Thread: Templar X 250
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2023, 05:32 PM   #975

Steering stop bolts

I let my neighbor who is a motorcycle cop for the county sheriff take my Templar X 250 out for a spin to see how it handles after my suspension and transmission tweaks.

One feedback I got was he came up against the steering stop bolt limits while doing some figure eights out back of the school so time to get those adjusted for allowing more steering input.

One option is to remove the steering stop bolts entirely. Folks tend to think they will deform in a big crash and help protect the frame from getting damaged. Others tend to think in a big crash, no one is going to be repairing their bike isn't going to happen even if it was a Honda.

Name:  BoltsRemoved.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  213.3 KB

The other option is to run the steering stop bolts down to increase the steering throw to either side before full lock.

Name:  OtherSideAllTheWayInDistanceToBeSplit.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  215.2 KB

As can bee seen in the photograph above the other side steering lock bolt was run all the way down and this side when run down butted up against the other bolt before it could bottom out.

This distance would need to be split between both sides equally to have a setup where you still had steering stop bolts contacting the triple tee but had the most steering throw allowed without having to remove them entirely.

Name:  HomeMadeTools.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  130.9 KB

So I made some high tech home made tools to help clock the rotations on each bolt so that they were equal distance on each side while still butting up against each other.

Just a quick tip, put the mark on the sticky side of the tape so when turning with your fingers you don't wipe the ink reference mark off.
- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Last edited by Texas Pete; 01-08-2023 at 10:47 AM.