Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2021, 10:57 AM   #1

Front brake fluid level ?

I have never lost any fluid from front or rear brakes on my Brozz in the 1300 miles I have ridden it, but I have always noticed that the sight glass shows high leaning on the kick stand, and very low standing straight up. Is it correct to fill it ,and replace the top while upright, and rely on the gasket to hold the fluid in ?, or should I just leave it as is? Thanks

Old 07-16-2021, 11:18 AM   #2

Hey Bill Hilly, I would think middle on the glass when your bike is upright and yours seems good as is. It may be a little low to brake wear but not a problem! My thoughts

Old 07-16-2021, 12:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4Fun View Post
Hey Bill Hilly, I would think middle on the glass when your bike is upright and yours seems good as is. It may be a little low to brake wear but not a problem! My thoughts
Mine is probably a hair low then. I haven't had the top off the master since I assembled the bike. It has not lost any fluid, and the brakes work well. But I have just been wondering about how much fluid most people run. I think if mine were to show half way up the glass, it would be above the top when on its stand, but I guess that's what the gasket on the cover is for.

Old 07-16-2021, 12:43 PM   #4

I think your just fine! Your right about the gasket it is a seal. Know matter what level the fluid will slosh and that is what it's there for!

Old 07-16-2021, 12:56 PM   #5

Just another thing is expansion that's another reason half way while the bike is upright. Same as the site glass on engines for those that have them half way and for those that don't, check with the bike upright to get an accurate reading on the dip stick without screwing it in.

Old 07-16-2021, 04:06 PM   #6

It's a good idea to flush that fluid that came with the bike if you haven't done so as well, and then again every year or two. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it attracts moisture and flushing every so often goes a long way in the preservation of your brake components and performance.

"Do Wheelies and Forget your Feelies"

"If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?" -unknown

Old 07-16-2021, 04:38 PM   #7

I'm almost positive that we don't change the brake fluid when there's no problems. Reason why maybe seals then would have to be changed too do to the different fluid.

Old 07-16-2021, 05:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4Fun View Post
I'm almost positive that we don't change the brake fluid when there's no problems. Reason why maybe seals then would have to be changed too do to the different fluid.

Keep an eye on your brake fluid, and always change it when it begins to darken, using only the specific brake fluid recommended by the manufacturer. Darkening is a sign of water contamination, which will happen over time just from moisture in the atmosphere. Water contamination means degraded braking performance and deterioration of brake system parts. Always use only fresh fluid from a sealed can, and throw away any remainder of fluid once the job is done. Once that can is opened, the fluid begins to degrade immediately.

Old 07-16-2021, 05:41 PM   #9

I always buy the big jug of brake fluid, and use it over time. I replaced the front rubber brake lines on my truck about a month ago, and used open fluid that I have had for a couple years. I keep the lid on it, and I have never noticed it looking dark. I still have some in the same jug, and I may be a long time using it up. I will be sure to take notice of how it looks before I use it in anything though.

Old 07-16-2021, 05:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
I have never lost any fluid from front or rear brakes on my Brozz in the 1300 miles I have ridden it, but I have always noticed that the sight glass shows high leaning on the kick stand, and very low standing straight up. Is it correct to fill it ,and replace the top while upright, and rely on the gasket to hold the fluid in ?, or should I just leave it as is? Thanks
Guys I think this post is what we're talking about! I wouldn't be to concerned unless he had a braking problem! No lost of fluids....and fluid level a touch low at 1300 miles means everything is good !!!

Old 07-16-2021, 06:00 PM   #11

One other thing guys do you change your brake fluid on your truck or cars regularly...?

Old 07-16-2021, 06:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldenslow View Post
Keep an eye on your brake fluid, and always change it when it begins to darken, using only the specific brake fluid recommended by the manufacturer. Darkening is a sign of water contamination, which will happen over time just from moisture in the atmosphere. Water contamination means degraded braking performance and deterioration of brake system parts. Always use only fresh fluid from a sealed can, and throw away any remainder of fluid once the job is done. Once that can is opened, the fluid begins to degrade immediately.
A thought here darkining is not a sign of moisture, more so a normal sign of heat! These systems are sealed for a reason...moisture!

Old 07-21-2021, 02:42 PM   #13

Not changing your brake fluid is a recipe for disaster. Every other year is probably sufficient though. Brake fluid is Hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture, and yes even a sealed brake system can attract moisture.

There are 2 main issues with this, water causes corrosion and it lowers the boiling point of your brake fluid. Both things are bad and if I'm going down the road at 50mph on two wheels with no airbags or cage around me...I want my brakes working. Stopping is more important than going.

A word of caution about using big containers of brake fluid over time, they too will attract moisture. I actually used to do this when I didn't know better and I've stopped for obvious reasons.

Lastly - as far as not changing the fluid in our cars....I actually think we should and I don't know why we don't but corroded lines, stuck slave cylinders, and calipers that have gone bad all may have been helped by water contamination. If the fluid in your reservoir is turning brown...it's bad.

"Do Wheelies and Forget your Feelies"

"If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?" -unknown

Old 07-21-2021, 04:59 PM   #14

Hi Skyd, I truly believe that these modern day oils are modern day marvels! My thoughts are why we can go much longer before oil changes like in the old days. Reread the first post and if he had moisture in the oil it wouldn't be low it would be higher. If like most folks do you drive long enough and the water evaporates no problem! If moisture was in the brake system then it too would evaporate through where it came in from? I have an '03 Vrod with the same brake fluid in it and brakes work! But it only has 2600 miles on it so the back to how good the oils that are produced these days are! My thoughts for the sake of conversation

Old 07-22-2021, 06:54 AM   #15

Bill its all good,I've never changed brake fluid for any reason. Brakes work ,don't mess with it. Have fun and ride safe. Now engine oil is a another story,change a lot. Mine is very dirty every time. 700 miles and 4 oil changes,and will be changing it again today. Good luck.