Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2011, 11:48 PM   #1

Ut Oh EPA in canada

i just heard from a sales rep at XMOTOS seems they are gearing up for EPA ,because they will need it anyway . as canada intends to adopt the program .

Old 05-11-2011, 01:23 AM   #2

Re: Ut Oh EPA in canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by recracer
i just heard from a sales rep at XMOTOS seems they are gearing up for EPA ,because they will need it anyway . as canada intends to adopt the program .
It's just a matter of time until it spreads. 'Green', you know....
Wait till everyone has to go PRK standards....like all the American cars are now. To the best of my knowledge, I can buy a car in Idaho, brand new....and bring it into the PRK and register it.
EPA is first.... PRK is next.
It's all 'good intentions', you know........ 8O

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-11-2011, 08:31 PM   #3

I thought we already were EPA? All our cars and bikes have been smogged out since the early 80's (late 70's even?). Well, maybe not that early for the bikes but I know my Konker had all the smog stuff on it. Could be I don't understand what "going EPA" means though, it might be referring to something else?

Edit: Oh, maybe theyre referring to dirt only and off road machines? I think they are exempt at this point.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #4

Those are arriving with smog stuff too. I think that we're too small of a market for the factories to make non-smog stuff just for us. Probably cheaper to be consistent.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-11-2011, 09:16 PM   #5

In the usa everything being imported ,must have an Epa certificate . on road off road ,i think we even have Epa on lawnmowers these days . according to the Xmotos rep , everything coming to canada and the usa will have to have cats and an evap system . down to a different material for the gas tank . tank is still planed to be plastic ,partly because of the diffculty to form metal into the required shapes . and the pricing will rise to reflect the extra work . really i just posted this ,because after trying to import and engine that did not have Epa . i realized even though ,they all mean well to go green . it gets abit in the way of some of our freedom . i thought how bad could a single cylinder 300cc engine be that we can't have it .

Old 05-11-2011, 11:58 PM   #6

It's funny, I bought a new self propelled Husquavarna lawn mower a year or so ago. It has an automatic choke (you set it and it closes on it's own) and no throttle control. I was told that they make it that way to conform to emissions regulations. Even our lawnmowers aren't safe!

Side note: Best darn lawnmower I've ever had. Replaced an ageing (70's vintage) Toro I got from my Grandfathers estate.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by recracer
In the usa everything being imported ,must have an Epa certificate . on road off road ,i think we even have Epa on lawnmowers these days . according to the Xmotos rep , everything coming to canada and the usa will have to have cats and an evap system . down to a different material for the gas tank . tank is still planed to be plastic ,partly because of the diffculty to form metal into the required shapes . and the pricing will rise to reflect the extra work . really i just posted this ,because after trying to import and engine that did not have Epa . i realized even though ,they all mean well to go green . it gets abit in the way of some of our freedom . i thought how bad could a single cylinder 300cc engine be that we can't have it .
On the bright side....only the cat may hamper some performance....and they're getting better every day. Evap and air pumps don't effect performance whatsoever.

Thanks to the PRK OverLords, we've already grunted through all the 'bad' smog devices from 1970's on.... The 80's were horrifying.
It's why you can now buy a V6's that put out over 300 HP, get over 25 MPG and burn completely clean.
Other than expense, there's not much wrong with that.

As MICRider also stated, even lawnmowers have become one-pull, no throttle starting.....and burn clean with lots of power.
The whole 'smog' thing is really getting there.....

I can see out where Spud or Doc live, where populations are so low, it doesn't really matter, but here, where there's a human every 5 feet, I can honestly vouch for how much cleaner our air is now than it was 20-25 years ago, mainly thanks to modern smog devices.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #8

Those are virtually the same comments made by David Freiburger of Hot Rod magazine. He can remember the sky being hazy all the time in the seventies.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #9

Thanks to the PRK OverLords, we've already grunted through all the 'bad' smog devices from 1970's on.... The 80's were horrifying.
It's why you can now buy a V6's that put out over 300 HP, get over 25 MPG and burn completely clean.
Other than expense, there's not much wrong with that.

Doc's gotta agree. There are f'in minivans nowadays with the horsepower of Corvettes from the late 70's and early 80's. They also get great mileage and handle and stop as well as a Mustang or Camaro of that same era. Boring as watching paint dry, but very good transportation modules.

I can see out where Spud or Doc live, where populations are so low, it doesn't really matter, but here, where there's a human every 5 feet, I can honestly vouch for how much cleaner our air is now than it was 20-25 years ago, mainly thanks to modern smog devices.

That, my friend, is why I chose to live in what I affectionatly call 'The Great Frozen Desert'. I like big skies and open desert more than crowds, Starbucks, and shopping malls.