Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2021, 09:00 AM   #1

Grin Operation: Red Hawk - Skyd's Build thread

Hey Everyone! So I ordered my new Hawk 250 from TxPowersports Saturday night. I figured while I wait, I'd start a build thread to track my progress, mods, and misfortunes.

They provided me a tracking number but it's not working yet.....maybe I'm just impatient and I need to wait and check tomorrow. It's for Saia, which I've never heard of here in the North East.

Anyway, onto the fun stuff. I tend to get a bit wordy, so I'll try and section this off for both my own benefit and anyone who might be trying to follow along.

I ordered the standard carbureted hawk, no gimmicky Bluetooth speaker or anything like that. It's still chilly here in NH and a little snow on the ground so I have a good month before any type of riding weather hits. I plan to take my time assembling the bike, going over it well and making a few upgrades before it's even started.

At first I was thinking I wanted to run it stock and then upgrade just to see the difference, but naaaaaah.

So here's the plan:

General Assembly will include the following (in addition to the obvious)

1. Checking and Loctite/lock washers on fasteners
2. Drain shipping oil from forks and refill with 210ml of 15w fork oil
3. Drain the engine oil and refill with T4 Rotella 15W40
4. Check and grease wheel bearings (marine grade)
5. Install zerk fittings to swingarm and steering and grease (marine grade)
6. Lube all cables after checking for proper routing/binding etc.
7. Throw old spark plug in the trash and put in a fresh NGK D8EA
8. Check electrical connections and apply dielectric grease
9. Flush brake fluid and replace with Synthetic DOT3 or 4

Fuel/Air

1. Airbox mod
2. Swap in a PZ30B carb
3. Rejet carb as needed

Drive

1. Regear with 16 tooth front & 45 tooth rear sprockets
2. Install new Niche X-Ring 130 link chain
3. Replace Wheel Bearings with quality ones

Controls

1. Quick Turn Throttle
2. New Grips

Engine

1. Swap head gasket for TT250 head gasket
2. Magnetize Drain plug with a rare earth magnet

Suspension

1. Once the bike is assembled I’ll check rider sag and I’m expecting to have to make spacers (I’m about 220lbs without gear)

Ok, so those are my top priority items for the assembly process before the starter button is ever pressed. I’ll let this marinate for a bit, and then I’ll come back to talk about other considerations and secondary “priorities” and undoubtedly I’ll ask for input and opinions from you guys!

Feel free to jump in with anything I may have forgotten here. I’m a shade tree mechanic and ex CNC machinist so I’m pretty handy but I don’t have all the answers for sure, and most of the time I wing it and figure stuff out as I go.

I’m also planning to take pics and video during this process and I’m kicking around the idea of building my youtube channel that’s been mostly idle, we’ll see.

If you hung in til the end of this post, congrats you get a gold star, Thanks for the interest!!

Last edited by Skyd; 03-18-2021 at 01:32 PM.

Old 03-18-2021, 09:25 AM   #2

Keep us posted!
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 03-18-2021, 09:31 AM   #3

Quick Turn Throttle.. is this something you're fabricating or buying?

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 03-18-2021, 09:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post

This isn't the one I'll get, just happened to be the one that was easily accessible at the moment but have a look.....
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...im/refuge08-20

Old 03-18-2021, 12:18 PM   #5

I would say you have a solid plan to start with. Now the fun part of waiting around for the bike to arrive.

Quote:
Aka a quarter turn throttle. Something that is somewhat necessary when running the pumper carbs in order to actuate the accelerator pump with enough speed/gusto to get the AP to squirt its fuel when needed.

Also useful for a non-AP carb if you just dislike the ridiculous throttle sweep of the stock throttle housings.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 03-18-2021, 12:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post

Also useful for a non-AP carb if you just dislike the ridiculous throttle sweep of the stock throttle housings.

Which I do, this was a planned upgrade no matter which carb I went with.

Old 03-18-2021, 12:26 PM   #7

Check this out:

https://www.chinariders.net/showthre...ht=quick+twist

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 03-18-2021, 12:51 PM   #8

Quote:
That's great if you are just wanting to run the stock carb. The issue with the AP carbs is the cable itself that comes with them is designed around the quick turn roller guide throttle like he linked above and will likely be way too long for the stock throttle as well.

Old 03-18-2021, 12:53 PM   #9

For the price, might as well just do it right anyway, they aren't all that much on eBay

Old 03-18-2021, 01:14 PM   #10

Good plan. The one thing I might consider is upgrading the wheel bearings while you have it apart. For $20 or so total at build up something to consider. Once you get it together its hard to take it apart later. LOL.

Old 03-18-2021, 01:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Rider 27 View Post
Good plan. The one thing I might consider is upgrading the wheel bearings while you have it apart. For $20 or so total at build up something to consider. Once you get it together its hard to take it apart later. LOL.

Hmm good point, I'll have to look into that that's a pretty good idea. I keep kicking around the idea of replacing the studs for the sprocket also but I know these things keep getting small upgrades year to year so I don't wanna get ahead of myself and spend money I don't have for stuff I maybe don't need.

Bearings may be a great idea though, thanks!

(updated my plan above)

Old 03-18-2021, 01:37 PM   #12
Banned

As an All Balls distributor I will be working with my rep to put together some bearing kits for these bikes. Also will be doing a tapered bearing swap kit for the steering heads.

Old 03-18-2021, 01:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DohcBikes View Post
As an All Balls distributor I will be working with my rep to put together some bearing kits for these bikes. Also will be doing a tapered bearing swap kit for the steering heads.

If that happens anytime in the near future I'd gladly buy a set of wheel bearings. Keep us posted on how you make out.

Old 03-19-2021, 09:55 AM   #14

What up china bikers......

Just a little update - my tracking number for Saia kicked on last night as the bike was picked up from TXPowersports. For reference I ordered the bike late Saturday night (like midnight) and it left their dock yesterday (thursday). I already got a notification that it left the shipping depot in Dallas and it's headed east.

So while I anxiously await the phone call to setup delivery, I'll be collecting parts and tools and what not.

I also have the PZ30B clone carb on the way and a set of main and pilot jets.

I'll be doing some serious shopping this weekend and expect to drop a few more Benjamins in the process.

I ammended my original post above to include brake fluid change and new wheel bearings. I could get crazy with this but then I might as well have built the bike from scratch myself. So I think this is my starting point, let it be written, let it be done. That is my plan of attack, and then I'll throw a leg over it and start the break in process.

I'll be back with some more ideas and questions I've been kicking around but thought I'd give an update this morning and break up my posts so maybe they're not novels. Catch ya soon!

Old 03-19-2021, 12:27 PM   #15

I already have the numbers posted for both the wheel bearings and the All Balls steering stem bearing and seal kit. Just saying...