View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 12:29 PM   #29

My PZ30 carb rebuild kit came early... nice! So back into the carb I go. I quickly realized my issue. The kit came with a new needle seat... the small piece under the main jet holder tube... that protrudes slightly up into the area under the slide... that the slide needle seats into. Well... my carb was missing this piece. D'oh! No wonder it ran like crap!

Well... got it assembled again with all the rebuild pieces. The main and pilot jets were marked with the Keihin "K" symbol (clones?). The kit main jet was a #110 and the pilot was a #38. I set the mixture screw at 1 turn out and reinstalled the carb.

I'm happy to say it started on-choke and actually idled! I'm pretty stoked. It's still running too lean though. I turned the mix-screw out at least 2 turns and it was still hanging revs and popping on decel. The plug is ashen white too. But I did putz it around the yard in first gear (hey... the gears shift and work!). Put a whopping 0.8 miles on it! haha.

So next up. Gonna check for a carb to engine air leak (starting fluid method). Assuming that isn't the issue, the carb will come off again and I'll put in my oversized (~#45) pilot jet back in and give it a whirl. Once I get the bottom end jetted right, we'll move on to street testing and the upper range jetting. I'm hoping the #110 main will be sufficient there. I love carbs....

Cheers!
'07 Kinroad XT200GY Runmaster (sold)
'07 KMD GY6 150cc ATV (sold)
'07 Kangchao 250cc ATV Monster (sold)
Baja Moto DB-30 "Doodlebugs"(x3) (sold)
'06 Hi-Bird 200 parts bike (sold)