Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2015, 01:12 PM   #1

My 2007 Kinroad XT200GY Runmaster

Howdy Gang,
Guess I'm officially one of the club now! Found a deal to good to pass up this past weekend.

2007 Kinroad XT200GY "Runmaster" from the original owner who only put 62 miles on it back in '09 and been sitting in his garage, started occasionally, ever since. It is darn near showroom looking. Still even has the tire nubbies! He gave me his purchase docs... he paid $1700 back in '08... and I got it for $750!

So here's what it is:
- made by Kinroad Xintian Motorcycle Manufacture Co, LTD
- named "Runmaster" by US importer
- 163FML engine (per stamp)... counter-balanced by the looks of it
- engine emissions certified by New Star
- Odd, 5 speed down gear pattern (neutral at top)
- 15T front / 46T rear sprockets
- 2.75-21" front / 4.10-18" rear tires
- front disk / rear drum brakes
- stock rear rack (pretty sturdy)
- small "egg" catalytic converter in the header pipe
- PZ30 carb with remote choke lever (beside ignition)

Thread Summary Details:
- PZ30 carb dialed-in: #110 main, #40 pilot, 1-2/3 turns out on the mixture screw, Needle clip one below middle.
- Stock: 428 chain, 124 links (15/46 sprockets)
- Mod: 428 chain, 126 links (17/46 sprockets) ** ideal for street
- Front (counter) sprocket: 20mm shaft
- Rear sprocket: 4 bolt square mount, 90mm opposite-corner-to-corner, w/ large retainer C-clip
- Rear wheel/axle bearings: 6202 series (x2)
- Stock rear shock dimensions
-- Bolt center -to- bolt center: ~9 7/8" = ~250mm
-- Bolt holes (both): ~ 0.45" = ~11.4mm
-- Spring height: 6" = ~150mm
-- Spring diameter: 2.66" = ~67.5mm
-- Perch/mount width (both): 1.3" = ~33mm

Pics...

Cheers!

Last edited by ripcuda; 05-11-2016 at 12:47 PM. Reason: summary details added

Old 04-20-2015, 01:14 PM   #2

So first thing... time to take it apart!

When I bought it, it wouldn't start... but honestly, I didn't want it to start since I knew the carb would be gummed up and the gas stale... so I didn't care. I'm going through it with my fine-toothed comb anyways first.

So far I'm pretty pleased overall with the condition... as I peel back the layers. I've heard the early years China bikes were hit or miss... and I'm finding mine to be pretty solid. No scarey welds or missing bolts. I did find the wire to the starter solenoid melted on the exhaust pipe... thus no start... easy fix. Also found a connector off the magneto that had 2 of it's pins in the connector not seated and probably not connecting well... easy fix. I've been going through all the bolts and nuts... using locktite where needed and torquing everything down. So far, so good.

The plastics are in good condition but a tad thinner and more fragile than say the ones on my son's Yami TTR-90... as expected. I went through the carb... and as expected it was varnished a tad. Got it all cleaned up nice and should be good to go now... I opened up the pilot jet just a hair (using my #'ed drill bits).

Last up is inspecting the engine mounting bolts... a couple looked undersized to me. Then I want to check the steering head for proper bearing lube and torque setting... then it's reassembly time. Hope to have it running in the next few days!

Cheers!

Old 04-20-2015, 01:38 PM   #3

Congratulations! You got a practically new motorcycle, in mint condition, for a very good price. Thanks for posting the nice photos.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-20-2015, 01:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
When I bought it, it wouldn't start... but honestly, I didn't want it to start since I knew the carb would be gummed up and the gas stale... so I didn't care. I'm going through it with my fine-toothed comb anyways first.
I can totally appreciate that. I've bought several bikes without ever trying to start them, because I know I can resolve whatever I face, and because I don't want to risk anything due to PO negligence.

What a time capsule! The PO paid nearly $1000 to store it. Unreal.

The bike looks really good.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-20-2015, 01:52 PM   #5

I like that bike. Is it full size, its hard to get the scale in the photos? I don't know why but I like the rectangular headlight in the vertical position as opposed to the standard horizontal.

/

Old 04-20-2015, 03:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
... Is it full size, its hard to get the scale in the photos? /
Yes... it's a full-size, adult-sized bike. It has a 33" seat height (I measured).

Here is the manufactures website for it: (note my engine is diff)
http://www.kinroadmoto.com/index.php...products_id=39

Quote:
I don't know why but I like the rectangular headlight in the vertical position as opposed to the standard horizontal.
Yeah... it's different. There's a D250 at Scooter Depot's website that has similar styling.

Cheers!

Old 04-20-2015, 04:05 PM   #7

You got a great deal. I can't wait to run into my own deal. Just a matter of time.

/

Old 04-20-2015, 04:09 PM   #8

I can't put my finger on the exact reason but I just really like the look and layout of this bike. It looks very rideable if that is possible. I like the way the fuel tank isn't crowded by the steering and the way the fuel tank cap sits up high and straight.

/

Old 04-20-2015, 06:06 PM   #9

Adjuster, Google a 1981 XR200 (not the R version), and you'll see the same bike. Our friends in China welded in a tube for a monoshock and installed longer forks, but it is otherwise the same frame. In fact, the twin shock mounts are often still there, and used to mount a rear rack, just like Ripcuda's.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-20-2015, 07:01 PM   #10

Very cool Weld I just read the Wiki on that bike.

http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_XR_series

/

Old 04-20-2015, 08:17 PM   #11

I remember those--the US headquarters are/were out of Texas. They became famous for their little off-road karts/buggies which they still might be selling.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-20-2015, 11:39 PM   #12

Yeah... all the Kinroad stuff you find these days on the web is buggy and cart related... it seems.

Got some more done on my Runmaster this afternoon.
- changed the oil... the old looked to be clean regular looking oil (good), and cleaned the oil filter screen which was already clean (doubly good).
- went through all my engine mount bolts... pulled them, greased the shafts and locktited the nuts back on. Did the same for the rear swingarm and shock mount bolts as well.
- adjusted the valves. They were tight so glad I did. They are .002"(I)/.003"(E) now.
- put the carb back on and adjusted throttle and choke cables
- adjusted the clutch cable and rear brake lever

Noticed some flaking paint on my black small fuel tank... on the underside and one spot on the top. The paint just peels off in big chunks. I'm going to sand it down and give it a repaint. Should be easy enough... it's mostly hidden behind the plastics.

Next up, check forks and steering head bearing, repaint the fuel tank, repair the burned wires on the starter relay, and finish putting it back together!

Cheers!
'07 Kinroad XT200GY Runmaster (sold)
'07 KMD GY6 150cc ATV (sold)
'07 Kangchao 250cc ATV Monster (sold)
Baja Moto DB-30 "Doodlebugs"(x3) (sold)
'06 Hi-Bird 200 parts bike (sold)

Old 04-21-2015, 12:00 AM   #13

I do recall the tank indicated less than 2 gallon capacity on the Runmaster site--that would be the only 'negative' of this bike. Most of the new Chinese enduros now come with 3 gallon tanks, so I wonder if one of the newer tanks would be a bolt-in for the Kinroad? I think the rear hub is Honda clone, most likely a XL185 from around 1980, meaning rear sprocket choices are near endless! Front sprockets, too, but for some reason, the newer Chinese enduros have moved away from the XL185 design making aftermarket sprockets more difficult to come by the past few years?! Again, you should have very little trouble finding sprockets for your bike! I would suggest a 17 tooth front/44 tooth rear for maximum streetability if that is your plan.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-21-2015, 07:41 AM   #14

That is a very nice unique bike. I have never seen a gy-2 variant w/ the counterbalanced engine. My lifan 2008 gy-5 came with that motor and I liked the smooth operation. My only suggestion would be to lube the speedo cable, and perhaps put some foam / rubber to isolate the plastics from the tank to avoid vibration / chatter of the plastics. (may not be needed w/ that motor idk). Oh, and the battery box is known weak-point depending on how hard you are on the bike....

Interesting that this is the first gy-2 I have ever seen that appears reasonably geared from the factory. All that I have seen to date came with the giant 55t rear, 15t front, rather than a more reasonable 17 / 44.

enjoy!

Old 04-21-2015, 12:13 PM   #15

Yeah... I'm thinking the tank is a bit on the small side too. Factory says 1.4 gal... which appears about right. Think I'll go with it for now and see what kind of range I can get out of it. A larger tank might not fit with the plastics.

Thanks culcune for the tip about sprockets. I want to see how the 15/46 goes... then I'll try a 17 front sprocket (17/46). The rear sprocket is a 4 square bolt pattern... didn't measure it yet.

I agree wilser... I haven't seen any pictures of this early a GY variant with a counter-bal 163FML either. I was very surprised when I saw this... and happy!

And thanks wilser for the tips about speedo lube and isolating plastics vibes. I'll be doing those both. And I can see how the battery box hanging way back there could be a weak point. I considered seeing if I could move it into the airbox and using a pod filter. Have to scope that out some more.

Cheers!
'07 Kinroad XT200GY Runmaster (sold)
'07 KMD GY6 150cc ATV (sold)
'07 Kangchao 250cc ATV Monster (sold)
Baja Moto DB-30 "Doodlebugs"(x3) (sold)
'06 Hi-Bird 200 parts bike (sold)