Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2021, 08:43 PM   #1

2021 TBR7 Valve Noise

I have a TBR7, got it built and running, I have not put more than 25km on it and decided to do check the valves before riding it more. Entire process went smoothly, finding TDC on compression stroke and getting the valves within tolerance (0.04mm - 0.06mm for exhaust and intake). After putting the bike back together and turning it on, the bike starts right up but there is now a very loud clicking/tapping noise from the top of the engine.

The stock valves were super tight and there was 0 clearance at all, I tried to keep the valves towards the lesser end of the tolerance 0.04-0.05 because as they warm up I know they do expand slightly, but is there any reason to be concerned about the loud tapping. I know people say tappy valves are happy valves but is there a point when tapping too loud is bad?

Old 06-12-2021, 08:52 PM   #2

It's hard to say because what's noisy to one person might be completely normal for another. These engines seem to be a bit noisy. I know that saying tappy valves are happy valves but I don't totally agree. It's causing premature valve train wear if they are too tappy. Are you sure that you didn't mistakenly set it to .05" instead of mm? it's a common mistake and easy to do. The second question is how sure are you that you were on the compression stroke, again, another common and easy mistake to make.

If both of those are a go, I'd also make sure you're oil level is good. I was using my dip stick to check it and thought it was fine but the engine seemed a bit noisyI then checked using the sight glass and it was only about 1/4 up the sight glass. Added a little bit of oil and she settled right down.

I dunno if that helps or not, but a few things to check on anyway.

"Do Wheelies and Forget your Feelies"

"If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?" -unknown

Old 06-13-2021, 03:02 PM   #3

Guys, it is necessary to do the valve adjustments cold or clatter will happen. I'm hoping just a reminder

Old 06-13-2021, 03:22 PM   #4

Good point there. Let the engine cool off overnight, and then recheck the adjustment.

Old 06-13-2021, 04:34 PM   #5

Recheck and make sure you are doing the valve adjustment on TDC of the compression stroke. If done at TDC of the exhaust stroke the valves will have too big of a gap and be very noisy.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-13-2021, 04:49 PM   #6

As per Megadan's instructions, I have found that the easiest way to find TDC is to remove the spark plug, remove the side inspection plug with the top inspection plug and remove the valve cover (duh!). Then grab a 3/8th's ratchet with an extension and a 14/15/17mm socket (whatever it is), insert in side inspection and connect to the flywheel bolt and turn the engine (with the ratchet and socket) counter-clockwise until you see the intake valve cycle up and down...then turn the engine counter-clockwise slowly...until you see the F(fire) show up, and then slowly turn until you see the T (top dead center) show up...NOW... adjust/check your valves...easy-peezy!

Tags
adjustment, tbr7, tolerance, valve