PDA

View Full Version : OEM Brake Pad replacement???

Riceburner
07-11-2015, 09:36 AM
New to being a member but learned a lot here prior, thanks to Spud and many others, thanks for all the great info. I'll post my tire changes shortly, give me a day or two but I'm just not happy with the OEM brake pads. I live where it rains 77 inches a year and even dry they are not great, get them wet and your in for a llooonnnngggg stop. I'd think EBC or someone has brake pads that are direct replacement for the Zongshen RX3 or in my case Z250R, after using them (EBC) for 20 years or so on my BMW's and KLR650 (in the USA) I liked them, must be a good alternative out there. Please let me know.

I live in Iloilo City, Panay Island, Philippines and took deliver of mine June 24, only have about 600 Km on it, mainly do to it running so bad (carb), hope to get that resolved Monday or Tuesday (13 kilometer per liter, aprox. 3.43 mpg), heck a Bradly Fighting Machine does better than that. I know of one other Z250R here on Island but don't get to chat with him.

I look forward to sharing more with all of you up the road, the good's and the should be re-engineered aspects.

:thanks:

Riceburner (Robin), Panay Island

rjmorel
07-11-2015, 12:57 PM
Welcome to the forums RiceBurner,
I used to file or grind diagonal grooves on my motocross racers drum brake pads to give the water a channel to exit away from the brakes. The RX3 has grooves on the pads but they are 90 degrees to the rotor. Don't know if adding diagonal grooves would help get the water away faster from the rotor with your abundance of rain, rj

SpudRider
07-11-2015, 01:26 PM
Welcome; we are glad you joined us. :hi:

I suspect the Zongshen RX3 does employ the brake pads used by another motorcycle, and you can get those brake pads from EBC. However, I don't know what EBC brake pads to order. :shrug:

You might make a telephone call, or send an email to CSC in Azusa, California. Perhaps they can tell you which EBC brake pads might fit. Otherwise, you can check the EBC online catalog, and see if you can find a match. ;) Click on the link below, and compare the brake pads, starting on page #210.

http://ebcbrakes.com/Assets/ecatalogues/2014-US-MC-Catalog/2014-us-mc-catalog.html#p=210

SpudRider
07-11-2015, 01:43 PM
Looking at the catalog, if appears EBC FA185 might fit the front brake caliper. Vesrah VD-161 is the same brake pad. :shrug:

http://catalog.vesrah.co.jp/catalog/shape/vd-161.gif

SpudRider
07-11-2015, 09:36 PM
Another possibility is EBC FA125, which is the same as Vesrah VD-139. ;)

http://catalog.vesrah.co.jp/catalog/shape/vd-139.gif

Riceburner
07-12-2015, 01:32 AM
Thanks for the info Spud, I'll also check that out.

By the way, I always loved riding Idaho back-country, beautiful country and you have some BIG Moose up there, never met one personally nor an Elk for that matter but seeing them up close on the side of the roads was always "Cool Beans"...

Riceburner

SpudRider
07-12-2015, 01:50 AM
You're welcome. :)

Incidentally, both of those brake pads are designed for Honda motorcycles.

EBC FA185
Vesrah VD-161

These front brake pads fit many Honda CRF, and newer XR motorcycles.

EBC FA125
Vesrah VD-139

These front brake pads fit several Honda CR, and older XR motorcycles.

Riceburner
07-12-2015, 05:02 AM
Although I used EBC by brand name, mainly because I've used them before and familiar but if there is another quality pad available I'd consider that too.

Riceburner

SpudRider
07-12-2015, 04:17 PM
The RX3 motorcycles imported to the United States by CSC have the latest, rear brake caliper. The U.S. bikes use the EBC FA496 brake pads employed by the following Japanese motorcycles.

Honda CBR250R

Suzuki GW250, SFV 650

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51B7Qw2gu4L.jpg

The EBC FA496HH brake pads are made with sintered metal.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81oXOmKwvzL._SL1500_.jpg

Riceburner
07-14-2015, 02:08 AM
Spud, your way too fast with the answers and help, much appreciated, thanks.

I'll send a note CSC also and ask what they may know about brake up grades.

Being here in Iloilo City this stuff isn't available, I'll have to order them from the US and have shipped to me so I need to be sure I'm getting the correct parts, returning stuff from here just isn't piratical and I have a few parts (for a different bike) on the shelf collecting dust.

Riceburner

detours
07-14-2015, 07:25 PM
The RX3 motorcycle imported to the United States by CSC has the latest, rear brake caliper. The U.S. bikes use the EBC FA496 brake pads employed by the following Japanese motorcycles.

Honda CBR250R

Suzuki GW250, SFV 650

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51B7Qw2gu4L.jpg

The EBC FA496HH brake pads are made with sintered metal.

I'm not sure I understand. Are the EBC FA496 the stock (OEM) pads or replacement pads that will fit?

Sounds like the EBC FA496HH pads would be an upgrade regardless.

SpudRider
07-15-2015, 12:57 AM
I'm not sure I understand. Are the EBC FA496 the stock (OEM) pads or replacement pads that will fit?

Sounds like the EBC FA496HH pads would be an upgrade regardless.

The stock RX3 has Chinese brake pads. The EBC FA496 brake pads are replacement brake pads which will fit the RX3 rear brake. ;) The EBC FA496HH pads are manufactured from sintered metal, and the EBC FA496 pads are manufactured from organic material.

NoVa Rider
08-12-2015, 09:03 PM
While we wait for a better front pad, do any other RX3 owners experience a pulsing in their front brake? Been that way from new on mine, thought it might work itself out once the pads seated themselves, but after 2000 miles, it's still there. Feels a bit like the brake grabs then releases, grabs and releases, etc as the wheel turns. I realize this is normally an indication of a warped rotor, but I would not have expected that on a new bike. I plan to check it out.

AZRider
08-12-2015, 10:00 PM
While we wait for a better front pad, do any other RX3 owners experience a pulsing in their front brake? Been that way from new on mine, thought it might work itself out once the pads seated themselves, but after 2000 miles, it's still there. Feels a bit like the brake grabs then releases, grabs and releases, etc as the wheel turns. I realize this is normally an indication of a warped rotor, but I would not have expected that on a new bike. I plan to check it out.

Call Ryan at CSC and he'll send you a replacement rotor. Order 6 extra bolts as the originals can be tough to remove.

SpudRider
08-13-2015, 12:50 AM

Call Ryan at CSC and he'll send you a replacement rotor. Order 6 extra bolts as the originals can be tough to remove.

X2. My front brake started to pulse with around 4,000 miles on the odometer. I called CSC, and Ryan sent me a new rotor; the problem is now fixed. :tup:

dave92029
08-14-2015, 10:56 AM
My front brake is pulsating, so I need to contact Ryan to ask for a replacement.

Does the front brake pad need to be replaced at the same time? Wouldn't the Brake pad also have uneven wear due to the faulty rotor?

What is the recommended torque for the bolts? Why would I need to replace the bolts?

Thanks

Dave

SpudRider
08-14-2015, 12:04 PM
Installing the rotor bolts is not a problem. The problem arises while trying to remove the rotor bolts. The bolts are bathed in loctite at the factory, and probably installed with an impact driver. :ohno: Therefore, it is very easy to strip the Allen key head, which can make the bolt very difficult, or impossible to remove without machine work.

Remove the bolts slowly, and with great caution, taking care not to strip the head. It is recommended to heat very troublesome bolts with a propane torch. ;) After you successfully remove the bolts the first time, subsequent installation and removal of the bolts is an easy process.

3banger
08-14-2015, 12:26 PM
A number of us have reported brake pulsation. Has anybody made the run-out measurements with dail yet? I can feel the pedal of the rotors just be for coming to a hard stop but no pulsing at speed.

I really do need to find a more aggressive pad, I'm worried my ham fisted braking technique I've developed to stop the RX in a reasonable distance will end in desaster the first time a panic breaking situation arises in my Sprint.

SpudRider
09-06-2015, 01:17 AM
I didn't measure run-out with a dial indicator. However, I did measure the thickness of my old brake rotor with a micrometer, and I noticed numerous variances in thickness. ;)

After doing some research, I concluded the front brake rotor has the same dimensions as many KTM brake rotors. The only difference is the RX3 brake rotor has larger bolt holes. If one wanted to insert helicoils in the front hub to accept smaller bolts, I'm sure he could switch over to the KTM brake rotor. ;)

pete
09-06-2015, 01:30 AM
I didn't measure run-out with a dial indicator. However, I did measure the thickness of my old brake rotor with a micrometer, and I noticed numerous variances in thickness. ;)

After doing some research, I concluded the front brake rotor has the same dimensions as many KTM brake rotors. The only difference is the RX3 brake rotor has larger bolt holes. If one wanted to insert helicoils in the front hub to accept smaller bolts, I'm sure he could switch over to the KTM brake rotor. ;)

would it not be easyer to drill the KTM rotor for the bigger bolts ?
Or is that not possable ?

SpudRider
09-06-2015, 01:38 AM
would it not be easyer to drill the KTM rotor for the bigger bolts ?
Or is that not possable ?

I think you are correct, Pete. :) Unfortunately, I don't own a drill press, neither do I own good drill bits for cutting hard steel. ;)

pete
09-06-2015, 01:52 AM
I think you are correct, Pete. :) Unfortunately, I don't own a drill press, neither do I own good drill bits for cutting hard steel. ;)

Ok.. theres 2 items for yer shoping list....

SpudRider
09-06-2015, 02:15 AM
Rather than drill the brake rotors every time, I would rather stick with Zongshen rotors, or install helicoils. ;)

:hehe:

pete
09-06-2015, 02:58 AM
Rather than drill the brake rotors every time, I would rather stick with Zongshen rotors, or install helicoils. ;)

:hehe:

how meany brake rotors do you intend to go though..?

SpudRider
09-06-2015, 12:07 PM
how meany brake rotors do you intend to go though..?

How many do you intend to use?

rjmorel
09-08-2015, 01:05 AM
Spud, I measured thickness on my pulsing front rotor also and found it to be about .005/in variance. Rear one was within .001". Bought a new rotor and surface ground the old one best I could and it made it usable with a very mini pulse feel to it. Keeping the new rotor for later. rj

SpudRider
09-08-2015, 01:34 AM
I'm fairly confident Zongshen does not manufacture brake rotors. I'm pretty sure Zongshen bought these brake rotors from another company, and assembled our shipment of RX3 motorcycles with a bad batch of rotors. ;) Since CSC offers such excellent customer service, replacing a bad brake rotor under warranty is an easy task. :tup: Therefore, I am content to stick with the stock brake rotor, since it does a good job when it is within proper specifications. ;)

Jay In Milpitas
09-09-2015, 12:02 AM
On the subject of brakes, I noticed that after my first ride the front smelled a bit hot. Since it was only a short, leisurely putt around the neighborhood I though that odd.

Close examination found that the front cylinder mount was too close to the throttle assembly and when released was hitting, not allowing full retraction of the master cylinder piston.

Quick little adjustment inboard prevented a possible heating/warping situation.

Weldangrind
09-09-2015, 01:39 AM
That's a very good tip, Jay.

Juanro
10-23-2015, 01:49 PM
So, is there a replacement or compatible part number for the front brake pad?

SpudRider
10-23-2015, 03:52 PM
So, is there a replacement or compatible part number for the front brake pad?

I have not found an exact replacement for the front brake pad. However, I was told CSC is working with a company to produce an aftermarket, front brake pad for the RX3.

3banger
10-24-2015, 12:01 AM
I've noticed that after 3000 miles hard stopping, I like fast stops almost as quick acceleration, that my brakes have much better initial bite then when new. Maybe rotors and pads just have a really beding in time? I would still give a different pad material a try.

Riceburner
10-24-2015, 06:34 PM
I have just over 3000 Km (about 1,900 miles) and my brakes don't install confidence. I really don't like the feel and stopping distance's. I have tried to work them hard in non emergency situations but I'm just not happy.

My YBR125G has a disk up front and drum rear, granted it's a lighter bike but that things stops "now". Much better in proportion to weight. I took it for a ride a few days ago and "wow", I had to pay attention since I don't ride it as much but I loved the stopping effect.

I have the EBC Double-H, Sintered Rear Brake Pads (SKU#171657, from http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/) that SpudRider had mentioned, in the mail to me now, along with a45 rear sprocket; I'll report my findings after install. :)

Juanro
10-25-2015, 09:52 PM
Just to let you know that I've instaled Honda XR250 "Tornado" front brake pad and they fitted just fine; I had to remove the little spring metal sheet inside the caliper, as the Honda's pad miss one of the tabs on the top part, and that piece touched the disk. Suppossedly that spring is to avoid pad rattle, but with it beign out I didn't noticed any strange noise.
Braking power and sensitivity is much improved, but a Little pumping action at the end of each brake is still there.

Jay In Milpitas
10-25-2015, 11:09 PM
Just to let you know that I've instaled Honda XR250 "Tornado" front brake pad and they fitted just fine; I had to remove the little spring metal sheet inside the caliper, as the Honda's pad miss one of the tabs on the top part, and that piece touched the disk. Suppossedly that spring is to avoid pad rattle, but with it beign out I didn't noticed any strange noise.
Braking power and sensitivity is much improved, but a Little pumping action at the end of each brake is still there.

That is very helpful, Juanro! Did you use Honda parts or are they from another company like EBC? Do you know the part number?

SpudRider
10-26-2015, 01:05 AM
As I speculated in post #4 of this thread, EBC FA185 fits the Honda XR250 Tornado, 01-08 model years. ;)

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/xr_250_tornado/01-08/picture/pads_front_ebc_sintered_hh_type/

http://images.wemoto.com/full/BRAKE_PADS_EBC/10017409.jpg

Vesrah VD-161 is the same brake pad.

http://catalog.vesrah.co.jp/catalog/shape/vd-161.gif

Another equivalent brake pad is SBS 694.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/b9AAAOSw0HVWDruo/s-l500.jpg

Ferode FDB892 is also the same brake pad.

http://makinaparts.com/2851-5156-thickbox/fdb892sg-ferodo-front-brake-pads-suzuki-rm-125-rm-250-rmz-250-rmz-450-drz-250-drz-450-dr650-.jpg

SpudRider
10-26-2015, 01:11 AM
This is the same front brake pad which fits my Honda XR650L, Honda CRF250X, and Kawasaki KDX220 motorcycles.

EBC FA185X: Red - Off Road
EBC FA185R: Sintered Off Road Utility

This is one of the most popular brake pads in the world, which fits dozens of Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, Beta, and Gas Gas motorcycles.

Juanro
10-26-2015, 08:36 AM
Spud, yes. Which solves two issues: availability (plenty) and quality range (wide)

Now I wish I know which bike's brake DISC I could fit...

SpudRider
10-26-2015, 08:42 AM
Spud, yes. Which solves two issues: availability (plenty) and quality range (wide)

Now I wish I know which bike's brake DISC I could fit...

Read post #19 in this thread. Do you know an inexpensive machinist? Many front brake rotors for KTM motorcycles will fit, but you need to drill the holes to accept the larger, Zongshen bolts. ;)

Juanro
10-27-2015, 05:56 PM
Spud, the mere mention of the word "ktm" will rise the Price of whatever you're looking for to sky levels around here... that's why I'm looking for a wider list of options to check out. Or, if you happen to know (or where can I find) the relevant size of the disc? Diameter I guess I could be safe with 260mm (given in the specs) but location and size of the mounting holes...?

SpudRider
10-27-2015, 09:44 PM
Here are several links with information regarding the KTM, front brake rotors. ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260mm-Front-Brake-Rotor-KTM-125-200-250-300-350-400-450-500-520-525-530-540-620-/151550658023

The following link contains the KTM rotor measurements. Of course, you can also measure the front brake rotor of your Zongshen motorcycle. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Front-Rear-Brake-Disc-Rotors/dp/B00GMQJWWI

Outside Diameter: 260 mm
Inside Diameter: 127 mm
Number of Holes: Six
Bolt Hole Diameter: 143 mm

Juanro
10-28-2015, 06:19 PM
That is very helpful, Juanro! Did you use Honda parts or are they from another company like EBC? Do you know the part number?

Jay sorry I missed your post. Reading from the phone is not easy. No, I didn't use a genuine Honda part, I used one from a Brazilian manufacturer, FrasLe

Juanro
10-28-2015, 06:22 PM
Spud thanks for the info, that's very usefully. I'll try to find a compatible part with the help of a vendor here.

peperino
10-28-2015, 06:50 PM
I (just as Juanro) am suffering the same issue with the front brake. I proceeded to change the pads, here are some pics

peperino
10-28-2015, 06:51 PM
More pics

peperino
10-28-2015, 06:52 PM
Brake has improved a lot, but the pulsating issue remains

Juanro
10-28-2015, 06:53 PM
Welcome to the dark side! Did you left the spring piece inside the caliper? Have you seated the pads yet?

peperino
10-28-2015, 06:57 PM
Welcome to the dark side! Did you left the spring piece inside the caliper? Have you seated the pads yet?

I had to remove that piece otherwise the pad would not fit. I think they are pretty much seated at this point, I believe the stock pads are hard as rock that's why they take long to seat

SpudRider
10-28-2015, 09:31 PM
Brake has improved a lot, but the pulsating issue remains

The pulsating front wheel is caused by a brake rotor which has uneven thickness. ;)

SpudRider
10-28-2015, 09:36 PM
http://www.chinariders.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=3822&stc=1&d=1446072605

I had to remove that piece otherwise the pad would not fit. I think they are pretty much seated at this point, I believe the stock pads are hard as rock that's why they take long to seat

Is it possible to modify the spring, or only remove half of it? Do you notice any brake chatter without the spring? Do the FA185 brake pads contact the same part of the brake rotor?

peperino
10-28-2015, 09:37 PM
The pulsating front wheel is caused by a brake rotor which has uneven thickness. ;)

I wonder why Zongshen doesn't have better quality control on this thing. You can get away being lazy in some areas but man, it's the brake, it's important!

Also, there are lots of users with this issue here @ Arg. It's not a isolated issue

SpudRider
10-28-2015, 09:52 PM
I wonder why Zongshen doesn't have better quality control on this thing. You can get away being lazy in some areas but man, it's the brake, it's important!

Also, there are lots of users with this issue here @ Arg. It's not a isolated issue

I agree. There are a lot of RX3 owners in the United States who also have a pulsating front brake. However, CSC honors the warranty, and is replacing the front brake rotor for no cost. Once the defective, front brake rotor is replaced with a good rotor, the problem disappears. :)

Zongshen doesn't manufacture brake rotors. Apparently Zongshen got a bad batch of front brake rotors from its supplier. :ohno:

Riceburner
10-28-2015, 10:43 PM
I agree. There are a lot of RX3 owners in the United States who also have a pulsating front brake. However, CSC honors the warranty, and is replacing the front brake rotor for no cost. Once the defective, front brake rotor is replaced with a good rotor, the problem disappears. :)

Zongshen doesn't manufacture brake rotors. Apparently Zongshen got a bad batch of front brake rotors from its supplier. :ohno:

This is the same case as the carburetor problem I was experiencing. Zongshen doesn't make the carb's, the supplier had a batch with manufacturing defects, not all carbs, but many. Here my Motorstar, Zong dealer came through on the warranty. :lol:

I had recall's on two of my BMW, F650's and we all know all manufactures have some problems, it's a matter of the manufacture and dealer responding to the problem and making it right and the customer happy. :D

Juanro
10-29-2015, 09:32 AM
without the spring? Do the FA185 brake pads contact the same part of the brake rotor?

If you look at the replacement pad it has only one tab in the back, those are tha tabs that are pressed by that spring. I tried to modify (a.k.a. bend) the tabs so it only presses one of the tab, but it's supported on the caliper body in the middle and when you put on the pads, the other side pivots back and it touches the disc edge. I removed it altogether and haven't noticed any strange noise, nor chatter or vibration at all.

The new pads touch about the same area as the old ones, perhaps a couple mm more to the inner side of the disc.

I measured my disc thickness all round with an analog, dial caliper good to the 1/100 of mm and it was between the tolerance of the instrument, i mean: thickness variation was about or lower than 1/100 mm. But it still pulses.

Weldangrind
10-29-2015, 11:35 AM
I measured my disc thickness all round with an analog, dial caliper good to the 1/100 of mm and it was between the tolerance of the instrument, i mean: thickness variation was about or lower than 1/100 mm. But it still pulses.

Like this, with a magnetic base?

http://d2pbmlo3fglvvr.cloudfront.net/product/full/Z-LJ9ufo5oy.JPG

keithmaine
10-29-2015, 01:57 PM
Like this, with a magnetic base?

http://d2pbmlo3fglvvr.cloudfront.net/product/full/Z-LJ9ufo5oy.JPG

What Weldandgrind is checking is runout and that is really what we are concerned with static measuring will give you some idea if a part will have run out but an indicator measuring a rotating disk will give you truly what you need to know. Also calipers have graduations down to 1/100mm but that is not their accuracy no set of calipers on earth are that accurate nor are the humans squeezing them, for that you would need good quality micrometers. But with that said if you have no visual deviation with your calipers in thickness you can still have disk run out, many brake disk get over heated and warp. If the stock pads are hard they can cause over heating of the disk causing the warped disk to pulsate causing the issue.

SpudRider
10-29-2015, 02:45 PM
If you look at the replacement pad it has only one tab in the back, those are tha tabs that are pressed by that spring. I tried to modify (a.k.a. bend) the tabs so it only presses one of the tab, but it's supported on the caliper body in the middle and when you put on the pads, the other side pivots back and it touches the disc edge. I removed it altogether and haven't noticed any strange noise, nor chatter or vibration at all...

Thank you for replying with that good information. :)

...The new pads touch about the same area as the old ones, perhaps a couple mm more to the inner side of the disc...

The EBC FA125 brake pads are 2 mm narrower than the EBC FA185 brake pads. The FA125 brake pads would probably imitate the original brake pads more closely, but I don't see a problem with getting a little extra bite on the disc rotor. ;)

Since both my Honda XR650L and Honda CRF250X employ the FA185 brake pads, I have a new, spare set of these front brake pads handy. I will install them in the next few days, and give them a test ride, myself. :)

SpudRider
10-29-2015, 02:49 PM
Even without a dial indicator, you can tell if the brake rotor has excessive runout. Just look for uneven wear on the brake rotor. ;)

I received a new, front brake rotor from CSC, and it eliminated the pulsating front brake. However, I still have a little uneven wear on my front brake rotor. In contrast, my rear brake rotor is wearing perfectly evenly. :tup:

Juanro
10-29-2015, 03:07 PM
Hi, as mentioned above, I didn't measured runout but thickness, using this (picture attached). It consistently showed 3.92~3.93 mm thickness in various points around the disc.
To check for runout I don't have the right instrument. I layed the disc flat over my marble countertop and over a thick glass piece I have over my workind desk, and couldn't detect any click when gently pressing around, so I called it good :hmm:

Juanro
10-29-2015, 03:14 PM
What I DID notice is that some of the supporting bolts are either misaligned or the hole is just a bit smaller than needed. When putting the disc back I couldn't get the bolts to seat by hand before torquing, even when I was using extra caution and doing it in a cross pattern and so on; I wonder if this is putting some uneven tension on the disc when mounted and causing it to warp or distort ever so lightly.

SpudRider
10-29-2015, 03:20 PM
What I DID notice is that some of the supporting bolts are either misaligned or the hole is just a bit smaller than needed. When putting the disc back I couldn't get the bolts to seat by hand before torquing, even when I was using extra caution and doing it in a cross pattern and so on; I wonder if this is putting some uneven tension on the disc when mounted and causing it to warp or distort ever so lightly.

Yes, that certainly could cause the problem. ;)

I did not notice this problem when I installed the new brake rotor sent to me by CSC. Even if the holes are the correct size and aligned properly, you can still cause the brake rotor to warp if you don't install it carefully. I don't doubt that some good brake rotors were installed improperly at the Zongshen factory. If so, removing the brake rotor, and carefully re-installing it, might solve the problem. ;)

Juanro
10-29-2015, 03:24 PM
What part of the hole is supposed to make for the alignment of the disc? The 10mm hole thru, or the outer 16mm step?

SpudRider
10-29-2015, 03:40 PM
I first align the inner, 10 mm hole. Then I evenly tighten the bolts until all of them contact the disc. Finally, I incrementally tighten all the bolts in a star pattern, until all the bolts are tight.

If you have any problems with the Zongshen rotor bolts, you can also install brake rotor bolts designed for the Kawasaki KLR650. ;)

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/3893/45338/Bolt-Rotor-Bolt-Kit?v=12127

https://images.rockymountainatvmc.com/images/prod/400/b/bol_15_rot_bol_kit-1474790011.jpg

Juanro
10-29-2015, 03:53 PM
I don't know. The bolts seems fine. Is the holes (namely, the disc itself) I suspect.
You method is the same as mine. But getting the 6 bolts to enter the 10mm hole was hard, I couldn't do it by hand and ended using the allen head, not much force, but noticeable. I'll try againg next saturday, taking more time to check if I can detect where the misalignment is.

Longboarder1968
11-05-2015, 07:41 AM
Keep us updated with replacement brake pads. I feel it is the biggest fault in the motorcycle(AKT 250TT in Colombia). Don't know if it's soft pads or not a big enough caliper pot? :hmm:

Juanro
11-05-2015, 12:54 PM
I can confirm that Honda XR 250 / Tornado pads fit and work very well.
Of course for those you have a wide range of options, Price and quality wise to choose.
I also can confirm that the disc IS warped, but -only- when fitted in the Wheel hub, taking it out and putting on a plane table shows it's flat as it should be.

superdude
11-05-2015, 03:49 PM
Spud have you installed your EBC FR185 pads yet? And Juanro how many miles so far on your new pads and still not noticing any issues with the spring removed? I just ordered a set from Amazon of the FR185s pads. Hoping will help the stopping power and feel in the front by a fair amount.

SpudRider
11-05-2015, 04:49 PM
No, it snowed this morning in East Idaho. :tdown: I might not install the FA185 pads until next spring. ;)

Weldangrind
11-06-2015, 01:03 AM
I can confirm that Honda XR 250 / Tornado pads fit and work very well.
Of course for those you have a wide range of options, Price and quality wise to choose.
I also can confirm that the disc IS warped, but -only- when fitted in the Wheel hub, taking it out and putting on a plane table shows it's flat as it should be.

Can you figure out which areas have space between the rotor and the hub? If you can, then maybe you can shim the space, so it doesn't distort the rotor.

Juanro
11-08-2015, 05:06 PM
Can you figure out which areas have space between the rotor and the hub? If you can, then maybe you can shim the space, so it doesn't distort the rotor.

I don't think that is a matter of space between hub and rotor, but instead of misalignment of either the holes in the rotor or the threaded holes of the hub. This, I'm sure slight, misalignment puts tension on the rotor when I tighten the supporting bolts and that is what causing it to warp.
After my last hammering session it seems to be working pretty well.
I've put about 1000km with the new Honda pads and no spring without any issue. Braking power is good, I use the bike both near max speed in the highway for a couple hours two or three time a week and in some dirt and sand trails on weekends and braking is flawless in both situations.
Regards
Juanro

superdude
11-08-2015, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the info Juanro. I installed the new ebc pads yesterday and definitely they seem loose when first installing, but you are right you can't fit the retaining clip/spring in. I've never had a bike that didn't have two pins attaching the pads as the rx3 brakes have one so that might be the reason for that too. Haven't rode it yet but will ride it confidently thanks to Juanros vote of confidence.

SpudRider
11-14-2015, 01:56 AM
Perhaps the front brake caliper of the RX3 motorcycles imported into the United States is different. :shrug: However, I successfully installed the EBC FA185 brake pads into the front brake caliper of my RX3 using the stock, Zongshen pad spring. :tup: You can read my report at the following thread. ;)

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?p=197665&posted=1#post197665