PDA

View Full Version : Ride to Wickenburg AZ, the back way

Pages : 1 [2]

Musictrek
11-04-2020, 11:39 PM
Looks like were going to cool off this Sat! A high of 75!

culcune
11-05-2020, 09:14 AM
Looks like were going to cool off this Sat! A high of 75!

Thank goodness! Last year's rally, I had to have my Subaru's air conditioning on the whole drive :lmao:

Emerikol
11-05-2020, 07:17 PM
Thank goodness! Last year's rally, I had to have my Subaru's air conditioning on the whole drive :lmao:

You're going to have a whole lot of air conditioning on the Hawk!!:D

culcune
11-05-2020, 11:40 PM
You're going to have a whole lot of air conditioning on the Hawk!!:D

Cannot wait!!

paulsstag
11-06-2020, 02:36 PM
Sorry guys but i'm not going to make it. My Brozz is all back together except the head :ohno: I sent the head to a machine shop for a 1mm deck but they dragged feet and i only picked it up yesterday.

I ordered some carbide bits (arrived yesterday) and one of those electric motors that hang with a 3 foot cable and a small drill type chuck at the end (up to 4mm). well that was just dropped off by UPS :shrug:. This looks like just the ticket to do the cylinder head. I will keep you all posted.

I hope the ride goes well with no breakdowns or punctures and the weather is favorable.

Most of all just have fun

alex_in_az
11-06-2020, 05:19 PM
Sorry guys but i'm not going to make it. My Brozz is all back together except the head :ohno: I sent the head to a machine shop for a 1mm deck but they dragged feet and i only picked it up yesterday.

I ordered some carbide bits (arrived yesterday) and one of those electric motors that hang with a 3 foot cable and a small drill type chuck at the end (up to 4mm). well that was just dropped off by UPS :shrug:. This looks like just the ticket to do the cylinder head. I will keep you all posted.

I hope the ride goes well with no breakdowns or punctures and the weather is favorable.

it's a very worthwhile mod, I did it about 6months ago and it wakes the bikes up. I'd also advise the 4 degree timing advance as well.

Musictrek
11-06-2020, 06:09 PM

Nice project! If all goes well I should have some video to watch later.
Thank you for considering the trip!

superduder
11-06-2020, 07:27 PM
Just had to clean the whole "fuel system" on the champion in preparation for tomorrow.
I have NO idea how to get it to the start point, other than ride it from here...
And as we all know from my past posts, that doesn't usually work out too well. (stay tuned) lol
Anyhow, as of right now, I'm in the "Definite Maybe" catagory for 9 in the am tomorrow.
J

(Edit)
Heading out at 4:30 to see if I (the bike) can make the trip.
Nothing like a trial by fire to test ones metal.

(Second Edit)
Told y'all so,
Made it exactly 6 miles from the house and the bike started chugging, and sputtered out.
Won't run without the choke on, won't start if it's warm, Getting ready to post it to CL,
Good luck on the rally (?)

paulsstag
11-06-2020, 07:56 PM
it's a very worthwhile mod, I did it about 6months ago and it wakes the bikes up. I'd also advise the 4 degree timing advance as well.

Hello Alex, I was going to put off my bike mods until after this ride. However some of the stuff i ordered came in way earlier than i had expected and we had a storm come through our area about a week or so ago so i decided to just do it as i could not ride anyway.

I was hoping to compare my bike as it was which is bone stock with a stock cfr exhaust system and a replacement carb (with jetting) and a better spark plug. I would have liked to see the difference compared to your bike and Emikrols bike.

I did the following:

4 degree timing key (checked the stator bolts while the cover was off (good)

Put in the bigger cam with roller followers (i think the same as megadan)

Head decked 1mm porting will start happening tomorrow (i can see the exhaust port needs a bit of work and i will just smooth out all the other areas of the head.

I have a PWK 30mm smooth bore , flat slide carb (a full jet kit to get it dialed in) plus matching intake manifold and a UNI foam filter waiting to finish it up.

I was going to order the big bore kit from the cg300 but put that off for now as it will be a case splitting job with a bore of the area where the bigger sleeve goes in . According to my maths if the big bore kit has the 70mm piston then it will yield 250cc's so i assume the cg300's must have a longer stroke as well to get the displacement up ?

Again i wish you guys all the best for tomorrow.

culcune
11-07-2020, 09:37 PM
This year's ride is done. It was a fun time for all! :tup: It is fairly local to the Phoenix metropolitan area, so I am sure there could be more rides on the same general trails/roads. Musictrek knows many alternate routes, so even with the same starting point, and ending point, there are numerous combinations between. We had 3 Chinese bikes, 1 Japanese, and a Russian.

Musictrek
11-07-2020, 10:02 PM
This year's ride is done. It was a fun time for all! :tup: It is fairly local to the Phoenix metropolitan area, so I am sure there could be more rides on the same general trails/roads. Musictrek knows many alternate routes, so even with the same starting point, and ending point, there are numerous combinations between. We had 3 Chinese bikes, 1 Japanese, and a Russian.

That was a fun safe trip! I'm glad you all were able to make it for the fun ride and everyone hopefully had a safe ride back to home. I'll upload a video soon to Youtube.

Emerikol
11-07-2020, 11:22 PM
A Japanese, A Russian, and three Chinese motorcycles walk into a bar...
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Musictrek
11-08-2020, 12:10 AM
And they order a White Russian and three rice wines:yay:

Emerikol
11-08-2020, 08:29 AM
And they order a White Russian and three rice wines:yay:

That's the Russian's first round... What are the rest of them going to drink?

alex_in_az
11-08-2020, 08:47 AM
That was a fun safe trip! I'm glad you all were able to make it for the fun ride and everyone hopefully had a safe ride back to home. I'll upload a video soon to Youtube.
yup, that was a good time. looking forward to seeing the video.

culcune
11-08-2020, 01:10 PM
Fun times!

Musictrek
11-09-2020, 04:28 PM
yup, that was a good time. looking forward to seeing the video.
Woking on that video. The upload times to youtube is taking over 24 hours. I think I could have drove the video to youtube headquarters quicker!

culcune
11-10-2020, 09:37 AM
Woking on that video. The upload times to youtube is taking over 24 hours. I think I could have drove the video to youtube headquarters quicker!

You could have taken secondary roads on your Brozz to YouTube headquarters quicker--and made it back! :hehe:

I do hope you got some Ural footage, and DO NOT have footage of any of my embarrassing moments... :lmao:

Musictrek
11-10-2020, 12:21 PM
You could have taken secondary roads on your Brozz to YouTube headquarters quicker--and made it back! :hehe:

I do hope you got some Ural footage, and DO NOT have footage of any of my embarrassing moments... :lmao:
Sorry no bathroom break videos

Musictrek
11-10-2020, 12:26 PM
I need to fire the video editor. Oh wait that’s me. Sorry I left out the DRZ in the title. I got hung up on the Russian and the three Chinas walking into the bar. DRZ went out for sushi. As usual I ran out of battery for the whole ride. I should have plugged in from usb power. It’s a good nap afternoon video to https://youtu.be/4y_RQluDhA0

JerryHawk250
11-10-2020, 12:47 PM
Man that looked like a fun trip. I have to make one of these trips. Looks like the Hawk was a little tall for Culcune but you handled it well. :tup: You just need some more ride time. Alex was hanging in there. And best of all we got to see the Ural in action. :tup: Great job on the video Musictrek :tup:

Musictrek
11-10-2020, 09:54 PM
Man that looked like a fun trip. I have to make one of these trips. Looks like the Hawk was a little tall for Culcune but you handled it well. :tup: You just need some more ride time. Alex was hanging in there. And best of all we got to see the Ural in action. :tup: Great job on the video Musictrek :tup:
It is a really good trail ride for these bikes. Plan on next year for the ride! It's one of my fav rides on the Brozz.:thanks:

Emerikol
11-10-2020, 10:31 PM
Ural brakes in action at 37:15...
Ural chase at 57:30...

Those are the most prominent Ural features in the video. Music, great job recording everything! I really appreciate you putting this together. TJ had a great time, and Culcune also said he enjoyed himself on the Hawk. Can't wait for the next ride.

Musictrek
11-10-2020, 10:51 PM
Ural brakes in action at 37:15...
Ural chase at 57:30...

Those are the most prominent Ural features in the video. Music, great job recording everything! I really appreciate you putting this together. TJ had a great time, and Culcune also said he enjoyed himself on the Hawk. Can't wait for the next ride.
Thank you on the video. I'm glad TJ and Culcune were able to make it. Lets try and plan to do the Table mesa rd over to the town of Cave Creek ride sometime. We can meetup right off the highway of I-17 and Table Mesa Rd turn off ramp. Can black top it back after the ride in Cave Creek

alex_in_az
11-11-2020, 08:23 AM
Thank you on the video. I'm glad TJ and Culcune were able to make it. Lets try and plan to do the Table mesa rd over to the town of Cave Creek ride sometime. We can meetup right off the highway of I-17 and Table Mesa Rd turn off ramp. Can black top it back after the ride in Cave Creek
great pictures, I'd love to do that cave creek ride sometime. what keywords should I use to search for the video on you-tube? I was trying to watch it thru roku, but couldn't find it.

Musictrek
11-11-2020, 10:07 AM
great pictures, I'd love to do that cave creek ride sometime. what keywords should I use to search for the video on https://youtu.be/AXYvjjxG6Z8 you-tube? I was trying to watch it thru roku, but couldn't find it.
Here’s a video of some of the table Mesa road ride

https://youtu.be/AXYvjjxG6Z8

https://youtu.be/roOL3gfpBc4

culcune
11-11-2020, 10:28 AM
Looks like the Hawk was a little tall for Culcune but you handled it well. :tup: You just need some more ride time.

I need to drink more milk! :lmao: This does show those wondering if they are tall enough for a bike in the Hawk's size that wearing the proper shoes will help out. I have been 5'7" since forever, but at 51 years old might be 5'6" and the bike only felt tall on the hills if I needed to put my feet down. It takes practice and boots to get used to riding, and many members who were apprehensive with buying the taller dual-sports seem to have the same experiences. That being said, I have been offered to purchase the beast from Emerikol which is mighty tempting...

JerryHawk250
11-11-2020, 10:55 AM
I need to drink more milk! :lmao: This does show those wondering if they are tall enough for a bike in the Hawk's size that wearing the proper shoes will help out. I have been 5'7" since forever, but at 51 years old might be 5'6" and the bike only felt tall on the hills if I needed to put my feet down. It takes practice and boots to get used to riding, and many members who were apprehensive with buying the taller dual-sports seem to have the same experiences. That being said, I have been offered to purchase the beast from Emerikol which is mighty tempting...

You don't ride with your feet on the ground. Just spend more time riding and less time stopping. :hehe: You can install a shorter rear shock to help with the seat height.

Emerikol
11-11-2020, 11:05 AM
Please buy the bike, Culcune! I need to feed my aviation habit! 😊

Magician16
11-19-2020, 10:27 AM
Looks like you guys had a great time. Riding the Ural looks interesting. I bought a Magician last year because I thought my legs were too short for the Hawk, but when I buy a bike for AZ it will either be a Hawk or Bashan.

culcune
11-19-2020, 01:14 PM
There should be more rides, or at least you could ride with Musictrek on a random weekend if none of us are able to make it to a 'formal' ride.

alex_in_az
02-03-2021, 06:50 PM
Any interest in doing the Table Mesa to Cave Creek run before it gets too disgustingly hot?

dh
02-04-2021, 12:07 PM
That looks like an awesome ride.

One of these days I'd like to make the ride up to Crown King. The forest and ghost towns look like fun. I visited the northern edge of the Prescott Forest last weekend and it was packed with snow.

calvarez
02-04-2021, 12:11 PM
Any interest in doing the Table Mesa to Cave Creek run before it gets too disgustingly hot?

Interested. I'm fairly new to mountain dirt riding, so what is the difficulty level of this ride? I'd be doing it on a KTM 390 adv. I have a lot of experience Jeeping in the area, and with flat/motocross style riding on lighter bikes (CR500, etc), but still challenged by mountain terrain slightly.

alex_in_az
02-04-2021, 02:39 PM
Interested. I'm fairly new to mountain dirt riding, so what is the difficulty level of this ride? I'd be doing it on a KTM 390 adv. I have a lot of experience Jeeping in the area, and with flat/motocross style riding on lighter bikes (CR500, etc), but still challenged by mountain terrain slightly.
I got the impression from Paul that it's not really any harder than the Wickenburg run was

Emerikol
02-05-2021, 01:06 PM
Wanted to give this a bump and see if anyone wanted to put together a ride in Late February or early March. The weather has been great, and is projected to stay that way. Anyone interested in doing a ride somewhere? We can do the trusty Wickenburg standby, or try somewhere new. Anyone?

calvarez
02-05-2021, 01:24 PM
Consider me in, let's see if any others...

I'm in the far NW area so not far, and have shop space/tools if needed. Oh, and a recovery vehicle if needed.

Emerikol
02-05-2021, 01:28 PM
Good to know! That's one in so far! Do you have someone interested in coming along to drive the recovery vehicle? Or would you skip riding to drive support?

calvarez
02-05-2021, 01:30 PM
I was thinking more that if we need to go back and get it, we could. It's a Rubicon Gladiator, easy to deal with the trail. Don't have someone who would want to drive along though.

alex_in_az
02-06-2021, 09:24 AM
Wanted to give this a bump and see if anyone wanted to put together a ride in Late February or early March. The weather has been great, and is projected to stay that way. Anyone interested in doing a ride somewhere? We can do the trusty Wickenburg standby, or try somewhere new. Anyone?
I'm in, I'd been thinking about a new set of tires and this would be a good excuse

Emerikol
02-06-2021, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the update, Alex. A good ride is always a good excuse to buy new things/equipment! Ok, so that's two so far, plus me, and TJ will probably want to come out for a ride again. Who else wants to jump in?

superduder
02-07-2021, 02:45 PM
Well I got a new (to me) carb for the Champion,
Seems to be doing fine, at least it did fine putting 450mi on the bike in a day,
So yeah, I guess I'm in,
And I might actually be able at least to make it to the starting point this time.

Emerikol
02-07-2021, 04:08 PM
Ok. So anybody have a preference on when we do this, and where we’ll be headed?

culcune
02-10-2021, 06:33 PM
I could drive a back-up vehicle. I would probably rather not take the Impreza on such an adventure again... :lmao:

Emerikol
02-11-2021, 05:46 AM
Thanks, Culcune. Let's see how this shakes out. The Impreza was a beast when you took it, but yeah, not thinking it would like a second round. :tup: Anybody hear from MusicTrek lately? I've not seen him post anything in the last little bit. I'll shoot him a PM and check in. Since he knows those trails pretty well, if he doesn't want to go or can't make it, we're probably going to have to find a plan b route.

calvarez
02-11-2021, 11:59 AM
My timeframe is pretty open. I know that doesn't help in nailing down a specific time, but others may have more constraints. For the next two weekends I will be getting our food gardens ready to grow, but after that, no plans. Perhaps first weekend of March? Outside of something weird, the weather is typically great for riding.

Emerikol
02-15-2021, 08:41 PM
::BUMP:: No word back from MusicTrek. Hope he's ok. If I don't hear something this week, how would everyone feel about making plans to do a ride somewhere other than Wickenburg? I have no idea where yet, but I'm certainly open to any suggestions.

culcune
09-01-2021, 01:25 AM
With the heat still permeating around here, combined with, surprisingly LOTS of humidity (all of July and August--stormy-like weather) and the past few days quite a large storm thanks to the remnants of Hurricane/Tropical Storm Nora making its way north as far north as Colorado, should we start thinking of the twice done ride? Emerikol has moved away, and I have not seen Music Trek on here for a while (he started the ride in the first place), but is anyone else interested in a ride when the weather gets cooler; say November? I have actually found a Chinese bike on Riders Share rentals--a Bashan Storm, in the Phoenix area, and I would like to reserve it if we can get enough people interested to justify renting it. I was thinking a possibility is to head a bit west and try to get to a part of the Arizona Peace Trail which crosses I 10 somewhere in the middle of nowhere in La Paz County, as well as crosses the 60 not too far north. The issue I see is riding Chinese dual-sports for miles on, say the 60, to get to the trail. We could look into a couple of other rides, or if we can remember the route, Surprise to Wickenburg. I will ask on the Facebook group as well as there were a few Phoenix-area riders interested in meeting up for rides over the past several months and were pleasantly surprised when I mentioned the Surprise to Wickenburg route for Chinese dual-sports.

Emerikol
09-01-2021, 06:08 AM
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/955513938360101/?ref=browse_tab&referral_code=marketplace_top_picks&referral_story_type=top_picks&tracking=%7B%22qid%22%3A%22-7857363938213776024%22%2C%22mf_story_key%22%3A%228 37153921651974144%22%2C%22commerce_rank_obj%22%3A% 22%7B%5C%22target_id%5C%22%3A837153921651974144%2C %5C%22target_type%5C%22%3A6%2C%5C%22primary_positi on%5C%22%3A0%2C%5C%22ranking_signature%5C%22%3A481 4483125625159680%2C%5C%22commerce_channel%5C%22%3A 501%2C%5C%22value%5C%22%3A0%2C%5C%22upsell_type%5C %22%3A21%2C%5C%22grouping_info%5C%22%3Anull%7D%22% 7D

Emerikol
09-01-2021, 06:10 AM
Culcune, Here's a bike you might be interested in. I could pick it up here in GA, get it running, and then ship it off to you. As much as I would like to do this ride again, I'm afraid I'm going to have to tap out. I don't have the ability to leave everything here long enough to ride out there, do the ride, and then ride back. They were certainly fun rides, though!

culcune
09-01-2021, 10:36 AM
Culcune, Here's a bike you might be interested in. I could pick it up here in GA, get it running, and then ship it off to you. As much as I would like to do this ride again, I'm afraid I'm going to have to tap out. I don't have the ability to leave everything here long enough to ride out there, do the ride, and then ride back. They were certainly fun rides, though!

Thanks for the tip! I am in a perpetual wait and see mode, however, but did find a Bashan Storm on the peer-to-peer rental group for about $50 to $70 for a one-day rental, which would be definitely keeping in spirit of a Chinariders group ride. In fact, IF things start getting back to normal this fall, I might invest in a Lifan X-Pect to rent out to snowbirds here in Yuma, and possibly even get into offroad bikes and quads (i.e. Kayo, Pitster/GPX, or Orion). I want to see if there is enough business and if these bikes will hold up to abuse from renters to justify keeping them around to rent out.

Rentals is what revived my interest in the two-year annual S to W ride. I had thought about it months ago before I found the bike, but with Musictrek not active and you moved away, I thought the ride was dead. But, when looking on Turo for a rental car for Chicago last month, I happened upon Riders Share and another company, and found the dual-sport there. Then I put two and two together. Even if I cannot put together a group ride, I will probably rent the bike one of these weeks as I have yet to ride any of the Bashan bikes. How is everything going in Georgia? It must have been nice to get back to 'home' vs. the impersonal Phoenix metropolitan area. You are not the only one I have heard of badmouthing and/or moving away from there. Funny enough, I am really looking into going back to L.A., but that is another story for another time.

culcune
09-01-2021, 11:07 PM
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/955513938360101/?ref=browse_tab&referral_code=marketplace_top_picks&referral_story_type=top_picks&tracking=%7B%22qid%22%3A%22-7857363938213776024%22%2C%22mf_story_key%22%3A%228 37153921651974144%22%2C%22commerce_rank_obj%22%3A% 22%7B%5C%22target_id%5C%22%3A837153921651974144%2C %5C%22target_type%5C%22%3A6%2C%5C%22primary_positi on%5C%22%3A0%2C%5C%22ranking_signature%5C%22%3A481 4483125625159680%2C%5C%22commerce_channel%5C%22%3A 501%2C%5C%22value%5C%22%3A0%2C%5C%22upsell_type%5C %22%3A21%2C%5C%22grouping_info%5C%22%3Anull%7D%22% 7D

Hey, it's a Honda!! :tup: :lmao:

calvarez
09-02-2021, 07:48 PM
I'm interested in a trail ride, but would be bringing a non-Chinese bike; sold mine and upgraded to a KTM 390 Adv.

Emerikol
09-04-2021, 06:14 AM
Thanks for the tip! I am in a perpetual wait and see mode, however, but did find a Bashan Storm on the peer-to-peer rental group for about $50 to $70 for a one-day rental, which would be definitely keeping in spirit of a Chinariders group ride. In fact, IF things start getting back to normal this fall, I might invest in a Lifan X-Pect to rent out to snowbirds here in Yuma, and possibly even get into offroad bikes and quads (i.e. Kayo, Pitster/GPX, or Orion). I want to see if there is enough business and if these bikes will hold up to abuse from renters to justify keeping them around to rent out.

Rentals is what revived my interest in the two-year annual S to W ride. I had thought about it months ago before I found the bike, but with Musictrek not active and you moved away, I thought the ride was dead. But, when looking on Turo for a rental car for Chicago last month, I happened upon Riders Share and another company, and found the dual-sport there. Then I put two and two together. Even if I cannot put together a group ride, I will probably rent the bike one of these weeks as I have yet to ride any of the Bashan bikes. How is everything going in Georgia? It must have been nice to get back to 'home' vs. the impersonal Phoenix metropolitan area. You are not the only one I have heard of badmouthing and/or moving away from there. Funny enough, I am really looking into going back to L.A., but that is another story for another time.

Right off the bat, I'm going to tell you the liability with back-country rentals in the desert is going to be a major obstacle. Let me lay out a scenario with you, and just show how quickly things might go wrong.

Let's say you rent someone a dual sport motorcycle for a day trip somewhere.

Situation 1) they lay it down in the sugar sand and get hurt. They weren't prepared for the trip in the first place, and don't have any water or equipment with them, and no cell signal or they're too seriously injured to even use the cell phone. On top of that, they're hopelessly lost, and couldn't even tell the rescue teams where they are. When they finally do the recovery, who do you think the family is going to come after? It's going to be your fault because you rented a motorcycle to someone who was a complete burke, and you should have known better than to rent to someone with that little experience, blah, blah, blah, insert long drawn out attorney's notices here. Doesn't end well for you...

Situation 2) they take the bike and it breaks down on the trail somewhere. They're not hurt, just stranded. Luckily for you though, they were riding with some friends. So they just push the POS China bike off onto the side of the trail and leave it there for you, and ride back dutch with their buddies. Now when they get back, they demand a full refund because you rented them a broken down basket case of a China bike, and it was such an inconvenience being stuck on the trail instead of riding (more like abusing your equipment) with their friends. And, oh yeah, don't forget you have to go out on the trail to get your bike back, and hope that you can find it or that it's even still there.

All things being equal, the fastest way to make a small fortune in that type of rental arena is to start with a large fortune. I really think trying to break into a niche rental market like that in the Phoenix area is going to a lesson in legal terms and how overall terrible people can be.

superduder
09-05-2021, 01:19 PM
Oh, are yall talking about doing this again?
Since Ive been daily-ing Whitey (icebear champion)
I think he should be reliable enough this time around.
Just need to know a week or so before hand,
Then I'm in.
J

culcune
09-05-2021, 04:06 PM
Oh, are yall talking about doing this again?
Since Ive been daily-ing Whitey (icebear champion)
I think he should be reliable enough this time around.
Just need to know a week or so before hand,
Then I'm in.
J

I would like to try to get this thing going again.

culcune
09-05-2021, 04:12 PM
Right off the bat, I'm going to tell you the liability with back-country rentals in the desert is going to be a major obstacle. Let me lay out a scenario with you, and just show how quickly things might go wrong.

All good points. I had been considering doing rental/purchases for people planning to ride south into Mexico and points further south for years. A guy on Horizonsunlimited does this out of Peru with Chinese bikes, but from what I understand, an American registration is great for most Central and South American countries as far as selling peer to peer. With these peer to peer rentals, it opened up a realm of possibilities.

Emerikol
09-06-2021, 08:27 AM
All good points. I had been considering doing rental/purchases for people planning to ride south into Mexico and points further south for years. A guy on Horizonsunlimited does this out of Peru with Chinese bikes, but from what I understand, an American registration is great for most Central and South American countries as far as selling peer to peer. With these peer to peer rentals, it opened up a realm of possibilities.

The registration will be ok, but you'll need Mexico-specific insurance. Insurance from the states isn't accepted down there, and most insurers up here won't cover any losses down there. There are a couple places that write dual policies, but generally speaking it'll be easier to work with a Mexican insurer down there. Especially if you're planning to put together a fleet of bikes to go down.

Musictrek
09-10-2021, 11:32 PM
Well hello all, long time no see. Hope all doing well. Any interest in doing a 2021 ride to Wickenburg?

culcune
09-11-2021, 11:16 AM
Well hello all, long time no see. Hope all doing well. Any interest in doing a 2021 ride to Wickenburg?

When and where?? I think I can rent an actual Chinese bike from one of the peer to peer rental sites unless it falls apart by the time of the ride :lmao:

Magician16
09-15-2021, 08:46 PM
As a snowbird, I plan on getting a bike for use in Chandler. I'd like the join you guys on this trip if I get one in time.

Jecklen
10-04-2021, 09:19 PM

This sounds awesome. I'm in the Buckeye area.

alex_in_az
10-05-2021, 10:19 AM
I'm in

alex_in_az
10-06-2021, 11:56 AM
what does Nov 6th look like for everyone as a date for the ride?

calvarez
10-06-2021, 02:30 PM
Fine for me!

culcune
10-13-2021, 09:48 PM
I had seen a Bashan Storm for rent in the Phoenix area on Riders Share peer-to-peer bike rental. The guy is asking $56 for the day (discounted from $70 for first rental). "Perfect bike!" I thought for a ride with other Chinese bike enthusiasts. Well, here is the issue. They are asking me to pay insurance or decline. Declining coverage charges a $4600 deposit. If I take the insurance, it comes in 3 tiers. The lowest cost is $56/day BUT still puts a $3k hold as a deductible. The 'standard' tier is $60/day, but takes a $2000 deposit as a deductible. The 'premium' insurance is $67 for the day, but charges a $1100 hold as a deductible. I don't have $1100 that I can put on a hold is the problem. I do understand that motorcycle renting is a lot riskier than automobiles, but when I purchase the overpriced car insurance, I am assured that I can literally walk away from even a totaled car (no deductible). Purchasing the overpriced motorcycle insurance STILL puts me at least $1100 liability. I know prices of Bashans and all Chinese bikes in general has gone up, but I couldn't imagine other than a completely totaled or stolen Storm 250 it would come out to over $1100. Even still, why the heck would I pay $67 to also put down a $1100 deductible?? The daily rent is $56, and I am sure the private party who rents it does not get most of that (maybe they do?). At any rate, peer-to-peer rental would be a good idea for high-end motorcycles, but sub-$2k bikes it seems not worth it. For giggles, I put in a 5 day rental and the deductibles go way down to like $100, but the rental was closing in on $500.

calvarez
10-14-2021, 12:38 PM
Most of my credit cards cover the insurance on a rented car, now I should go look to see if motorcycles are included (or other things like an RV). Have you looked? This might just be free.

culcune
10-14-2021, 05:25 PM
Most of my credit cards cover the insurance on a rented car, now I should go look to see if motorcycles are included (or other things like an RV). Have you looked? This might just be free.

I thought of that, BUT they would want $4600 as a deposit (the decline part).

Emerikol
10-15-2021, 05:28 AM
It is absolutely insane to me that they want enough money as a deductible to buy TWO bikes to replace one wrecked bike. And that's all just physical damage to the bike, there's no mention of medical payments at all! It really is too bad I'm not out there anymore. Between the Hawk, DR and the Ural, I could loan out a couple bikes and really help some people out. Just for the record, though... I'm still finding Arizona dust all over the Ural! :lol:

Magician16
10-18-2021, 06:51 PM
I can't make the Nov. 6 date. I'm playing a tennis tournament.

superduder
11-03-2021, 04:21 AM
So, is this still happening?
I may be riding the slowest bike,
but I am ready.
J.