PDA

View Full Version : Ride to Wickenburg AZ, the back way

Pages : [1] 2

Musictrek
09-04-2019, 12:27 AM
If there's interest, I'm thinking about doing this group 250 ride like I did before by myself on my Hawk 250 back in March 2017. The ride is about 70 miles one way and it starts at around the city of Surprise Arizona and heads west through Buckeye AZ and on up to Wickenburg AZ. Its a mixed trail of pavement, dirt roads and some trail riding in the desert. The route passes by the Chrysler proving grounds, The Ford proving grounds and the Toyota proving grounds. Your bike will need to be street legal as some of the ride is on blacktop. Once in Wickenburg there are places to relax for lunch and then ride back. There is also primitive camping in Wickenburg and a trail system in that area. There are also gas stations to fill up. Grocery stores and gift shops. It's a small town with a western flair of gift shops and such. There is also the vulture mine tours that occur on various dates and times. Almost everyone that goes to Wickenburg and on to Vegas travels on Hwy 74. A two lane highway. We will be on this road for a short 3-4 miles then get off of it if starting from the ohv staging area. At the staging area before the ride starts is an OHV park, see the link I added. It has free camping! The trails there are more challenging than the planned ride to Wickenburg. The OHV park will serve as a staging area and camping for those that would travel from another state for this ride or even local Az residents. This also gives you the ability to stay longer and check out the OHV trail system if you like. The trails there will be more challenging. However, to stay at this park an OHV tag from the Arizona state game and fish dept. is required to ride on that trail system. The cost for resident and non-resident is 25.00 per year. I'll provide the link for that. If there is no interest in staging and camping for those that can, then an alternate staging area will be picked out and no OHV permit tag would be needed. So, for this ride, I'm looking at the calendar for this Nov 9th. I'll add some previous ride pics on this post. If anyone has interest in this, send me a heads up on what you would do. 1. camp at the OHV or 2. just meet at a staging area non fee area. Lets get the Hawks, Brozz, TBR's, Sharks, and all other 250 riders on a trail ride.
for the staging area
https://www.blm.gov/visit/search-details/262775/1

For the OHV tag
https://www.azgfd.com/ohv/decals/

Vulture mine tours in Wickenburg
http://www.vultureminetours.com/

Town site Wickenburg
https://outwickenburgway.com/

dh
09-04-2019, 12:57 AM
Very cool. Wickenburg is a neat town and that sounds like a great ride. Chrysler also has proving grounds in Yucca, AZ I believe. I do a fair amount of travel in AZ so I will tune in again if the timing is right. I have a free night to burn at a PHX hotel so if it works out I'd probably use that and meet at the trail head.

Musictrek
09-04-2019, 01:14 AM
Very cool. Wickenburg is a neat town and that sounds like a great ride. Chrysler also has proving grounds in Yucca, AZ I believe. I do a fair amount of travel in AZ so I will tune in again if the timing is right. I have a free night to burn at a PHX hotel so if it works out I'd probably use that and meet at the trail head. ok on that, the tail head is a good option. Let's see how many are interested in going.

Emerikol
09-04-2019, 07:18 AM
I can't make the second, but the 9th would be awesome! I'd be coming out of the Tolleson/Goodyear area, so getting up to Surprise would only take me 30-45 minutes or so. What can I do to help organize this shin-dig?

culcune
09-04-2019, 10:31 AM
I will hopefully have my bike by then. If not, would like to use my Subaru to find you guys at the camping spot, or somewhere up that way, and meet you all in person. I doubt my 151cc TGB scooter is up for the task, lol.

wedooit
09-04-2019, 10:58 AM
Fantastic idea! If we were closer we would go!!! My folks years ago lived in Yuma, and we have been to Wickenburg several times years ago, but never knew any or visited the history.

Musictrek
09-04-2019, 11:09 AM
I can't make the second, but the 9th would be awesome! I'd be coming out of the Tolleson/Goodyear area, so getting up to Surprise would only take me 30-45 minutes or so. What can I do to help organize this shin-dig?
Ok let's set the date for the 9th of Nov, I'll update the invite. The staging area will depend on if we have riders wanting to camp at the ohv. I wont be camping as I can just ride up to meet up with other riders. If we get riders camping I will ride up the the park and lead them to a second staging area that you could be parked at. That would help.

Musictrek
09-04-2019, 11:12 AM
Fantastic idea! If we were closer we would go!!! My folks years ago lived in Yuma, and we have been to Wickenburg several times years ago, but never knew any or visited the history.

It's a great ride for a Hawk

Musictrek
09-04-2019, 11:13 AM
I will hopefully have my bike by then. If not, would like to use my Subaru to find you guys at the camping spot, or somewhere up that way, and meet you all in person. I doubt my 151cc TGB scooter is up for the task, lol.
Ok, the Subaru should be able to make it all the way

paulsstag
09-04-2019, 01:38 PM
Ok, the Subaru should be able to make it all the way

Sounds like a great ride, i'm about 6 hours away , but might be able to swing the 9th Nov ? I'll keep this on my radar and hope i can make it.

Musictrek
09-04-2019, 02:46 PM
Sounds like a great ride, i'm about 6 hours away , but might be able to swing the 9th Nov ? I'll keep this on my radar and hope i can make it.
Ok sound good. More info will develop closer to the ride date

Musictrek
09-07-2019, 10:31 AM
Facebook post now.

https://www.facebook.com/250-Ride-to-Wickenburg-Nov-9th-2019-101626297893710/?modal=admin_todo_tour

alex_in_az
09-16-2019, 11:26 AM
Facebook post now.

https://www.facebook.com/250-Ride-to-Wickenburg-Nov-9th-2019-101626297893710/?modal=admin_todo_tour
I might be up for this depending on when my TBR7 gets here. If my bike is road registered, do I need OHV tags as well?
Also is there a non-facebook link for this since I don't have a FB account?

Musictrek
09-17-2019, 12:33 AM
I might be up for this depending on when my TBR7 gets here. If my bike is road registered, do I need OHV tags as well?
Also is there a non-facebook link for this since I don't have a FB account? The OHV tag is only needed if you decide to ride the trails at the OHV park. The facebook is just paralleled information to this group. all updates will occur here as well as FB.

alex_in_az
09-19-2019, 02:39 PM
The OHV tag is only needed if you decide to ride the trails at the OHV park. The facebook is just paralleled information to this group. all updates will occur here as well as FB.
my bike arrived yesterday, so I'm definitely in

Musictrek
09-21-2019, 10:21 PM
my bike arrived yesterday, so I'm definitely in

ok sounds good. I did a pre ride today to make sure some areas are not closed off to new housing starts

Musictrek
09-21-2019, 10:26 PM
brozz got dirty today. doing a pre ride check for wickenburg of some of the trip today. stock tires handle the gravel roads good.

Emerikol
09-22-2019, 07:59 AM
I'm trying to talk my riding buddy from Georgia to come out and do this trip, too. I'll loan him one of my bikes to ride, and we'll make an outing of it. That means that one of us will be on the DR, but I don't think anyone will really mind that. Really looking forward to this ride.

Musictrek
09-22-2019, 11:56 AM
I'm trying to talk my riding buddy from Georgia to come out and do this trip, too. I'll loan him one of my bikes to ride, and we'll make an outing of it. That means that one of us will be on the DR, but I don't think anyone will really mind that. Really looking forward to this ride.
Great! Its a good ride for the 250's and the DR is no problem. your friend might like the desert views. Its nothing technical but some spots are loose gravel/sand. Nothing major but it keeps me alert as always.

Emerikol
09-22-2019, 08:20 PM
Great! Its a good ride for the 250's and the DR is no problem. your friend might like the desert views. Its nothing technical but some spots are loose gravel/sand. Nothing major but it keeps me alert as always.

He's been out a few times. I'm trying to get him to move out here. We're both pilots and the flying WX out here is so much better than it is back in Georgia. We're giving some thought to buying an airplane or two and starting a flight school. He's working on his CFI, and I just need to get current again and go for a couple of proficiency flights to get my ticket caught back up. In any event, not sure if he'll be able to make it out here yet, but I'm trying like hell to get him on a flight.

culcune
09-22-2019, 09:50 PM
If you fly to Yuma, let me know. I am back here for good, now, ready to start my new/old job tomorrow morning. I can now order any Chinese bike and get it street plated once again!!

Musictrek
09-22-2019, 11:23 PM
He's been out a few times. I'm trying to get him to move out here. We're both pilots and the flying WX out here is so much better than it is back in Georgia. We're giving some thought to buying an airplane or two and starting a flight school. He's working on his CFI, and I just need to get current again and go for a couple of proficiency flights to get my ticket caught back up. In any event, not sure if he'll be able to make it out here yet, but I'm trying like hell to get him on a flight. I'm only a RC pilot. I have a few planes in my hanger. My latest has full LED lights for dusk flying. Luke has an aux runway just north of surprise Az. I rode up on a military practice of some sort just outside the runway a couple years ago. They were armed and I was like get the heck out of here on my Hawk. If he doesn't make it he'll just have to watch the ride videos later. I'll have my goPro clone with me.

alex_in_az
09-23-2019, 01:32 PM
brozz got dirty today. doing a pre ride check for wickenburg of some of the trip today. stock tires handle the gravel roads good.
where's you get the saddle bags from, and is there some kind of support to keep them out of the wheel?

Emerikol
09-23-2019, 10:11 PM
Culcune, I have only flown a handful of times since we're out here. Just enough to keep the paperwork current. I have to find a flight surgeon out here to do my flight physical before I turn 40 in December. Once you're over 40, a flight physical is only good for 2 years. Before you're 40 it's good for 5 years. Haven't really done much to get the ball rolling in that direction, though. I've been super busy with a 2 year old and the move and such. I also just changed jobs, so that's another time-suck there.

Musictrek
09-23-2019, 11:50 PM
where's you get the saddle bags from, and is there some kind of support to keep them out of the wheel? I picked them up on Amazon. They stay put once you strap them down. At first, I put the seat straps under the seat for a clean look. But, it put the left bag down too low to dangle. The right was ok on the muffler shield. So, I have the two straps on the top of the seat and the bags don't move at all into the wheel. They really couldn't be any better for the 250 bikes.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000012670-Motorcycle-Saddle-Bag/dp/B006JMKJ5E/ref=as_sl_pc_qf_sp_asin_til?tag=radpaul-20&linkCode=w00&linkId=f0c0dc7da288776fd8aa08d6016f022a&creativeASIN=B006JMKJ5E

culcune
09-28-2019, 12:07 AM
I may or may not have a bike for the ride. I mentioned my Subaru which you think might be doable, but I didn't mention it is an Impreza car, and in no way has any of the off-roadish features like found on an Outback or even that newer model, the Crosstrek, has. So, I figured I would trade my son that weekend for his Tacoma pickup as he complains about the crappy gas mileage he gets. This is assuming I won't have a bike by then, which is probably more likely the case. So, the good thing is we have a truck. The only glitch is my son might be working in Florence, so I would have to drive out that way from Yuma to trade vehicles before the ride. I really hope I have a bike by then...

cheesy
09-28-2019, 07:06 AM
Sounds like fun, guys.

Emerikol
09-28-2019, 01:51 PM
Sounds like fun, guys.

Want to come out for the ride? Out here in the desert, there's no snow on the ground in November. Might be a novel thing for you to see, coming from Chicago as you do... :lmao:

Musictrek
09-28-2019, 04:42 PM
checked the trails out today. The views are awesome! Depending on rider experience and wanting to do some hills with possibility of laying the bike down I have mapped out two different routes. A easy route and a moderate route the bikes can handle. The bikes can do it and I have.

cheesy
09-28-2019, 06:58 PM
Want to come out for the ride? Out here in the desert, there's no snow on the ground in November. Might be a novel thing for you to see, coming from Chicago as you do... :lmao:

If only...

BTW, it's a crapshoot here in November. Could be mowing the lawn on Saturday, could be shoveling snow on Sunday.

Emerikol
09-29-2019, 12:30 AM
If only...

BTW, it's a crapshoot here in November. Could be mowing the lawn on Saturday, could be shoveling snow on Sunday.

Well, if you want to make your way out here (perhaps even with the Missus), I have a Ural stashed somewhere in the garage you're welcome to use.

Musictrek
09-29-2019, 12:32 AM
I may or may not have a bike for the ride. I mentioned my Subaru which you think might be doable, but I didn't mention it is an Impreza car, and in no way has any of the off-roadish features like found on an Outback or even that newer model, the Crosstrek, has. So, I figured I would trade my son that weekend for his Tacoma pickup as he complains about the crappy gas mileage he gets. This is assuming I won't have a bike by then, which is probably more likely the case. So, the good thing is we have a truck. The only glitch is my son might be working in Florence, so I would have to drive out that way from Yuma to trade vehicles before the ride. I really hope I have a bike by then... I think the car would make the easy route. There are a few washes though that depending on ground clearance If you want to chance that.

Musictrek
09-29-2019, 12:44 AM
From the planned staging area to meetup. The ride from that location to Wickenburg is about 48 miles one way. It will take about 2 hours to reach Wickenburg on the planned route. Today I did a full loop and my mileage was about 112 miles round trip. One tank of gas no problem.

alex_in_az
09-30-2019, 03:29 PM
From the planned staging area to meetup. The ride from that location to Wickenburg is about 48 miles one way. It will take about 2 hours to reach Wickenburg on the planned route. Today I did a full loop and my mileage was about 112 miles round trip. One tank of gas no problem.
I was out that way on saturday morning, I have a 2 acre plot of land about 7 miles south of wickenburg that we're going to build on. it looks a lot like the 3rd picture you posted, the occotillos were very green

Emerikol
09-30-2019, 10:19 PM
Really looking forward to this ride.

culcune
09-30-2019, 11:06 PM
I doubt I will have my bike by the ride, BUT I look forward to meeting you guys in person! :tup:

Emerikol
09-30-2019, 11:28 PM
I doubt I will have my bike by the ride, BUT I look forward to meeting you guys in person! :tup:

So far the Hawk and DR are spoken for. If you don't have a two-wheeled conveyance by then, and want to do the ride on two wheels, let me know. I may drag the Ural out on the trip, let you ride the Hawk, and my buddy will hop on the DR. You would have to come down to Southwest Phoenix and pick the Hawk up, though. I don't have a means to drag all the bikes up there. Cheesy also has an open invitation to commandeer the Ural, but I'm not sure if he's up to making the trip out this way for a day's worth of riding.

culcune
10-01-2019, 12:20 AM
I REALLY appreciate the offer, but hate the idea of laying someone's bike down. I really don't mind doing the run in my car (actually, probably will hate that) or my son's pickup (would MUCH prefer that). :tup:

wedooit
10-01-2019, 11:31 AM
Great pictures!!!! Thanks for sharing!!! When my folks lived in Yuma, I wanted to explore around the area, but didn't have a chance.

Musictrek
10-02-2019, 12:31 PM
I was out that way on saturday morning, I have a 2 acre plot of land about 7 miles south of wickenburg that we're going to build on. it looks a lot like the 3rd picture you posted, the occotillos were very green
it was super green! must have got some good rain last week

Musictrek
10-02-2019, 12:34 PM
I REALLY appreciate the offer, but hate the idea of laying someone's bike down. I really don't mind doing the run in my car (actually, probably will hate that) or my son's pickup (would MUCH prefer that). :tup: it might be wise to keep to the easy trail route as the rider skills is beginner level. im definitelynot a prfessional rider and will lay a hawk or brozz down either due to loose sand or picking a line and not able to hold it and run into trouble.

Musictrek
10-02-2019, 12:50 PM
Based on recent ride time i already did. we can start the ride from a meetup location not so early. probably 8 or 9am instead of 6am

alex_in_az
10-02-2019, 12:55 PM
it might be wise to keep to the easy trail route as the rider skills is beginner level. im definitelynot a prfessional rider and will lay a hawk or brozz down either due to loose sand or picking a line and not able to hold it and run into trouble.
good idea, I'm most definitely a beginner:)

Emerikol
10-03-2019, 09:38 PM
Based on recent ride time i already did. we can start the ride from a meetup location not so early. probably 8 or 9am instead of 6am

Music, have you put together an itinerary for the ride yet? Meet at this location at such and such time, roll out at this time, x-time for the ride to Wickenburg, Lunch at such and such place, then ride back at this time? I think that would be a big help for planning purposes, and I'm happy to help out with anything you need.

Musictrek
10-04-2019, 10:42 AM
Music, have you put together an itinerary for the ride yet? Meet at this location at such and such time, roll out at this time, x-time for the ride to Wickenburg, Lunch at such and such place, then ride back at this time? I think that would be a big help for planning purposes, and I'm happy to help out with anything you need.
i have that info and i was waiting to see if there was any riders going to camp at the HOVpark. it looks like no riders for that. So, it will be easier anyway to go ahead and setup only the one metup staging location. is there anyone that will be trailuring their bike to a meetup staging location? i will just be riding my bike all the way.

Musictrek
10-04-2019, 10:51 AM
good idea, I'm most definitely a beginner:)
ok sounds good. this is a very enjoyable ride for these bikes with very little road traffic if not any.

alex_in_az
10-05-2019, 10:21 AM
i have that info and i was waiting to see if there was any riders going to camp at the HOVpark. it looks like no riders for that. So, it will be easier anyway to go ahead and setup only the one metup staging location. is there anyone that will be trailuring their bike to a meetup staging location? i will just be riding my bike all the way.
I might be trailering my bike in, haven't decided yet

Musictrek
10-05-2019, 06:30 PM
I might be trailering my bike in, haven't decided yet
ok, i will get a google earth photo shot of a staging location that people use to park n ride

Musictrek
10-06-2019, 03:33 AM
Hello all that want to ride the ride to Wickenburg Nov 9th. Here is the staging area on the map attached. The temps last year were really good last year. So, riders meet at the staging location at 9am and we will start the ride at 9:30am. The staging location is right off of Sun Valley Parkway which is basically bell rd.
33°39'40.95"N
112°31'45.81"W
Just right before outside of town in Surprise there is a place called Riverboat Casino which is on bell rd. From that location driving west on bell go about 5 miles to the turn off to the staging location. Estimated time for the ride is 2 to 2 1/2hrs one way. We can end for lunch at the Hamburger joint called Screamers drive in and check out the town if those want to. If those want to check out the vulture mine on the way back that is also an option. This will be a long ride and when I got home last time I got a good nap!

Musictrek
10-06-2019, 03:34 AM
big map18739

Musictrek
10-06-2019, 03:52 AM
maps a little more clear on Face book

Musictrek
10-06-2019, 03:54 AM
avg temp for the ride last year

dh
10-06-2019, 12:47 PM
So far the Hawk and DR are spoken for. If you don't have a two-wheeled conveyance by then, and want to do the ride on two wheels, let me know. I may drag the Ural out on the trip, let you ride the Hawk, and my buddy will hop on the DR. You would have to come down to Southwest Phoenix and pick the Hawk up, though. I don't have a means to drag all the bikes up there. Cheesy also has an open invitation to commandeer the Ural, but I'm not sure if he's up to making the trip out this way for a day's worth of riding.

Culcune I hope you take the offer! This looks like a great ride.

PeaceSportsAtlanta
10-10-2019, 02:57 PM
@musictrek

If you get time, Make a video showing how you have your bike set up and where you got the stuff. Looks like you got alot on your bike that I did not send it with. :clap: There is still a lot of speculation away from this forum if the Brozz is a capable/worthwhile machine.

Musictrek
10-11-2019, 12:44 AM
@musictrek

If you get time, Make a video showing how you have your bike set up and where you got the stuff. Looks like you got alot on your bike that I did not send it with. :clap: There is still a lot of speculation away from this forum if the Brozz is a capable/worthwhile machine.
I will do that soon. I p!an on doing a full length video of the trip! I did it back in 2017 on the hawk i had. The Brozz can do this ride with no problems.

alex_in_az
10-12-2019, 03:25 PM
Hello all that want to ride the ride to Wickenburg Nov 9th. Here is the staging area on the map attached. The temps last year were really good last year. So, riders meet at the staging location at 9am and we will start the ride at 9:30am. The staging location is right off of Sun Valley Parkway which is basically bell rd.
33°39'40.95"N
112°31'45.81"W
Just right before outside of town in Surprise there is a place called Riverboat Casino which is on bell rd. From that location driving west on bell go about 5 miles to the turn off to the staging location. Estimated time for the ride is 2 to 2 1/2hrs one way. We can end for lunch at the Hamburger joint called Screamers drive in and check out the town if those want to. If those want to check out the vulture mine on the way back that is also an option. This will be a long ride and when I got home last time I got a good nap!
I rode out to the staging area yesterday and rode some of the trails near it. The TBR7 was OK on most of them but has a tendacy to wash out the front end in the softer sand. Does the Hawk and Brozz have more aggressive tires that the TBR7?

Musictrek
10-15-2019, 08:59 PM
I rode out to the staging area yesterday and rode some of the trails near it. The TBR7 was OK on most of them but has a tendacy to wash out the front end in the softer sand. Does the Hawk and Brozz have more aggressive tires that the TBR7? I think the tires are the same 50/50 as the Brozz. I know my Hawk that I had had the bigger rim and dirt only tires front and back. I recently changed my fork oil to 15w as my shocks were a little bit soft for me. I also adjusted the spacer ring on my back mono shock and firmed it up a bit. Sand is just so much fun! not.

dh
10-18-2019, 12:15 PM
I knew it was time to do front brake pads but I pushed things too far and the front rotor is absolutely destroyed now. I have extra pads laying around so I thought I would just throw some on in the meantime, and stripped one of the caliper bolts in the process of rushing things with the impact driver. I have a spare caliper but no spare rotor (the bad one was new last year)

Out of habit I immediately ordered the new rotor on Taobao, although I probably should have ordered through SSR which would be way faster. Taobao usually estimates 25-60 days but I have received parts in 1-2 weeks in some cases. Hopefully the Chinese postal service can work some miracles for me!

alex_in_az
10-18-2019, 02:54 PM
What a re we doing for things like tools, spare parts etc? The one thing that scares me is running over a cholla or similar and getting a flat. Does the green slime stuff work at all or am I over thinking this?

Musictrek
10-18-2019, 03:36 PM
What a re we doing for things like tools, spare parts etc? The one thing that scares me is running over a cholla or similar and getting a flat. Does the green slime stuff work at all or am I over thinking this?
these tires are tough. when i made the run recently and the cholla just flew off and no stick. I've never put slime in the motorcycle tires only my bicycles. i didnt want any off balance issues. i wouldn't worry too much about it. wouldn't hurt to bring a patch kit and slime if it happened though. i have a can of fix a flat and air compressor and tools to take the wheels off. the route were going to take shoulnt be a problem with the tires. i have in the past brought an extra shift lever, extra tube, extra clutch cable, extra throttle cable, extra.spark plug, extra CDI, drone, clutch, brake lever. i think i went over kill. wont do all of that this time. i should find my extra shift lever though. so, bring something for the tires at least.

Musictrek
10-22-2019, 12:07 AM
I knew it was time to do front brake pads but I pushed things too far and the front rotor is absolutely destroyed now. I have extra pads laying around so I thought I would just throw some on in the meantime, and stripped one of the caliper bolts in the process of rushing things with the impact driver. I have a spare caliper but no spare rotor (the bad one was new last year)

Out of habit I immediately ordered the new rotor on Taobao, although I probably should have ordered through SSR which would be way faster. Taobao usually estimates 25-60 days but I have received parts in 1-2 weeks in some cases. Hopefully the Chinese postal service can work some miracles for me!
Well its better that it happened at home and not on the trail. The guy on youtube demoing a Brozz lost a caliper bolt and rode back to his truck carrying his caliper over the handlebars.
https://youtu.be/8MxinV4KBV8

alex_in_az
10-22-2019, 11:42 AM
Well its better that it happened at home and not on the trail. The guy on youtube demoing a Brozz lost a caliper bolt and rode back to his truck carrying his caliper over the handlebars.
https://youtu.be/8MxinV4KBV8
well, I think I know what I'm doing this weekend

JerryHawk250
10-22-2019, 12:53 PM

I had that happen last year while out riding in the spillway. I was lucky. We had stopped and my daughter got out her UTV and picked something up. She walked up to me with a bolt in her hand and asked me "what you think this is for?" I didn't know so put it in my pocket. When I rode back to the parking lot the brakes felt funny. When I looked down at the front brake I noticed the bolt missing.

Musictrek
10-22-2019, 03:46 PM
I had that happen last year while out riding in the spillway. I was lucky. We had stopped and my daughter got out her UTV and picked something up. She walked up to me with a bolt in her hand and asked me "what you think this is for?" I didn't know so put it in my pocket. When I rode back to the parking lot the brakes felt funny. When I looked down at the front brake I noticed the bolt missing. the needle in the haystack daughter has good eyes.

JerryHawk250
10-22-2019, 03:50 PM
the needle in the haystack daughter has good eyes. Yeah, I know. What's the chance of finding that bolt on a trail in the mud and sand?

culcune
10-22-2019, 08:00 PM

I will not have a bike for the ride, but should have my son's Tacoma. I am not sure about if I have tie-downs and I know I do not have a pickup truck ramp to roll bikes on or off, so if someone can bring those just in case we need them, we can have me as a backup truck. Throw all spare parts in the back of the truck.

Musictrek
10-23-2019, 02:16 PM
Yeah, I know. What's the chance of finding that bolt on a trail in the mud and sand?
Only with a metal detector!

Emerikol
10-23-2019, 09:38 PM
Just a thought to throw out there. For everyone that's going on this ride, it might be a really good idea to write down an emergency contact or two on a sheet of paper. We can swap them around, or maybe designate someone that's bringing more than two wheels to keep them safe. That way if something bad happens we have a way of getting in touch with the important people. I'm bringing a riding buddy who I've known for a coupe years, and he already has phone numbers for my wife and family. Just a bit of preparedness I'd like to throw out there. I'll also have some tools, a tire patch kit, and an air compressor, just in case.

Musictrek
10-26-2019, 01:19 AM
Just a thought to throw out there. For everyone that's going on this ride, it might be a really good idea to write down an emergency contact or two on a sheet of paper. We can swap them around, or maybe designate someone that's bringing more than two wheels to keep them safe. That way if something bad happens we have a way of getting in touch with the important people. I'm bringing a riding buddy who I've known for a coupe years, and he already has phone numbers for my wife and family. Just a bit of preparedness I'd like to throw out there. I'll also have some tools, a tire patch kit, and an air compressor, just in case.

That's a good idea and just incase someone takes a wrong turn. There will be many ways to go on this trail. My plan is we stick together on the ride to avoid any wrong turns.

dh
11-01-2019, 10:28 AM

Very good point! All the parts came in on Monday and I got excited, until I realized the new front rotor I ordered doesn't fit. I did some homework and learned I have 2 rotors for the next gen XF250 which uses a larger 290mm rotor :doh:. Now it's at the dealership, they say it might be ready next week.

Musictrek
11-02-2019, 02:07 PM
Well its one week away from the ride! The weather today is just perfect if it was today it would be just as good.

Musictrek
11-02-2019, 02:09 PM
Final one week away meeting location. I will get to the location at 9am

33°39'40.95"N
112°31'45.81"W

NzBrakelathes
11-02-2019, 06:25 PM
I’ll be there n I have some free gifts and a few products too if interested etc

culcune
11-02-2019, 07:15 PM
Final one week away meeting location. I will get to the location at 9am
The staging location is right off of Sun Valley Parkway which is basically bell rd.
33°39'40.95"N
112°31'45.81"W
Just right before outside of town in Surprise there is a place called Riverboat Casino which is on bell rd. From that location driving west on bell go about 5 miles to the turn off to the staging location.

Sun Valley and N. 219th Ave. correct? The coordinates on Google Maps show it as 'right there' off of Sun Valley. Maps shows the best route for me (coming from Gila Bend up 85) as going on I 10 east for a couple miles and taking Sun Valley and then looping around. easy peasy!!

Musictrek
11-02-2019, 11:41 PM
Sun Valley and N. 219th Ave. correct? The coordinates on Google Maps show it as 'right there' off of Sun Valley. Maps shows the best route for me (coming from Gila Bend up 85) as going on I 10 east for a couple miles and taking Sun Valley and then looping around. easy peasy!!

That is correct. The turn off is off of Sun Valley Parkway which turns into bell road the further east you go.

Musictrek
11-02-2019, 11:41 PM
I’ll be there n I have some free gifts and a few products too if interested etc

Free is always good. Will see you there.

alex_in_az
11-02-2019, 11:53 PM
Are we planning on taking a break half way thru or so? It might be a good idea so we could all have a break and get together and chit chat or whatever. I'm not a very experienced rider and I'm not sure how long I can ride for on the dirt.

Emerikol
11-03-2019, 02:28 AM
Music, can you post an overlay of the route we'll be taking? That way everyone has an idea of which way we'll be going from the meetup site to Wickenburg.

Musictrek
11-03-2019, 11:09 AM
Are we planning on taking a break half way thru or so? It might be a good idea so we could all have a break and get together and chit chat or whatever. I'm not a very experienced rider and I'm not sure how long I can ride for on the dirt.

its definitely not a race. Planned breaks we can do.

Musictrek
11-03-2019, 11:14 AM
Music, can you post an overlay of the route we'll be taking? That way everyone has an idea of which way we'll be going from the meetup site to Wickenburg.

I have the route on my GPS and will post some map pics before the ride here. I also have the gpx file for anyone that wants to download to a Garmin gps if they want. There is a little rural community with a bunch of right and left turns on the way and is easy take a wrong turn, but that wrong turn still takes you in the right direction so to speak.

Musictrek
11-03-2019, 12:27 PM
Here is the planned route file you can view in Google Earth

Musictrek
11-03-2019, 12:28 PM
The plan is to finish at the little car hop restaurant in Wickenburg.

Musictrek
11-03-2019, 12:47 PM
If you download Garmin's Basecamp you can view this file in the free software.
This is the gpx file.

alex_in_az
11-04-2019, 06:50 PM
I'm not smart enough to be able to figure that out:hmm:

culcune
11-04-2019, 09:36 PM
Bad-ish news; my son was gifted my father-in-law's pickup a couple years ago, a '97 Tacoma with extended cab. I was planning on taking that for the ride because I was also planning on bringing my youngest son as my older son works swing shift. When the truck was new, my father-in-law wanted to install what he felt would be the ultimate in alarms. The alarm box was hidden somewhere and the truck could not start without the FOB, and it always seemed to catch you off guard when it was working well. A coupe weeks ago, my son thought he lost the only FOB as there was only one since my father-in-law lost the backup one years ago. We felt it was time to get rid of the alarm once and for all. I tried finding it, and among the spaghetti of wires (he installed all kinds of external off-road lights--the kind long before the new trend of LED strips) could not figure it out. Well, even without pulling anything or cutting any wire, my son found the FOB, but the alarm is now a little crazy (I wondered if my father-in-law's alarm installer made it where if you touch a wire if will sabotage the alarm). The truck has to have the negative cable pulled, or else the alarm, very quiet for some odd reason now as opposed to its super-loud siren, will keep going. When my son drives it to work, he puts the cable back on the battery, a very subdued alarms starts to make noises, he holds the FOB button down and keeps pressing it (the FOB was broken and is taped up, so the plastic starts to threaten to break apart) and even with a subdued siren, when the red light illuminates on the FOB you can then start the truck up. My son has it down to a science--my fear is I would break the one and only FOB or something else and then the truck won't start. I will play with it this week to see if I can get comfortable getting the truck to start, but if not, I will take my Impreza instead. I won't be able to carry a bike, but I will still be able to carry stuff. Again, if I get comfortable with the truck, I will let you all know and will drive that. If not, I will drive my car, and will also let you all know. Cross your fingers...

franque
11-05-2019, 02:51 AM
I had something like that with a Corolla... To work on it, I disconnected the horn, and then, knowing that I might be required to spend a week or two on the wiring, disconnected everything that looked like it had been added to the car, and voila, the car worked perfectly fine! I was surprised and blessed, it ended up being really easy!

Musictrek
11-05-2019, 09:53 AM
Bad-ish news; my son was gifted my father-in-law's pickup a couple years ago, a '97 Tacoma with extended cab. I was planning on taking that for the ride because I was also planning on bringing my youngest son as my older son works swing shift. When the truck was new, my father-in-law wanted to install what he felt would be the ultimate in alarms. The alarm box was hidden somewhere and the truck could not start without the FOB, and it always seemed to catch you off guard when it was working well. A coupe weeks ago, my son thought he lost the only FOB as there was only one since my father-in-law lost the backup one years ago. We felt it was time to get rid of the alarm once and for all. I tried finding it, and among the spaghetti of wires (he installed all kinds of external off-road lights--the kind long before the new trend of LED strips) could not figure it out. Well, even without pulling anything or cutting any wire, my son found the FOB, but the alarm is now a little crazy (I wondered if my father-in-law's alarm installer made it where if you touch a wire if will sabotage the alarm). The truck has to have the negative cable pulled, or else the alarm, very quiet for some odd reason now as opposed to its super-loud siren, will keep going. When my son drives it to work, he puts the cable back on the battery, a very subdued alarms starts to make noises, he holds the FOB button down and keeps pressing it (the FOB was broken and is taped up, so the plastic starts to threaten to break apart) and even with a subdued siren, when the red light illuminates on the FOB you can then start the truck up. My son has it down to a science--my fear is I would break the one and only FOB or something else and then the truck won't start. I will play with it this week to see if I can get comfortable getting the truck to start, but if not, I will take my Impreza instead. I won't be able to carry a bike, but I will still be able to carry stuff. Again, if I get comfortable with the truck, I will let you all know and will drive that. If not, I will drive my car, and will also let you all know. Cross your fingers...
It does sound like a wiring nightmare to figure out. I trigged the alarm on the Brozz and completely forgot that I set it minutes before.

Musictrek
11-05-2019, 10:59 PM
Looks like the weather so far is going to hold out on the slightly warm side on the way back. It's still looking like some good riding weather. Hopefully this rain on Wed comes and goes out quickly.

alex_in_az
11-06-2019, 08:27 AM
Looks like the weather so far is going to hold out on the slightly warm side on the way back. It's still looking like some good riding weather. Hopefully this rain on Wed comes and goes out quickly.
I think the rain is happening more to the east, it sure smelled like rain when I left home this morning in north glendale

JerryHawk250
11-07-2019, 09:27 AM
I wish I could get some time off and go ride with you guys. Sure would like to meet all of you in person.

NzBrakelathes
11-07-2019, 09:36 AM
I’m in Vegas going to north Phoenix today!
Hit me up if you want need something or assistance or just a chat
Phone number in my visitors message area

Musictrek
11-07-2019, 11:24 PM
I wish I could get some time off and go ride with you guys. Sure would like to meet all of you in person.
Well maybe sometime in your neck of the woods setup a ride. I know It is long shot to plan to attend from out of state. I would have the same difficultly. I'll do some video of the ride and our bikes when I can. The weather has gotten warm for the weekend. With a expected low of 62 degrees in the early Sat morning. It will be around 70 by the time the ride starts. A little warm coming back to the staging area with a high expected of 84 degrees. Wickenburg is slightly higher elevation so going there the weather will be pretty good.

JerryHawk250
11-08-2019, 08:10 AM
Well maybe sometime in your neck of the woods setup a ride. I know It is long shot to plan to attend from out of state. I would have the same difficultly. I'll do some video of the ride and our bikes when I can. The weather has gotten warm for the weekend. With a expected low of 62 degrees in the early Sat morning. It will be around 70 by the time the ride starts. A little warm coming back to the staging area with a high expected of 84 degrees. Wickenburg is slightly higher elevation so going there the weather will be pretty good.

Well we have the perfect place just north of me. 2600+ acres with 40+ miles of trails. RV parking, cabins to rent or rough it in a tent. All off road and open to ATV's, UTV,s and bikes.

The weather there sounds like typical fall or spring weather here. Perfect riding weather for me. lol This year I think we skipped fall. Went from mid 90's to 30's and 40'. Yesterday it was in the 80's. Today 60's and next week it will be in the low 30' and 40's. :crazy:

I'm sure you guys will have fun. And yes please shoot plenty videos and post.

Musictrek
11-08-2019, 09:22 PM
Well we have the perfect place just north of me. 2600+ acres with 40+ miles of trails. RV parking, cabins to rent or rough it in a tent. All off road and open to ATV's, UTV,s and bikes.

The weather there sounds like typical fall or spring weather here. Perfect riding weather for me. lol This year I think we skipped fall. Went from mid 90's to 30's and 40'. Yesterday it was in the 80's. Today 60's and next week it will be in the low 30' and 40's. :crazy:

I'm sure you guys will have fun. And yes please shoot plenty videos and post.

Sounds like a good place to ride and camp!

Musictrek
11-08-2019, 09:23 PM
Sat temps at 9am. I just watched the news and it was forcasted to be 72 degrees at 9am!

culcune
11-08-2019, 09:46 PM
Crap...no go with my son's pickup. Hopefully Subaru Impreza chase vehicle will work out?!

alex_in_az
11-09-2019, 08:44 AM
Sat temps at 9am. I just watched the news and it was forcasted to be 72 degrees at 9am!
Looks like I'll be removing layers out of my jacket as the day progresses

paulsstag
11-09-2019, 08:56 AM
Wishing all of the riders and helpers a safe and fun journey today :tup:

I'm over in the next state of New Mexico and was hoping to attend but work commitments got in the way ( people shortages ) so could not get yesterday off to get out that way:shrug:

I do hope this type of ride can be repeated all over so that we might meet fellow chinariders and experience some different areas of the country

Keep the shiny side up but most importantly have fun.

Paul

Musictrek
11-09-2019, 09:42 AM
Looks like I'll be removing layers out of my jacket as the day progresses

The weather is confusing me. start out maybe a sweatshirt then layers come off as we go

Musictrek
11-09-2019, 09:44 AM
Wishing all of the riders and helpers a safe and fun journey today :tup:

I'm over in the next state of New Mexico and was hoping to attend but work commitments got in the way ( people shortages ) so could not get yesterday off to get out that way:shrug:

I do hope this type of ride can be repeated all over so that we might meet fellow chinariders and experience some different areas of the country

Keep the shiny side up but most importantly have fun.

Paul

With good planning I think rides all over is doable. I guess labor shortage is at a 50 year low. maybe next time for a group ride.

alex_in_az
11-09-2019, 06:30 PM
Made it home without serious issues. Thanks again guys for your help and patience. Alex

Emerikol
11-09-2019, 07:24 PM
Glad to hear it, Alex. It was great to get to meet you today, and I hope that you still had fun in spite of the troubles. Keep us posted on how it goes working through the run/idle issues.

culcune
11-09-2019, 09:52 PM
Made it home without serious issues. Thanks again guys for your help and patience. Alex

NZBrakelathes has your parts. He is still in the area, so I figured it would be best to have him take them.

culcune
11-09-2019, 09:55 PM
Dusty Desert

Musictrek
11-09-2019, 10:34 PM

I'm happy that you made it home ok and everyone stayed safe on the trail! This was a great adventure ride! Even with issues we as a group fixed and made it all work out in the end. Thank you for going on this ride! I have some video to post later.

Musictrek
11-09-2019, 10:36 PM
NZBrakelathes has your parts. He is still in the area, so I figured it would be best to have him take them.

Nice meeting you and thank you for joining us on the adventure and your Subaru made it through it all!

Musictrek
11-09-2019, 10:38 PM
Glad to hear it, Alex. It was great to get to meet you today, and I hope that you still had fun in spite of the troubles. Keep us posted on how it goes working through the run/idle issues.

Nice meeting you and thank you too for joining this adventure ride!

Musictrek
11-09-2019, 10:42 PM
A few pics on the ride to Wickenburg.

Musictrek
11-09-2019, 10:44 PM
more Wickenburg pics

culcune
11-09-2019, 11:09 PM
Thanks for lunch, Alex!

Musictrek
11-09-2019, 11:14 PM
Thanks for lunch, Alex!
Oh yes! thank you Alex for lunch!

alex_in_az
11-09-2019, 11:22 PM
I'm happy that you made it home ok and everyone stayed safe on the trail! This was a great adventure ride! Even with issues we as a group fixed and made it all work out in the end. Thank you for going on this ride! I have some video to post later.

You guys were such a solid bunch, it was an honor riding with you. Everyone rallied round and pitched in to solve my problems. I really enjoyed the riding when we were rolling, I just need to work on the bikes reliability

cheesy
11-10-2019, 08:15 AM
If there wasn’t some adversity somewhere along the journey, the journey would not be remembered.

culcune
11-10-2019, 11:51 AM
If you look closely, this was the large thorn in Alex's side, er, front tire!

Musictrek
11-10-2019, 01:24 PM
If you look closely, this was the large thorn in Alex's side, er, front tire!

I'm glad the patch held that big hole in the tube!

Musictrek
11-10-2019, 03:54 PM
On this video I didn't get much of the trail due to my bike bag in the way. But, in the video shows how we all come together to fix a TBR and that makes some good times together to remember.

https://youtu.be/ffc5E5Sy_1w

alex_in_az
11-10-2019, 05:19 PM
I'm glad the patch held that big hole in the tube!
That patch kit was the real MVP, where did you get it from?
So today I changed the oil and reset the valves to .003". I'm seriously thinking about ditching the whole air box away and having the crankcase vent onto the chain. I liked the look of your UNI filter, do you know which model it is?

Musictrek
11-10-2019, 10:56 PM
So today I changed the oil and reset the valves to .003". I'm seriously thinking about ditching the whole air box away and having the crankcase vent onto the chain. I liked the look of your UNI filter, do you know which model it is?

I just picked up the patch kit the day before at Walmart. There in the automotive isle. I think Alex had the uni filter on the Hawk. I'm still using my stock air box on the Brozz

JerryHawk250
11-11-2019, 07:49 AM
I carry a patch kit, tire tools and a small hand pump in my burrito tube. This is a situation were a center stand will come in handy. I couldn't find any available to fit the hawk so I ended up fabricating my own.

JerryHawk250
11-11-2019, 07:50 AM
On this video I didn't get much of the trail due to my bike bag in the way. But, in the video shows how we all come together to fix a TBR and that makes some good times together to remember.

https://youtu.be/ffc5E5Sy_1w

Looks like you guys had a good time. The flat tire is all part of the adventure.

OneLeggedRider
11-11-2019, 11:43 AM
Definitely looks like a good time, what was the temperature outside?

One thing struck me as funny, on every China bike video ever posted there's liberal use of the throttle on take off lol. I've owned alot of bikes that you wouldn't want to do that on. On my Scrambler 400 that's asking for trouble. 😳😅

JerryHawk250
11-11-2019, 11:49 AM
One thing struck me as funny, on every China bike video ever posted there's liberal use of the throttle on take off lol. I've owned alot of bikes that you wouldn't want to do that on. :) That's what's so much fun about these bikes. They got just enough power to enjoy them but not to much power to hurt yourself. Well except in your case. :lmao: Just saying. lol Look at it this way. It didn't kill ya. ;) Glad to see you're making a good recovery. :tup:

OneLeggedRider
11-11-2019, 12:04 PM
That's what's so much fun about these bikes. They got just enough power to enjoy them but not to much power to hurt yourself. Well except in your case. :lmao: Just saying. lol Look at it this way. It didn't kill ya. ;) Glad to see you're making a good recovery. :tup:

Where there's a will.. :lmao: I'm walking every other day now, my knee can't take every day yet. But it's nice to be able to leave the house without a walker or wheelchair. If the knee was just a little bit stronger I would attempt a spin on the Hawk. :tup:

culcune
11-11-2019, 02:24 PM
It was in the mid/low 80s. Got slightly cooler (low 80s) as the elevation rose by the time we got to Wickenburg.

Musictrek
11-11-2019, 03:27 PM
That's what's so much fun about these bikes. They got just enough power to enjoy them but not to much power to hurt yourself. Well except in your case. :lmao: Just saying. lol Look at it this way. It didn't kill ya. ;) Glad to see you're making a good recovery. :tup:
if i was on a dr 650 i probably would have ripped the throttle off my hands by now. your right the little 250 keeps my hands attached to the handlebars

Emerikol
11-11-2019, 06:26 PM
if i was on a dr 650 i probably would have ripped the throttle off my hands by now. your right the little 250 keeps my hands attached to the handlebars

If you were on a DR your hips would still be hurting from trying to keep that monster mostly upright in all that sand. :ohno: It did however tractor right over the hills and climbs.

culcune
11-11-2019, 07:20 PM

I was offered to ride the DR before we left the parking area. I did not come prepared to ride anything, so only had on some old Skecher slip on shoes. My daughter calls them 'dad shoes.' Not only that, I am short. I tried to get a balance, and with my height, but more so my very inappropriate shoes, was not comfortable on it and envisioned dropping the mighty beast, so got off. He then offered his Hawk. Much more my height and I was very comfortable holding it up in SPITE of my shoes. More impressive was how smooth and linear the power was and sound thanks to carb, sprockets, and exhaust. I am 5' 7" (maybe shrinking), and I could ride it no problem. Someone my height wondering if they could realiistically own one; with footware and getting used to using your toes to hold the bike up, one could.

Edit: Forgot to mention, Tako and I clocked the three of you on the 60 at 60 mph. There was a several second bit where the three of you hit an indicated (on my speedo) 65. Tako got out his phone and used his GPS for the 303 freeway and clocked you guys holding steady at 63 mph until we and Musictrek exited at Bell.

Musictrek
11-11-2019, 07:30 PM
If you were on a DR your hips would still be hurting from trying to keep that monster mostly upright in all that sand. :ohno: It did however tractor right over the hills and climbs.

I believe you and with plenty of power to drag my legs on the cactus!

Musictrek
11-11-2019, 07:34 PM
I was offered to ride the DR before we left the parking area. I did not come prepared to ride anything, so only had on some old Skecher slip on shoes. My daughter calls them 'dad shoes.' Not only that, I am short. I tried to get a balance, and with my height, but more so my very inappropriate shoes, was not comfortable on it and envisioned dropping the mighty beast, so got off. He then offered his Hawk. Much more my height and I was very comfortable holding it up in SPITE of my shoes. More impressive was how smooth and linear the power was and sound thanks to carb, sprockets, and exhaust. I am 5' 7" (maybe shrinking), and I could ride it no problem. Someone my height wondering if they could realiistically own one; with footware and getting used to using your toes to hold the bike up, one could.

Edit: Forgot to mention, Tako and I clocked the three of you on the 60 at 60 mph. There was a several second bit where the three of you hit an indicated (on my speedo) 65. Tako got out his phone and used his GPS for the 303 freeway and clocked you guys holding steady at 63 mph until we and Musictrek exited at Bell.

Those speeds you indicated are what I was expecting as my speedo shown a max speed of 71 when the 18 wheeler passed me and I was drafting right behind him lol. My speedo is off by at least 5mph at those speeds. The Brozz just hummed along though at those speeds.

ikeus685
11-16-2019, 12:31 PM
[QUOTE=culcune;323518]I was offered to ride the DR before we left the parking area. I did not come prepared to ride anything, so only had on some old Skecher slip on shoes. My daughter calls them 'dad shoes.' Not only that, I am short. I tried to get a balance, and with my height, but more so my very inappropriate shoes, was not comfortable on it and envisioned dropping the mighty beast, so got off. He then offered his Hawk. Much more my height and I was very comfortable holding it up in SPITE of my shoes. More impressive was how smooth and linear the power was and sound thanks to carb, sprockets, and exhaust. I am 5' 7" (maybe shrinking), and I could ride it no problem. Someone my height wondering if they could realiistically own one; with footware and getting used to using your toes to hold the bike up, one could.

Was at a near by big 3 dealer and just happened to be checking a bike out near an African Twin. Went over and stood by it as a major milestone in my
life pasted me by..sniff.. I wouldn't even attempt to swing a leg.over it.:cry:

alex_in_az
11-16-2019, 02:27 PM
Looks like the CDI unit was the problem, I ordered a new one from Tao Tao spares and fitted it this morning. It started up OK cold as usual and I held it at a fast idle for about 30 seconds before taking off. I then rode for about 30 minutes or so in mixed traffic, including a blast on the freeway, with no issues. this would have been enough time for it to have started acting up, so I'll keep an eye on things and see how it goes. I was able to repeatedly shut the engine off and easily re-start.
I fitted the digital cluster and took Tako's advice of running a seperate ground wire for it. This seems to have done the trick and the unit isn't constantly re-booting when riding.

culcune
11-16-2019, 08:04 PM
I had bought a used 2009 TMEC Enduro 200, and after 2 years/12k miles of daily commuting, upgraded to a brand new 2013 TMEC 200 Enduro. After several hundred miles, I had the same starting problem as you. I had learned from my 2009 TMEC to have a spare spark plug, pre-gapped, which had solved something similar with that bike. I swapped the spark plug, but same problem. The bike died on my outside the main prison gate on the way to work. My coworker who worked on the same unit, gave me a ride to the unit, and on the way out of work, I asked to stop to see if the bike would start. No dice. Got home, and coincidentally, someone from Europe was having a similar issue with their Skyteam dual sport (I think it was the model that looks like the Suzuki VanVan. Someone mentioned the CDI. I figured, "What the heck?!" I still had my 2009 bike in kind of pieces, and took off the CDI. My coworker gave me a ride the next morning. I hopped out of the car at the front gate (I had left it outside), popped in the CDi, and voila! She started right up. My friend who owned Excalibur Motorsports (the outfit distributing the TMEC at the time) sent me a new CDI. I found it ironic that in the two years and 12000 miles I owned the old bike, the CDI was fine, but the new one and a few hundred miles, the CDI went out. The consensus here on Chinariders is that is the nature of them--they can be hit or miss. I did install the new CDI, and I think I bought one as well as a backup to the backup (I might still have it?!--sorry, I didn't think to send it to you), and never had any issues with the CDI again. Glad you found the problem!

Emerikol
11-19-2019, 05:53 AM
Alex, glad you got to the bottom of the problem. Well team, when is the next ride? I'm off all this week (hopefully getting the classic CB450 back together) and will be around trying to get the garage sorted out, if anyone would like to drop by for a chat or adult beverage. Hope everyone has a great week.

culcune
11-19-2019, 09:37 PM
Well team, when is the next ride?

I have been mapping out bits of the Arizona Peace Trail. There are a few directions from Dateland which might make a good ride, but the rides go to a couple landmarks in the middle of nowhere, and then we would have to ride back to Dateland to eat and whatnot. Miles beyond the landmarks is Interstate 10, which would be quite a long haul going that far. If you go to Google Maps and put in Buck's Tank, AZ and then do the directions from Dateland, AZ, it will give you directions on paved roads and off-road trails. That is part of the AZ Peace Trail...the bit going to Dateland is considered a spur of the trail. We could start there, ride to Buck's Tank, and then back to Dateland. From Dateland to Buck's Tank it is 38 miles. 12 miles beyond Buck's Tank, but it goes on the KOFA Wildlife Refuge AND Yuma Proving Ground is another landmark called Hovatter Well, which would be an even 100 mile ride, but I am not sure how it works going onto the Proving Ground/wildlife refuge? The advantage of this ride is for those coming from the Phoenix area, Dateland is about 50 minutes east of Yuma, so it is not quite as long a haul if you wanted to get out and explore Arizona, but didn't want to go all the way to Yuma, explore Arizona :)

Another ride and part of the AZ Peace Trail, if you really are adventurous and wouldn't mind coming this far west, is from north of Yuma, Lake Martinez, to the Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, on the western part of the Trail. That ride parallels the Colorado River, so there is some scenery besides rocks/cactus/sand/tire killing thorns. My guess is different sand, river rocks, and other shrubbery with killer thorns! :tup:

However, if you really want to go the full monty, we can map out the entire AZ Peace Trail, it is a 750 mile loop... ;)

Emerikol
11-20-2019, 03:44 AM
Culcune, does this mean you've finally pulled the trigger and you'll be picking up a bike? Or will you be making another commercial for the unstoppable Subaru? I wouldn't mind meeting up for another day-ride. A 750 mile loop would likely be a bit much to try to cram into a Saturday.

culcune
11-20-2019, 06:39 PM
Culcune, does this mean you've finally pulled the trigger and you'll be picking up a bike? Or will you be making another commercial for the unstoppable Subaru? I wouldn't mind meeting up for another day-ride. A 750 mile loop would likely be a bit much to try to cram into a Saturday.

I am trying to figure out how to budget for a bike, and if all goes well, will have one sooner that later! :tup: I might try the Dateland route in the Subaru this Saturday or Sunday if it's not too wet. The 750 mile loop is a pipe dream/joke at this time, but should be a reality by next year. The problem with AZ as you already know is you can't be too far out in the middle of nowhere in the heat, so it will have to wait until next year, or even the Spring of '21.

culcune
12-26-2019, 06:06 PM
From the desert near Wickenburg to the snowy mountain roads near Palmdale, this Subaru has been pretty good to me!

Emerikol
12-26-2019, 11:47 PM
Culcune, Let me know when you'll be back this way. I'll be happy to lend you the Hawk and we can go out for a bit of a scramble. That pretty much goes for anyone, if you guys are ever in Phoenix and get attacked by a two-wheeled obsession, just give me a ring. We'll go find some trouble to get into. In unrelated news, I got to spend all day yesterday in the shop getting the CB engine back together. I just have to set the valve lash and then put the head back on. After that, it's just a matter of getting it back in the bike and all hooked up. Hoping to get it done by the end of the weekend. Hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas!

alex_in_az
10-06-2020, 05:11 PM
Anyone interested in doing this ride again?

Emerikol
10-06-2020, 10:20 PM
I'm down! My buddy may even be back out from GA again! Let's put it together!

culcune
10-06-2020, 10:43 PM
I STILL don't have a bike, lol, but I won't take the Subaru this time. My son's Tacoma's engine just took a dump after 260k miles or so, so I would need a bike to physically ride out there from Yuma. There is a guy who posted a video of him breaking his handlebars on his Brozz in a ride out your guys' way named NickCorona. I am sure he would be interested.

Emerikol
10-06-2020, 11:59 PM
Culcune; If TJ doesn't make it back out, why don't you borrow my Hawk and I'll ride the DR again. Or, someone can drive my Wrangler as support. I don't have a hitch or carrier or anything, so I'm not sure what we would do with a bike that broke down, but we could certainly use the Jeep to get the rider out... The options are pretty much limitless...

culcune
10-07-2020, 08:36 AM
I forgot you rode your DR last year and your friend was on the Hawk. I might take you up on you offer if your friend is not able to make it. Thank you!

This time I will have some boots on my feet so I can feel confident sitting on bikes. Last year, my middle-age slip-on Skechers didn't quite cut it trying to get up on your DR on the dirt :lmao:

alex_in_az
10-07-2020, 09:30 AM
I'm feeling a lot more confident about making the ride without any issues this time. I've got about 2K on the bike issue free and regularly do 100 mile round trips

Musictrek
10-07-2020, 08:12 PM
Sounds like a plan. Or how about Table Mesa road heading east through seven springs camp ground then down to the town of Cave Creek for lunch and end the ride. Table Mesa to Cave Creek is 50 miles one way. give or take.

Emerikol
10-08-2020, 07:20 AM
I forgot you rode your DR last year and your friend was on the Hawk. I might take you up on you offer if your friend is not able to make it. Thank you!

This time I will have some boots on my feet so I can feel confident sitting on bikes. Last year, my middle-age slip-on Skechers didn't quite cut it trying to get up on your DR on the dirt :lmao:

Happy to make the offer! Don't feel bad about not reaching the ground on the DR. I don't even, um, ah, "foot" the bill. I just put my feet down and hope for the best when I need to stop! :lmao:

alex_in_az
10-08-2020, 09:20 AM
Sounds like a plan. Or how about Table Mesa road heading east through seven springs camp ground then down to the town of Cave Creek for lunch and end the ride. Table Mesa to Cave Creek is 50 miles one way. give or take.
yeah, even better. I've not been out that way before

Musictrek
10-08-2020, 11:45 AM
sounds like a plan. Could even start out at the same location like the Wickenburg ride and ride east over to table mesa road without getting on the highway at all. Ride some on the gas pipe line trail which is basically flat to table mesa rd.

Emerikol
10-08-2020, 06:29 PM
So what are the dates?

alex_in_az
10-08-2020, 07:22 PM
So what are the dates?
I can't make 10/24, but apart from that I'm open

alex_in_az
10-08-2020, 07:23 PM
sounds like a plan. Could even start out at the same location like the Wickenburg ride and ride east over to table mesa road without getting on the highway at all. Ride some on the gas pipe line trail which is basically flat to table mesa rd.
that sounds interesting, how many miles would you estimate it is from surprise to TMR?

Emerikol
10-08-2020, 08:09 PM
Will Nov 7th work for everyone? It's the first Saturday in November.

culcune
10-08-2020, 08:28 PM
How is the weather out that way? It is still triple digits in Yuma. Nov. 7th sounds good.

Emerikol
10-08-2020, 10:32 PM
Culcune, it's still triple digits, but only just. I think it only went up to 102 today. The mornings are quite nice at about 75 or so...

Any other takers for the 7th?

culcune
10-09-2020, 10:58 AM
It's been the same, but expected to go into the high 90s. Hopefully it will continue the downward trend. I am guessing by November, the weather will have cooled off like it usually does. But, this being 2020...

NickCorona
10-09-2020, 11:19 AM
Wow sounds super fun, I'll come for sure, can I film it?

I live in Anthem so thats easy :)

alex_in_az
10-09-2020, 02:29 PM
Will Nov 7th work for everyone? It's the first Saturday in November.
that works for me

Emerikol
10-09-2020, 06:26 PM

We already have one guy that usually films the ride; if one is good, two should be a party! Come on down!

culcune
10-09-2020, 07:51 PM

The more cameras, the better :tup:

Emerikol
10-10-2020, 06:03 PM
Quick check in - is the 7th going to be good for everyone that's interested in going?

culcune
10-10-2020, 07:47 PM
For me it is. That if we aren't at civil war :lmao:

Emerikol
10-10-2020, 07:53 PM
For me it is. That if we aren't at civil war :lmao:

When all else fails, vote from the rooftops!

paulsstag
10-10-2020, 10:08 PM
Quick check in - is the 7th going to be good for everyone that's interested in going?

I'm in Silver city NM and would love to ride with you guys. I am off work that weekend so will try to make the ride on my 2020 Brozz 250.

Paul

Emerikol
10-10-2020, 11:08 PM
Happy to have you along!

culcune
10-11-2020, 01:12 PM
Is the 250/"Dual Sport" thing a prerequisite for the ride?
Just wondering, Sounds like a blast.
J

What bike did you want to ride? Keep in mind it is on dirt roads/trails. That just happens to be what most people have. One member was going to come out on his RX3, but had other plans (adventure bikes should be fine). Emerikol's friend came out last year and rode Emerikol's Hawk while Emerikol rode his DR650. Heck, I followed in my Subaru Impreza with member NZBrakelathes as my passenger (he had come out from China to attend the SEMA show in Las Vegas) :lol:

Emerikol
10-11-2020, 06:37 PM
Culcune, it looks like TJ is going to make it out for the ride again this year. There are a couple of options for you, if you're still wanting to do the trip. I'm happy to lend you the Hawk, put TJ on the DR (he has one of the same make and model back in Georgia, just not quite as heavily modified), and I can ride the Ural. It's two wheel drive, so I'm sure it'll do the trip just fine. If you're not feeling like being on two wheels, I'm happy to let you drive the Wrangler and you can be support again this year. The only downside is that there's not a tow hitch for the motorcycle carrier on the wrangler, so if we have a serious problem we either need to fix it on the trail, tow the bike out with a recovery strap, or come back for the bike with parts. All in all, I just wanted to let you know how things were shaping up so far. What are you thinking, partner?

culcune
10-11-2020, 07:22 PM
That is great that TJ is coming out, again! AZ, nor any of us, did not scare him off! :hehe: I would love to drive the Jeep, if you do not mind. The Hawk would be great, too. Heck, I would ride in the sidecar of the Ural :lmao:

Emerikol
10-11-2020, 07:33 PM
That is great that TJ is coming out, again! AZ, nor any of us, did not scare him off! :hehe: I would love to drive the Jeep, if you do not mind. The Hawk would be great, too. Heck, I would ride in the sidecar of the Ural :lmao:

The jeep has a Millennial anti-theft device. Can you drive a manual transmission? If you'd rather ride in the tub, I'm happy to offer that, as well! Whatever you want. You just have to make it out to Phoenix. Is that doable for you?

culcune
10-11-2020, 08:39 PM
I learned to drive stick in my '86 Capri 5.0 back in 1989. Most recently, my son had to learn to drive stick in his grandfather's hand me down 1997 Tacoma 4 x 4, which is what I would have driven had the engine decided not to die last week at 280k mile. So, manual trans is not a problem. I do appreciate your generosity, so you tell me what you would prefer: a chase vehicle is a good idea, and means you can ride your DR. Did you want to try out your Ural in the rough stuff? I figure if we each rode a bike (you on your Ural) the sidecar could be used for emergency stuff like the air pump and whatnot. I was able to ride the Hawk for that brief period of time last year, and it felt healthy. I will leave the vehicle decision up to you, however, since they are your vehicles and I am thankful to be on or in anything for the trip.

Emerikol
10-11-2020, 08:45 PM
Is your son interested in selling the Tacoma? I'm sorta-kinda in the market for a truck. I'm thinking that the Jeep would be limited as far as a chase vehicle, simply because it doesn't have a means to drag a bike out of the trails. Let's plan on you riding the Hawk, TJ will be on the DR, and I'll captain the Ural. Can you make it out to Phoenix? If you're really feeling adventurous (and can chip in a few bucks for the cost of fuel and the rental), TJ and I can fly over to Yuma airport and pick you up and fly you back to Phoenix on Friday, you can get a hotel, and then do the ride. We can either fly you back on Saturday after the ride, or you can stay an extra night and we'll take you back first thing Sunday morning. What's your pleasure?

culcune
10-11-2020, 08:57 PM
A flight would be an adventure! Thank you, but the Impreza is still trustworthy for commuting, and I would have no problem getting to Phoenix. I just think that a few places on the last ride were a bit harsh for the car, and did mess with the front plastics on both sides of the car from bottoming out. If I had the Crosstrek or the Outback, it would have been no problem.

Emerikol
10-11-2020, 09:02 PM
Ok. Once we figure out what time we're going to kick this shin-dig off, we can figure out when you would want to be out this way and ready to ride. It might make sense to drive out that morning, or maybe the night before. Looks like it's coming together!

Bruces
10-11-2020, 09:40 PM
A flight would be an adventure! Thank you, but the Impreza is still trustworthy for commuting, and I would have no problem getting to Phoenix. I just think that a few places on the last ride were a bit harsh for the car, and did mess with the front plastics on both sides of the car from bottoming out. If I had the Crosstrek or the Outback, it would have been no problem.

Sawzall ! Nuff said .

Emerikol
10-11-2020, 09:42 PM
Sawzall ! Nuff said .

If a Sawzall isn't the answer, you've got the wrong question! :lmao:

Bruces
10-11-2020, 11:27 PM
I think culcune might need a hand to purchase a bike ,he is always posting info about new models ,and helping everybody ,he is pretty much furniture in this place ,and can’t be seen riding a plastic scooter in public (well at least with covid he can wear a big mask so nobody recognizes him ),and with all his friends in the biz he can probably wrangle himself a deal on a bike .Its been done for others ,so it’s his turn I figure .Anybody know how to set it up ,I will donate towards it no problem .

Emerikol
10-11-2020, 11:39 PM
i think culcune might need a hand to purchase a bike ,he is always posting info about new models ,and helping everybody ,he is pretty much furniture in this place ,and can’t be seen riding a plastic scooter in public (well at least with covid he can wear a big mask so nobody recognizes him ),and with all his friends in the biz he can probably wrangle himself a deal on a bike .its been done for others ,so it’s his turn i figure .anybody know how to set it up ,i will donate towards it no problem .

hear, hear!! I second this motion!!

Emerikol
10-11-2020, 11:44 PM
User RD1959 has an RX-3 for sale in Monroe, North Carolina. I say we all chip in to pick that up for Culcune, and a little extra for a one-way plane ticket and then have him moto-vlog the ride back to Yuma... http://www.chinariders.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=23114&stc=1&d=1602474261

Bruces
10-11-2020, 11:50 PM
That would be fine with me ,but not sure which bike he would actually want to own .

Emerikol
10-11-2020, 11:57 PM
Not sure either. Just a thought to throw out there. Maybe he could chime in and defend himself from our designs. :hehe:

culcune
10-12-2020, 12:43 AM
Gentlemen, thank you! I really appreciate the offer!! I am waiting on a Worker's Comp settlement from the side job I had delivering pizzas when I lived for a relatively brief time in L.A. That should put me on a Lifan X-Pect :tup: If all goes as planned, I will ride it out from Kronik Racing outside L.A. to Yuma while filming it with a GoPro. The only thing is I doubt this will happen before November 9th's ride. My longer term goal is to get you guys out this way to ride portions of the Arizona Peace Trail. I know it crosses under I-10 in either La Paz or Mohave counties, so that could be a possible starting point since it would be easiest for you guys to meet up. But I am getting ahead of myself, and thanks for thinking of me!! I wouldn't mind riding an RX3 from NC to Yuma.

Musictrek
10-12-2020, 01:27 AM
What about mid nov similar to last year. This summer heat just doesn't want to let up yet.

Emerikol
10-12-2020, 04:34 AM
TJ picked up his plane tickets yesterday for the 7th. I think that Culcune and I are both well set up for then, too (but I certainly wouldn't presume to speak for Culcune). More middle of the month won't work for me since it looks like I have to go back east and smooth some things out with my rental properties and I want to be back in time for Thanksgiving.

calvarez
10-12-2020, 07:54 PM
Can a former RX3 owner join on my KTM 390 Adv?

I have a motorcycle carrier which could go on the Jeep. I also have a Rubicon Gladiator, so another option for recovery if needed.

https://i.imgur.com/5ETzTZY.jpeg

Musictrek
10-12-2020, 10:24 PM
Nov 7th sounds good for me.

Musictrek
10-12-2020, 10:26 PM
The more cameras, the better :tup:

Your drone footage of pipeline trail was cool. I think your drone setup would work out well.

culcune
10-12-2020, 10:30 PM
Your drone footage of pipeline trail was cool. I think your drone setup would work out well.

I believe that was Nick Corona. I, sadly, don't have a drone... :(

Musictrek
10-12-2020, 10:42 PM
You guys want to meet at the same location on Nov 7th 2020?

Emerikol
10-12-2020, 11:03 PM
Same location is just fine for TJ and I. I think Culcune is going to be borrowing my Hawk. So far it's looking like TJ will be on the DR, Culcune will be borrowing my Hawk, and I'll be rocking out with the Ural. What time should we plan to meet? If we go earlier in the morning, we'll be able to do the ride and get lunch before splitting up and heading back to our respective hidey-holes.

Emerikol
10-12-2020, 11:06 PM
Can a former RX3 owner join on my KTM 390 Adv?

Bring it on! The more the merrier!

superduder
10-12-2020, 11:30 PM
I'm very possibly in,
But, going to try to ride a "Champion125" and have no gear except gloves,
a street helmet that's older than the box of dirt Dracula sleeps in,
And a light jacket...
If anything's a problem I can sit it out.
J

Ready to create another "Story Time With J" video! lol

(edit)
I should have said
"I don't own any riding gear, armor, dirt jacket/pants, etc."
I'm coming loaded for bear, gas can, spare tubes/patch kit,
tool kit, spare bulbs, mirrors, first aid kit, as much as I can carry...
And of course, a charged cell phone, and spare battery ( Thanks Tom Mix)

Emerikol
10-13-2020, 07:35 AM
I'm very possibly in,
But, going to try to ride a "Champion125" and have no gear except gloves,
a street helmet that's older than the box of dirt Dracula sleeps in,
And a light jacket...
If anything's a problem I can sit it out.
J

Ready to create another "Story Time With J" video! lol

(edit)
I should have said
"I don't own any riding gear, armor, dirt jacket/pants, etc."
I'm coming loaded for bear, gas can, spare tubes/patch kit,
tool kit, spare bulbs, mirrors, first aid kit, as much as I can carry...
And of course, a charged cell phone, and spare battery ( Thanks Tom Mix)

Not to worry, the trails last time weren't that bad. A light jacket, a decent pair of jeans, some gloves and a pair of boots will be just fine. My gloves come off the shelf at Lowe's, they're the reinforced mechanics kind. I'm not even going to bother with my riding boots this year. I have a vented armored jacket I picked up from CycleGear a couple years back, too. I did replace my lid a few months back, but that was just good practice after my toddler decided to see how far he could throw my old one. :ohno: Looking forward to seeing you there!

Magician16
10-13-2020, 07:03 PM
I'm a snowbird, living in Chandler in the winter. I plan on getting a bike in AZ when I get there, but I don't think I'd have it ready by the 7th. Looks like a fun trip for you guys.

Musictrek
10-13-2020, 07:21 PM
Same location is just fine for TJ and I. I think Culcune is going to be borrowing my Hawk. So far it's looking like TJ will be on the DR, Culcune will be borrowing my Hawk, and I'll be rocking out with the Ural. What time should we plan to meet? If we go earlier in the morning, we'll be able to do the ride and get lunch before splitting up and heading back to our respective hidey-holes.

How about the meeting up window would be from 8M TO 9AM. Leave at 9:15am

alex_in_az
10-13-2020, 07:28 PM
How about the meeting up window would be from 8M TO 9AM. Leave at 9:15am
that works for me

Emerikol
10-13-2020, 10:01 PM
That should be fine for us.

Emerikol
10-13-2020, 10:58 PM
Music, can you please post the address that gets us close to the meetup spot? Are we still going to go to Wickenburg, or are we going the other direction? What about lunch and such? Let's go ahead and put the entire thing together and get a head-count, if that's ok.

culcune
10-13-2020, 11:32 PM
I'm a snowbird, living in Chandler in the winter. I plan on getting a bike in AZ when I get there, but I don't think I'd have it ready by the 7th. Looks like a fun trip for you guys.

I figured we would have more rides after last year's ride, but did not. In the meantime, I was poking around the net and came across the Arizona Peace Trail. It is a 750 mile loop trail that is located in the 3 westernmost Arizona counties including Yuma (where I live), La Paz, and Mohave Counties. Of course, doing the entire loop is a vacation/commitment (about a week's time), but I figured we could do a section round trip for a day's ride, or even attempt an overnight sometime in the later fall or wintertime. Or more Phoenix region rides. Once the weather cools off, there are a lot of places to explore in AZ.

superduder
10-13-2020, 11:52 PM
Music, can you please post the address that gets us close to the meetup spot? Are we still going to go to Wickenburg, or are we going the other direction? What about lunch and such? Let's go ahead and put the entire thing together and get a head-count, if that's ok.

I think the GPS coordinates earlier in the thread are the start point,
Maybe Wendy's at 16859 Bell rd, but that's like 7 miles from the coordinates.
Unless I'm in the completely wrong area.
J

The coordinates mentioned earlier are
33°39'40.95"N
112°31'45.81"W

Just copy and pasted into google maps to find what I think may be the start..

Musictrek
10-14-2020, 12:10 AM
I think the GPS coordinates earlier in the thread are the start point,
Maybe Wendy's at 16859 Bell rd, but that's like 7 miles from the coordinates.
Unless I'm in the completely wrong area.
J

This is the actual meet up location which is the 7 miles west of the Windys
Lat: 33.661166
Lon: -112.529322

Musictrek
10-14-2020, 12:13 AM
I have a link to my Garmin Map Share of the Wickenburg meetup location
Let me know if you can view this ok or not. Click on the Tracks name for the Wickenburg route.. There is a couple other routes on there that lead over to table mesa rd then down to Cave Creek and a route just upto Lake Pleasant.

https://share.garmin.com/RadPaul

Emerikol
10-14-2020, 07:14 AM
The Garmin file takes forever to load, but it finally came up. The Lat/Long coordinates are actually much faster to get with Google. Everything looks good! I know the Ural will do the same route we hit last time, and there's a really nice hole-in-the-wall joint in Wickenburg called the Horseshoe Cafe. Maybe we can eat there if burgers and fries won't hit the spot (but they have burgers and fries, too). Here's a link: https://horseshoecafe.com/?fbclid=IwAR1kOTQeHV2FCzmK3Kq5wqE1j_aGpxeUUaQ_5FQc lTz7XEsCTQ-CP8zQLO4

dh
10-14-2020, 11:12 AM
I figured we would have more rides after last year's ride, but did not. In the meantime, I was poking around the net and came across the Arizona Peace Trail. It is a 750 mile loop trail that is located in the 3 westernmost Arizona counties including Yuma (where I live), La Paz, and Mohave Counties. Of course, doing the entire loop is a vacation/commitment (about a week's time), but I figured we could do a section round trip for a day's ride, or even attempt an overnight sometime in the later fall or wintertime. Or more Phoenix region rides. Once the weather cools off, there are a lot of places to explore in AZ.

Tried exploring the Mohave County leg of the Peace Trail earlier this summer in my wife's tired Navigator. When we got there the 4x4 hubs gave us problems, so we didn't get far but saw some great scenery nonetheless. I visit that area frequently, and early spring is my favorite. Good weather and wildflowers.

calvarez
10-14-2020, 01:42 PM
In order to help people visualize the exact location, is this correct?

https://i.imgur.com/j8T9hHF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/j8T9hHF.jpg

culcune
10-14-2020, 02:40 PM
33°39'40.95"N
112°31'45.81"W

This is from the last ride (page 4 of this thread if the satellite map does not show up)

Musictrek
10-14-2020, 09:31 PM
Music, can you please post the address that gets us close to the meetup spot? Are we still going to go to Wickenburg, or are we going the other direction? What about lunch and such? Let's go ahead and put the entire thing together and get a head-count, if that's ok. I'm thinking of just the wickenburg direction with lunch in town like before. the route over to table mesa rd would be a bit longer and possibly a bit more rough on the trail. I've done that trail in my Jeep Wrangler I used to have and its pretty easy on that. There are a few more rocks on the trail going that way compared to the Wickenburg way. I could go either way on this outing. What does the group think?

Emerikol
10-14-2020, 10:12 PM
Since I'm going to be manhandling the Ural out over the trails, I'd much prefer to do the route we did last time, and then have some lunch in Wickenburg. TJ, Culcune and I can all flat-track it back to my place from there. My vote is for the Wickenburg route.

culcune
10-15-2020, 12:07 AM
What does the group think?

Since I am borrowing his Hawk, I am going wherever Emerikol says we are going :lmao:

culcune
10-15-2020, 12:19 AM
Tried exploring the Mohave County leg of the Peace Trail earlier this summer in my wife's tired Navigator. When we got there the 4x4 hubs gave us problems, so we didn't get far but saw some great scenery nonetheless. I visit that area frequently, and early spring is my favorite. Good weather and wildflowers.

I have not seen any of the trail with my own eyes, but where the route swings from east to west to north to south in Yuma County, that is where the scenery gets a bit more interesting since it starts to follow the Colorado River. It looks a bit more interesting that way until at least Quartzite on I 10. I don't recall if it goes inland from there (boring desert landscape) until Mohave County. It does get to some higher elevations as some people have talked about hitting relatively deep snow and spending a night in some rustic cabins they rented in the snow. I do know that even in the boring desert parts (such as along the eastern north-south part like where it crosses I 10 again) there are old mining towns with some remnants which should break up the monotony. That is where we would most likely have a group ride since that would theoretically be the closest bits to the majority of members in the Phoenix region who could simply get on I 10 and head west if we were to try a day ride on a section of the Peace Trail later in the fall or winter.

alex_in_az
10-15-2020, 09:29 AM
I'm fine either way, at least we know the hazards on the wickenburg trail

Musictrek
10-15-2020, 10:07 AM
I'm fine either way, at least we know the hazards on the wickenburg trail that's right! I did an alternate route by my self to Wickenburg one time and found myself on a steep hill and the engine of course died and I was perched on the slope with a heavy Brozz. I have since avoided that part of the route.

Meetup same location as last year between 8am -9am.
The coordinates mentioned earlier are
33°39'40.95"N
112°31'45.81"W

JerryHawk250
10-15-2020, 10:23 AM
Sure wish I could take some time off and join the group. It would be a pleasure meeting all you guys.

Emerikol
10-15-2020, 10:27 AM
Sure wish I could take some time off and join the group. It would be a pleasure meeting all you guys.

We’d love to have you along! Any chance you could make it? If not this year, I’m getting the feeling that we’ll be doing this again next year.

JerryHawk250
10-15-2020, 10:36 AM
We’d love to have you along! Any chance you could make it? If not this year, I’m getting the feeling that we’ll be doing this again next year.

Do they allow UTV's and ATV's? I know my daughter would be up to it for sure. Not so sure about the wife. That would be a long trip for her on the ATV. I know there are a few free campgrounds around that area. Might be a good vacation. I would need a two week vacation. It about 1500 mile trip one way.

culcune
10-15-2020, 12:12 PM
Do they allow UTV's and ATV's? I know my daughter would be up to it for sure. Not so sure about the wife. That would be a long trip for her on the ATV. I know there are a few free campgrounds around that area. Might be a good vacation. I would need a two week vacation. It about 1500 mile trip one way.

You should research the Arizona Peace Trail if you haven't already. There are YouTube videos of people riding it and/or parts of it. 750 mile loop. Supposed to take 5 or 6 days to do the loop, so combined with the drive, would be a perfect 2 week vacation :tup:

Emerikol
10-16-2020, 07:46 AM

I know all about that drive... I made it when The Missus and I moved out here. In fact, I'm such a glutton for punishment that I did it TWICE! She just had the Mutant, so I figured it was easier to put her on a plane for the trip, and I drove a 26' U-haul with most of our stuff to get the house ready for when she got here with the little one. Then, I flew back to GA and got another U-haul to move the last of our gear and the camper out. Let's just say that U-Hauls aren't exactly known for their creature comforts, and spending a total of five days in them driving across the country is a very inventive method of torture.

As for ATV's and UTV's, Arizona is a state that allows on-road licensing. You "could" make the ride with them, but you would have to get AZ plates and OHV stickers for them. It would be a pretty involved process. Another option would be to drop them off at the start point, and then have someone take the truck and/or trailer and meet us where we would pop out of the trails. Then it would just be a simple matter of loading them back up and getting something to eat. It's certainly not any kind of challenge that couldn't be overcome, it would just take some logistical planning. Let us know how we can help!

JerryHawk250
10-16-2020, 07:59 AM
I know all about that drive... I made it when The Missus and I moved out here. In fact, I'm such a glutton for punishment that I did it TWICE! She just had the Mutant, so I figured it was easier to put her on a plane for the trip, and I drove a 26' U-haul with most of our stuff to get the house ready for when she got here with the little one. Then, I flew back to GA and got another U-haul to move the last of our gear and the camper out. Let's just say that U-Hauls aren't exactly known for their creature comforts, and spending a total of five days in them driving across the country is a very inventive method of torture.

As for ATV's and UTV's, Arizona is a state that allows on-road licensing. You "could" make the ride with them, but you would have to get AZ plates and OHV stickers for them. It would be a pretty involved process. Another option would be to drop them off at the start point, and then have someone take the truck and/or trailer and meet us where we would pop out of the trails. Then it would just be a simple matter of loading them back up and getting something to eat. It's certainly not any kind of challenge that couldn't be overcome, it would just take some logistical planning. Let us know how we can help!
We would take two vehicles anyway. I pull the camper and my wife pulls the trailer for the UTV and Bike. We would just have to bring the car and trailer to the pick up point for the ride back. I don't think it's going to happen this year so I'll start planning ahead for the next one. We are planning on selling the camper and buying a 24 or 28' cargo trailer and converting it into a camper/toy hauler. We'll probably have it set up so we can boondock with it. That way we only need one vehicle when traveling.

Musictrek
10-16-2020, 04:04 PM
I'm fine either way, at least we know the hazards on the wickenburg trail
Excellent fun trip for these 250's

Musictrek
10-18-2020, 05:46 PM
I did a pre ride Sat and found some routes that avoid that residential passthrough on the blacktop like we did last year. I updated the route here. Meetup same location

Emerikol
10-19-2020, 08:41 AM
Any word on the width of the trails? The Ural has a track that's about 4' wide. Think there will be any spots to look out for?

Musictrek
10-19-2020, 10:52 AM
Any word on the width of the trails? The Ural has a track that's about 4' wide. Think there will be any spots to look out for?

It should be ok. The path is wide enough for side by sides

Emerikol
10-19-2020, 01:10 PM
Awesome! Really looking forward to this ride. I think it's going to be a nice diversion to the craziness that has been the past couple months, and is likely to manifest after the election, regardless of which way it goes.

alex_in_az
10-19-2020, 05:35 PM
I did a pre ride Sat and found some routes that avoid that residential passthrough on the blacktop like we did last year. I updated the route here. Meetup same location

There's an "Earth Ship" house under construction at 299th ave/occupado that might be worth a stop to look at. It's build into the side of the river bank on the south side of it and partially above ground on the north side. The compound walls are built of old tires rammed with earth, it's like something out of Road Warrior.

Emerikol
10-19-2020, 05:54 PM
HELL YEAH I WANT TO STOP AND CHECK THAT OUT!!! The Missus and I were discussing building one of those before we moved out here. That's so cool that there's one close! Here's the website if anyone wants to check out what an Earthship is: https://www.earthshipglobal.com/

Here's the link to the home for sale. I wish I would have known about it, at that price I would have bought it up in a heartbeat! https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Wittmann/30039-W-Ocupado-Dr-85361/home/40606298

alex_in_az
10-19-2020, 06:47 PM
HELL YEAH I WANT TO STOP AND CHECK THAT OUT!!! The Missus and I were discussing building one of those before we moved out here. That's so cool that there's one close! Here's the website if anyone wants to check out what an Earthship is: https://www.earthshipglobal.com/

Here's the link to the home for sale. I wish I would have known about it, at that price I would have bought it up in a heartbeat! https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Wittmann/30039-W-Ocupado-Dr-85361/home/40606298
My wife and I looked at it as a possible purchase a couple of years ago when it was up for $240K, that was a hard no from me. it was originally started in the 1980s and is no where near being finished. I think it's had at least 3 owners working on it and just compounding the errors of the guys before them

Emerikol
10-19-2020, 06:57 PM
Wow, I didn't know it was in progress for that long... Yeah, that's a lot of re-work to do. The simple truth is that the people who build these things aren't usually home builders by trade, and as a result you have a lot of things that may look good, but won't last a week under household use. I'm thinking the Missus and I will likely just stick to our original plan and build one from the ground up, no pun intended...

Musictrek
10-19-2020, 09:43 PM
There's an "Earth Ship" house under construction at 299th ave/occupado that might be worth a stop to look at. It's build into the side of the river bank on the south side of it and partially above ground on the north side. The compound walls are built of old tires rammed with earth, it's like something out of Road Warrior.

You know, I saw that ship Sat when i was out. It is like wow I never seen that before. You cant miss it from the road. It looked like no other structure out there.

Musictrek
10-19-2020, 10:03 PM
Awesome! Really looking forward to this ride. I think it's going to be a nice diversion to the craziness that has been the past couple months, and is likely to manifest after the election, regardless of which way it goes.
It will be! Thats one reason I hit the trails sat just to get out and explore. I did a route not shown on the Nov 7th trip and I ended up in a wash that kicked my a$$ and got a little warm out. But, after its all done and over with it was quite the experience on the bike I won't forget.

calvarez
10-20-2020, 11:06 AM
I searched through the thread and it sounds like anyone who might be camping might be doing so BEFORE the ride, at the staging area in Surprise? Not after? I couldn't find any solid plans on what people are doing after Wickenburg. I live in Peoria, so my time and route are easy and flexible. Also, if anyone needs a well-equipped shop for anything, let me know, my garage is open. I'm at the far north end of 67th Ave.

Musictrek
10-22-2020, 10:03 AM
I searched through the thread and it sounds like anyone who might be camping might be doing so BEFORE the ride, at the staging area in Surprise? Not after? I couldn't find any solid plans on what people are doing after Wickenburg. I live in Peoria, so my time and route are easy and flexible. Also, if anyone needs a well-equipped shop for anything, let me know, my garage is open. I'm at the far north end of 67th Ave.

The camping suggestion was from last years ride. At this years meetup location is not really a place to camp. I guess it could be done. I've never seen it there though. The camping would be at the boulders OHV park off of Hwy 74 closer to Lake Pleasant.

alex_in_az
10-23-2020, 11:21 AM
did we meet last year when Tako was visiting? you had an RX3 and I think I met him at your house.

calvarez
10-23-2020, 01:29 PM
did we meet last year when Tako was visiting? you had an RX3 and I think I met him at your house.

Yup, that was me. I sold the RX3, now have a KTM 390 Adventure.

Emerikol
10-24-2020, 05:33 AM
Is there room for one more? A buddy of mine has a BMW GS and was lamenting that he doesn't get any riding in. Would anyone mind if something as huge as a GS joined us? I'm not sure he does much in the way of off-roading, but maybe I can convince him that getting the big GS on the dirt might make Charlie and Ewan magically appear... :lmao:

I didn't want to just invite him to come along without at least getting the ok from you guys. Thoughts?

Musictrek
10-24-2020, 11:53 AM
Is there room for one more? A buddy of mine has a BMW GS and was lamenting that he doesn't get any riding in. Would anyone mind if something as huge as a GS joined us? I'm not sure he does much in the way of off-roading, but maybe I can convince him that getting the big GS on the dirt might make Charlie and Ewan magically appear... :lmao:

I didn't want to just invite him to come along without at least getting the ok from you guys. Thoughts?

If he can keep up with my slow Brozz hes welcome lol. Or wait, is it my Brozz thats slow or my body as it gets older. I don't mind if he joins us at all.

culcune
10-24-2020, 06:16 PM
If he can keep up with my slow Brozz hes welcome lol. Or wait, is it my Brozz thats slow or my body as it gets older. I don't mind if he joins us at all.

The ironic thing I remember was reading Horizonsunlimited Hubb years ago. The discussion was on Morocco and northern Africa in general. A guy mentioned taking his Big BMW something or another to Morocco and was being passed left and right on the more sandy sections of a dirt road by locals on 150cc Chinese bikes. If I remember, the discussion was about these 'top of the line' machines not being very good on the very rough parts of places like Africa because they are just too big and heavy.

alex_in_az
10-24-2020, 06:49 PM

the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned. It'd be nice to check out some higher end bikes

Emerikol
10-24-2020, 07:34 PM
So I owe everyone an apology; I was wrong and my buddy doesn't have a GS, he has an RS. A decidedly unsuitable bike for offroading. He won't be making it, but TJ has his plane tickets, and Culcune has been in touch with his travel plans. We're all set to have the Hawk, the DR, and the Ural out there!

Musictrek
10-24-2020, 09:16 PM
So I owe everyone an apology; I was wrong and my buddy doesn't have a GS, he has an RS. A decidedly unsuitable bike for offroading. He won't be making it, but TJ has his plane tickets, and Culcune has been in touch with his travel plans. We're all set to have the Hawk, the DR, and the Ural out there!
Well that Ural will be pretty cool to see that on the trail!

Emerikol
10-25-2020, 08:51 AM
Well that Ural will be pretty cool to see that on the trail!

I'm really looking forward to it! Not that you really 'ride' a Ural. It's more like a prolonged argument as you go down the road, and eventually you and the motorcycle come to a tenuous agreement not to kill each other... :ohno:

alex_in_az
10-30-2020, 06:28 PM
Just did my oil change and tightened up all the bolts on the bike ready for next saturday

Musictrek
10-30-2020, 08:25 PM
Just did my oil change and tightened up all the bolts on the bike ready for next saturday When i did a ride recently, I lost the whole license plate and bracket. Luckily, i noticed and turned around. Got some locking nuts on it this time.

Emerikol
10-30-2020, 08:43 PM
Haven't done anything to get ready... Such a slacker, I know. TJ will be out Thursday evening, so we have all day Friday set aside to wrench on the wheels. I'm going to a costume party this Saturday, then going to get my tailwheel endorsement on Sunday. Not any time to get started this weekend, but between TJ and I, Friday should be plenty of time to go through the bikes.

Musictrek
10-31-2020, 01:54 PM
Haven't done anything to get ready... Such a slacker, I know. TJ will be out Thursday evening, so we have all day Friday set aside to wrench on the wheels. I'm going to a costume party this Saturday, then going to get my tailwheel endorsement on Sunday. Not any time to get started this weekend, but between TJ and I, Friday should be plenty of time to go through the bikes.

One week away! man its a nice day right now. Hope next weekend is just as good.

culcune
10-31-2020, 07:29 PM
One week away! man its a nice day right now. Hope next weekend is just as good.
Call me picky, but it is a wee bit too warm, here in Yuma at least :hehe: Maybe it's my old age complaining, or the fact that it's been 100+ for several months straight up until a few weeks ago. It was actually cool last Monday, then the temps crept up. I am holding out hope for 60s/70s next week. Then I'll probably complain it is too cold, at least in the morning :lmao:

Musictrek
10-31-2020, 11:26 PM
Call me picky, but it is a wee bit too warm, here in Yuma at least :hehe: Maybe it's my old age complaining, or the fact that it's been 100+ for several months straight up until a few weeks ago. It was actually cool last Monday, then the temps crept up. I am holding out hope for 60s/70s next week. Then I'll probably complain it is too cold, at least in the morning :lmao:
It did warm up a bit. I'd take that 70 for sure.

Emerikol
11-01-2020, 04:39 PM
Looks like this week is going to be low to mid 90's, but Saturday there's going to be a cool-down. Looks like our ride is going to start in the low 60's, and the high is only going to be in the upper 70's. I think that's going to be great! It might get a little warm for TJ and I in the garage getting the bikes ready on Friday, but it'll be worth it. I have a garage fridge full of beer, and a workshop with ceiling fans. Really looking forward to this ride!

culcune
11-01-2020, 08:03 PM
I think I will take Friday off and drive out to help with the bikes.

NickCorona
11-02-2020, 12:41 AM
Everything sounds awesome, however I am up in Anthem, that start point is pretty far for me... I'd ride over but my tires would probably be bald by the time I get there!... maybe we'll see!

Emerikol
11-02-2020, 06:05 AM
CycleGear has really good prices on dual sport tires. The only rub with them is that you have to bring them the rim. They only mount and balance the tires, they don't do any work on the bike itself. Might be worth looking into.

https://www.cyclegear.com/

Emerikol
11-02-2020, 06:08 AM
I think I will take Friday off and drive out to help with the bikes.

Oh I see how it is, once I mentioned the beer fridge you're all over it! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Seriously, come on out! There's plenty of room in the workshop (not really, it's amazing how much room five motorcycles takes up) and I just hung my big screen TV out there for tunes while we work. It's also very handy for looking things up on the bikes. Let me know if you have any special requests to stock in the beer fridge, and we'll see you on Friday!

culcune
11-03-2020, 08:00 AM
Everything sounds awesome, however I am up in Anthem, that start point is pretty far for me... I'd ride over but my tires would probably be bald by the time I get there!... maybe we'll see!
You can do it!