Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2011, 05:34 PM   #1

Building an high comp OHC

OK Been sick for the last week so I've been sitting at home researching engine combo's as I want a bit more power in my Saga.

Was originally thinking of doing the XR200 swap but these motors are becoming hard to find.

I think I have come up with a good recipe for a high compression OHC that should make good power. LT230 10.5:1 overbore weisco piston with LT250s cams.
Looking for the OHC with a 66mm bore same as is used in the xf200 (what is the code for that 166fmm?)

I have found hooper http://www.hooperimports.com/product..._id=200ccV%2DH but that is a 163fml with a 63mm bore.

I have also seen a 169fmm http://www.crossfiremotorcycles.com/...engine-4t.html But that uses a 15mm wrist pin like the XR200 but I doubt the suzuki cams would work. I Guess it's possible the Xr200 cams would work in that

Anyone know of a good supplier in the north west? Or have a used OHC they would part with?

I'm going to try EMailing some of the Konker dealers to see what they have to say.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #2

how much modification are you planning on doing to the frame? the water cooled 250cc race engines would probably fit in these smaller frames nicely. of course you would have to deal with the radiator ect then.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:55 PM   #3

Not planning on having to mod the frame, as far as I know all of the aircooled 200-230cc motors used the XR200 mounts and should be swapable.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #4

Hooper is somewhere in western WA.

I love it when people blaze new trails!

FWIW I'd not change the piston and the cam at the same time. That way you'll have an easier time troubleshooting if necessary.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #5

Yea dont really think the engine from hooper is what I'm after though.

Also looks like the Zongshen watercooled 169mm engine must be EPA certified as I think it what is used in the Konker 250kpx

http://www.konkermotors.com/dirt-bikes/kpx250X.html

And PRI in Vancouver has a bike that may use the same engine.

http://pocketrocket99.tripod.com/id41-2.html

I think it's possible to build a bike with 22-25 crank HP and get the weight down to 220lbs or so. That would be a fun ride on the street!

The thought of turbocharging my 167fmm has also crossed my mind lol

Old 03-28-2011, 01:09 AM   #6

What an interesting idea! :idea:

Is your existing engine a pushrod type? If so, I can't imagine finding a high performance came for it. You could always have one reground. Do you know the bore of your engine for certain? Are you planning on an overbore, or do you hope to just hone the cylinder and slide a new piston in? Do you know the wristpin size in your engine?

Either way, I'd try a Wiseco. This one is 65.5mm, and I'd bet that your engine is the same: http://www.wiseco.com/ProductSearch.aspx

BTW, I believe that the CRF230 and the XR200R use the same piston, but I'm not sure. There is a big bore kit available for the 230 to take it to 250, and I bet it would fit an XR200R to take it to 220 (or so, haven't done the math).

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-28-2011, 01:26 AM   #7

Yes my current engine is a Pushrod 167fmm, I dont really see it being worth trying to do a build up on that. Like you said there are no cams avalible, I'd probably have to get a custom piston and I just dont see being able to spin the RPM needed to make good power.

I'm thinking of buying a OHC cam engine, building that up and swapping it in. I could then sell off my low KM pushrod engine to help cover some of the costs.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:37 AM   #8

How do you feel about a Frankenstein creation?

I've often wondered if an XR200R cylinder could be mated to the bottom end of a pushrod engine. You could pick up a used XR200R cylinder and head, and then buy the piston and cam of your choice.

Some assembly required. Commence to revving to your heart's content.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-28-2011, 02:48 AM   #9

Mmmm might be more trouble than it's worth.
Even if the stud spacing was the same and the oil gallies all lined up, I dont see how you'd drive the timing chain?

Old 03-28-2011, 10:11 AM   #10

If there's no provision for a timing gear on the crank, it would mean swapping cranks. That would allow for a stroker crank out of a 230. 8)

Old 03-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #11

OH BOY . love this stuff . As a famous Ross once said I'M ALL EARS .

Old 03-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
How do you feel about a Frankenstein creation?

I've often wondered if an XR200R cylinder could be mated to the bottom end of a pushrod engine. You could pick up a used XR200R cylinder and head, and then buy the piston and cam of your choice.

Some assembly required. Commence to revving to your heart's content.
If a guy really wanted to go nuts he could use a head from a 1983-1984 XR200R with the 4 valve head. I'd add an oil cooler though as that engine had issues.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:46 PM   #13

Not having any luck tracking down an engine so far, looks to be one on ebay but they wont ship to Canada, wont even take messages from Canadians!

Emailed a bunch of places with no luck and same deal with the suppliers on Alibaba. Found a place that has the Konker on for $2200 right now, might end up trying to sell my Saga and going that route if nothing turns up.
Only alternative seems to be buying an XR200, swapping the motors and selling the XR off again. Dont think the wife would like that though!

Such is the life of a power hungry tinkerer I guess

Old 03-30-2011, 07:02 PM   #14

Keep your eyes open for another China bike with a 230, pushrod or OHC. You could then harvest the engine and rebuiuld it to your liking, retaining the rest of the bike for parts. SoWaG and I picked up a 230 Hummer bike for $100 a few months ago.

You can use Letterlock as a shipping address for US eBay purchases, and I can pick it up for you. Check out www.letterlock.com I pay $4 to have stuff shipped there.

Assuming you can get that past the boss.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:08 PM   #15

Yea when I was in Manitoba I had a brokerage account in ND.
Will definately keep that in mind, thanks much mate!

I have a local guy that builds custom 200cc bobbers (which are dead cool by the way). He uses what he calls a Honda 200cc hybrid motor. I have a sneaking suspicion it my be a Honda Phantom engine which looks to be what the 163fml is based on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Phantom

He's going to see if he can get me one!

Pretty much idetical spec except it has a 6 speed.
Now I'm wondering if an XR200 top end could be bolted to that, that would be a nice little project.