Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2018, 08:12 PM   #16

6MM? I'm surprised, neither of my bikes were that small. I wouldn't have thought that the bolts or holes would be different but I guess that would be worth checking too, since if the bolt is too small, it'd cause all sorts of crazy vibration - which would likely cause the problem you're facing too. But I would imagine that after messing with the bolts that you'd have seen if there was extra room?

Keep us posted, that's really interesting to me.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by siikmonkee View Post
6MM? I'm surprised, neither of my bikes were that small. I wouldn't have thought that the bolts or holes would be different but I guess that would be worth checking too, since if the bolt is too small, it'd cause all sorts of crazy vibration - which would likely cause the problem you're facing too. But I would imagine that after messing with the bolts that you'd have seen if there was extra room?

Keep us posted, that's really interesting to me.
Nope, I am a dummy, they are 8mm. Still doesn't explain why replacing the bolt solves the loosening. I just tightened both engine bolts again while trying to install rearsets. It's a shame that these come loose so much.

The rearsets would be so rad if the swingarm bolt wasn't too long. I'm trying to track down the length of a grom swingarm bolt. Maybe I'll order one since they're cheap. Here's a pic of how much too long the stock bolt is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180616_124924.jpg (86.8 KB, 370 views)

Old 06-16-2018, 07:27 PM   #18

Oh, I forgot that I swapped my bars and mounts for 1 1/8 fat bars. They are a lot better than stock and give me just the right amount of weight on the front tire. The stock bars were comfortable but the front tire pushed when cornering hard. Forgive the mess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180613_172545.jpg (96.4 KB, 368 views)
File Type: jpg 20180613_172551.jpg (98.1 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg 20180613_172602.jpg (92.5 KB, 356 views)

Old 06-18-2018, 03:45 PM   #19

EBC makes Big Brake Kit
https://ebcbrakes.com/ebc_brakes_pro...ed-by-over-30/

Old 06-18-2018, 03:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganlexow View Post
So I bought a Vader. I like a challenge, the underdog. But I have a lot of questions lol. I'm looking at the grom ohlins fork internals. Does anyone know how close the Vader forks are to the grom forks? What about brake pads? Can I run grom EBC pads?

I haven't smiled from a motorcycle so much since my Daytona 675 race bike. Here is the Vader as it sits waiting for rearsets and a new brake disc.
Ohlins kit is available on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/OHLINS-FORK-H.../dp/B00TADJTD2

Old 06-20-2018, 03:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldoj2 View Post
this is my bike, every parts you see is from a grom,wheels,exhaust, swig arm disc,handle bar,rear fender, rearlowering kit, every thing from a grom fits
What exhaust is that? I like how low it sits... may need to swap my exhaust over to that and sell my current one.

Old 06-24-2018, 08:16 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
I did think about the oversized rotor but my intention is to get better brakes. The EBC can only be used with the stock caliper.
I'm currently prepping my big ktm for a trip so buying the ohlins isn't up on the list..... yet. The ohlins will be mine.

I did buy DROW chain adjusters, one for me, one for the wife, but they don't fit. I'm kinda upset by this. I mean they're a pubic hair away from fitting

Old 06-26-2018, 12:41 PM   #23

Honda Grom Aodonly Racing Low Mount Exhaust Honda MSX125 SF 2013 to 2017 (T1)

Old 06-30-2018, 05:15 PM   #24

maldoj i really like the seat on your bike, the whole bike looks really well done . Mind telling us where you got it and what it is? ( the seat )

Old 04-03-2019, 05:05 PM   #25

So, I thought this thread died last year because I never got notifications of posts. I happened to be clearing my spam folder and found a notification in there of another post I made. GRRRRRRR!

So, I had a problem with my gas tank. The tack welds that hold the fuel level unit in broke off releasing pressure on the o-ring, puking fuel all over my rear tire while on the freeway. Talk about a pucker moment when trying to stop! Fortunately the only damage when I crashed was a bent brake lever and some scratches on my rearsets.
So, I took the opportunity to order a cheap radial master cylinder, braided brake line, Michelin Power Pure tires. I almost ordered a nice brake caliper/adapter but couldn't remember if the Grom and my Not-Grom have the same brake caliper mount spacing, so I held off for now.
I plan to get a shock still, something with a piggyback that's rebuildable, and to pull the forks apart and see what I am working with on the inside. It sounds like the Ohlins internals wont fit inside our forks, but the preload caps will work. That's a win for me.
Once all the parts get here and fitted I will post pics. Oh, I forgot that I ordered DROW chain adjusters but they didn't fit. I am looking for a machinist to mill only a few mm's from the aluminum, then they should slide right in the swingarm.
Has anyone taken their Vader to the kart track yet?

Old 04-03-2019, 05:39 PM   #26

The stock 125cc vibrates a LOT. That could be why the bolts loosen up. Blue loctite. :P

As for go kart track... check TXMGP. They race on gokart tracks with groms and pit bikes and such. And it's a whole GP series.

http://texasminigp.com/

If you search it on youtube, tons of go pro videos and such.

Old 04-03-2019, 05:43 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlfpck View Post
The stock 125cc vibrates a LOT. That could be why the bolts loosen up. Blue loctite. :P

As for go kart track... check TXMGP. They race on gokart tracks with groms and pit bikes and such. And it's a whole GP series.

http://texasminigp.com/

If you search it on youtube, tons of go pro videos and such.
Yeah, I have had a LOT of problems with vibration. Anything that came loose or removed has gotten a dab of loctite.
I live in Seattle and have been thinking of trying to race in the Cascadia Supermoto mini series. I really wish I lived in a place with a better mini environment but oh well lol.

Old 04-03-2019, 05:46 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganlexow View Post
Yeah, I have had a LOT of problems with vibration. Anything that came loose or removed has gotten a dab of loctite.
I live in Seattle and have been thinking of trying to race in the Cascadia Supermoto mini series. I really wish I lived in a place with a better mini environment but oh well lol.
I'd do it... but for me, it's the time commitment. I have yet to actually do my engine swap. I have yet to install a BUNCH of parts I've bought. Like had these for 6-12 months in the garage and haven't had a chance to do it.

Then I believe as part of the mini gp rules... every major component bolt has to be wired? Lots of rules that are there for safety, which I get.

Lots to do and very little time. :(

Old 04-03-2019, 05:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlfpck View Post
I'd do it... but for me, it's the time commitment. I have yet to actually do my engine swap. I have yet to install a BUNCH of parts I've bought. Like had these for 6-12 months in the garage and haven't had a chance to do it.

Then I believe as part of the mini gp rules... every major component bolt has to be wired? Lots of rules that are there for safety, which I get.

Lots to do and very little time. :(
LOL!!! I'm not the only lazy one then? I let this little guy sit over the winter. The only reason I touched it was because I finally pulled it out of the garage to ride to work and had the fuel leak.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:39 PM   #30

Clone motor mount bolts are 8mm, Groms are 10mm. There is no 6mm bolt.
Protaper se x110 bars/grips
1/4 MotionPro throttle
Kepspeed Braced swingarm
Chimera rear hub assy
Grom Intergrated tail light
Superlite Sprockets 17/32
custom made from Japan
Chimera Swing Arm Bolt
RK MXZ Chain #420
All Balls wheel bearings
Motodynamic fender eliminator
Coremoto ss brake lines