Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2022, 02:30 AM   #1

Question X-pect has a tap/knock under load (break-in)

Ok. So I decided to pull the trigger and have put my bike together. 2 problems.
I have a slight tap or knock under load in 3,4 and 5. In say in the 3 to 4.5k rpm range. Im still in my break in period. Under 50 miles. Am I just hearing normal valve workings some other mechanicals or should I worry? I don't hear it when bring rpms up in neutral. My 2nd is my Speedo is non working. Uninstalled and installed it twice now. Help?

Old 04-23-2022, 07:14 AM   #2

The x-pect does sound funny. I wasn’t sure about the sound when I first got mine also. As you start to increase the RPMs, it has a sort of deeper, hollow, almost knocking type sound. Wait until you get up to some higher RPMs it really gets loud when you get near 6k-7k. In fact, it takes over as the primary engine noise.

I’m wondering if that’s the sound you are hearing. Can you describe it a little bit more? Is it metallic?

As another wild shot in the dark, it may be connected to the speedometer. Could it be something knocking in the speed sensor? Somehow, those two things could be related. Especially because you don’t hear it in neutral. But when you are moving along, you hear it, yet you have no speed indicator. What are you seeing for the speed? Zero? No display at all?

Is the chain properly tightened?

There is also a buzzing from the fuel pick up in the tank. A lot of people have reached in there and bent that thing so it doesn’t buzz anymore. I just left mine alone. It buzzes. Lol

I think we need a lot more details and maybe some pictures of problems. And how you installed the speedo

Old 04-23-2022, 08:08 AM   #3

Chinabikes come with notoriously tight valve clearances. Just because your bike was assembled for you does not mean they adjusted the valves. In fact they very likely didn't. That's the factory's job, not the assembler's. I'd definitely check your valve clearance, whether related to this problem or not. Lifan now recommends .006" for both intake and exhaust.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 04-23-2022, 10:59 AM   #4

Ok. I would certainly call it metallic. It sounds like it is From the head area. I Certainly not feeling like it is coming from the speedometer. That is kind of relieving to hear that they can be noisy. I haven't checked my tolerances but I guess that Should be something for me to do. I tried to search but does anybody have pictures of their speedometer? Mine has the 2 slots in the wheel hub then just the plastic cup reader that slips into the hub. I assume the slots are associated to the speedo.

Old 04-23-2022, 11:15 AM   #5

OK, that definitely sounds like the valves then. I guess yours came tight. I think the place I bought mine from adjusted them loose because I have like almost 5000 miles on it, no valve adjustment, and never had a problem.

It is due however for the big scheduled maintenance so I am doing the valves for the first time now.

Old 04-23-2022, 02:23 PM   #6

Is everything else working on the display, rpm, turn signals, gas gauge, gear indicator, engine check light? Sounds like you have checked the connections for speedometer sending unit where it wires in and the connectors to be sure there is no issue with a connector. The sending unit just has the outer shell and the slide piece that goes on the spindle with prongs that connect to the slots in the wheel. Prongs are okay? As it spins it breaks the plane of a magnet in the housing and generates an electrical signal. I think that is how it works anyway. If all else is working then could be the instrument cluster is not reading the signal or there is no signal being sent, either way it would be a warranty claim.

Old 04-23-2022, 02:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
OK, that definitely sounds like the valves then. I guess yours came tight. I think the place I bought mine from adjusted them loose because I have like almost 5000 miles on it, no valve adjustment, and never had a problem.

It is due however for the big scheduled maintenance so I am doing the valves for the first time now.
Wouldn’t you think tight valves would be more quiet? Sounds like a valve adjustment is the right thing to do, but isn’t causing the noise issue. Maybe just a normal noise?

Old 05-24-2022, 08:38 PM   #8

Smile If it's primarily under load, check for exhaust leaks at the header gasket....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imdustyblack View Post
Ok. So I decided to pull the trigger and have put my bike together. 2 problems.
I have a slight tap or knock under load in 3,4 and 5. In say in the 3 to 4.5k rpm range. Im still in my break in period. Under 50 miles. Am I just hearing normal valve workings some other mechanicals or should I worry? I don't hear it when bring rpms up in neutral. My 2nd is my Speedo is non working. Uninstalled and installed it twice now. Help?
I had a similar bit of pre-ignition from a header gasket leak, or lack of an original gasket seal between the header and the cylinder head. It's an easy $10 fix and happens to be well reviewed on a lot of air cooled bikes at Amazon.

https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=30903

Give this a try, it's great for un-weldable stainless steel slip-on exhausts.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GDVKHMN
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lifan X-Pect Intake and Exhaust.jpg (72.3 KB, 127 views)