused about what size/brand to get them. I like the vbikes, but I don't know if 110cc is a little much for their age group, or if a 50cc is going to be too small. Anyone have kids that ride want to help me get a clue?
Hehe...yeah, there's nothing out there that would work for a 4 year-old AND a 14 year-old.

Anything from a 110 to a 250 should be good for the 11 year-old (I'd be inclined to go with the biggest bike he can physically handle- that way he won't outgrow it or get bored with it).

I'd think a 250 would be the choice for the 14 year-old as long as she doesn't mind shifting gears. If not, then a 150 automatic.

I'd be hesitant to give the 4 year-old anything bigger than a 50. Personally, I wouldn't give a 4 year-old a motorized vehicle if it were my kid- as I think they should get their feet wet on tricycles and bicycles first...and once they have proven responsibility with them, then maybe on to ATVs-(and learning to respect the laws of physics on a bicycle is something that will serve him a lifetime) but, also, it just seems to me that if a kid has something like this at such a young age, it kind of spoils them, and makes it easy for them to get to the point where they have nothing to look forward to in the future- kind of like giving a 16 year-old a brand new car. It just becomes harder and harder to top what you already have. [Just my personal belief- I don't think that anyone would be a bad parent or anything for giving their 4 year-old an ATV...I know it's hard to contain your enthusiasm, and it's natural to want your kids to have the things ythat you enjoy so much, too...)

On the other hand....you don't want him to be like me...not getting my first ATV till I was 46!

Whatever you do...it sounds like your kids will be having a lot of fun with daddy!

Old 04-16-2009, 03:05 PM   #3

You're right, maybe my desire to see my son a motocross star is outweighing my since of reason. I'll stick the 4yr old in a bigwheel for now lol. He'll love it just the same.

I will look into a 110 on your suggestion (my v4sw threw my daughter around like a rag doll the one time I let her move it out of the garage, so I know 250 is out of the question right now)

Thanks for talking some sense into me! lol

Old 04-16-2009, 04:07 PM   #4

Alot of the 110's have speed governors, and remote kill switches for added safety purposes. I have been eyeing these sold through Pitster Pro.

http://shop.pitsterpro.com/asunatv.aspx

I figure that if any company has a reputation to uphold, it would be Pitster--that, and they're only $500 shipped....

Old 04-16-2009, 04:20 PM   #5

I used to drool with envy over my friend's mini-bike with a lawnmower engine in the 70's when I was a kid. Now ya can get these real bikes for less than what the putt-putts cost in the 70's!

Old 04-17-2009, 11:24 AM   #6

The 4yr old can get an electric recharge ATV. My son rode his Kawasaki electric ATV from 3yrs-6yrs old pretty regular. The ones they sell these days look even better then the one my boy had.. Pic below is the Walmart one that sells for $199

2005 TANK Trail 200
2009 Lifan LY110GY-3 (2)

Old 04-17-2009, 12:36 PM   #7

Now that's a good idea, Mrhyak!

Old 04-17-2009, 08:15 PM   #8

150CC MIDSIZE AUTO...adjustable throttle for littler one...youngest will have to ride with dad...14 yr will have fun and the machines are big enough that the wife/buddy can ride it when kids aren't.
'08 Yongjiang 150cc atv (Jinlong)

Old 04-17-2009, 08:47 PM   #9

my son is big for his age , since i still dont know how to post well yet, when he was 4 on a 70 ok maybe i cant cut and paste hopefully you can :oops: http//:http://www.hallsauto.com/get_your_ca...for_summer.htm
jet-moto sells them they have a remote kill and throttle stop and the quality is well enough that the kid outgrows it before it causes many headaches on just about any brand
http://www.hallsauto.com/get_your_ca...for_summer.htm
now i have a link
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 04-18-2009, 03:55 AM   #10

I wouldn't recommend the one Capone has got. Have you read the thread titled "atvs"?.
Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
Yamaha Virago XV1100
Triumph Bonneville SE
Qingqi QM110GY
PGO Bug rider 250 Buggy

Old 04-18-2009, 11:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by forchetto
I wouldn't recommend the one Capone has got. Have you read the thread titled "atvs"?.
LOL!!!!

(((I think Capone is modifying the truth more than he wants to modify his ATV....)))

Old 05-07-2009, 03:05 AM   #12

I just ordered a Gio 110cc for my 7 year old daughter. It has a speed gov down to 5km for her to get used to, and the 110 will perhaps allow me or the wife a little fun when she's not on it. I haven't received it yet so I'll let you know how she fares with it.

My other daughter is 5 (almost 6) and I know she will be jealous and want to ride too like her big sis, so I'm considering a 50cc for her but do want to see how things work out. Perhaps they can share but God help me deal with the fights!!

As for older kids, I don't know. Being a worry wart dad I'd be concerned with anything with some power until they got used to it only because teens have no fear. You know your kids better than anyone else though!

Old 05-07-2009, 10:16 PM   #13

70 cc for my 2-3 yr old

i have been looking also at the 50cc atv's for my son . me and my wife have decided to get him a 70 cc set on a 50 frame . it has the remote kill/start . the tether kill switch as a walk behind and can be slowed to 2 mph . it also doesnt cost much more than a 12v powerwheels and he can have fun on it all day instead of ride for 30 minutes then charge for 2 - 4 hours and it will last him alot longer than just a year before he outgrows it . also he is 2 and in 4t clothes over 40 lbs and we live out in the country so alot of land for him to practice on