Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2023, 08:08 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
this is a good point. I noticed it when I was doing the tire.

I don’t know if you are talking about the same thing I used to, but I just put the beads where the spokes are on one side. right in the middle of the rim. On the narrowest part.

That let me pull the other side up and over the outer edges of the rim.

Wasn’t really easy, but I didn’t even use tire juice.
Yeah, even with the bead in the center channel, it isn't always easy to get that last bit of lip up and over. That goes back to leaving the tire in the sun for a while. Warm tire = pliable tire.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 02-27-2023, 08:50 AM   #32

Getting the Tusk DSprot rear tire mounted was tough. It is a stiff tire!

You really have to get the first part of the tire in the recess on the rim strip to have enough flex "on the other side" where you are plying it with the spoon.

In post number 21, I made that BOLD text. I called it getting the "bead in the trough" of the wheel on the rim strip, not up on the side. I also called it "in the trough" and "in the groove".

It takes patience and you have to keep working it to get it to stretch and pull into the groove to make it find the shortest path around the tire while you pry.

And as I mentioned, the stem needs to be 90 degrees from where you are working when you get near the end.

It is tempting to use something to make it slippery, but not actually necessary. I like to keep it dry to prevent rim slippage when braking or under power. They call them "clinchers" for a reason! Bicycle mechanics know what I mean! The rim lock helps prevent slippage, but I am kind of a purest about that. I have never needed to resort to using any lube. Yah I know, it can be really hard. It just takes patience and working it to get it there.

Old 02-28-2023, 06:21 PM   #33

So I just noticed one of my new tires says "tubeless", and the other one says "tube type". Please tell me you can run inner tubes in "tubeless" tires... Or do I have the wrong type?

Old 02-28-2023, 06:35 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopsweat View Post
So I just noticed one of my new tires says "tubeless", and the other one says "tube type". Please tell me you can run inner tubes in "tubeless" tires... Or do I have the wrong type?
You can run tubes in a tubeless type tire. The only difference is that tube type tires have smoother inner walls so they will create less friction on the tube. They will still last the life of the tire without issue, for many thousands of miles. The only real difference is that I never recommend re-using tubes when used in a tubeless tire. I don't really recommend it in tube type either, but it does happen frequently.

Last edited by Megadan; 03-01-2023 at 09:59 AM.

Old 03-01-2023, 09:04 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
You can run tubes in a tube type tire. The only difference is that tube type tires have smoother inner walls so they will create less friction on the tube. They will still last the life of the tire without issue, for many thousands of miles. The only real difference is that I never recommend re-using tubes when used in a tubeless tire. I don't really recommend it in tube type either, but it does happen frequently.

Is the first sentence meant to be "you can run tubes in a tubeless tire"? Sounds like it from context, and that would make sense. Good to know, I have new tubes I was going to use in these and keep my old ones from the oem as a spare until I get a couple better ones.

Old 03-01-2023, 09:58 AM   #36

Crying

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopsweat View Post
Is the first sentence meant to be "you can run tubes in a tubeless tire"? Sounds like it from context, and that would make sense. Good to know, I have new tubes I was going to use in these and keep my old ones from the oem as a spare until I get a couple better ones.
Yes, it was. I am laid out and kinda sick, so my brain makes stupid mistakes lol. Thanks for catching it.

Old 03-03-2023, 04:01 PM   #37

So my car mechanic that rides KTM's in the dirt said he'd be happy to do it! I'll just bring him the rims with the old tires anyway, and would think he can do it for an hour's labor. And he said I can hang around to watch, I know he'll have much easier equipment to do it than I would in the field, but at least I'll have a much better concept than simply watching videos.

Old 03-05-2023, 05:20 PM   #38

pull the wheels & let the shop replace tubes / tires --> 30 mins & semi gaurenteed not to be frustrating - just remember how brake calipers & rear alignment & bearings

Old 03-24-2023, 09:50 AM   #39

I think I'm gonna give it a go myself, with some help from a friend. I've watched SO many videos now, and suddenly everything just sort of clicked and it doesn't seem like such a daunting task now. I'll try and take some pics as I go along to share my frustrations with anyone else whom has not done this yet.

Old 03-24-2023, 09:54 AM   #40

Changing tires are easy. You just have to be careful not to pinch the tube with the tire irons.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-29-2023, 10:06 AM   #41

Do I need a valve stem removal tool when I do this? Seems like most people use them, but I'm not sure why. Then I start reading that "you must replace the valve stem if you replace tires", and not sure if I'm getting accurate information. I know they're all cheap stuff I can pick up at an auto parts store, just wondering if or how necessary that is.

Old 03-29-2023, 10:26 AM   #42

Valve core removal makes removing all of the air easy, but you don't need it. The valve stem is part of the tube, so in this instance it doesn't matter.

Old 04-03-2023, 08:01 AM   #43

Well, I did it. The rear was significantly easier, as I had already learned from fighting with the front one. Small bites was the key. My body is insanely sore today, and have decided tire changes are not in my future. But I did learn how to swap a tube in the event of a puncture, which was my main goal of doing this myself.

However, I have a weird issue with my front tire that needs to be fixed. It looks like the something went weird with the tube inside, and that the tire isn't fully seated on the bead. You can see from the "lip" on the tire I'm pointing is closer to the rim on one side than the other. My rear tire went on perfectly centered. I tried letting all the air out, readjusting, and refilling, twice, but still the same. Another forum mentioned baby powder, and there is a chance I may have not put enough inside, so the tube might be bound up somewhere and won't slide around easily enough to adjust itself. When I let the air out, I can't slide the tire around at ALL, whereas I was able to easily for the rear tire (and I for sure used more powder in that one). Also, how much psi should this take to seat it?

Old 04-03-2023, 08:10 AM   #44

I'm home after today if you need another set of eyes. A teeny bit is acceptable but that looks more than teeny.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 04-03-2023, 08:38 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
I'm home after today if you need another set of eyes. A teeny bit is acceptable but that looks more than teeny.
Oh man do I appreciate that, but I'm not sure I'll be able to work that out this week. I think I'm going to try deflating it again, pull the tube fully out, make sure the inside is dry (I may have gotten enough soapy water inside to soak up the powder from the first run), re-powdering, and re-installing.

And one thing I didn't think of, that I don't see many doing in videos, how important is re-balancing these types of tires?

Last edited by flopsweat; 04-03-2023 at 09:12 AM.