Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2021, 04:32 PM   #1

which 250 is the better trail bike?

i'm sure an argument can be made every which way for which of the 2019-2020 250cc enduros is the best (trail vs road vs all around).

i'm new to riding so i don't know what specs i should be looking for when considering the bike that's right for me.

i live in an area where there are several trails and pits in close proximity. i'm mostly looking to ride trails and mess around in fields and pits, but i'll have to be riding streets as well to go trail hopping.

which of the below should i target, or is the difference so negligible that it doesn't even matter?

-tao tbr7
-hawk (carburetor)
-hawk (fuel injected)
-brozz (can't find any in stock, so shying away from this one)
-vitacci raven (can't find any info on this; assuming it's a new name for an existing model)
-OR something else not listed?

Old 04-20-2021, 04:47 PM   #2

Hawk 250 carb

NO HILL TOO STEEP NO MUD TOO DEEP
The Brozz | The Hawk Upgrades, Accessories, Etc...
Assembly Checklist: Brozz 250 | Hawk 250
~idle_purr

Old 04-20-2021, 05:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by idle_purr View Post
Hawk 250 carb
From a Brozz guy? Thought we'd stick together

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 04-20-2021, 05:56 PM   #4

21-18” wheels means no Brozz .Hawk carb is the winner .

Old 04-20-2021, 06:19 PM   #5

Orion RXB 250

Old 04-20-2021, 06:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
From a Brozz guy? Thought we'd stick together
No Brozz's in stock until the end of the year :( I would suggest the Recon...

I do get equal time on the Hawk 250 as well, and I do really love it.

NO HILL TOO STEEP NO MUD TOO DEEP
The Brozz | The Hawk Upgrades, Accessories, Etc...
Assembly Checklist: Brozz 250 | Hawk 250
~idle_purr

Old 04-20-2021, 06:49 PM   #7

If you're riding mostly trails, I'd go with the Orion 250.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 04-20-2021, 07:38 PM   #8

Didn’t know about the Orion until right now. Looks sweet. The 2 links I’ve found so far are for June pre-orders. Know off hand any in-stock companies I should contact? Thanks in advance

Old 04-20-2021, 07:49 PM   #9

For sure no matter what you go with if you're after mostly off road performance get the 21" front. Got the Hawk 250 Carb myself

"Do Wheelies and Forget your Feelies"

"If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?" -unknown

Old 04-20-2021, 08:01 PM   #10

Combing over a bunch of sites. Hawk might be the only available option. Only thing makes me nervous about pulling the trigger on a hawk is the mixed info I’m getting on if it’s truly nj street legal. But it’s NJ. Even if the bike I get is street legal now, pretty good chance it won’t be in a year or two

Old 04-20-2021, 08:02 PM   #11

I own a hawk and an orion rxb250l. Orion is the bike you want for trails with a little street in between. Only one supplier unless you can find a used one for sale nearby. Make sure the bike you plan to buy has been succesfully registered in your state by others, there are threads here with lots of info. Some states will not register certain makes /models for street use.

Old 04-20-2021, 09:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tflo View Post
Combing over a bunch of sites. Hawk might be the only available option. Only thing makes me nervous about pulling the trigger on a hawk is the mixed info I’m getting on if it’s truly nj street legal. But it’s NJ. Even if the bike I get is street legal now, pretty good chance it won’t be in a year or two
Don't quote me but I actually think the Hawk is not able to be registered in NJ....however the Hawk DLX might be. I'm not an expert on this and I'm north of you in the Live Free or Die state so I probably have no clue what I'm talking about.

But if you like the Hawk, and EFI is appealing...I think that one comes with On Road approval. You could give a call to your DMV or town clerk also.

"Do Wheelies and Forget your Feelies"

"If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?" -unknown

Old 04-20-2021, 09:45 PM   #13

Hawk Carb, all the way... There's so much more support for it, and so much more you can do, both when you're out in the field and need to patch it back together, and when you're in the garage doings mods and farkles.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 04-20-2021, 10:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tflo View Post
You are limited in NJ, at least a few months ago. The Hawk DLX was (still is?) rejected because its VIN is very similar to the regular Hawk. The regular Hawk is technically NOT street legal federally by the DOT. It is EPA certified as an 'Offroad Dirtbike'. Many states will plate converted dirtbikes, and since a converted dirtbike is one that takes an offroad bike and adds street equipment, the Hawk meets all those requirements and is registered and plated; hence many happy carbed Hawk owners (including your neighbors in NY). RPS decided they want a street legal bike, and put their Hawk DLX through federalization as an EPA/DOT certified bike. It is certified as an 'On Highway Motorcycle' for 49 states. Yet, NJ has put a loophole in where it does NOT work out to get registered and plated there. Several months ago, a member found out that NJ was only registering bikes from a list from 3 years ago, not to mention when Hawks were plated there, they pulled the plug on the loophole. Hence, the DLX is being treated as a carbed Hawk. I wouldn't purchase one unless and until I obtained a VIN number and walked into the DMV office and found out firsthand if that bike could be plated.

I believe the Bashan bikes (Brozz, Brozz Recon, Storm, and Raven (Vitacci renamed the Bashan BSR 250 as the Raven) should be okay to register, as well as the BMS CRP250. If NJ is going off their 'old' list, the Bashan VIN numbers should be good to go, but again, I would check personally using a VIN number. Maybe a member or members could PM you their VIN number of various bikes to see which ones NJ would 'Yay' or 'Nay'.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-21-2021, 02:04 AM   #15

One more thing to think about when you consider your choices-the Orion RXB is not on the EPA/DOT approved list and I also emailed the company (Orion) who played the "who...what...where" game. I ended up providing them them the link to the EPA spreadsheets (thanks Culcune!) and they emailed me back saying I probably would not be able to register the bike in my state (Colorado). Trust me, do your due diligence!