ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Hawk Clutch problem (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=22182)

Lit Hawk 09-11-2018 09:29 PM

Hawk Clutch problem

So yesterday I was riding some trails with some high grass and all of a sudden my rear wheel stopped spinning. Seemed like the clutch wasn’t engaged so I tried to adjust clutch lever and was really tight. So I had to leave the bike over night and walk home, this morning I got my tools headed to my bike and had to release my clutch cable as much as it would go to finally get the clutch engaged and it still feels like it’s not fully engaged. Well I was able to get it home but felt like I was riding the clutch the whole way so I couldn’t get enough speed to get out of second. Bike was running fine before, clutch was adjusted good but now it seems like I need a longer cable to fully engage the clutch. I just took side cover off and inspected clutch I could find nothing wrong. Any ideas on what could have happened, I need y’all help. :hmm:

Lit Hawk 09-12-2018 12:09 AM

Figured it out!! Worn clutch plates, I guess they got warped. Should have known by the lack of slack and definitely the smell. It’s pretty distinct. Rolling once again!:yay::yay:

AresROC 09-12-2018 01:11 AM

Wow, how many miles did you get out of your original clutch?

And do y'all use clutch to change gears or not?

timcosby 09-12-2018 02:52 AM

i sometimes dont use the clutch to change gears. its easier gojng up thru the gears than going down but with practice you can go down too.

JerryHawk250 09-12-2018 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lit Hawk (Post 290399)
Figured it out!! Worn clutch plates, I guess they got warped. Should have known by the lack of slack and definitely the smell. It’s pretty distinct. Rolling once again!:yay::yay:

Did you pull the clutch pack from the old spare parts engine?

Lit Hawk 09-12-2018 09:34 AM

Not sure on how many miles because my speedometers broke but not that many miles. I was a dumbass though and forgot to screw the dipstick in after putting oil in and rode it for about 5 min before I noticed:doh: luckily I was right by an auto parts store. Only lost about half a quart so I topped it off and sprayed the bike down with a whole can of degreaser. Oil was everywhere (please don’t judge me) bike ran fine though. Went home inspected bikeveverything looked fine except for the weird smell. I thought might have been oil burn. Took the bike to the car wash and went riding some more. Ended up in some wood trails and I had to ride the clutch a lot to get through the tall grass and mud and that’s where my clutch finally gave. Must have been on verge of warping from no oil. When I inspected them they looked fine, I cleaned them and put back together. Bike still did the same so more research online on how the clutch actually works and symptoms of warped disks. I took it back apart and put in different clutch disks. I could tell right away with how the clutch arm felt compared to the burnt onesthat that was the problem.

JerryHawk250 09-12-2018 09:42 AM

What sprockets are you running when you trail riding? Too tall a gear ratio can put a load on the clutch. That's why I swap out from a 17 to a 15 on the front for trail and mud.

Lit Hawk 09-12-2018 12:06 PM

I run a 16/43. Pretty stupid of me to try riding through all that mud and tall grass. Also had the wife on the back. We were trying to get to the beach next to the creek. Never made it and had to walk about an hour home. She wasn’t to happy. Live and learn, won’t make that mistake again

JerryHawk250 09-12-2018 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lit Hawk (Post 290424)
I run a 16/43. Pretty stupid of me to try riding through all that mud and tall grass. Also had the wife on the back. We were trying to get to the beach next to the creek. Never made it and had to walk about an hour home. She wasn’t to happy. Live and learn, won’t make that mistake again

That gear ratio is good if it's just you on the bike but I guess with the extra weight and clutch set tight it must of been slipping. Glad you got her back up and running again.

Oh yeah, She won't let you forget , so don't worry about making that mistake again. :hehe: